Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Some of them haven't played any DMC, going by earlier stuff in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

charismaslover posted:

So during the fight with Beowulf I actually remembered how to dodge using lock-on, I had just been using trickster to dodge attacks until then :cripes:

It's all slowly coming back to me.

Have we seen any footage of the fist weapons from DmC? I've only seen the screenshots and they look so lazily designed that I was wondering if it looked better in game.

You're braver than I was with that fight. I just kept Air Hiking and Air Dodging, just to avoid the risk of 'no no, you actually DIDN'T dodge that, sorry'.

gently caress Beowulf.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
For Austrians:

A pre-order containing both the Gold, and Bone weapon DLC, and Vergil's downfall, and a soundtrack and a T-shirt (with 2 variations).

[e]: Either rental, or preowned (at a discount) for me. I'll see what Vergil's downfall contains before considering it. If it's more of the same, gently caress them.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 9, 2012

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm genuinely curious, how many of you goons are actually going to buy this game?

I'll probably rent it myself, I mean its gotta be worth at least that.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Justin_Brett posted:

You're braver than I was with that fight. I just kept Air Hiking and Air Dodging, just to avoid the risk of 'no no, you actually DIDN'T dodge that, sorry'.

gently caress Beowulf.

Dodging Beowulf? No no no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3PLU2jRI8M

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

I bought the HD collection so I'm set for playing actual Devil May Cry games. Not a chance I'll be picking up Ninja Theory's storytelling opus.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alteisen posted:

So I'm genuinely curious, how many of you goons are actually going to buy this game?

Definitely gonna rent, I want to play it, but I'll be damned if they're getting a single dollar from me for what has been an awful build up to the game.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
I'll be waiting for actual honest impressions from the people that play it when it comes out. If they don't fix the frame rate drops in the PS3 version then I probably won't even rent it, if I'm going to have to watch a few hours of non-interactive cutscenes then they can at least make them locked to 30FPS, the demo drops gave me a massive headache and I don't intend on making that mistake again.

Genuinely curious to see how the game turns out, also can't wait to read all of the 'reviews' it gets.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Nope, not buying.

I'd like to see what it's like, though. Definitely will check out other people's impressions or a good LP if one arises.

I'd consider it bargain bin or crazy Steam price or something. But that probably won't be for 1+ years after the release.

Even not comparing it to DMC I'm just really apathetic towards the game.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

You also could do Shin Shoryuken in DMC3, using Beowulf and Swordmaster, which was my point :v:

You can follow it up with Tatsumaki Senpukyaku if you mash the button.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
I'm actually gonna buy the DMC HD collection on DmC's release date just to spite NT :haw:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

It's probably a good thing that they released a demo, now I know that I won't impulse buy this out of curiosity.

Working my way through the HD collection backwards, DMC3 > DMC2 :smithicide: > DMC and will probably replay 4 to top it all off. Hopefully by the time I have worked my way through it all without getting burned out it will be in time for Revengeance :c00l:

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

Alteisen posted:

I would say "rent," after playing the demo on 360. However, it was on a friend's console and I only own a PC, so I might wait until it's 5 or 10 on a Steam sale since that's basically like grabbing it from the bargain bin.

PC version will at least have 60 fps, so there's that. I'm legitimately curious about what other guns we'll get, we've already seen E&I and the shogun but I wonder what others there are. Kalina Ann and Artemis in DMC3 were a lot of fun to play with, and so was Pandora in 4.

wildzero fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 10, 2012

dontmorelikewont
Oct 10, 2007
Seeing recent game trends of shipping more units than they sell, this game could approach SFxT prices in like a month (40 dollars or 30). But i might wait for a steam sale. The PS3 version tears pretty bad and has certain areas where the fps drops badly. But I am thinking of buying DMC HD collection on DmC launch day heh...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

wildzero posted:

PC version will at least have 60 fps, so there's that. I'm legitimately curious about what other guns we'll get, we've already seen E&I and the shogun but I wonder what others there are. Kalina Ann and Artemis in DMC3 were a lot of fun to play with, and so was Pandora in 4.

