Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
A little crossthread syngergystic love with the Thorsby thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507210

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Lobok posted:

Uh, no he doesn't, Tony. Interesting that that's the first thing your mind went to...

Iron Man #38

That guy is lighting up a pretty hefty blunt there.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Things were different back then.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

a pipe smoking dog posted:

And look at those black-light posters there.

ChakAttack
Apr 13, 2011

Punisher's there because he's my boyfriend's favorite. :shrug:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Kerry Callen is one funny person.
Just a fake cover.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Why is Rocky IV a bad gift for Black Widow?

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
He fights Ivan Drago in it and beats the CCCP

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
This will explain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsJnxlXepsY

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Pretty much all of the Great Comics That Never Happened are gold, but yeah, that one's a goodie. So's this:

Art by Dean Trippe, words by Chris Sims.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I thought for a second there it said "Superman melts Frosty!". It could be a great bit of Super-dickery. Heat vision: Frosty's a puddle. Freeze breath: Frosty's back in action! Rinse and repeat.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

I love the :what: expression on Thor as he reads Dawkin's book. Atheism must be a harder sell when you've got a super-god on every street corner in NY.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Madrox posted:

I love the :what: expression on Thor as he reads Dawkin's book. Atheism must be a harder sell when you've got a super-god on every street corner in NY.

I don't see why. With so many superdudes running around, what - to the average observer, lacking the omniscient viewpoint of the comic reader - makes Thor 'a god' instead of 'an alien who thinks he's a god' or 'a mutant who thinks he's a god' or 'a robot who can cry--- er, thinks he's a god'?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

What kind of God gets beat up by a guy with a crowbar?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shouldn't Fury be getting Piranha 3DD instead? Hasselhoff is in that one.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The MSJ posted:

Shouldn't Fury be getting Piranha 3DD instead? Hasselhoff is in that one.

Cause this was made a year ago.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I don't see why. With so many superdudes running around, what - to the average observer, lacking the omniscient viewpoint of the comic reader - makes Thor 'a god' instead of 'an alien who thinks he's a god' or 'a mutant who thinks he's a god' or 'a robot who can cry--- er, thinks he's a god'?

Because Asgard is a real place that can be objectively shown to exist?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Internet Wizard posted:

You mean the alien's city, sitting in their home dimension?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Internet Wizard posted:

There are no atheists in the Marvel universe. You have like 10 people in New York alone who know God personally and have his cell phone number somewhere.

Meanwhile, in Cap 319:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Internet Wizard posted:

So's Texas, but I don't think anyone in the Marvel universe thinks gods come from there.

His point is that, with so many superpowered beings showing off, how is the average human being supposed to determine which one is a god and which one is just claiming to be? People can still be athiest and disbelieve in the idea of gods, because you have mortal men who became godlike by manmade means. Any so called 'god' could just simply be an extradimensional traveller who, in his own reality, spent too much time in front of a microwave.

I mean, look at Wundarr the Aquarian.

Speaking of gods, though, Scarlet Spider #11 had a little exchange that cracked me up.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Superboy #93.

And excuses from #95:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

John Dyne posted:

His point is that, with so many superpowered beings showing off, how is the average human being supposed to determine which one is a god and which one is just claiming to be?

He can wait til he dies and gets tortured forever for being an atheist, it's not complicated.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Boogaleeboo posted:

He can wait til he dies and gets tortured forever for being an atheist, it's not complicated.

Unless he dies in a glorious battle and then it's Valhalla for him!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Have you seen the last few big things to happen to the Norse? I'm pretty sure that still counts as "tortured forever".

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

John Dyne posted:

So's Texas, but I don't think anyone in the Marvel universe thinks gods come from there.

His point is that, with so many superpowered beings showing off, how is the average human being supposed to determine which one is a god and which one is just claiming to be? People can still be athiest and disbelieve in the idea of gods, because you have mortal men who became godlike by manmade means. Any so called 'god' could just simply be an extradimensional traveller who, in his own reality, spent too much time in front of a microwave.

I mean, look at Wundarr the Aquarian.

This. I mean, 'Asgard is a real place' is nice and all, but how's that prove the existence of gods? It proves the existence of dudes with superpowers who live in an extradimensional space called Asgard, is all. And that's awesome and all, but that doesn't make them gods. There's a place called Four Freedoms Plaza, and superpowered beings live there, too - are they gods? "Course not.

