Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I'm looking forward to the anime.

Not so much to the peanut gallery that suddenly decide they're experts and start spewing on various forums how it's filled with "plot holes" and how nothing makes sense, or that the writer is making up things as he goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Daler Mehndi posted:

Not so much to the peanut gallery that suddenly decide they're experts and start spewing on various forums how it's filled with "plot holes" and how nothing makes sense, or that the writer is making up things as he goes.
Hope the author is working closely with this so we see the same kind of foreshadowing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jonjonaug posted:

Really hoping the entire budget isn't blown on the first few episodes.

Even if they do, that means we get a few spectacular episodes out of it. It is win-win!

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010
Here's a better quality version of the trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKzmOh4SuBc

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Yeah that's gonna rule.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
In hi-def, around the 46 second mark, you can see a titan just slap a soldier-dude into dust, goddamn. :o:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It makes the 3D gear look like spider man gear, holy poo poo yes!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Whats best is how its sounds. Gonna love it whenever people start using them :allears:.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

In hi-def, around the 46 second mark, you can see a titan just slap a soldier-dude into dust, goddamn. :o:

How the gently caress did I miss that. :aaaaa: Here, slowed down a bit:

And with a pause as he gets just completely turned into paste:

Pretty sure that's shrapnel from his 3D Gear flying off in all directions too. Plus, that Titan face. :getin:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I can't remember the last time I was this hype for an anime. Just :drat:

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Being able to see 3d gear in motion is gonna be the best part of this. I can't get too excited though since every time I watch those previews I get reminded that the official name is Attack on Titan.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
In a future anime thread, there's bound to be people who never read the manga before,I really want to read their reaction when Eren got "killed" by a random, scrub Titan he tried to fight, after pages of him swearing to be the best Titan killer ever. That scene sets the tone of the manga for me.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

That anime trailer. My god. This is going to be something special.

davidHalestorm posted:

In a future anime thread, there's bound to be people who never read the manga before,I really want to read their reaction when Eren got "killed" by a random, scrub Titan he tried to fight, after pages of him swearing to be the best Titan killer ever. That scene sets the tone of the manga for me.
The great thing about that, for me at least, was that I bought it. I got the nihilistic unconventional tone right from the start, so when Eren got graphically eaten I thought his whole character was a fake out, and his friends were the real main characters.

So the manga successfully made me think the main character was dead in the middle of the story. That's pretty much never happened to me before.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I hope everyone here that watches the anime behaves better than what has happened repeatedly in the JoJo anime thread. That way we can see all the best reactions :getin:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Pierson posted:

The 3d gear looks and sounds incredible. Spot Rivaille spinning like a dervish through that forest, and the pneumatic pumping noises Eren makes when he's just boosting it through the city. It would be amazing if they could give the main characters their own style of maneuvering.
Eren, no!! You're using too much gas!

:v:

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Looks excellent but maybe loses some of the flavor of the manga.. The manga is very gritty which made it scarier to me. The 3D gear animation is ridiculous though, and will probably make up for that.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010
That looks excellent. I also just realized that Shingeki no Kyojin is essentially a successful crossover of the zombie and mecha genre. Who would have thought this would work so well.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Jackard posted:

Eren, no!! You're using too much gas!

:v:

I loving hate you. Everytime someone posts a past link in this thread I end up dumping 2 hours of my day rereading.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I loving hate you. Everytime someone posts a past link in this thread I end up dumping 2 hours of my day rereading.
Here's another. Not sure if this was already pointed out, look who suddenly realizes what's going on:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/10/82

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Ryner is the most suspicious character in the manga right now.

Edit-- Even in the latest chapter, Bertholdt out and out says he "used to be a warrior," which is exactly what Annie called herself. It's really conflicting because while that and his interactions with Annie (both Titan and non Titan) add to that suspicion, we get the flashback of him and Bertholdt cowering from titans eating dudes and him locking up in fear whenever a singular small titan shows up(which obviously wouldn't be a big threat if he could transform into an armored titan).