This is the remaining weapon.

Kablooey

It apparently functions somewhat similar to Nightmare or Artemis, if the data and picture is anything to go by.

It and poo poo loads of other stuff were found in the demo files. Enemy listings (and some moves), upgrades (including Vergil's!), models, and blurry artifacted images.

What with that and the achievement list being leaked (and the accidental showing of white-haired Dante), the only thing that hasn't really been spoiled to hell and back is the level design.

[e]: I've always been a shameless shotgun whore, myself.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 10, 2012

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

Somehow I forgot about that. "Kablooey" looks kinda neat, at least, and Nightmare was probably my favourite gun from the first game.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

Try here (The guy playing it is terrible).
They don't really look that great in action either - there's this weird orange cone that appears when they charge up and swing, which looks a bit strange. They function identically to the other fist weapons though.

WHERE IS KILLER BEE?? I hope it is in the game, killer bee is one of the gauntlet weapons signature moves in the Devil May Cry series. They tend to mess around with the moves for that weapon, but it always has a dive kick.

The animation in this game still bothers me. It's kinda strange in this video how the fist attacks don't have proper transferring of weight. When he lets go of a charge, his body twists without any forward movement or stepping behind the punch to really show that effort is being put behind it. The only motion is his fist moving in an arc and his body twisting to allow further extension of his arm. I know they apparently said they are trying to make it look like he is new to fighting, but it still just looks like bad animation to me. The animation does not match up with the strength it is supposed to be conveying.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Szurumbur posted:

The first sentence written in a DmC write-up in a magazine I read today: "Dante doing Shoryuken? Unthinkable; but using Eryx, a new melee weapon, it's very much possible" (translated). :pseudo::allears: etc.

Dante had a Shoryuken in DMC1 (kinda), DMC3 (he literally yelled the move's name), and DMC4. I'm pretty sure people paid to write advertisements haven't actually played the games they like to talk about!

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Another innovation DmC brings to the genre: "You'd think swinging your weapon means you have to stand there and commit to an attack, but in actuality you can dodge even when the animation is not completely finished, which is important to evade attacks" Holy poo poo, this game has dodge cancelling :aaaaa: Best DMC ever :v:!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

And we thought two dodge buttons were unnecessary.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Yeah, Gilgamesh in DMC4 could do both a Shoryuken and a Shin-Shoryuken (though I don't think he uses his other hand, just that the game does the pausing animation).

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

That loving Sned posted:

And we thought two dodge buttons were unnecessary.

Now you can dodge twice as hard :eng101:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I was browsing through some magazines in my local newsagents this morning, one of the Xbox magazines has a DmC preview which was basically a 6 page ad. It also included the phrase "Sorry we ever doubted you Ninja Theory" *slurp slurp*. They went on to compare it to DMC mixed with The Force Unleashed, and said the usual buzzwords (though, I can't remember if they made a comment about the hair).

What was interesting was that half of their pictures were of the white haired model. I've got to wonder now, people use his hair colour as a strawman to deflect criticism of this game, now that there is a white haired one, does this mean that our criticisms are now invalid? OH NO!

The hair was the crux of all our problems! It was the colour that dictated all the sloppy controls, easy AI, the laggy FPS, the lack of a taunt and manual lock-on, and the balancing issues.

Now they've fixed the hair, this game is perfect! Sorry to have ever doubted you NT. :negative:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Marketing is like 90% of how a game sells, this will probably sell better than a DMC game ever has with how hard they're pushing it.

Doesn't help that games never really sold on mechanics as much as presentation and DMC games are largely about their combat system.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Marketing is like 90% of how a game sells, this will probably sell better than a DMC game ever has with how hard they're pushing it.

Doesn't help that games never really sold on mechanics as much as presentation and DMC games are largely about their combat system.

Well, it's also being released with absolutely no competition. January is a dead month this year so it isn't like people will be brimming with choices.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

At this point DmC needs to sell well, they must have spent a fortune marketing this game whereas pretty much all of the previous titles sold on the series reputation. I don't remember the previous games being pushed as hard.

