Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Trees and Squids posted:

I love how metal fans have claimed 16 Horsepower and Woven Hand as one of their own. I haven't really checked out his Woven Hand material thoroughly yet, I love Secret South and Low Estate though, is there any album I should start with?

Might as well start at the beginning with the self-titled debut. Mosaic is really cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Groke posted:

Speaking of stuff in that corner of the genre, gotta mention Fall of Efrafa. Which is all about militant atheism, veganism and Watership Down.

I went back and was listening to Inle last night. That album is so crushing.

Favorite riff: Return Trip by Electric Wizard. Literally changed what I thought of as heavy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXpFV9sW2bI

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Man I am really digging Cult of Luna. Instantly in love with Somewhere Along the Highway, it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much for the recommendation.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Woven Hand/16 Horsepower talk in the Stoner Doom thread?

I love you guys.

EDIT: Also listen to Jay Munly.

ethan fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 6, 2012

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bongripper coming to the UK next April:

BONGRIPPER posted:

ATTENTION UK PEOPLE:

"we're in the process of booking an April UK tour featuring Bongripper, Conan and Humanfly. We've got shows booked for London, Leeds, Newcastle, Birmingham and Edinburgh but are looking to fill the following dates:

April
Sat 20th April
Sun 21st April
Mon 22nd April
Tue 23rd April

If you think you can help please send any interest and offers to simon@brewrecords.net

Thanks"

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Groke posted:

Speaking of stuff in that corner of the genre, gotta mention Fall of Efrafa. Which is all about militant atheism, veganism and Watership Down.

Hgh Fall of Efrafa are the greatest. I'll also throw in a rec for Light Bearer, who contain members of Fall of Efrafa. Great post-metal based on His Dark Materials and Atheism. Highly recommended.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Nativity In Black posted:

I went back and was listening to Inle last night. That album is so crushing.

Favorite riff: Return Trip by Electric Wizard. Literally changed what I thought of as heavy.

That transcends heavy, and enters the realm of super density that forms black holes. Tested this song on my new headphones, holy poo poo a decent pair of headphones really makes a difference.

Going to check out Fall of Efrafa based on the recommendations of this thread.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

rxcowboy posted:

That transcends heavy, and enters the realm of super density that forms black holes. Tested this song on my new headphones, holy poo poo a decent pair of headphones really makes a difference.

Going to check out Fall of Efrafa based on the recommendations of this thread.

Fall of Efrafa's 3 releases are all quite different. Owsla is "epic crust" (I dunno what else to call it but you'll understand if you listen), Elil is a weird middle ground between the sludge and the epic crust sound, it is basically the sound of Owsla put into 20 minute song structures, really good. Inlé is all out sludgey goodness.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I'd definitely be interested in reading more PYF sludge/stoner riffs. For me the ending of Bongzilla's Keefmaster is heavy as gently caress. The production on this album makes it sound so thick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxBSZW6P0dE

Pretty much the last "classic" Melvins song before they went all 70s boogie rock for the past decade. That whole album is one nonstop riff fest.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Why did it take me this long to check out Graves At Sea? drat.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I stumbled across Belzebong recently. They might not be as heavy as Bongripper or Electric Wizard but from what I heard so far they sound promising.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Why did it take me this long to check out Graves At Sea?

Because they've only got 6 songs to show for 6 years as a band?

I'd like them more if they got a new singer or ditched vocals entirely

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 7, 2012

nordavind
Mar 25, 2008
If the rest of the new Cult of Luna album is similar to this new track it's going to be everything I wanted Eternal Kingdom to be. Back to the heaviness of The Beyond, but much more dynamic. gently caress, it's awesome.

https://soundcloud.com/indierecordings/cult-of-luna-i-the-weapon

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I'm not sure if this fits here, but I've really been digging the new Atriarch lately. Looking for more doom metal with that same gothy edge. Can anyone help me out?

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

Morbid Florist posted:

Because they've only got 6 songs to show for 6 years as a band?

I'd like them more if they got a new singer or ditched vocals entirely

Graves At Sea is good as hell. The vocals fit perfectly I can't imagine them any other way. Their best stuff is the split they did with Asunder.

They're also recording a new album right now which I'm super stoked for.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
All the poo poo I read said they broke up years ago.

Metal archives says they're active but that's one voice to many others

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I stumbled across Belzebong recently. They might not be as heavy as Bongripper or Electric Wizard but from what I heard so far they sound promising.

These guys crush, I like it. Definitely anticipating future releases.

Has anyone braved the Elysian Blaze album yet? I've heard many a good thing, but I'm not sure I am strong enough for a 2 hours (+?) "baroque funeral doom" epic...

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

And just like that they were announced for next year's Heavy Days in Doom Town. They already have Conan on the poster.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I just noticed you can get their first release on Bandcamp for 5 bucks.

Can't say no to that!

