Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Isn't it 2 full level 2 shotties even with carapace to kill a fade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2

Some aussies playing on the official stream.

e: cannot believe anyone thinks aliens are underpowered

YOURFRIEND fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 8, 2012

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I've gotten into the habit of not being afraid of grenade launcher bearing marines. The worst thing to do is run away; the best thing to do is race right at them and bite the hell out of them.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

YOURFRIEND posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2

Some aussies playing on the official stream.

e: cannot believe anyone thinks aliens are underpowered

These casters are horrible, especially the fat American guy. I'm obligated to watch because a friend is playing and I've got it on mute most of the time.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Torpor posted:

I've gotten into the habit of not being afraid of grenade launcher bearing marines. The worst thing to do is run away; the best thing to do is race right at them and bite the hell out of them.

GL is expensive and sort of useless. It doesn't explode on alien contact anymore.

They need to bring back hand grenades.

BlackJoo
Sep 26, 2011

That's not a dagger, it's called a syringe!

Guesticles posted:

GL is expensive and sort of useless. It doesn't explode on alien contact anymore.

They need to bring back hand grenades.
They can still be useful when sieging hives though, since they can take out eggs and players at the same time. But yeah they are overpriced for a weapon that really only suits that particular niche.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
I'd rather that I could buy like an ARC turret or something that I could carry and set up. It would be just as useful in combat, with the added bonus I'm unlikely to kill myself with it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Why don't they explode on contact? They should add that back in the game.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Was anyone watching the tournament on the NS2 twitch channel? Judging from twitter something crazy happened and the game tied or something.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

totalnewbie posted:

Isn't it 2 full level 2 shotties even with carapace to kill a fade?

A level 3 shotgun blast does a max of 220 damage. A Fade with carapace has 250hp and 100 armor, so 450 health. 2 perfect shotgun blasts does would leave a fade at 10hp, or kill him without carapace.

:eng101:

AgentF
May 11, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Was anyone watching the tournament on the NS2 twitch channel? Judging from twitter something crazy happened and the game tied or something.

It was a chair/hive race and both were destroyed at pretty much the same time. No "<someone> wins" text appeared and everyone just ended up in the ready room with no clear winner. The hosts talked about the possibility that both tech points were destroyed in the same tick and so it was the first draw. I don't know how long a tick is but although it was pretty close I'm certain that one of them was destroyed a good quarter-second before the other.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
A tick is 1 frame essentially

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
What server do most goons play on now that NS2Goons went down? That one had great ping/performace/commanders.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

What server do most goons play on now that NS2Goons went down? That one had great ping/performace/commanders.
Knife the Hippo.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
What happened to ns2goons? :(

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I'll get a new one up tomorrow.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Garfu posted:

I'll get a new one up tomorrow.

Only if you can Knife the Hippo should you bother :colbert:

E: Knife the Rhino/Rat/Bat/Mantis are all still valid server names

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Alright, NS2Goons is back up. You can direct connect at chi2.ns2servers.com

Or just look for it on the list

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Garfu posted:

What are the mods you put on your server?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Given that there are 2 (3?) goon servers and about enough goons to populate one some of the time, why should we use use Knife over NS2 Goons and vice versa?

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

NS2 patched itself today. Anybody know what's up with that?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Garfu posted:

The alien Christmas was hilarious. Bright white infestation, hives that look like christmas trees and funny colored aliens. Never did get to see what the onos looked like though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Metal Meltdown posted:

NS2 patched itself today. Anybody know what's up with that?
Yeah.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Looks like no camo exploit fix.

MrKonarski
May 9, 2012

Dominoes posted:

Looks like no camo exploit fix.

Lol really ? I'll test it out , it's ridicolous and it's making playing in french servers terrible ( for some reason they like shade a lot )

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Ah man some of the best games today.

Game 1
Marines on refinery where we took smelting and pipeline and with some good beacons, held both. Aliens, naturally, had double. A couple sneaky runs into containment to snipe upgrades and a couple overzealous onoses (this map has TONS of long hallways and is great for chasing with jetpacks, especially on the left side of the map between pipe and containment), and we pull out a victory.

Game 2
Aliens on docking where we were held to courtyard/departures/generator while marines had terminal/cafeteria/locker. We were slowly losing the as marines were constantly pushing into maintenance and were pushing from east. Another lerk and I go into landing pad and start hitting the terminal power, like you do. 1 or 2 marines come back to deal with it, so I fly into terminal and start harassing the welders (luckily, we had celerity/regen), making use of the ledge above the power.

The other lerk stayed out in landing pad to keep putting pressure on the power. 1 or 2 skulks come in to help, which helped IMMENSELY, and then the power goes out. This fight actually took quite a long time. Predictably, we roll over cafeteria, marines hold off in locker room for a little bit, but game over.

Game 3
Aliens on mineshaft. Marines started in deposit and pushed into sorting and operations. Aliens tried to take repair but could not hold them off, as they would come in 4-6 at a time and the hives/tech points on that map are huge and really open. We drop repair repeatedly but can never keep it. Thanks to having double, we were able to get an onos pretty quickly and before we even managed to get a second hive location secured, much less grown, we hit sorting. I get the power down to half before they notice, but then the onos comes in and ends in short order. We take sorting.

