Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
poo poo that's some good Zimmereit. What kit was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arquinsiel posted:

poo poo that's some good Zimmereit. What kit was it?

Dragon, the Porsche turret. I thought I was ordering the kit with the die-cast turret and hull, but no dice.

Quick build summary: the Zimmerit went on first; I actually had it about half done with a larger screwdriver before I found one tiny enough that it looked to scale. I'm not sure if when dealing with Zimmerit in 1/72 it's better to make it bigger than scale just so it shows up better; this time I went smaller. I'm enough of a nerd about this stuff now that I knew that if I wanted a Normandy King Tiger, it'd have to have the Zimmerit.

Colors are Tamiya with a little white in them to soften them. These are further softened by giving the whole thing a wash of the base color, highly diluted. The mud was an experiment that turned out well: it's some of that MiG pigment power smudged on with mineral spirits. I also did the edges of the wheels with a lead pencil, which was mostly lost in the mud, but looked worn and good. I would have liked to have some Mr. Surfacer for the exhausts, but in scale I suppose it is fine. This is also the *last* time I try and paint tools molded on to the hull; next time I'm just gonna try slicing them off and re-attaching them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm still not sure if I want to try put it on the Airfix KT for Market Garden. I've never had trouble painting moulded tools at that scale myself, but I can see why it'd be annoying. I love the camo pattern.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arquinsiel posted:

I love the camo pattern.

Thanks! I thought a stripy Tiger would be appropriate.

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm still not sure if I want to try put it on the Airfix KT for Market Garden. I've never had trouble painting moulded tools at that scale myself, but I can see why it'd be annoying.

Maybe I'm just doing it the dumb way. First I did the normal painting and then tried to precisely mask the tools. That didn't work, so after redoing it I just painted it freehand.

The Tamiya putty worked well as a solution: you can even cut it after it has cured (as I had to do to get the fenders on.) The only real disadvantage is long curing times.

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
Oh man, the models you guys are putting together are loving amazing!

I want to get into models because I need a hobby that doesn't involve electronic screens... Plus, I've always wanted to get into it. My wife is going to get me set up for a christmas presents. What am I going to need other than an Xacto knife set, brushes, decent cement, a drop cloth, and some files?

I don't even know where to start paint wise... does anyone have any good packages to recommend that will get me set up?

I DO know that I want to do a helicopter... I like helicopters.

Thanks, I know you guys probably answer this a million times, so thanks!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

One of us! One of us!

It sounds like you already have a good idea what you need. For just getting started, I'd add to make sure you get a liquid glue, and not that stuff in the tube. The liquid stuff works by melting the plastic and then letting the plastic resolidify. Because melting is about the last thing you want with transparent plastic (think chopper canopies) I'd also get a tube of superglue specifically for that stuff. I use this LePage gel superglue: its easier to work with, and its very resistant to drying out.

Aside from that, I'd just see what colors your kit needs, and go out and get that. Lots of paint need to be thinned out of the bottle, so remember to get the appropriate thinner, as well. It's been repeated in this thread, I know, but several thin coats usually looks *way* nicer than one thick one.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Bruiser posted:

What am I going to need other than an Xacto knife set, brushes, decent cement, a drop cloth, and some files?

The tool I use the absolute most is an old airbrush needle. It's my paint stirrer, scraper, parts holder (not my picture, but you get the idea), paint bottle unclogger, and sometimes glue applicator.

A little more on the expensive side, this sonic cleaner is very useful. I'm not saying that's the best one out there, it is just the one I have and seems to work pretty well. Even after going through a 2-3 stage cleaning process with my brushes, I'll put them in the sonic cleaner and paint will come seeping out of the ferrule. The sonic cleaner works with the lid open, so if I'm using solvent based paint, I'll just set the jar of solvent in the water (kind of like a double boiler) and hold the brush in the solvent jar while it hums away. The sonic waves vibrate the solvent inside the jar, so it works just fine and is a lot less wasteful than filling up the whole sonic cleaner with mineral spirits or lacquer thinner or whatever.

