Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The most frustrating part of the show for me is when I know a game pretty well and I can see while watching the episode that Arino has failed to grasp some basic elements of the game. I want to reach through the screen, shake him and scream something like, "Press the X button and you can bounce on anything!"

Get ready for a lot of that soon...

Moai Ou posted:

I asked before a while back, but it got lost in the shuffle, but are there any plans to sub the non-challenge segments for the rest of the DVD episodes?

It's on the table as an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Are the DVDs region free? I'm about to order them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mine say Region 1filthy loving lies.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 9, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The box says 1, but its been confirmed as region free a while back.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

The most frustrating part of the show for me is when I know a game pretty well and I can see while watching the episode that Arino has failed to grasp some basic elements of the game. I want to reach through the screen, shake him and scream something like, "Press the X button and you can bounce on anything!"

I was practically biting my keyboard during his playthrough of Kirby's Adventure where he doesn't know he can just swallow the cape guys to get the Jump skill during the boss battle with the cloud.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Ah, a fantastic evening with the Kacho and some tasty alcoholic beverages. I did Milon's Secret Castle, Super Mario World, and Kirby's Dream Course, back-to-back. Bless you, SAGCCX, bless you.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Silentman0 posted:

Oh poo poo, they're playing the Simpsons arcade game, aka the only good Simpsons game.
Simpsons Hit and Run (the GTA clone) and the DS version of the Simpsons game that came out around the time the movie hit theaters are pretty good. I never played the other console versions of the latter, but I've heard that they're also pretty good (not GOTY quality, but a lot better than most of the other Simpson games).

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Obeast posted:

Simpsons Hit and Run (the GTA clone) and the DS version of the Simpsons game that came out around the time the movie hit theaters are pretty good. I never played the other console versions of the latter, but I've heard that they're also pretty good (not GOTY quality, but a lot better than most of the other Simpson games).

Don't forget Virtual Springfield!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zari-gani posted:

Don't forget Virtual Springfield!

Holy crap I haven't thought of that game in years. :psyduck:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The best Simpsons game is the mini game in Virtual Bart where you pelt everyone with tomatoes. :colbert:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

ImpAtom posted:

Holy crap I haven't thought of that game in years. :psyduck:

I re-installed it on my computer last year with the original disc. Still works!

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

The Dig Dug II episode is the only one I've actually seen while in Japan, and staying next to the Fuji TV building to boot. GOOD TIMES.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Mister Chief posted:

Are the DVDs region free? I'm about to order them.

xamphear posted:

You're in luck! According to DVD Decrypter, the discs are region free AND drm free:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I tried to tweet Arino to thank him for the Parappa episode but I think I ended up calling him a rock.

It was funny how in the Dig Dug episode he kept on insisting to finish the game the "fun" way instead of the boring way by just pumping up the enemies. I loved his half-assed victory celebration while he was doing that. "Boring!"

And by the way, why didn't that Simpsons arcade game never get a home system port? Along with the X-Men arcade game I really wanted to see those on a SNES or even Megadrive. They did such an awesome job with Turtles in Time, after all. But I guess the other two were too big and complicated to be squeezed into a 16-bit cartridge?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 9, 2012

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Azazell0 posted:

I tried to tweet Arino to thank him for the Parappa episode but I think I ended up calling him a rock.

I saw that. He is pretty cool, probably has fun responding in English.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Azazell0 posted:

And by the way, why didn't that Simpsons arcade game never get a home system port? Along with the X-Men arcade game I really wanted to see those on a SNES or even Megadrive. They did such an awesome job with Turtles in Time, after all. But I guess the other two were too big and complicated to be squeezed into a 16-bit cartridge?

If you didnt know, both of those are on Xbox Live Arcade and Playstation Network for 10 bucks each.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, I don't have any of these modern consoles. I've occasionally thought about getting a 3DS, but if Scribblenauts Unlimited is on Wii U, could get that one and try those new Mega Man games as well.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Azazell0 posted:

Licensing issues combined with them being rather old by the time capable home consoles came out is my guess.

