Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

What would the storage size be for headers? Estimate.

Pulled this quote from another forum earlier, not sure on the accuracy:

quote:

Sure, it's easy, but I've been reading trying to work out what the requirements are, I saw some guy saying he was indexing just 10 groups with four days retention and his DB was already 6.5GiB. That's a bit of data considering he's not indexing/retaining much. I'm on nzbs.org too, and since they're probably not opening signups any time soon they seem likely to stick around, but I'd like some more concrete stats on newznab if anybody decides to run an instance, just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

text editor posted:

Pulled this quote from another forum earlier, not sure on the accuracy:

Sounds like he was pulling the full posts and not just headers.

AirPhforce
Apr 4, 2009
+1, Would support.

SilentGeek
Jul 24, 2011

I'd totally support it.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I would also be keen on a SA indexer. While I may not have cash, I'd be more than happy to provide support via comments on Linux ISOs.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah, I was going to say, if you limit it to headers only, and restrict it to 3 months and stick to TV, you can probably get away with 40 gigs, the real issue to me is bandwidth, though I'm seeing decent deals on VPS hosts with unmetered bandwidth which are hosted overseas.

Newznab looks a little hodgepodge in terms of the install and backend (reminds me of cacti executing php scripts through cron/cli) but it seems simple enough to do.

If anyone wants to kick around Ideas tomorrow, I can meet up on IRC around noon tomorrow EST.

Phalex
May 14, 2002

I am a fan of this idea.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I'd say Tv is priority now with the number of sickbeard users.

However it could always be interim solution then flesh out the rest of the categories based on user demand/donations.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Seems like small newznab sites are the way to go forward.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Whiteycar posted:

However it could always be interim solution then flesh out the rest of the categories based on user demand/donations.

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking, though when it comes to other forms of Linux ISOs, there's more of a risk of DMCA.

The main purpose of the site, as I see it, would be to keep feeding sick beard and give us a reliable backup to whatever indexer you're using.

Start out with 3 months, see what kind of starge happens if we expand to 6 after a month or two and go from there.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

LmaoTheKid posted:

If anyone wants to kick around Ideas tomorrow, I can meet up on IRC around noon tomorrow EST.

Let's call it tomorrow at noon on #sadchub.org on SynIRC then and hold back on flooding this thread with "+1 would donate" and similar. :angel:

e: welp I guess some other goon sniped sadchub.org out from under me. Oh well, we can still plan the zybourne indexer there.

movax fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 10, 2012

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I would be happy to help out with this venture somehow. I pretty much do linux sysadmin as a job anyways. Someone give me a PM or reply in here if some hands are needed somewhere.

GOOOON PROJECTT

edit: if we haven't officially decided on a name yet I am throwing out: gooNZB and goonsbin

cr0y fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 10, 2012

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I would be willing to support this monetarily. I always wondered if NZBmatrix was signing up enough new people to cover their cost. I would think it would be better to have something like newzbin did where they have a subscription model.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Whiteycar posted:

Remember that sickbeard already has a built in index which works fine. In fact I would say all of my downloads came from it. This isn't some urgent thing for tv. That said if an indexer is coming up then long retention is key, anyone can do a short retention indexer.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
Jumping into the IRC channel to support whatever comes about.

pyrotoxin
Sep 19, 2009
Looks like nzbs.org is working. The main page must be forwarding to a blank page but if you go to nzbs.org/forum you should be able to get through. Good luck friends!

S.C. sweeps
Apr 23, 2006
I support this idea.

Edit: Didn't see the post above.

S.C. sweeps fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 10, 2012

iframe
Jan 1, 2006
POTATOES!
Has anybody seen SABnzbd get stuck? I upgraded to 0.7.6 and now I've got some stuff in my queue that's stuck at 0%.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Nitr0 posted:

Remember that sickbeard already has a built in index which works fine. In fact I would say all of my downloads came from it. This isn't some urgent thing for tv. That said if an indexer is coming up then long retention is key, anyone can do a short retention indexer.

