Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Konami's six-player X-Men arcade game is massively overrated, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

quakster posted:

Against what? 3D Brawlers? Yes they do.

Against other, better beat-em-ups (mostly by Capcom.) I won't lie, playing them on a cab was a hell of an experience -- especially the giant two-screen six-player X-men cab -- but the actual gameplay removed from the context of being an 11-year-old in an arcade in 1992 is not all that great.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I had to turn that episode off before the end - I was getting as bored as Arino was. I think kids would get the point by fifty stages, Namco.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Brawlers are still fun, I play them pretty often. I tend to buy most of the ones that come out on XBLA (except Simpsons, oddly enough), and also tend to play them enough to get all the achievements in them too. If you want to play them without pressure, play em in MAME and hammer the quarter button all you want. I do it all the time.

If you wanna see what a modern brawler can be, check out Double Dragon Neon. If you enjoy fun things you shouldn't be disappointed.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

He seems to have received a string of tweets about foreign lands, retweeting them with "Oh! Italy!," "Oh! America!" and "Oh! Germany" (if no-one mentions Canada, a joke will have been missed):

おお!ドイツ!ゲームにはウインナーが付き物で、コントローラベタベタでしょうね。。“@radiodevt: @arimorokoshi415 kachooo! とも! ドイツ人です! Wii U が好きですか? Miiverseの名前は何ですか?”
おお!アメリカ!ハンバーガーにはフライドポテトなんでしょうね。“@subbes: @arimorokoshi415 America loves the kacho! http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me75zsTODc1r2pz7go1_250.gif …”
おお!イタリア!女性にはやっぱり優しいんでしょうね。“@seekerofthevoid: @arimorokoshi415 課長!私はイタリア人のファンです!課長の挑戦いつも見てます!おかげさまで色々な古いファミコンゲームを発見しました!課長ON!!!”
Translation:

radiodevt: "Hello Kacho! I'm German! Do you like Wii U? What is your Miiverse name?"
Arino: "Oh! Germany! I bet your controller's sticky from eating sausages while gaming..."

subbes: "America loves the kacho! "http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me75zsTODc1r2pz7go1_250.gif
Arino: "Oh! America! I bet you have fries with your hamburger."

seekerofthevoid: "Kacho! I'm an Italian fan! I always watch your challenges! Thanks to you, I discovered all kinds of old Famicom games. Kacho on!"
Arino: "Oh! Italy! I bet you're kind to women."

ETA: He just wrote "What gives? Is the Chief booming in foreign countries??"

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 10, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Coin-ops were the original freemium games: invitingly shallow, and made trivial by the capacity and willingness to spend money on them.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

zari-gani posted:

And Arino delivers an :iceburn:.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Obeast posted:

Yeah, Simpsons Arcade really isn't technologically advanced for it's time, so I'm sure the SNES/Genesis could've handled it just fine with some minor changes/cuts. I'm betting it was an issue with Acclaim having rights to make the console games like Bart vs the Space Mutants, which came out the same year as Simpsons Arcade. At least Konami did finally re-release it on XBLA/PSN with online play (which works okay as long as you have good latency), and a pretty good set of options like being able to play either the US/JAP versions as well as a survival game mode where you only have one life and no continues to see how far you can get (which is actually pretty fun solo, but I bet it's even better with other people).

It's not that the sprites are terribly complex, it's that they're animated at a high framerate, there's a lot going on during most of the game, and the game uses a good number of scaling effects that I think would be too complex for the SNES to manage.

I could be wrong about this, I just think it was too advanced for a solid home port at the time.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

zari-gani posted:

Translation:

radiodevt: "Hello Kacho! I'm German! Do you like Wii U? What is your Miiverse name?"
Arino: "Oh! Germany! I bet your controller's sticky from eating sausages while gaming..."

subbes: "America loves the kacho! "http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me75zsTODc1r2pz7go1_250.gif

seekerofthevoid: "Kacho! I'm an Italian fan! I always watch your challenges! Thanks to you, I discovered all kinds of old Famicom games. Kacho on!"

Holy poo poo :lol:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

zari-gani posted:

Translation:

This only confirms that the Kacho is the best.

Yes, we do have fries with our hamburgers :allears:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

zari-gani posted:

Translation:

I want to see a German Game center CX just to watch a German dude eat sausages on a stick.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

The Muffinlord posted:

It's not that the sprites are terribly complex, it's that they're animated at a high framerate, there's a lot going on during most of the game, and the game uses a good number of scaling effects that I think would be too complex for the SNES to manage.

I could be wrong about this, I just think it was too advanced for a solid home port at the time.

There's definately no way the SNES could handle the arcade game. The main problem is the huge number of intricate sprites in the background. Any SNES port would probably animate a single player sprite, and maybe two or three enemy sprites at most. All of the backgrounds would become static, and things like the doors opening and hitting you as you walk past them would have to go. The characters who run around in the background would probably have to become imanimate parts of the background.

