Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm hoping they can keep some of the menace I've always associated with the scene, not just from reading it but from the audio-reading by Tolkien that I used to listen to over and over and over and over again when I was a kid :allears:

Riddles in the Dark

Tolkien manages to get across both an oddly "cutesie" approach to Gollum along with an underlying sense of menace. I hope they can capture that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I thought the idea with Gollum was that he doesn't really take it seriously at first because he doesn't think he'll lose until he loses, finds out he lost the precious, and loses his poo poo

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Mahoning posted:

I thought the idea with Gollum was that he doesn't really take it seriously at first because he doesn't think he'll lose until he loses, finds out he lost the precious, and loses his poo poo

Not quite
He doesnt think he will lose, but when he does he gets pissed the last question is not fair "whats in my pocket?" and goes back to his island to get the ring and kill Bilbo anyway. He realizes that THAT must have been what was in Bilbos pocket and procceeds to lose his poo poo. At no point was he not serious as in 'not going to eat Bilbo' Its a life and death scene and the trailer at least showed it really lighthearted which might be bad news.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I guess the theater here is showing the 48fps on the ETX and Real3D screen but not the IMAX screen. If figure that when it said IMAX & ETX on the Hobbit website that they were on the same. I'm going to go ETX 48fps. Maybe 2nd viewing will be IMAX.

edit: and I downloaded the 48fps trailer from youtube and tried to play it in VLC, but 2x is too fast. It plays normally at 1x, so I don't know how to get that to work. I have HTML5 in youtube, but I can't get it to show the speed controls either.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 8, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Um. The last line at the end, "Time's up." is really creepy.

I think it will have plenty of menace. And the "cutesy" thing in Two Towers was Gollum trying to get in good with Frodo.

KingKapalone posted:

I guess the theater here is showing the 48fps on the ETX and Real3D screen but not the IMAX screen. If figure that when it said IMAX & ETX on the Hobbit website that they were on the same. I'm going to go ETX 48fps. Maybe 2nd viewing will be IMAX.

edit: and I downloaded the 48fps trailer from youtube and tried to play it in VLC, but 2x is too fast. It plays normally at 1x, so I don't know how to get that to work. I have HTML5 in youtube, but I can't get it to show the speed controls either.

Real IMAX theaters that still show film prints can't show 48fps. Newe "Liemax" IMAX theaters that use digital projectors can. ETX is like the AMC off brand version of a Liemax IMAX.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Interesting. The ETX theater is the one showing it in 48fps, so I'll see that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Gollum was awful in LotR, he will be awful in this.

Literally nobody in the world seems to agree with me, but goddamn do I hate Serkis's interpretation of the character. Here he'll be even more goofy and cartoony, which will make me like him even less.

It's absurd how much better the cartoon got him than Jackson did. Dead inside and horrible, rather than ludicrously childlike and cat-throwing-up-hairball.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Literally nobody in the world seems to agree with me, but goddamn do I hate Serkis's interpretation of the character. Here he'll be even more goofy and cartoony, which will make me like him even less.

It's absurd how much better the cartoon got him than Jackson did. Dead inside and horrible, rather than ludicrously childlike and cat-throwing-up-hairball.

Gollum was okay towards the end of RoTK. Unfortunately the 'cutesy' thing is what the average filmgoer who hasn't read the books associates Gollum with now. I'm afraid PJ is going to pander to them too much in continuing that portrayal.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

feedmyleg posted:

Well, I certainly don't agree. I thought Serkis did an amazing job, as he made Gollum a character you actually cared about. While reading the book I never thought that Gollum was completely corrupt, either - I always held a little hope for him. See, even Gandalf took pity on him. Had Serkis portrayed Gollum as 'dead inside and horrible', the character would lose that depth.

The only thing I had a bit of reservations about were the proportions of his facial features. Gollum doesn't need to look amiable, darn it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

I agree. Serkis' Gollum has always felt too stupid and goofy for me to take seriously. He lacks the cunning and intelligence of book Gollum. He lacks the depth of book Gollum.

My biggest issue with Jackson is his tone with LOTOR is nothing like Tolkien's. Not even remotely close. And maybe it would be impossible to faithfully capture Tolkien's tone on screen, but if that's the case, maybe the movies just shouldn't have been made.

But I'm clearly the minority in feeling that way because most people love the LOTOR movies and will probably love these new ones too.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 8, 2012

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Vigilance posted:

LOTOR
Lords Of The Old Republic?

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Stop worrying about Gollum. If there's one thing all the reviews agree upon (even the "negative" reviews), it's that the Riddles if the Dark scene has been absolutely nailed, and is probably the best scene in the film.