(hell, the comics themselves kind of support this argument, what with the whole 'Asgardians are aliens, not gods' thread that ran through the books for more than a few years; Thor's godhood or lack thereof fluctuates over time)

I think 'Marvel atheism' probably has less emphasis on 'is there a God?' and much more emphasis on 'what is God? What makes a powerful being a god?' But I think it's silly to say that there aren't any atheists in the Marvel Universe, simply because in Marvel, 'miracles' are vastly more commonplace - and are accepted as something other than divine intervention. It's even easier to dismiss theist beliefs by saying stuff like 'Oh, the Red Sea thing? Yeah, Moses was a mutant, that's all.'

(also, this isn't a funny panel, so any further discussion on this topic really ought to be moved to Derailed)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

(also, this isn't a funny panel, so any further discussion on this topic really ought to be moved to Derailed)
Or maybe we should just make it a drat sticky, because it seems to come up on an all-too-regular basis.

Anyway, have some laffs. Hawkeye #5: Clint, you have to be prepared before you try to do dramatic entrances.

Ooo, just one shoe away from the badass thread, Barton.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Here's a panel. From Wolverine and the X-Men #20, a couple pages ago Warren summoned this energy sword, much to his own surprise as well as that of Mystique and the new Silver Samurai, depicted here as Warren rushes off to save Shark Girl from Mystique, or perhaps the other way around.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Who's doing the art on that new Hawkeye series? I love it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Opopanax posted:

Who's doing the art on that new Hawkeye series? I love it.

That's Javier Pulido. He trades off with David Aja. And yeah, they're both awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ow ow foot ow.

We've all said these words.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Ooo, just one shoe away from the badass thread, Barton.

Not his fault he lost a shoe to a Hand ninja earlier in the issue! No one goes around packing a third shoe in case of ninja attack! :D

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Danny Rand might. But he wears those soft slippers so they're easier to pack.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

404GoonNotFound posted:

Danny Rand might. But he wears those soft slippers so they're easier to pack.

Danny Rand wearing shoes is more of a gift to his enemies than anything else.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Superboy #93.

And excuses from #95:

DC's cop out here is beautiful. Clearly, that was what was intended in the original comic!

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Dear DC, How the gently caress do X-rays/heat vision cause eggs to hatch? Congrats on killing the embryo in two completely different ways!

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Kharmakazy posted:

Dear DC, How the gently caress do X-rays/heat vision cause eggs to hatch? Congrats on killing the embryo in two completely different ways!

Come on, it's simple. The penguin embryo develops by absorbing thermal energy from its mother sitting on the egg; when it reaches a certain threshold, it hatches. All eggs work that way. Superboy's heat vision just delivers the same amount of warmth much faster, causing the penguin to develop and hatch instantly. You can tell this is true by how the readers' letters do not question that part.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I like to imagine that whoever wrote the story just knew literally nothing about penguins, and when the illustrator got to that point they just stared at the notes for a long moment, trying to decide whether or not to push pack and face all the trouble that could cause before just saying 'gently caress it, baby penguin flies home'.

I mean even if there was some sort of confusion and it was supposed to be a puffin or something instead of a penguin, it's not like a newly-hatched chick of any kind can fly, they go through that puffball phase of being blind and useless.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Come on, it's simple. The penguin embryo develops by absorbing thermal energy from its mother sitting on the egg; when it reaches a certain threshold, it hatches. All eggs work that way. Superboy's heat vision just delivers the same amount of warmth much faster, causing the penguin to develop and hatch instantly. You can tell this is true by how the readers' letters do not question that part.

I love the idea that eggs only need X amount of heat energy, and it doesn't matter over what time period the absorption happens. If you want your chick to hatch, screw sitting on it for days - just pop it in the oven!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

As funny as it is to see a penguin fly, I think it'd be funnier if the penguin just waddled, and Superman followed accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ashcans posted:

I like to imagine that whoever wrote the story just knew literally nothing about penguins

I like to think that they all were baked as gently caress. It probably made a shitload of sense when they were writing/drawing it.

• Locked thread