[edit]Oops, just checked and The Simpsons and X-Men actually came out in 1991 and 1992, respectively. I thought they were from the late 80s for some reason.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The Simpsons Arcade Game did come out for DOS computers. I'm sure you really want to play it. 16 colors of Simpsons Arcade goodness.

As far as I can see, the issue came down to rights. Konami made the arcade game and the computer port. However, Acclaim held the rights to make Simpsons games for the consoles. So, the only way it could have gotten over was if Acclaim worked out a deal with Konami, which may have been difficult or impossible. Especially since Acclaim certainly wouldn't want to publish a good game, now, would they?

Edit: Also, around the time the arcade game came out, there were a bunch of Simpsons games published by Acclaim. I don't think they would want to compete with their product by publishing a good Simpsons game, especially if they had to share the profits with Konami.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 9, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

On a side note, all the old Konami Turtles games were out on all the consoles download services through deals between the then-current Turtles game-rights holder Ubisoft and Konami, but that only lasted a couple years or so and now theyre gone forever.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I think the only console that really would have been able to do the Simpsons game justice would have been the Neo Geo. It was pretty graphically intensive. They could have done it on the Playstation, I think, but that wasn't out at the time.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Eh, they would just do what they did for the other arcade games they ported to the SNES, just dumb down the graphics a bit. It's just that Konami never held the rights to publish home consoles games. In fact, they made one other Simpsons game for DOS computers: Bart's House of Weirdness.

I've never played it or heard of it.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Cemetry Gator posted:

In fact, they made one other Simpsons game for DOS computers: Bart's House of Weirdness.

I've never played it or heard of it.

If you like kusoge, then oh boy, are you in for a treat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj9_SDDCtfM

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Azazell0 posted:

Did he just respond with "I am a rock"?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

He responded like so:

"Yes!アイムROCK!Wii U!"

It's funny as hell no matter what he is going for here. A couple of other people tweeted to me as well afterwards but they were all in japanese so I have no idea what they were trying to say.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

The Muffinlord posted:

I think the only console that really would have been able to do the Simpsons game justice would have been the Neo Geo. It was pretty graphically intensive. They could have done it on the Playstation, I think, but that wasn't out at the time.

Playstation would have been even less likely than SNES. It didn't have the 2D graphics memory to handle a sprite-based game like Simpsons arcade. I'm a huge fan of the side-scrolling beat-'em-up, but many of the best arcade versions never came out on home consoles due to bad timing. To get the games I consider to be the peak of the genre, the Dungeons and Dragons arcade games, I had to import them for Saturn since they couldn't be put onto Playstation, and they came out after the Saturn was finished in the US.

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

Nipponophile posted:

Playstation would have been even less likely than SNES. It didn't have the 2D graphics memory to handle a sprite-based game like Simpsons arcade. I'm a huge fan of the side-scrolling beat-'em-up, but many of the best arcade versions never came out on home consoles due to bad timing. To get the games I consider to be the peak of the genre, the Dungeons and Dragons arcade games, I had to import them for Saturn since they couldn't be put onto Playstation, and they came out after the Saturn was finished in the US.

Were Megaman 8 or the various Megaman X games on PS1 not 2D? I could see it being difficult to port as I doubt the Playstation has enough power for a decent arcade emulator, but it would probably just just as hard to port to the other systems at the time. Am I wrong?

Come to think of it there were tons of 2D games on the PS1. NBA Jam, Marvel vs. Capcom, and I'm sure plenty of others.

orochi fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 9, 2012

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Azazell0 posted:

He responded like so:

"Yes!アイムROCK!Wii U!"

It's funny as hell no matter what he is going for here. A couple of other people tweeted to me as well afterwards but they were all in japanese so I have no idea what they were trying to say.

"What are games to you?"
"Yes! I'm a ROCK! Wii U!"
[fade to black and white]
EEEEE OOOOOOO AAAAAAHHHH OH

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Gutcruncher posted:

On a side note, all the old Konami Turtles games were out on all the consoles download services through deals between the then-current Turtles game-rights holder Ubisoft and Konami, but that only lasted a couple years or so and now theyre gone forever.