Other than that, some other cheap common supplies handy to have around are:
Q-Tips
Disposable eyedroppers
Paper Towels
Windex
Sandpaper
Masking tape (I like Frog Tape)

For paint, I'd go with acrylics. I mostly use Vallejo Model Colors. There is a time and a place for enamel and lacquer, but acrylics will hold you over until then. I had the brilliant idea to insert a 1/8" stainless ball bearing into each of my paint dropper bottles to act as an agitator. It works well for mixing the paint, but I found that when I turn the bottle upside-down to squirt the paint out, the bearing drops into the nozzle and acts as a ball valve to block the paint flow.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 4, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Unlike many people I go dirt cheap when doing this sort of thing. A good starter would be the new "Operation Herrick" Airfix sets. Some of them come with pretty much everything you'll need to get started on a nice Westland Lynx kit.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Nebakenezzer posted:

One of us! One of us!

It sounds like you already have a good idea what you need. For just getting started, I'd add to make sure you get a liquid glue, and not that stuff in the tube. The liquid stuff works by melting the plastic and then letting the plastic resolidify. Because melting is about the last thing you want with transparent plastic (think chopper canopies) I'd also get a tube of superglue specifically for that stuff. I use this LePage gel superglue: its easier to work with, and its very resistant to drying out.

Aside from that, I'd just see what colors your kit needs, and go out and get that. Lots of paint need to be thinned out of the bottle, so remember to get the appropriate thinner, as well. It's been repeated in this thread, I know, but several thin coats usually looks *way* nicer than one thick one.

I'll go right along with this, but you need to be careful with superglue on clear parts. Depending on the glue, it may "frost" your parts and leave a cloudy residue on them. I've been using plain white Elmer's Glue-All on my windshields and headlights and haven't looked back.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Love that Tiger II!

I did a 1:35 Panther with home made zimmerit a while back if you want to look I have some WIP shots but not any fully finished ones.

big_g fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 7, 2012

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
That looks sweet at hell. Maybe I should try my hand at Zimmerit the next time I get a German kit.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sweet Panther! How did you do your Zimmerit? I love the straight vertical lines, however you did it.

griffia
Dec 20, 2006
It can't be helped
pretty sweet zimmerit, something i have yet to risk.

On Tamiya new mold releases, your forgetting all the 1/32nd scale spitfires and mustangs, plus the 1/48 il2 and 1/72 il2,

all in all this years been pretty big with tamiya, plus they are expanding on old molds and building new stuff for them rather than reboxing them straight.

mold costs may be expensive, but the number of start up companies that are bringing out models that aren't super expensive, means something has happened, look at eduard, and how they are bringing out models, eduard isn't super high volume but they are looking at bringing out spitfires soon, even airfix is releasing new molds.
(all this means nothing because I didn't realise you were talking bout 1/24 cars in which case yeah they shat the bed unless you like classic American stuff from revell)

CNC and CAD has helped level the playing field for all the manufacturers when it comes to cost, Tamiya has had to adjust. but there wouldn't be so many variations of 1/32nd spitfires from tamiya if they didn't make a sweet killing from them, nor bring out the mustang variants too.

Hellbeard posted:

I ordered this:

I have no idea what I'm doing. I think I'll get a couple of 1/72 kits to practice on basic techniques of every aspect of scale modeling. Any good comprehensive guides on basic techniques?

some high quality Spanish show about model building had a episode with that merkava, really good to watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOcHrFQqLoU

griffia fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 8, 2012

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
Thanks for the help everyone!

I've asked for a drop cloth, a self healing cutting board from airfix, an Xacto basic knife set, the glue applicator thing and files from the OP, the military flat enamel paint set from testors, some file boards, Humbrol brushes, and Tamiya thin cement... oh, and this beautiful bitch from Revell:

One of my favorite choppers. Nicknamed the Ugly Angel, this ship saw service in Korea and the early stages of Vietnam as rescue/casevac platform. She was also one of the last piston driven ships to see service. Here's a great video of the startup and takeoff. You can actually hear the pilot changing gears!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYqE6EqU84Q

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Maybe you guys can help me out. I've got this color I'm trying paint:

I'm slightly color deficient so I've got a hell of a time seeing slight differences in colors. I use primarily tamiya paints and I'm going to have to mix them somehow but I'm not really sure where to begin. It's an olivey kind of color but Olive Drab is far too dark and the color is off if I mix in white, although it is closer. It's also sort of yellow-green but I'm not sure what I ought to mix in to get that color.