Of course, if you're one of those reprobates that doesn't like the LotR interpretation of Gollum, then I doubt you'll like him here either, because it's the same goddamn Gollum obviously.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Stop worrying about Gollum. If there's one thing all the reviews agree upon (even the "negative" reviews), it's that the Riddles if the Dark scene has been absolutely nailed, and is probably the best scene in the film.

I have not read a review that actually discussed specific sequences. Most of them are filled with going on about the 48FPS and the pacing. What do they say about the Trolls? It looks pretty good from what I've seen in the trailers and production videos.

Apparently my city is doing an open air cinema screening of The Hobbit in February. I'll have probably seen it a dozen times by then, but once more won't hurt.

Octy fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 8, 2012

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Octy posted:

I have not read a review that actually discussed specific sequences. Most of them are filled with going on about the 48FPS and the pacing. What do they say about the Trolls? It looks pretty good from what I've seen in the trailers and production videos.

I can't remember any specific words about the trolls but I will say that pretty much everyone agrees that the setpieces are all really good.

Really, it seems that the only problems people are having is with the "slow" bits, which seem to be focused around the first act, i.e. all the Shire/Bag End stuff.

I am 100% convinced that the problem lies with the late decision to cut it into a trilogy; if they had stuck to the two-film version, then film 1 would have gone right up to the barrel sequence and there would have been absolutely no room for "slow" bits - the film would have been a rollercoaster from start to end, because they have to cover so much ground. Because they now finish at the eagles, PJ has made up the running time by including stuff that would normally have been left for the EE. That's my theory anyway, but I think it's a fairly safe assumption.

The good news is that because they are shooting a load more material next year, then hopefully films 2 and 3 won't suffer from this "problem".

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
If Martin Freeman can do Bilbo half as well as it looks from the promos, I'll be more than happy even if the rest doesn't live up to expectations.

I mean, seriously, I can't get over how perfect he looks for the role! It's basically the mental image I had of him since I was a kid.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Really, it seems that the only problems people are having is with the "slow" bits, which seem to be focused around the first act, i.e. all the Shire/Bag End stuff.

Based on absolutely nothing, I get the sense that the first film might have gotten the extended edition treatment when the films got turned into a trilogy. Meaning the pace in the scenes would have been cut differently, because I have my doubts that the original length of the first movie was seemingly going to be 3.5 hours long when this was original a duology. To combat that, PJ threw in all the stuff which was cut from the duology version to pad the first film back out. So a 3.5 hour and 3.5 hour duology got cut into a 2.5, 2.5 and 2.5 hour trilogy by throwing in some of the stuff cut from the initial 3.5 hour version. In the end though, it made the pace a bit wonky. Hopefully the first film will be the only one with this issue, since it was essentially released using existing footage, and not all the new stuff they planned to shoot for 2 and 3.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Yes, my point precisely.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Teek posted:

Based on absolutely nothing, I get the sense that the first film might have gotten the extended edition treatment when the films got turned into a trilogy. Meaning the pace in the scenes would have been cut differently, because I have my doubts that the original length of the first movie was seemingly going to be 3.5 hours long when this was original a duology. To combat that, PJ threw in all the stuff which was cut from the duology version to pad the first film back out. So a 3.5 hour and 3.5 hour duology got cut into a 2.5, 2.5 and 2.5 hour trilogy by throwing in some of the stuff cut from the initial 3.5 hour version. In the end though, it made the pace a bit wonky. Hopefully the first film will be the only one with this issue, since it was essentially released using existing footage, and not all the new stuff they planned to shoot for 2 and 3.

On the other hand, there are things that were supposed to be in this film that are now pushed to film 2. I highly suspect we'd have at least met the Mirkwood elves before then end, since both Legolas and the new invented Elf girl got action figures made for this film, while none of the other characters who appear in films 2 and 3 have yet

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
That's correct, I believe the original end point was the barrel scene. So with that in mind, this film would have had another hour added to the end. Which leads me to think the initial cut of what constituted this movie, was originaly 15-20 minutes shorter.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

LA Times Hero Complex has an exclusive clip of The White Council up.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/12/06/hobbit-exclusive-clip-gandalf-warns-saruman-of-a-powerful-evil/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Teek posted:

Based on absolutely nothing, I get the sense that the first film might have gotten the extended edition treatment when the films got turned into a trilogy. Meaning the pace in the scenes would have been cut differently, because I have my doubts that the original length of the first movie was seemingly going to be 3.5 hours long when this was original a duology.
There were fairly credible rumors in the weeks even before Comic-Con (when the third film idea was first officially acknowledged by PJ, but still not green-lit by the studio) that they were having a tough time getting the runtime on the first film below 3 hours.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

New shot of Bilbo in the cave with Smaug, well not with him but you all know the premise.

