Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

I've said before but having spark interactive make Lost Planet 3 is the best example of this.

Yeah. Even Blue Castle Games for Dead Rising 2 is a sign of this even though they did a good job. Prior to that they'd done... some mediocre baseball games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Capcom's mentality is so weird right now. They see themselves as a prestigious AAA developer, so they invest obscene amounts of money into their games. The problem is that Japanese games are (and have always been) too niche in the West to make this sustainable, so they are in a horrible downward spiral. They need to just accept their status in the global market and budget appropriately.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Pesky Splinter posted:

They went on to compare it to DMC mixed with The Force Unleashed

Gah, gently caress, that's not good that loving awful. I liked TFU but no one will ever claim that the combat is super deep in that game. The whole reason why DmC is so aggavating is because it's losing the unique gameplay style of a DMC-style game and turning into another boring God of War clone. There's a reason why DMC and GoW are the two archetypes that defined the action-platformer genres.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes! The DMC4 on PC is actually fantastic, with Dx9/10/11 support, very good graphics and controls and proper settings for resolution and shadow and aliasing and stuffs.

Don't even consider the DMC3 PC port. Its unplayable.

IIRC DMC4 was the first Capcom game to come after the absolutely HORRENDOUS Resident Evil 4 PC port (which didn't include things such as lighting or mouse control. Seriously, worst port of all goddamned time. The cutscenes were pre-rendered, even though on the loving gamecube they run in-engine. Just so lazy.) Up until then, Capcom just outsourced the ports (which is why DMC3 is unplayable) but after RE4 being one of their best games and having the worst port imaginable, they took so much crap they changed their policy to do PC ports only internally, and they got much better.

The PC version of DMC3 has some major problems, but I wouldn't quite call it unplayable. Hell, my first time through I played it entirely on the keyboard.

It'd be nice if Capcom had done a PC version of the HD collection. I've never actually played the first game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah. Even Blue Castle Games for Dead Rising 2 is a sign of this even though they did a good job. Prior to that they'd done... some mediocre baseball games?

I think Inafune as an advisor probably helped that come out as well as it did.

LP3 is just spark and most previews paint as it pretty bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Impressions of the demo so far:

Okay, there's two dodge buttons but no lock-on? Wtf is that noise? Admittedly the game does a decent job of telling which opponent you want to aim at, and there were sections in the previous DMC games where not using lock on was actually the way to go. However, I'm not sure completely getting rid of it was wise. Or maybe I'm just too used to the lock-on already.

Using the triggers for weapons is kinda awkward, but I think if I can get used to it then it could work out. I think I see what they were thinking, that its faster to have access to all weapons simultaneously rather than swapping a "current", but it feels a little weird.

Ugh, the new Virgil really kills me. Why couldn't they just give him a different name? I guess because he's Dante's brother still, but every other part of him is different! The old Virgil was such a perfect foil for Dante...

The whole story thing with the TV and the terrorists is just weird. Just give this game a different name! Why call this DevilMayCry?

Its like when they make a movie out of a game, but then throw away all the story and just make up new people. Why bother? In theory its good marketing, you can use the name to sell an otherwise unknown product, but it seems like this is only going to ruin the brand...

Devil May Cry: The Movie: The Game

Just call it Resident Demons or something :p They even rebooted the name in a way, instead of DMC its DmC, but why not go further? Bleh.

Anyways, The graphics are great and the gameplay isn't that bad, so as you said, if this wasn't called DmC, it wouldn't be too bad. But since it is... Hm.

My biggest complaint right now is probably the result of lack of lock-on, the moves feel weird to perform now that they can't use lock on vs not locked as a move condition. Double tap forward for stinger? I dunno about this.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 10, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]:
Tell me you've seen some of this game's character concept art. It is truly a sight to behold. Hahaha. :unsmigghh:

Their reasoning behind the two dodges is to make it easier to dodge when holding down the angel/demon style. The reality is that their default control scheme is wack and somewhat unintuative, and not thought through very well.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 10, 2012

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes! The DMC4 on PC is actually fantastic, with Dx9/10/11 support, very good graphics and controls and proper settings for resolution and shadow and aliasing and stuffs.

Don't even consider the DMC3 PC port. Its unplayable.

Capcom's MT Framework engine basically allows the game to be developed for the PC, then ported to the PS3 and 360 later. This is why games that use it like DMC4, Resident Evil 5 and Street Fighter IV have such good PC ports.

Why they haven't made a Dragon's Dogma port is probably because they've been spectacularly stupid recently.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm warming up to the new Dante, he's just like pre-DMC3 dante, super angsty teens. I'm very, very glad they backed off the original design (who looked exactly like the lead developer, *cough*).

"gently caress you!" "gently caress you!" "gently caress YOUUUU" is pretty lazy writing though.

DMC3 hit the perfect balance of over the top awesome and cheesy.