Any tips on paint mixing is also appreciated.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Finished the Tamiya Carrera GT

Next project will be one of these:

Apparently there aren't that many parts at all since it's a curbside kit (no engine detail). I've been dying to do an F1 kit since I started building models again.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Faltion posted:

I'm slightly color deficient so I've got a hell of a time seeing slight differences in colors. I use primarily tamiya paints and I'm going to have to mix them somehow but I'm not really sure where to begin. It's an olivey kind of color but Olive Drab is far too dark and the color is off if I mix in white, although it is closer. It's also sort of yellow-green but I'm not sure what I ought to mix in to get that color.

If it doesn't look right when you lighten with white, try lightening with a light grey or a bone/offwhite.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

George Zimmer posted:

Finished the Tamiya Carrera GT

Next project will be one of these:

Apparently there aren't that many parts at all since it's a curbside kit (no engine detail). I've been dying to do an F1 kit since I started building models again.

Nice work! Looking really sweet.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Faltion posted:

Maybe try their olive drab with some desert tan?

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I got my hands on some olive green and mixed it with a bit of yellow green and it came out closer to what I was looking for. Thanks for the tips guys.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Anyone in the thread own a 1/35 scale T-62 tank? I am looking to get dimensions on the turret to see if it is able to be used in another project of mine.

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Sweet Panther! How did you do your Zimmerit? I love the straight vertical lines, however you did it.

Tamiya produce a zimmerit tool and after dragging the horizontal lines I pulled down the vertical ones with the edge of it try to copy schemes I had seen in old photos.

griffia
Dec 20, 2006
It can't be helped

The Dark Project posted:

Anyone in the thread own a 1/35 scale T-62 tank? I am looking to get dimensions on the turret to see if it is able to be used in another project of mine.

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

trumpeter make a few variants of the t-62, which seems alright. otherwise if you need dimensions see if you can get some in scale technical drawings.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Thread needs more tanks again.

After grabbing my models from work, I got an entire Christie tank family going: the BT-7 (sadly I don't have a BT-7M), T-34 mod 1943, and T-34-85. Plus I put some figures around it because why not. My improvised photo box isn't large enough for three 1:35th scale tanks, so you'll have to see my floor.

First is the pre-war BT-7, with the old cylindrical turret. I made it with the tracks up because I might as well show off the convertible drive. The crewmen are wearing early war uniforms: the gunner has a blue jumpsuit and the commander has blue pants with a red stripe and a leather jacket. There is also naval infantry, since a lot of Soviet ships were lost in the early part of the war, and the sailors were made into improvised infantry.

T-34 model 1943. The infantry here actually bears no rank insignia, so they would fit into whatever period.

T-34-85. Crew and infantry are wearing modernized uniforms with shoulder rank insignia.

Column from the back.

Edit: more pictures and a bit of history in this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=410809064

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 22, 2012

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Is there anyone in this thread who use a dremel tool or similar? I'm thinking about picking one up, as I'm moving from making 6mm scale buildings to 15mm, and filing down excess wood and plastic is taking more and more time. But I'm not really sure what to look for, as in what extra tools are the most useful for modelling, and what brands/models are suitable. Any good recommendations?

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I've decided to burn some of my Christmas bonus on a decent airbrush and hobby compressor. Any recommendations on gear?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Badger Krome in your favorite flavor and a Badger silent compressor?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

krushgroove posted:

Badger Krome in your favorite flavor and a Badger silent compressor?

The badger silent compressors are pretty pricey I have found. I think I am going to get a Krome and an Iwata compressor, since badger/iwata adapters are easy to find (and I think one even comes with the krome)

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

slightpirate posted:

I've decided to burn some of my Christmas bonus on a decent airbrush and hobby compressor. Any recommendations on gear?