I believe original sales estimate Capcom wanted was 5 million but has now been scaled back to 2 million, although a more realistic figure it's hard to tell how well the game will do when it's out.

For a reference point here's the approx sales figures for a series as a whole:

Devil May Cry: 2.16m
Devil May Cry 2: 1.7m
Devil May Cry 3: 1.3m
Devil May Cry 4: 2.35m

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

charismaslover posted:

At this point DmC needs to sell well, they must have spent a fortune marketing this game whereas pretty much all of the previous titles sold on the series reputation. I don't remember the previous games being pushed as hard.

I believe original sales estimate Capcom wanted was 5 million but has now been scaled back to 2 million, although a more realistic figure it's hard to tell how well the game will do when it's out.

They also must have spent a fair bit on mo-cap. I doubt that their usual MO comes cheap.

Capcom dropped the figure after Resident Evil 6 failed to hit their numbers (they projected 7 million, then dropped it to 6 million. So far it's only managed 4 million), and they did it for a few other projects they were working on at the time, also.

At a rough guess, I'd estimate that it needs to sell at least 1.5 million to break even. Maybe even 2.5 million, if their original projection is anything to go by. It'll be very interesting to see the sales figures of this. Same for the critical reception.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 10, 2012

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
Reading through the DmC article in GameInformer, the reviewer says that Dante's dialogue is more like how it was in 1 and 3. Yeah, I completely remember Dante running around shouting "gently caress fuckity gently caress gently caress gently caress" in the first and third ones.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

They also must have spent a fair bit on mo-cap. I doubt that their usual MO comes cheap.
At a rough guess, I'd estimate that it needs to sell at least 1.5 million to break even. Maybe even 2.5 million.

Heavenly Sword sold 1.4 million copies and Ninja Theory did not make any money from it, from what I've read Sony broke even from publishing it but the devs didn't make anything. This was what encouraged them to go multi-platform for Enslaved which only sold approx 0.5m.

I'd imagine that 2m+ would be the magic number for at least Capcom to regain any costs.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
You know, I've thought of something: NT games (all three of them) did not sell very well, no? Heavenly Sword did not break even, even though it was a launch title and competition-less. Enslaved bombed hard, I hear. So now for the DmC to be a success it must ride the coattails of its predecessors and rely on an established fanbase, yet at the same time they'd want to change very much about the gameplay, story and overall "feel" of the game. And then they turn around and blabber on about how it should be judged on its own merits, but the previous action games from NT were functional and average at best.

I fail to see the logic here :v:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is sanity... the price to pay... for artistic vision?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing to understand is that Capcom's approach to Western developers is not "(x) developer is good,", it is "(x) developer is Western." They seriously are looking for Western developers based off them being Western before anything else.

If I recall Keiji Inafune basically went on record as saying his interest in Western development was largely due to their ability to actually create games but he felt the optimal solution was Japanese oversight/creativity on Western development. He's gone from the company but we're seeing a bit of that here with NT pointing at Capcom's oversight as the 'final stop' for a lot of choices.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I remember the whole "Call of Duty is Western, it sells bajilion copies, so Western DMC will sell bajilion copies too", which is a kind of logic, I guess.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just saw a new trailer and remembered this was a thing, long time DMC fan, just can't get over all the changes. Why reboot something that doesn't need rebooting? :(

Dante in the new one feels like a mix of Dante and Nero, which is just weird. (Nero was practically dante already anyways). He's got a sorta nero devil bringer ability and he's built more like Nero but with Dante's attitude... Hrm.

I thought I'd give it another chance, downloading the demo. Reading impressions of the demo don't sound good though, somebody was pointing out the style system is pretty darn broken and you can easily get up to SSS and then stay there forever if you just turtle up and play safe. That's awful. Combined with the changes to Dante and the overall tone I don't think I'm going to get this one. If the gameplay in the demo is really solid though I'll give it a chance.