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Bongripper coming to the UK next April:
Sent this to a mate who puts on some doom gigs in Bristol, he's currently trying to negotiate them playing over here! Would be an amazing post-Roadburn gig. Last April it was Orange Goblin, Church of Misery, Slabdragger and Dopefight. Man that was a good night.

On the lines of super heavy stoner/sludge riffs, someone pointed me to this Christpunchers album after talking about Bongripper - it has some really great moments and the opener is a goodun'.

Loving that Melvins track too.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

That Christ Punchers band is alright, but what a lovely name. It's like something a middle school kid would come up with.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Man from 6:30 minutes on is just molasses. So heavy!

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

That Christ Punchers band is alright, but what a lovely name. It's like something a middle school kid would come up with.
It's a classic Simpsons reference, which makes it OK with me (otherwise, it definitely wouldn't be).

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

I'm wasting a Saturday drinking beer and watching Star Trek, so I'll tell a little story when I was in maybe my second or third year of college I was heavily involved in a :filez: forum called rawrshare/etcetera. I was mostly into simple punk and dumb hardcore at the time, but my tastes were beginning to broaden. Someone made a big post of doom/sludge (which were entirely foreign to me at the time) and I downloaded Electric Wizard because lololol that's a funny name. I think I was in between classes waiting for work, when I popped it on in my iPod. It literally blew my mind. It wasn't fast, but it felt like I was getting crushed. I think I sat with a dumbfounded look on my face until a friend walked up and I handed him my headphones and said, "The heaviest thing I've ever heard." I waited for it to hit and his eyes lit up. I don't think either of us have been the same since.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY

watt par posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxBSZW6P0dE

Pretty much the last "classic" Melvins song before they went all 70s boogie rock for the past decade. That whole album is one nonstop riff fest.

I got to see Melvins in 2010. They played most of the Lysol album. Getting to hear that live is one of the greatest moments of my life.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Going to see Boris in Dublin tomorrow night and their recent UK setlists have been mostly old sludgy stuff including Flood 3 and 4 :woop:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

Just listened to Woods 5: Grey Skies and Electric light by Woods of Ypres. Holy loving poo poo, I was blown away yesterday. the lead singer died in a car wreck shortly after the album was released.

Here's the intro track from the album, please give it a listen. This is just a hell of an album.

I seriously want to say gently caress you forever, because I went from listening to this, to going through the whole album and god drat these guys are awesome but gently caress finding new bands where one of the members (semi) recently died. :smith:

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Just heard "You think I ain't worth a dollar" by QOTSA in a T-mobile commercial on TV. That was....unexpected.

I think we should all share our stories of when we first heard and got into this type of music.

I've always loved rock and metal. My first CD was Guns and Roses Appetite for Destruction, followed by Sepultura. When the first Ozzfest tour came around I missed it, which sucked because I really wanted to see Ozzy and Slayer. So when the live CD came out, I rushed out to get it. My 15 year old self didn't have the common sense to look at all the artists on the CD before I bought it, or else I would have known it was going to mostly suck. Fifth track in was a song called "Locust Star" by Neurosis.

I....I was unprepared.

It blew my speakers and my mind. I'd never heard anything so loud and heavy at once before. I couldn't handle it.

Years later I heard the song again on Youtube and loving loved it. From there I worked my way through their catalog, and started branching out. Saw Queens of the Stone Age at a Christmas concert, worked my way backwards to Kyuss.

On a completely stereotypical note, I discovered Electric Wizard when a friend of mine handed me a bong and a pair of headphones. Even though I don't smoke anymore, I firmly believe this is the only proper way to be introduced to Electric Wizard.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Awesome Welles posted:

I seriously want to say gently caress you forever, because I went from listening to this, to going through the whole album and god drat these guys are awesome but gently caress finding new bands where one of the members (semi) recently died. :smith:

How the gently caress do you think I feel? This always happens to me, I fall in love with bands I will realistically have no chance of seeing.

If you haven't yet go listen to Woods 4. It's as good if not better.

Same thing happened to me with Bolthrower. Listened to Dead Armor, fell in love. Found out the don't tour anymore. Then my buddy told me that they were playing MDF next year, and tickets had already sold out. :smith:

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I'll contribute to the "how did I discover doom" stories:

My parents owned a ton of records, and one of the first I ever listened to was the Black Sabbath self-titled, back when I was 5 or 6. I used to stay up late with headphones, rocking out to some dark as poo poo music. I didn't really expand further until the late 90's, when I first got ahold of Kyuss and heard Demon Cleaner for the first time. That blew my mind, but I sort of kept it there for a few more years. Then sometime in the 2000's I found Moss and thought I'd hit peak heaviness. Explored the slow stuff for a while, stumbled across Ahab, knew a bunch of people into Mastodon so listened to that as well. Then 3 or 4 years ago I came across the song "Grasping Air" by Yob while looking for a Moss track. That changed everything instantly. I went looking for more, discovered most of the poo poo posted here, finally found this thread, and over the past few years have been dooming it up nonstop.