If you think about how Turtles In Time and Final Fight were ported, a port of The Simpsons just seems absolutely mindblowing - the game is almost specifically designed as a marquee arcade experience, and even if it was stripped down to a one-player game, there are often times when you can have 5 large, animated sprites on screen, none of which are even enemies.

I don't think scaling effects of framerate even have to come into the equation - the SNES has always been historically bad at porting belt-scrolling games with a large number of sprites.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

ElMaligno posted:

I want to see a German Game center CX just to watch a German dude eat sausages on a stick. lots of currywurst.
Corrections made. Also, the controller would be spotless. Because really, why would you put that delicious curry ketchup anywhere else but into your craw?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

zari-gani posted:

Translation:

:lol: Arino is the best at international relations. I also would love to see another European trip where he goes to Germany and attempts to eat sausage while gaming.

The Muffinlord posted:

I'm sure they could've cut/changed some stuff (especially the scaling sprites) to make it fit and play perfectly or close to perfect. Most of the home ports of arcade games back then weren't 100% faithful to the originals, but even some of the changes actually made some home ports better than the originals.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Reference posted:

Against other, better beat-em-ups (mostly by Capcom.) I won't lie, playing them on a cab was a hell of an experience -- especially the giant two-screen six-player X-men cab -- but the actual gameplay removed from the context of being an 11-year-old in an arcade in 1992 is not all that great.
Well, yeah, Capcom kinda blows Konami out of the water in the Beat 'em up department, that goes without saying.

Also, 8/16-bit "ports" of arcade games were remade completely from the ground up, hence people being upset that TMNT: Re-shelled is a remake of the arcade game rather than the SNES one and other similar anecdotes.

quakster fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 10, 2012

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
No changes would have made that game better. The Simpsons arcade game is basically the perfect wacky punch-dudes brawler, and that's why we've spent two stupid pages arguing about it. If they'd put it out on any home console(aside from the Neo Geo, which barely counts but probably could have handled running it) it would have ruined the frenetic experience of the arcade game.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Latest replies to foreign tweets:

LikChan: "love you Arino-san!"
Arino: "Where are you from ah-hah"

[This tweet is from someone Japanese pretending to be a foreigner with broken Japanese]
yokomuu: "Kacho! I'm from Tashini. I'm always cheering you on. Please do your best."
Arino: "Oh! A river snail [Tanishi=river snail]! I bet you stick to the back of your controller. Don't mistake the buttons for river snails."

Jazaaboo: "Hello from America! http://thespeedgamers.com/oild-rally-kings-snow-mountain"
Arino: "Oh! America! Careful not to put your controller in your hamburger and eat it!"

LikChan: "YEEEAAAHHHH!!!!"
Arino's: ((((;゚Д゚)))))))

Don't frighten poor Arino.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Caitlin posted:

I had to call my friend into the room because I got him into the show and he loved it and we sat there like little giggling schoolchildren. :3:

If anyone here feels the need to degenerate further into the Japanese television scene I would highly recommend looking up the fansubs for Liar Game because it really was a fun show, especially if you're into social engineering and puzzles!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liar_Game_(TV_series)

Liar Game is fun, although Ive only read the comics. It can be pretty hit or miss (the current game is pretty lame), but its still enjoyable.

The art isnt that fantastic either, there are some noneuclidian horrors in it: http://i.imgur.com/4A4hy.jpg

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I have to admit that I haven't actually played it in over fifteen years, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bunch of crap in there I completely forgot about. I stand by the part about it being massively overrated.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

zari-gani posted:

Latest replies to foreign tweets:

LikChan: "love you Arino-san!"
Arino: "Where are you from ah-hah"

[This tweet is from someone Japanese pretending to be a foreigner with broken Japanese]
yokomuu: "Kacho! I'm from Tashini. I'm always cheering you on. Please do your best."
Arino: "Oh! A river snail [Tanishi=river snail]! I bet you stick to the back of your controller. Don't mistake the buttons for river snails."

Jazaaboo: "Hello from America! http://thespeedgamers.com/oild-rally-kings-snow-mountain"
Arino: "Oh! America! Careful not to put your controller in your hamburger and eat it!"

LikChan: "YEEEAAAHHHH!!!!"
Arino's: ((((;゚Д゚)))))))

Don't frighten poor Arino.
I read "buttons for river snails" as "buttons for rival snails", which made that tweet even funnier. Those are still awesome, though... :)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Just tweeted to Arino in Google-translated Japanese. I hope the point gets across and I dont call him a rock.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Just tweeted to Arino in Google-translated Japanese. I hope the point gets across and I dont call him a rock.

"I have come from America, I love your show. The next time when you come to America it is imperative you make a visit to Tacoma. We here, we have a splendid game center that provides alcohol."