Like some of y'all have said, I think I'll get the HD collection just to spite NT. I want to replay DMC3 again anyways and the PC port is a piece of poo poo.

I guess DmC looks like it'll be better than DMC2, at least. :v:

You know, this reminds me, I've been meaning to play Darksiders 2...

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 10, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

You know, this reminds me, I've been meaning to play Darksiders 2...

I did once, and I remember posting in this topic about it. I was wrong.

vvv: Probably one of the best PC ports in existence, really.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 10, 2012

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Is the DMC4 pc port the good one?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

The thing to understand is that Capcom's approach to Western developers is not "(x) developer is good,", it is "(x) developer is Western." They seriously are looking for Western developers based off them being Western before anything else.

If I recall Keiji Inafune basically went on record as saying his interest in Western development was largely due to their ability to actually create games but he felt the optimal solution was Japanese oversight/creativity on Western development. He's gone from the company but we're seeing a bit of that here with NT pointing at Capcom's oversight as the 'final stop' for a lot of choices.

I've said before but having spark interactive make Lost Planet 3 is the best example of this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PonchAxis posted:

Is the DMC4 pc port the good one?

Yes! The DMC4 on PC is actually fantastic, with Dx9/10/11 support, very good graphics and controls and proper settings for resolution and shadow and aliasing and stuffs.

Don't even consider the DMC3 PC port. Its unplayable.

IIRC DMC4 was the first Capcom game to come after the absolutely HORRENDOUS Resident Evil 4 PC port (which didn't include things such as lighting or mouse control. Seriously, worst port of all goddamned time. The cutscenes were pre-rendered, even though on the loving gamecube they run in-engine. Just so lazy.) Up until then, Capcom just outsourced the ports (which is why DMC3 is unplayable) but after RE4 being one of their best games and having the worst port imaginable, they took so much crap they changed their policy to do PC ports only internally, and they got much better.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Gonna repost this for DMC4 PC awesomeness.

Schubalts posted:

It is just Dynasty Warriors-esque hordes of enemies everywhere you go, but without the Dynasty Warriors draw enemy distance.

Look at it in motion with AccountingNightmare. Look at it.
http://polsy.org.uk/play/blip/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fblip.tv%2Faccountingnightmare%2Flet-s-play-devil-may-cry-4-ldk-missions-1-6-5749598

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Oh LDK, let me count the ways :allears:

Zaphod42 posted:

Just saw a new trailer and remembered this was a thing, long time DMC fan, just can't get over all the changes. Why reboot something that doesn't need rebooting? :(

I thought I'd give it another chance, downloading the demo. Reading impressions of the demo don't sound good though, somebody was pointing out the style system is pretty darn broken and you can easily get up to SSS and then stay there forever if you just turtle up and play safe. That's awful. Combined with the changes to Dante and the overall tone I don't think I'm going to get this one. If the gameplay in the demo is really solid though I'll give it a chance.

Play the demo, and let us know what you think. Just make sure you reconfigure the controls to your liking before you start, because the default is awkward, and if you reconfigure in the middle of a level, it won't change until you start a new level.

The demo gameplay would be okayish enough if it wasn't called DMC, and just a bargin bin action game. As a DMC it's rather lacking.
Basically, the ranking system is based on the damage - there is a reduction if you keep spamming the same move over and over, but that doesn't factor as heavily as it does in the regular games, nor does it drop the rank if you don't mix up combat enough. Say you're at an "A" and then spend the rest of the fight on a platform where the enemies can't hit you, not doing anything. The rank won't go down unless you take a hit.
And because it is increased more by the damage rather than the mixing up of combos, it means that the angel weapon is pretty useless for ranking, because the axe can basically make the rank jump up a level because of how stupidly overpowered it is.

And that's without the "exploit" - which is the demon dodge (which boosts the damage you do) trinity smash (attack, pause, attack, pause {demon style} attack), which if it connects, (which it often does due to its large AOE) can make the ranking jump from D to at least an S.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 10, 2012

• Locked thread