Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

losimagic
Aug 17, 2008

Nitr0 posted:

sabnzbd.org is down?

Seems to be. This isn't good :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

K.O. posted:

This is sad :(.

At least they did it towards the begging of the slow period of TV when most shows don't have new epps.

I have also been wondering about the whole issue of the payment processors being sued or threatened for doing business with these sites. If the sites comply with the DMCA notices, then they are not doing anything wrong, how can the other companies threaten someone like paypal to not do business with them?

Because to prove that the site is being good and complying, there would have to be come court action and investigation and all sorts of faffing around, most companies don't want this and its easier to just cut off ties than invite that sort of thing.

K.O.
Mar 19, 2007

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Because to prove that the site is being good and complying, there would have to be come court action and investigation and all sorts of faffing around, most companies don't want this and its easier to just cut off ties than invite that sort of thing.

The whole thing, just feels like, extortion. This, coupled with the automated DMCA notices and companies filling DMCA's for things that they don't actually own just seems like a large scale criminal bullying. We the little people must revolt.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Nitr0 posted:

sabnzbd.org is down?
Not down, the webserver is just very very sad right now. We're experiencing some of the most traffic we've ever had to deal with, most of which was from people feverishly f5'ing the forums. I've since taken the forums down until this traffic blows over.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
yea I figured you would post with an update like that. The site actually did come up eventually, it was just about 30 seconds.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

K.O. posted:

The whole thing, just feels like, extortion. This, coupled with the automated DMCA notices and companies filling DMCA's for things that they don't actually own just seems like a large scale criminal bullying. We the little people must revolt.

Well yeah, thats kind of exactly what it is.

Either this is, like plenty of people are screaming, the sky falling and the end of Usenet as a whole, or if its just a heavy period of crackdown that will pass, it remains to be seen. Personally I've never seen things this bad in the 6-7 years I've been using Usenet.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

K.O. posted:

How dare they try to stop you pirating whatever the hell you like.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Personally I've never seen things this bad in the 6-7 years I've been using Usenet.
There's been plenty of mass panic before. Like back when the DMCA was passed in the first place and when Newzbin announced they were being sued by the MPA, and when Usenet.com was sued into oblivion, and when ISPs were basically forced to shut down their free servers, and the few times NZBs.org has fallen off the planet for days at a time, and back when Giganews had a few months where they simply couldn't keep up with the volume of stuff being posted and had to reduce their retention, and when all the major hosts were scrambling because there was a global hard drive shortage.

Thing is, this time we have solutions. They just aren't solutions that are going to spring up in a matter of hours.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
The worst thing about this is Matrix was the only indexer with anything approaching a decent UI for browsing. Everything else looks like it was designed my blind donkeys with prosthetic limbs.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

EvilMuppet posted:

The worst thing about this is Matrix was the only indexer with anything approaching a decent UI for browsing. Everything else looks like it was designed my blind donkeys with prosthetic limbs.

Yeah, nzbs.org is useful but it has a fairly "raw" feel to it compared to nzbmatrix.

On top of that, i've never been able to get it to work right with SABznbd since they did their update a few months back (no SAB button). And when i click the download nzb link and tell it to run it through SAB it sends two instances of the same file to it forcing me to cancel the duplicates every time.

Also, nzbs.org goes down a lot (which people seem to be experiencing now).

pyrotoxin
Sep 19, 2009
Looks like nzbsrus might be back online. The only VIP payment options available right now is bitcoins, so that kind of limits your options. Then again i'm not sure throwing ten bucks at a site looks like its on its way out is the best idea.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Kin posted:

it sends two instances of the same file to it forcing me to cancel the duplicates every time.

Do you possibly have your default firefox/ie download folder set to a watch dir in sabnzbd?

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

From the frozen north a... squirrel emerges?!?
:haw:
I had that double download problem too, but I just fixed it by completely uninstalling sab + the config file, and setting it back up again (only took a few minutes). I also uninstalled nzbdstatus.

hammeritme
Oct 28, 2002

I like the cut of your jib
I figured that matrix was on its way out but I'm still pissed that I just paid for VIP like a week ago

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
What is the irc channel we use for Usenet stuff?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Had to change about 25 rss feeds over to nzbs.org from the 'matrix, so that was annoying. Glad I had that and a .su account to fall back on.

I wonder if all the DMCA stuff will drive Usenet posts to some form of encryption/GUID-based configuration where you'll need to be on a private website to get the nfos and password. I assume this goes on now, but I haven't downloaded headers since I was using Grabit on Verizon's servers (with awesome 45 day retention.)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Flaggy posted:

What is the irc channel we use for Usenet stuff?