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

zari-gani posted:

I would be insulted if I didn't love hamburgers so much.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

zari-gani posted:

"I have come from America, I love your show. The next time when you come to America it is imperative you make a visit to Tacoma. We here, we have a splendid game center that provides alcohol."

Thats actually better than what I wrote!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

zari-gani posted:

Okay, this is pretty awesome:

And is this your art, zari-gani? Comments he made on the page suggest yes.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

Okay, this is pretty awesome:

And is this your art, zari-gani? Comments he made on the page suggest yes.

Yeah, I didn't post it here because it was done super last-minute and I'm not proud of the result :v: Obligatory Ice Level Day is run by a friend of mine (see her previous ice level arts here, here, here -- my favourite year -- and current stuff's here; she also commissions musicians to do ice level music remixes) and it's part of the Speed Gamers which is a gaming marathon for charity I've been supporting for a long time.

ETA: She says "thanks" for the kind words, by the way.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 10, 2012

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
So I'm up to Season 8, and well addicted to the show by now.

Maybe it's just the translations, but one of the best things about it is the deadpan narrator. Arino can do something lighthearted and silly like beating a kid at some game at a Tamage segment and cheering, while the narrator interprets it like "ARINO-KACHOU ENJOYS THE SUFFERING OF SMALL CHILDREN". It cracks me up.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

zari-gani posted:

That's me (Yes I know I sound like a giddy school girl)! Sausages for crying out loud, I couldn't make that out and Google translate didn't know it, either. I was actually going to post this in here and ask you to translate it, heh.

(Thank you for not mentioning how messed up my Japanese is.)

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 10, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Katana Gomai posted:

That's me (Yes I know I sound like a giddy school girl)! Sausages for crying out loud, I couldn't make that out and Google translate didn't know it, either. I was actually going to post this in here and ask you to translate it, heh.

(Thank you for not mentioning how messed up my Japanese is.)

So... is it?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I feel like I am obliged to say that everything's better with sausage (because it is) but I don't eat while I play so my Wii U Gamepad is still all nice and clean.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

pigdog posted:

Maybe it's just the translations, but one of the best things about it is the deadpan narrator. Arino can do something lighthearted and silly like beating a kid at some game at a Tamage segment and cheering, while the narrator interprets it like "ARINO-KACHOU ENJOYS THE SUFFERING OF SMALL CHILDREN". It cracks me up.

She leaves at some point, the new narrator doesn't have that hint of barely restrained disdain :(

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

pigdog posted:

One of my favorite moments from an episode that got translated not too long ago was Arino beating a little kid at Street Fighter 2 and celebrated at the kid's expense while the crowd booed him during some GCCX-related event they held. I guess despite being a father of two, he loves lowering the self-esteems of children. :v:

Edit: It's the Super Ghouls n' Ghosts episode. I just rewatched that scene and it will never not be funny.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012
Great episodes lately! It's interesting that they translated "boku nara dekiru sa" in Parappa as "I gotta believe." (or vice-versa; I'm not sure what language came first.)

Also, it looks like they pretty much did with Child Rearing Quiz what I imagined they would do for a game like Wonder Project J: try to relate the gameplay to the gang's experience with child rearing.

And I'm tempted to tweet Arino now. I hope I don't embarrass myself with my lovely Japanese. :ohdear:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
If I tweeted Arino, I'd probably say something like "Game controllers make hamburgers so much more tastier." Except in incredibly broken Google-translated Japanese.

I'd probably end up calling him a mountain.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
God I think the Parappa episode is one of my favourites now. Just watching him sing along in Japanese makes me smile so hard :allears:

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
Have they ever run into any of those TMNT arcade games? I kinda wanna see which turtle Arino is. I'd guess Leonardo, seeing as he's a kachou.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

She leaves at some point, the new narrator doesn't have that hint of barely restrained disdain :(

Oh lord yes the narrator change. The old one (Yuko Takeda?) is so much better. I'm not sure how I can put my dislike into words here, but I just hate how the new narrator tries to be so emotional and dramatic all the time and ends up just sounding so weird.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 10, 2012

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
Obviously the next time you tweet at Arino you have to use http://translationparty.com/

Example: http://translationparty.com/#10629120

or for extra confusion http://translationparty.com/#10629125

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

Obviously the next time you tweet at Arino you have to use http://translationparty.com/

Example: http://translationparty.com/#10629120

or for extra confusion http://translationparty.com/#10629125

I went to this and naturally the first thing I did was "He's stuck in a pattern!"

It got, uh, stuck in a pattern alternating between "He had been stuck in a pattern" and "He was stuck in a pattern."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

ReWinter posted:

I went to this and naturally the first thing I did was "He's stuck in a pattern!"

It got, uh, stuck in a pattern alternating between "He had been stuck in a pattern" and "He was stuck in a pattern."

I threw in "Arino try your best", and I got "Best of Shinya arino"... I think it's crazy it knew who I was talking about...