They re-upped the NES game on the Wii VC after a while, I think.

orochi posted:

Were Megaman 8 or the various Megaman X games on PS1 not 2D? I could see it being difficult to port as I doubt the Playstation has enough power for a decent arcade emulator, but it would probably just just as hard to port to the other systems at the time. Am I wrong?

Come to think of it there were tons of 2D games on the PS1. NBA Jam, Marvel vs. Capcom, and I'm sure plenty of others.

Most of the big 2D arcade ports were massively gimped for consoles, particularly on Playstation. Saturn generally got better ports thanks to the optional RAM pack, and because it was better equipped for 2D games generally, but I can't think of any contemporaneous 2D arcade games that got really good home ports for either platform (except for Strider 2, but that game ran on an arcade board that was basically just a Playstation).

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

orochi posted:

Were Megaman 8 or the various Megaman X games on PS1 not 2D?

They were 2D, but I don't think they were "technologically" impressive. Aesthetically sure.

Think something more like the transparent ghost heads in Symphony of the Night.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Nipponophile posted:

Try Battle Circuit if you haven't already. It might be the pinnacle of Capcom beat-'em-ups. Not that I don't love the Dungeons & Dragons games, but you can play as an ostrich. A loving OSTRICH FROM SPACE.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't remember Simpsons Arcade having more animation frames than your average early-90s arcade beat-em-up. I'm sure the SNES/Mega Drive could have handled it just fine, especially given that it's not particularly colourful.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't remember Simpsons Arcade having more animation frames than your average early-90s arcade beat-em-up. I'm sure the SNES/Mega Drive could have handled it just fine, especially given that it's not particularly colourful.
Yeah, Simpsons Arcade really isn't technologically advanced for it's time, so I'm sure the SNES/Genesis could've handled it just fine with some minor changes/cuts. I'm betting it was an issue with Acclaim having rights to make the console games like Bart vs the Space Mutants, which came out the same year as Simpsons Arcade. At least Konami did finally re-release it on XBLA/PSN with online play (which works okay as long as you have good latency), and a pretty good set of options like being able to play either the US/JAP versions as well as a survival game mode where you only have one life and no continues to see how far you can get (which is actually pretty fun solo, but I bet it's even better with other people).

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Azazell0 posted:

Post them here? I'm sure a few people can translate them. I'm curious now.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Have you guys played any of these games recently? They don't hold up.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Have you guys played any of these games recently? They don't hold up.

I actually played through The Simpsons Arcade in an arcade about a month ago with four players. And I agree that those beat-'em-ups really aren't that great typically. Sunset Riders was next to it, though, and that's still great.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Against what? 3D Brawlers? Yes they do.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I think Aliens vs Predator and the Dungeons and Dragons games (both by Capcom) still hold up today and maybe Streets of Rage 2/3, but early beat-em-ups are generally a bit too shallow.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

quakster posted:

Against what? 3D Brawlers? Yes they do.
Let's be honest: The Simpsons Arcade was designed with wallets in mind. I've played it recently and my god is that game shallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Azazell0 posted:

It's funny as hell no matter what he is going for here.

He seems to have received a string of tweets about foreign lands, retweeting them with "Oh! Italy!," "Oh! America!" and "Oh! Germany" (if no-one mentions Canada, a joke will have been missed):

おお!ドイツ!ゲームにはウインナーが付き物で、コントローラベタベタでしょうね。。“@radiodevt: @arimorokoshi415 kachooo! とも! ドイツ人です! Wii U が好きですか? Miiverseの名前は何ですか?”
おお!アメリカ!ハンバーガーにはフライドポテトなんでしょうね。“@subbes: @arimorokoshi415 America loves the kacho! http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me75zsTODc1r2pz7go1_250.gif …”
おお!イタリア!女性にはやっぱり優しいんでしょうね。“@seekerofthevoid: @arimorokoshi415 課長!私はイタリア人のファンです!課長の挑戦いつも見てます!おかげさまで色々な古いファミコンゲームを発見しました!課長ON!!!”