I really want the theory to work and I've got some ideas (maybe the traumatic flashback was Titan training and he somehow lost his titan transformation abilities when he infiltrated, who knows), but everything about him is one oddity after another.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 9, 2012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Chapter 40.

They should just change the title of this manga to Holy poo poo, because you say it every time you read a chapter.

I'm not really sure what to think about the "Reiner and his chum are titans" theory anymore, what with them being so surprised by Ymir's transformation. Then again it could be that they're from a different faction, maybe even whichever one from which Ymir was expelled given that she mentioned being an outcast.

It's strange, though, because judging from their clothes in the flashback it looks like titan-Ymir eating their friend happened before they joined the military or whatever Titan-ops organization they may or may not be a part of along with Annie.

It's also odd how titan-Ymir has such weird proportions in the flashback, a lot like some of the feral titans we've seen. On the other hand, Eren and Annie have been pretty much human in their proportions, as have the other abnormal titans who might be human. Then again, in her current form Ymir might be normally proportioned as well--I can't tell whether it's perspective or not that her legs seem to be that short. Someone tell me what's going on :psyduck:

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 9, 2012

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

AnonSpore posted:

Chapter 40.

They should just change the title of this manga to Holy poo poo, because you say it every time you read a chapter.

Goddamnit. Gerger and Nanaba. Those poor guys. :smith: That was so tragic, especially with that bottle being empty.

On the other hand, looking at the bottom corner of the cover, it's nice to see Choujin Gakuen still running. :woop:

EDIT: Wow! Ymir! You guys were totally right about her being another titan-transformer person!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 9, 2012

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Gerger and Nanaba. Those poor guys.
I think the latter was a woman? It's hard to tell really.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

AnonSpore posted:

It's strange, though, because judging from their clothes in the flashback it looks like titan-Ymir eating their friend happened before they joined the military or whatever Titan-ops organization they may or may not be a part of along with Annie.

That's because the flashback is from years before any of them joined the military. Bertholdt and Reiner are from a village that was attacked by titans after the giant titan broke the wall, like Eren and Mikasa. The flashback is them fleeing with friends.

e: Wait, there's a live action film planned for 2013?

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 9, 2012

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So given Ymir's little monologue, it seems to me that Ymir was an actual titan who found a way/was always able to take human form. Which is different from titanform humans like Annie and Eren. Assuming the secondary flashback to Bertholdt and Reiner's childhood is accurate, Ymir was a titan who was part of the first invasion when the outermost wall fell. Considering human Ymir appears to be the same age as the rest of the rookie scouts, it seems rather unlikely that he was a child their age who transformed into a rampaging Titan.

Alternatively Ymir is the black sheep of a family like Annie's, and the titan from Bertholdt and Reiner's flashback is Ymir's mother/older sister/other family member.

Could this be why Sasquatch Titan ambushed them, or was it just happenstance and he didn't know?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ymir said that she died before. She lived for some time as a thief, presumably alone, and then joined the scouts fairly recently. We have no idea how old she is.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Gyges posted:

So given Ymir's little monologue, it seems to me that Ymir was an actual titan who found a way/was always able to take human form. Which is different from titanform humans like Annie and Eren. Assuming the secondary flashback to Bertholdt and Reiner's childhood is accurate, Ymir was a titan who was part of the first invasion when the outermost wall fell. Considering human Ymir appears to be the same age as the rest of the rookie scouts, it seems rather unlikely that he was a child their age who transformed into a rampaging Titan.

Alternatively Ymir is the black sheep of a family like Annie's, and the titan from Bertholdt and Reiner's flashback is Ymir's mother/older sister/other family member.

Could this be why Sasquatch Titan ambushed them, or was it just happenstance and he didn't know?