Still, I hate the new virgil and the world and everything, changing the cannon but keeping it close enough, its this weird uncanny valley where my brain keeps trying to compare this to the history of DMC that I know, but it isn't. Its too close to be different, but not different enough to stand on its own.

Like devil trigger makes him actually look like dmc3 Dante. That's just straight trolling.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 10, 2012

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Capcom is a Japanese developer/publisher, they don't consider PC gaming viable as it's not too popular over there.
The reason those ports have happened and RE6/DmC are getting one as well was because Capcom USA managed to convince them.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zaphod42 posted:

Still, I hate the new virgil and the world and everything, changing the cannon but keeping it close enough, its this weird uncanny valley where my brain keeps trying to compare this to the history of DMC that I know, but it isn't. Its too close to be different, but not different enough to stand on its own.

That seems to be something of a problem with what they've shown of this game. One the one hand, they're trying to make this game more serious and...um..."relatable" to current modern things, but at the same time they're trying to have him do goofy poo poo and (bad) one liners. And it just results in this uneasy mix of tone.

They should have either done it so it's all serious all the time (which was the initial direction they were going for), or goofy and campy. Not both. I'm not saying either direction would be good or couldn't work, just that they can't have their cake, and eat it too.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 10, 2012

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Welp, ran into a game breaking bug during the boss fight, this doesn't bode well.

Got the boss down to 0 life and he just froze there. I could wail on him forever, build up to SSS, but he just sat there not taking any more damage. Guess the cutscene failed to trigger? lol.

The fight was pretty cool once I got a hang of the angel lift (having the angel and demon power takes a second to make sense of, keep reaching for the wrong buttons). But the boss was kinda frustrating, I kept wanting to angel my way to him so that I could wail on him when he was vulnerable, you know? Except that doing so would just target the other platform instead, so I'd miss the opportunity.

Other times I'd need to do the angel lift to get off the platform, but I would be out of range, so I'd just stand there pressing the button standing in acid.

I want to like this game, but it isn't making it easy.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
That's apparently quite a common bug for that fight. The quickest way to beat the boss is to stand at the end of the platform away from the boss. This means it only does three attacks - a swipe from either hand, vomits acid, or brings up puke stalagmites.

When it tries to swipe you, use the angel weapon's prop shredder to parry it, and then use the demon pull on the boss. Then wail the fucker to death, angel lifting to whatever platform to pull the cord out of its rear end. Rinse and repeat.

It's such a lovely boss, because that also pretty much guarantees a high ranking if you can get the timing down. Infact, it's the best way to get a SSS quickly. :cripes:

[e]: We wanted to fight Sparda dammit! Not the blob! It's a cool idea in concept (same for the part teaming up with Vergil), but in execution it's rather naff. Taking away my styles and DT :argh:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 10, 2012

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Speaking of lovely bosses, Arkham from DMC3 is pretty poo poo to fight.

Here's a big giant blob and some annoying slug/shark things :effort: Hope you have the Kalina Ann equipped!

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

charismaslover posted:

Speaking of lovely bosses, Arkham from DMC3 is pretty poo poo to fight.

Here's a big giant blob and some annoying slug/shark things :effort: Hope you have the Kalina Ann equipped!

The worst part about that fight is that the second half is so much harder because the game disables your stupid style. So while the first half is super easy with Trickster, I have so much more trouble when Vergil shows up to help you.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

ChewyLSB posted:

The worst part about that fight is that the second half is so much harder because the game disables your stupid style. So while the first half is super easy with Trickster, I have so much more trouble when Vergil shows up to help you.

Plug in a second controller and have a friend help! :shepface:

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

They also disable Devil Trigger for some reason, so no extra damage/speed/health regen for you. They should have just left Arkham in Sparda form.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

notZaar posted:

The problem is that Japanese games are (and have always been) too niche in the West to make this sustainable, so they are in a horrible downward spiral.

Japanese games used to be all that people cared about on consoles. For some reason everyone after the release of the Xbox seems to have forgotten what the console market used to be like. A lot of the major Japanese studios are failing to make good games these days, but smaller developers have taken their place like Platinum, Atlus and From Software's Soul team. A lot of effort is focused on handheld games too, a market which is heavily ignored in the media outside of Japan.

It's unfortunate that Japanese developers have bought into what the Western media has said about them and feel the need to outsource games like DmC. Japan can still make fantastic games, you just have to look in different places than you used to.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The Xbox hugely expanded the game market, the 360 even more so. Japanese games didn't get less popular, they just didn't stay proportionally popular in the market because they didn't appeal to new game users. Top shelf games cost more and more every year as expectations rise, and Japanese games can't sustain worldwide sales to keep up with the cost. So Capcom really just needs to accept that fact and stop trying to compete with Call of Duty.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Oh hey that project X zone thing has released a soundtrack. I wonder what the DMC songs are like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QKC9NAw4GM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRaADDv5Nxs

Oh :saddowns:
Well it's to be expected I guess.