Stuff works as a good proof of concept/stress test. I agree that sickbeard is pretty awesome but its nice to have alternatives.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 10, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I know it's difficult, but don't post about what you're doing on the big bad Usenet :angel:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

:siren: IF YOU WANT TO +1 THIS IDEA COME MILL ABOUT IN #sadchub.org ON SYNIRC :siren:

cr0y fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 10, 2012

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Nzb.su is a goon created site, right?

A private goon indexer would be rad though.

Goddimus
Nov 27, 2000

While I generally think that goons ruin everything they touch, I also have seen a lot of great stuff that goons do that is for goons by goons. I would totally support something that would be for goons only.

no skateboarding EVER!
Apr 21, 2003
Jagermeister & schadenfreude.
Please stop invading our irc chan. Kthx

HeyCrapOnThis
Jul 3, 2002

SweetRelease posted:

Please stop invading our irc chan. Kthx

Seriously we've been using this chan since the actual sadchub went down WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE

Slag
Aug 6, 2002

OG SADCHUB REPRESENT!

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

I'd support a goon only index.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

HeyCrapOnThis posted:

Seriously we've been using this chan since the actual sadchub went down WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE

loving typos

tehgrif
Apr 3, 2009

IRSmurf posted:

I'd support a goon only index.

Seconding this.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

:siren: OK, go here to discuss the tragedy that has befallen us. :siren:

Regular posts in this thread about Usenet may continue. See before page 98 for an example or be probated!

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

Nitr0 posted:

This.

SB seems to index fine, I'd rather have something that's nice to browse as well, like Matrix was.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Hmm SB Index hasn't worked for me for a while, logs show it just timing out all the time.

kr9
Dec 10, 2012
I'll help this cause out, lmk the right people know where to find me.

kr9 fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 10, 2012

DaiTengu
Feb 26, 2007

Not until I've had my second pot of coffee.
Nap Ghost

Flaggy posted:

Make one of the requirements has to have been a goon for x amount of time in good standing ala goonfleet.

As an auth guy for goonfleet, this is quite a lot of trouble, as each account is manually verified, and post history is examined. There is an automated system that flags an applicant if they're a newer member or have under X amount of posts, which could be implemented, I guess.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

DaiTengu posted:

As an auth guy for goonfleet, this is quite a lot of trouble, as each account is manually verified, and post history is examined. There is an automated system that flags an applicant if they're a newer member or have under X amount of posts, which could be implemented, I guess.

I was going to ask how feasible it was to have accounts verified for age but you just answered, I guess there is no automated way to check reg date?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ClassH posted:

I was going to ask how feasible it was to have accounts verified for age but you just answered, I guess there is no automated way to check reg date?

It is possible to check against regdate, our auth system already does it (but right now it only checks against and red flags accounts with like <1 day old and/or <1 post) but it doesn't recalculate as time goes on. Someone would have to code it for whatever mechanism this uses. The good news is that the profile pages are uniform in terms of formatting so I imagine if it came down to it that it could be done.

I know our admin uses Usenet, so he might be willing to share that code/data for SA mods/admins should the need arise.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I will murder an unicorn if that is what it takes to have a goon indexer running.

gently caress THE UNICORNS!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

For those with Supernews, any issues with them? My year plan with Astraweb is up in less than a month, and Supernews still has that special that would be cheaper than if I re-up with Astraweb on the same deal.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

halokiller posted:

For those with Supernews, any issues with them? My year plan with Astraweb is up in less than a month, and Supernews still has that special that would be cheaper than if I re-up with Astraweb on the same deal.

All the major providers are in the same boat. If they get a DMCA request, they comply - they have to. Supernews is certainly among them.

Differences between the providers right now has more to do with random chance and less to do with any special "immunity" they might have - they don't. None of them do.

This was all a matter of time - it got too big, and too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I've been fine with Supernews and using Blocknews to supplement as a backup server in SAB. What I thought were takedowns was actually some corrupt poo poo from Astraweb.