#sabnzbd on synIRC for the client is where I idle, there might be another one on there.

Also, I got an excellent suggestion for a goon indexing project: call it SADCHUB.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
I'm still fairly new to Usenet so I only had a matrix account so this is fairly balls for me, currently trying to find a replacement and all of the newsnab ones from the google search so far are firing up "Registrations are currently invite only."

I would so donate heavily to a goon run indexer :smith:

K.O.
Mar 19, 2007

coffeetable posted:

How dare they try to stop you pirating whatever the hell you like.

I would have no problem if they made content available online, I don't care about ads, I watch most of my TV shows on hulu anyway. But there are some that I just have to watch the day of. But as with music, this is just a matter of them holding on to the old way.

Their current model is outdated, and has fallen behind their base. No-one wants to sit and wait for a TV show to start, and only having 3 hours of prime time a night creates competition between shows, affecting ad revenue and "ratings". In a digital model, people will be able to watch the shows when they want. Better statistics of viewership and targeted ads would only increase revenue, and not having to fight for "ratings" on a given night/time slot would allow more shows to stay "on-air" and not be canceled because a few select families chose to watch something else that hour.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bang3r posted:

Probably wouldn't be too hard for someone to put together. I've got code that validates signups against a random string put in the profile field on here, so wouldn't be difficult to make it 'SA Only'.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

The pHo posted:

Probably wouldn't be too hard for someone to put together. I've got code that validates signups against a random string put in the profile field on here, so wouldn't be difficult to make it 'SA Only'.

I'd also be willing to throw some cash at this.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

The pHo posted:

I am interested but I don't know if we would ever get mod approval.

Willing to throw in some cash well

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 10, 2012

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

clockwork automaton posted:

I'd also be willing to throw some cash at this.

I would throw cash at this as well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Setting up the site is super easy, what with newznab being a thing. My guess is that with it limited to SA-only the infrastructure costs wouldn't be too bad either.

The only reason I continued to use NZBMatrix as long as I did was the comments as to the quality of the download. I'd hope an SA-only site would be better about the comments (or lack thereof) than all the sites running newznab.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Bang3r posted:

Add me to the pile as well.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
+1 over here.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Another vote for "will throw money at the first person willing to do something about it" re: an SA-only tracker.

TLM
Mar 3, 2009
Throwing my hat into this. Would love to support it.

jungn
Mar 19, 2012
+1 to supporting this

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

From the frozen north a... squirrel emerges?!?
:haw:
Yep, someone make this please.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I think it's safe to say a ton of us would. :)

[edit] Donate/Support... that is.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I had the knowledge to do so I would start setting it up tonight, unless someone can point me in the right direction.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm doing some research on this. EDIT: Setting up an indexer for goons.

I actually bought a domain name this morning with the idea in mind.

I have to check out VPS hosting and I'll need someone to help me with some sort of script to validate against the profiles here.

It's been really slow at work so I have time to do some research.

What would the storage size be for headers? Estimate.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 10, 2012

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

The pHo posted:

And Lowtax sees a huge stream of new SA signups for some mysterious reason.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

And Lowtax sees a huge stream of new SA signups for some mysterious reason.

Make one of the requirements has to have been a goon for x amount of time in good standing ala goonfleet.

Atreus
Sep 20, 2005
Should probably have something else that it checks against too. Maybe a certain age to the account? Either way, I'm sure Lowtax wouldn't mind more money.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I don't think goon only would be a secure enough selection criteria unless you went back a few years. to when the idea was first suggested. :ohdear:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I set up newznab on my vps today, I still need to figure out whether or not I actually have the disk space/bandwidth to run it on my current setup though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

astr0man posted:

I set up newznab on my vps today, I still need to figure out whether or not I actually have the disk space/bandwidth to run it on my current setup though.

Are you planning on doing a full index or just a month or so so people's sick beard/couch potato can grab the latest stuff? That would be a good way to save space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Whiteycar posted:

I am interested but I don't know if we would ever get mod approval.

Willing to throw in some cash well

We can discuss the idea here, yeah. Looks like there's some ideas floating around and better web programmers than I checking in here.

https://www.sadchub.org Thinking about buying that tonight.

Need a logo that looks like this :flaccid:

e: ^^ The figure I heard above from either this thread or on IRC was ~60GB or so.