Aliens hold cave and sorting, marine start is deposit, and they hold repair pretty tightly (as well as operations). Since deposit is a bitch to attack due to long and narrow hallways, we focus on repair, which has a very exposed power node. We start harassing the hell out of repair power with lerks and the occasional onos, but can never keep it down. We take repair power down 2-3 times and they get it back up each time. Then finally, we manage to take repair down AND kill all the marines and we take repair.

So now, marines have enough res for some exos. A lot of them must have saved for exos, because 1 walks by himself to repair (and dies after killing a skulk and a lerk, maybe). Then two start walking into repair with some backup, while another 1 is pushing sorting from deposit. We only have 1 onos at this point, I think. The exos going into repair are unstoppable, and they take it down and marines begin to push into cave. We abandon repair, take down the exo pushing from deposit, and bile bomb deposit. We take down the arms lab when the commander beacons, and everyone hightails it into cave to hit the two lone dual exos. We kill their exos without losing many (any?) higher life forms and take back repair.

Two jetpacks with flamethrowers finish off cave hive, but by this point, we've got a ton of res from holding double and with marines not having exos or a lot of weapons+jetpacks, we win pretty quickly after that.

This last game was amazing because we went from not having a second hive (though we did have double), to barely taking a second hive, to winning by exploiting pubbie :rock:DUAL EXOS:rock: mentality.

Moral of the story: dual exos are overrated.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Didn't think marines could start at Deposit on Mineshaft.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

AgentF posted:

I don't believe they can.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
Are any sales going on right now? What's the cheapest place to pick up NS right now?

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

This last game was amazing because we went from not having a second hive (though we did have double), to barely taking a second hive, to winning by exploiting pubbie :rock:DUAL EXOS:rock: mentality.

Moral of the story: dual exos are overrated.

I com'ed a game that was quite similar to that on mineshaft. Lots of back and forth on bases. They also had a hardon for exos. The real moral of the story: Exo's lose games, because if they had gotten jet packs and only used them they would have won.

At 10 res a pop, they are a loving steal. One dual mini gun exo buys 7 loving lives of jetpacks. I have seen commanders refuse to research exos (for good reason) to force people to buy jetpacks.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 11, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Dave Mustard posted:

Are any sales going on right now? What's the cheapest place to pick up NS right now?
No sales and unless it goes on sale in the Winter sale it probably won't go on sale for a while. It's a Steam only thing basically so you can't really wait for a special sale on some other website like Greenmangaming.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Dave Mustard posted:

Give me your Steam details and I'll give it to you for free.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Addict posted:

I com'ed a game that was quite similar to that on mineshaft. Lots of back and forth on bases. They also had a hardon for exos. The real moral of the story: Exo's lose games, because if they had gotten jet packs and only used them they would have won.

At 10 res a pop, they are a loving steal. One dual mini gun exo buys 7 loving lives of jetpacks. I have seen commanders refuse to research exos (for good reason) to force people to buy jetpacks.
I honestly think implementing an exo limit would be the biggest buff you could give Marines in pubs right now.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

AgentF posted:

Fine, they started operations. But drat it, it was good.

MikoLovesYou
Nov 20, 2003

I came here tonight with my...self. Oh God.
This patch increased the FPS on my laptop by an easy 10-20 fps. Glad they're on the right track.

Also, doesn't anyone else think this game would do well with matchmaking / elo rating system? Much like the way Dota2 or HoN handles it. I just think people would leave games a lot less if their w/l was being tracked and would see them through to the end. You could also have some sort of cosmetic unlock system like Dota2 has. I think that would really improve the longevity of the game and would attract a lot of new players.

I'd love to be able to just hop into a match and be paired with players with a similar skill cap.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
I never liked that sort of ranking system. It really discourages players from playing with their friends. I've definitely had buddies blow off other buddies because they didn't want to ruin their rank in DOTA or whatever. I'd say leave all the ranking to the players themselves. If they want to set up matches among people of a similar skill level, that's their prerogative.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
Am I imagining this, or is the early Camo for aliens way too drat good? Maybe I keep running up against coordinated pre-mades or something, but every time I go Marines my team is destroyed by this.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
It's insanely good because you can move around with it silently and marines won't know where the attacks will come from without scans. By the time they can react you've already gotten 2 hits in at least or possible 3 and killed them. The game having really lovely hit indication probably doesn't help (maybe it's just a problem for me). It matters on how early aliens get it & how quick marines are in expanding. If they get some poo poo set up beforehand they just have to put up obs and it is completely useless.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
You really just need a good com.

Mines + scan + obs makes camo obsolete very quickly. Though of course right now, camo is exploitable so it is extra good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Strength of Many posted:

Am I imagining this, or is the early Camo for aliens way too drat good? Maybe I keep running up against coordinated pre-mades or something, but every time I go Marines my team is destroyed by this.
It's broken in the literal sense at the moment. Camo is supposed to make you rrreeeaaalll ssslllooowww when cloaked, but due to a bug you can zoom around a full speed, removing the penalty.

• Locked thread