Well, when Eren first transformed into a Titan, he operated on pure instinct with no conscious thought but he didn't attacked any humans, just the other Titans. But maybe that's due to his deep-seated hatred against the Titans from watching his mother get killed in front of him. So, it's possible that Ymir is a human turned titan that attacked other humans just because of that mysterious Titan impulse to attack any humans they meet . Oh, by the way, that empty bottle thing is just cruel . Bit of an extremely dark humor, there.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 9, 2012

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

davidHalestorm posted:

Oh, by the way, that empty bottle thing is just cruel . Bit of an extremely dark humor, there.

Not to be pedantic, but the term is actually "dramatic irony". :eng101:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

davidHalestorm posted:

So, it's possible that Ymir is a human turned titan that attacked other humans just because of that mysterious Titan impulse to attack any humans they meet .

Well, during his first intentional transformation, Eren was attacking humans as well (including Mikasa) until Armin was able to persuade him to "wake up" and assert control. Ymir may not have had anyone to help her through that stage just yet.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Ymir looking like a dumb titan in the past and a Boss titan in the present lends some credence to the theory that titans are "born" in a bloodlust, and only when they survive long enough to mature do they have urges outside of feeding.

Maybe that's how the factions came to pass? Everyone getting together to eat some dudes, and then they start thinking for themselves. And everyone knows when some people start thinking, people start disagreeing.

marthe
Dec 15, 2007

Fattest of the fat.

Vincent Valentine posted:

Ymir looking like a dumb titan in the past and a Boss titan in the present lends some credence to the theory that titans are "born" in a bloodlust, and only when they survive long enough to mature do they have urges outside of feeding.

Maybe that's how the factions came to pass? Everyone getting together to eat some dudes, and then they start thinking for themselves. And everyone knows when some people start thinking, people start disagreeing.

This theory would actually explain the talking titan in the earlier chapters. Maybe it was a titan in the process of this change?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

This comic. Every time.

God drat. :stare:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

marthe posted:

This theory would actually explain the talking titan in the earlier chapters. Maybe it was a titan in the process of this change?
Especially considering said titan was talking about Ymir, yeah, it makes so much sense now. Seriously,

Miffler posted:

This comic. Every time.

God drat. :stare:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

marthe posted:

Well, he did fight his instinct to eat the human, to the point of self-harm

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 273 days!
In that case, 'Ymir' might be a name that Titans somehow end up knowing during the time they're in the fugue state just eating people and whatever. Since it's sounding like Ymir named herself.

It's also seeming as if everyone has the ability to turn into Titans at some level, given the implication that a village within the walls was transformed to create the current invasion.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Crazy theory for the sake of a crazy theory: Ymir is actually a Titan who transformed into a human, rather than the other way around. Ymir is a common Titan name.

Anime talk:
If we're going to get a "filler ending" there's an obvious and kind of awesome potential for a very thematically appropriate one: Humanity loses.

We get through this arc, perhaps, with the Titans winning and humanity retreating once again, and then they break through the last wall. Everyone dies, plot threads go unresolved, the mysteries are never answered, everything's hosed up and pointless, The End.

If there's any story where that kind of ending would work, it's this one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That one titan thought that a scout was Ymir. They did have rather similar physical features, which is sort of crazy because Titans don't seem to be smart enough to discern between humans. If a titan recognized Ymir's human form, it naturally follows that Ymir spent time around titans as a human. I have no idea how that would work, as titans can't seem to detect humans that can transform.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Eiba posted:

Crazy theory for the sake of a crazy theory: Ymir is actually a Titan who transformed into a human, rather than the other way around. Ymir is a common Titan name.
This is what I gathered from the latest flashback with those two discussing origins, anyways.

Eiba posted:

If we're going to get a "filler ending" there's an obvious and kind of awesome potential for a very thematically appropriate one: Humanity loses.
Alternatively they could go the route of I am Legend (the book) The monstrous "survivors" of humanity form a new civilization

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 10, 2012

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

E: quote is not edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Check it out, the guy in the most recent chapter, Daz, has made a previous appearance

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/10/125

Nothing special but cool nonetheless.