Oh, and at some point shorty before I found Yob a friend let me borrow some Thou. It didn't grip me at first, but over the past year I explored their many releases and gained a huge appreciation for what they do. I'm not 100% sure how to classify them (sludge?), but they've been a big influence in my own music.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Someone said "listen to Holy Mountain".
And it was good.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
I took a college class on the evolution of metal (counted as my fine art elective), and I was hoping to find some metal that really appealed to me. I was sort of disappointed until the day we did doom metal. When I got back from class I looked up and listened to everything by every band the teacher mentioned that day.

The teacher apparently was in high school band with one of the members of Sleep and said that the first time he ever smelled pot was sitting near him in concert practice.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The first doom metal album I heard was "Turn Loose the Swans" by My Dying Bride. This was when the Tower Records in my area installed these "listening stations" and you could listen to specific albums that the staff recommended. I was drawn to this one just by the title and the store's description and instantly loved it.

Also my high school girlfriend was crazy about Neurosis and I got into them through her, listened to Souls at Zero and Enemy of the Sun a lot and later got into ISIS when they came out and were touted as having a similar sound.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Re "getting into this kind of music".

In my late teens through my mid 20's I was playing in a band that started out playing punk, moved to grindcore and then ended up as some kind of death metal/black metal/grind mixture. Through that process of growth and discovery I had become familiar bands that slowed things down for a song or two or in parts of songs plus a few bands that did the slow thing full time. Because of my perceived familiarity with the metal genre I feel I developed a blind spot for doom/stoner/sludge. I had been to Weedeater, Buzzoven and Electric Wizard shows not knowing that there was an actual genre encompassing them. This was all before I had regular access to the internet. In my mind death metal was where the heavy poo poo was and even there at least 90% of what's out there is no fun for me.

What really got me interested was when I heard Sleep's Dragonaut used in the movie Gummo. Here's the part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBevc5qQFYg

So that got me to Sleep but I still didn't know this was a genre until I clicked on this thread out of curiosity. Then the scales fell from my eyes. Now I have more bands to listen to/work through than I have time for. Initially Yob, Bongripper, Ufomammut and Ahab really set it off for me. Colour Haze and Asteroid have been doing it for me lately on the lighter side.

My only regret is that I didn't know about all this when I was younger and had time to play music. I totally would have been trying to create my own crappy doom flavors.

It seems like this is the one genre that has an endless supply of fantastic stuff. I'm continually surprised. This thread has changed my life. :2bong:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It Came From Isis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HTUAYVgPbI

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Because I am bored, I started your link and then turned the same song on iTunes thirty seconds into the Youtube one. They're playing at the same time right now. It's a kind of cool effect.

My "stoner/doom/sludge" introduction: "hurr hurr Neurisis", well poo poo I like Isis (basically Panopticon and Oceanic only at this time), I guess I should see what they're inspired by. Listening to Given to the Rising's opening riff for the first time was basically better than my first time smoking weed, and that's saying a lot. I guess a shitload of QotSA in middle/high school counts, but that's more rock, yeah?

vanov fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 11, 2012

niff
Jul 4, 2010
kyuss, welcome to sky valley. i still think it's the sgt peppers of stoner.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
It was the usual Isis / Neurosis that got me into this type of music in general, but it was a local metal bands cover of The Cry of Mankind by My Dying Bride that got me interested in looking into MDB's back catalogue, and then Katatonia, Anathema, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzUYqQY_rKY

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
A couple of years back, I was on Youtube, watching videos of the band Bigelf (themselves quite a good progressive/psychedelic rock band if you're into that sorta thing) and for whatever reason, one of the related videos was a song called Made of Rats by Orange Goblin.

It happens to feature guest vocals by John Garcia and the whole album was produced by Scott Reeder, so I was already in the Kyuss ballpark before I even knew it.

Anyway, I loved the stuff I was hearing on Coup de Grace, so I started checking out their other songs, which inevitably led me to Kyuss.

From there I spread out to Queens of the Stone Age, Brant Bjork, Hermano, Slo Burn, etc. Also bands like Dozer and Fatso Jetson. If it got labelled desert rock, I was there.

Then I started getting into heavier stuff. Melvins was first, and then more doomy stuff like Saint Vitus, Warning, and Electric Wizard. Thus began the descent into bands like Weedeater and Buzzoven.

I still have the fondest part of my heart dedicated to lighter desert rock like Kyuss, Yawning Man, Brant Bjork, and etc. but I love it all. So here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Boris did Flood 3 and 4 as their last two songs :stare:

It went on for about half an hour and I stood there with my jaw open for easily more than five minutes straight, I think I forgot to breathe.

They also opened with 8 minutes of pure doom :woop:

Great gig, so happy they just played such a variety.