Picture of Bilbo somewhere.
http://i.imgur.com/ZYlBw.jpg

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 8, 2012

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Please spoiler that stuff. I'm finding it hard to avoid clicking the links though, so it hardly matters. I feel like I know way too much about this movie already.

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I've mentioned on the forums previously that I can really appreciate certain fan edits. I sincerely believe that, after the three films are released, a fan edited version of The Hobbit will come out that combines the three movies together, significant trims them, and is a more enjoyable watch overall.

I just really can't stand post-Matrix 2 bloat in franchises these days, and the King Kong fan edit that trimmed all the bloat improved that movie significantly.

I highly doubt you'll be able to turn The Hobbit into one movie, at least without cutting out a LOT of the story. I can see two movies, though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BobTheSpy posted:

I highly doubt you'll be able to turn The Hobbit into one movie, at least without cutting out a LOT of the story. I can see two movies, though.

Well, I mean, one 7 hour movie.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

FrensaGeran posted:

Lords Of The Old Republic?

Turns out you're not an Elf Ranger but Morgoth. Will you join the white council and help defeat Sauron, or return to your rightful place on the dark throne.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

Turns out you're not an Elf Ranger but Morgoth. Will you join the white council and help defeat Sauron, or return to your rightful place on the dark throne.

Morgoth is a stretch, but coming back as the new Saruman ala Gandalf the White could actually be interesting.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Peter Jackson has just confirmed at "BUTT-NUMB-A-THON" (some geeky film gathering) that the EE is coming and will have 20-25 minutes of extra footage.

I already know of two scenes from the Shire that were cut from the theatrical

A flashback showing Gandalf meeting Belladonna Took and her little baby Bilbo

A market scene where Bilbo is shopping for groceries and trying to avoid that weird old man that's been paying him a bit too much attention

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 9, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Of course... altho I bought both editions before as it was nice to have depending on my mood.

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.

Peter Jackson has just confirmed at "BUTT-NUMB-A-THON" (some geeky film gathering) that the EE is coming and will have 20-25 minutes of extra footage.

A market scene where Bilbo is shopping for groceries and trying to avoid that weird old man that's been paying him a bit too much attention

Good, I thought for too long that my final LOTR marathon would only be 20 hours long. Now I can sleep easy knowing it will be around an hour longer.

Now I have to decide whether to watch the Hobbit films first or last. Well at least I have 2 years to decide.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

When ROTK came out, I unironically held my own buttnumbathon of the LOTR movies. And yes, I called it a buttnumbathon. I thought I was being original, but apparently Harry Knowles thought of the name before me.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Knowing that there's (presumably unscored) footage of the first Hobbit movie, I guess I'll hold off on buying the soundtrack until we get a complete recording release, like the LOTR extended soundtracks.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 9, 2012

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Well, I mean, one 7 hour movie.

Rankin/Bass managed to do it in 70 minutes!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Gianthogweed posted:

When ROTK came out, I unironically held my own buttnumbathon of the LOTR movies. And yes, I called it a buttnumbathon. I thought I was being original, but apparently Harry Knowles thought of the name before me.

For Harry Knowles isn't it more of an Entire-lower-body-Numbathon?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Gianthogweed posted:

Rankin/Bass managed to do it in 70 minutes!

For what it's worth, they did cut out Beorn. Still, I'd say that adaptation managed to stick very close to the book through liberal use of musical montage and having a narrator to say so-and-so happened.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mahoning posted:

For Harry Knowles isn't it more of an Entire-lower-body-Numbathon?

:drat:

Have those Ranking/Bass movies been re-mastered for blu or are they forever forgotten?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

:drat:

Have those Ranking/Bass movies been re-mastered for blu or are they forever forgotten?

Hopefully, forgotten forever. They bad.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Hopefully, forgotten forever. They bad.

Agreed, though they *did* give us the classic song, "Where there's a whip, there's a way."

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

New little featurette:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3eeG-jywoc

I believe most of this has been seen before though.

it shriveled up fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

I'm getting very excited about this film - I managed to win tickets for one of the first public NZ screenings (in the Embassy in Wellington where the premiere was held), so will be off to see it at midnight on Tuesday. I probably won't dress as a hobbit though.

Really interested to see how the White Council plotline is handled, as from what I remember in the appendices it would need a bit of fleshing out to make a good story.

• Locked thread