I really like my Iwata Eclipse. I'm also using a relatively quiet Iwata compressor, but it's no longer in production.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I just got a Dragon PzJg I smart kit and holy poo poo are there a ton of track links in there. The entire kit has a ton of parts, a lot more than I'm used to.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I got an Italieri one in 1/72 and it had individual links. Then, because I am insane, I decided to get their Panzer I aswell :smithicide:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I had a Trumpeter (I think) 1/72 FAMO, and not only were the tracks with individual links, they were on the sprue, and each link came in two pieces. That was insane. I never complained about rubber tracks after that.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
On the other scale of craziness, there do exist aftermarket track liks that are metal and you need to hammer them in with metal rods like real ones.

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/karaya/kar_mtr02.htm

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That actually wouldn't be so bad, since you're not dealing with plastic bits that break off as you get them out of the sprue and delicate gluing. I bet they're really expensive though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's also for a tank with really big track links. I suspect the entire 1/72 PzJgr I is smaller than the 1/35 Tiger's turret.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

That actually wouldn't be so bad, since you're not dealing with plastic bits that break off as you get them out of the sprue and delicate gluing. I bet they're really expensive though.

They usually are expensive and if you don't have the holes lined up precisely and/or have some unexpected roughness on the inside of the holes you will be bending a lot of wire and swearing copiously during assembly.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I found an old KV-2 Tamiya kit lying around, partially assembled, with some pieces missing. The flag is there to hide a missing driver's hatch, but I think it turned out well. It's a "blank" Red Army divisional flag, since I couldn't find any pictures of a Red Army divisional flag that used KV-2s. An actual flag would have the division number, list of titles (Guards, Order of Lenin, etc) and maybe a slogan. They would have been too hard to write at this scale anyway.

The crew is a mix of Tamiya and Zvezda figures. The guy sticking up from the hatch came with the kit. He's only a torso, so you're stuck with having to glue him in. I can't remember if the tank comes with a full body figure like the box would suggest, but if it does, it got lost long ago. The one standing on top of the turret and the one sitting up front holding a PPSh and signal flags are from the Zvezda tank crewmen kit. The rest are from the Tamiya tank crewmen kit.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
So I've just gotten back into this hobby after many years of absence. I was into Gundam model kits a lot when I was a teenager and did some OK modelling, but that was a long time ago and now that I'm back into the hobby as an adult I want to do a good job (like so many of you guys do) but I don't really know where to start.

I've got a Tamiya Panzer II F/G model (it was :10bux: so I thought it was a good start for military modelling) that I've been working on. I'm doing the paint in German Grey, and wanted to do some light weathering but I hosed it up so badly I ended up re-spraying it. Can anyone tell me where to start with a project like this, like maybe a 'baby's first weathering' guide or something, because half of what I've read out there makes sense until I try to apply the technique, and then it looks awful and I feel like an idiot.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I also got the Tamiya PzII, but it cost me $20. It's a really awesome simple kit for a beginner! The easiest and cheapest way to make something look passable (without going into crazy things like pigments and whatever) is to take some brown paint, and dry brush it onto the parts that might get rusty/dirty. So the suspension bits, basically. If you have some desert yellow, add some splotches of that, since all mud isn't the same colour. Take some silver paint and dry brush it on surfaces that would get a lot of wear. Dry brush over the edges of the decals a little bit so they don't look brand new, but a little faded. Then you can dilute some brown paint and wash over the "hard to reach" places, that gives it a nice rusty look. You can see the effect on my KV-2 just below the driver's observation slit.

If you're looking for more cheap and simple kits, the old Zvezda ones are pretty good. They generally don't have thousands of tiny little pieces that go inside and you never see them again like the more expensive kits out there, which really cuts down on the cost of the kit. The downside is vinyl tracks, but they're not so bad once you get a hang of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've discovered that the best way to do tracks when they are Vinyl or otherwise one-piece is to glue them onto the sprocket and return wheel before you put those wheels on the tank itself. Putting the return rollers and road wheels on after made assembly easy.