[e]: Probably, yeah.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 11, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
It's not awful but Monolith (?) could have put more effort the music. Maybe the size limitation of the cart prevented them from using higher quality samples i dunno.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

Zaphod42 posted:

"gently caress you!" "gently caress you!" "gently caress YOUUUU" is pretty lazy writing though.

I really liked all the dialogue in that whole boss fight. I'm part of the problem or whatever but it was obvious that the boss was meant to be viscerally repulsive and her dialogue sold that. Dante being a little prick worked for me too, the only problem was the americanism of "I'm your prom date," but otherwise he sounded exactly like my little brother 4 years ago and honestly I dig it, it's interesting.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The level design in DMC3 is even duller than I remember. Brown and cramped spaces everywhere, which doesn't help with the horrible camera (the Agni & Rudra boss fight is a good example of this).
Every character in the storyline is a tremendous douchebag too, what's with Lady shooting Dante before she knows he's a demon?

The combat is still very good though despite the manual lock-on targeting the wrong things often. I remember having problems with this often until DMC4 added some alternate lock-on options.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

GUI posted:

The combat is still very good though despite the manual lock-on targeting the wrong things often. I remember having problems with this often until DMC4 added some alternate lock-on options.

You can switch between lock-on targets by clicking in the left stick. Once I found that out it made everything a lot better.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
There's a comic tie-in:

Oh wow, it actually looks like proper loving Vergil

"With DmC being released in a few weeks, Capcom announced that (French comic publisher), Glénat will adapt the game to comic.
The Chronicles of Vergil will be released on January 16, just a day after the video game. His story takes place a few months before DmC, and you will encounter the protagonists of the game, Vergil, Dante and Kat."

source: http://www.xboxfrance.com/news-360-dmc-devil-may-cry-aura-droit-a-sa-bd.html

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

GUI posted:

Every character in the storyline is a tremendous douchebag too, what's with Lady shooting Dante before she knows he's a demon?

But Lady's fiery temper is part of her charm, and she's only half wrong about Dante, anyway.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Does anyone have any tips for using Royal Guard? I can't get the hang of it at all, I was trying to use it against Agni and Rudra since they have big telegraphed attacks but it didn't work out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

charismaslover posted:

Does anyone have any tips for using Royal Guard? I can't get the hang of it at all, I was trying to use it against Agni and Rudra since they have big telegraphed attacks but it didn't work out.

The only real tip I can give is that early is better than late.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

charismaslover posted:

Jump before blocking the attack. I don't know how it works exactly* but I find that I can block more consistently doing that.

*either the air version has more frames that count as a Just block instead of a normal one, or that jumping gives you invincibility frames which then let you get Just frames easier

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I have to say I never really liked the way Royal Guard worked. Getting meter for blocks never seemed to be super fun.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SurrealityCheck posted:

I have to say I never really liked the way Royal Guard worked. Getting meter for blocks never seemed to be super fun.

I think the key to making Royal Guard fun is ignoring the meter and taking advantage of the fact that perfect Blocks ignore all damage and that perfect Releases either stagger or juggle enemies, even with no meter. Like Trickster, except you keep dealing damage in the process and look like a badass doing it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SurrealityCheck posted:

It's not about blocking, it's about parrying. Just Guarding allows you to stay in and be ridiculously aggressive and proper releasing can do hilarious things.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

SurrealityCheck posted:

That is not how it worked. It had two functions. If you want to be defensive? Yeah you can, block is actually pretty good at reducing damage.

If you want to be super aggressive and punish your enemies? Parry.

You can basically one hit a boss with a full parry bar(or Royal Guard as they call it) Hell I think there is a YT video of someone one shooting Beowulf with the Royal Guard release.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
You can also cancel using RG. This is what players like Brea are doing in DMC4, where they constantly swap to RG to cancel into something else. That's how they can constantly attack enemies: RG and enemy step canceling.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I always sucked at using RG so I had to use the jump trick constantly- made it usable for me but I still wish the Release gauge was visible somewhere.

\/\/\/EDIT:\/\/\/

Yeah, now that I think about it I'm pretty sure 4 had a visible gauge. Not sure about 3 though.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 11, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I always sucked at using RG so I had to use the jump trick constantly- made it usable for me but I still wish the Release gauge was visible somewhere.

It's up in the corner, isn't it? It fills up (1/2/3 block depending on level.)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Monkey Fracas posted:

\/\/\/EDIT:\/\/\/

Yeah, now that I think about it I'm pretty sure 4 had a visible gauge. Not sure about 3 though.

It does, it's a semicircular bar next to where it shows what level your current style is. Definitely not a user friendly GUI element.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Yeah I remember about releases etc, I just prefer more reward for blocking haha. Just a pet peeve.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Parrying is ridiculously hard to balance as a game mechanic. It's inherently a high-risk activity and so the rewards have to be similarly high. I honestly can' think of a game that's really balanced it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ImpAtom posted:

Parrying is ridiculously hard to balance as a game mechanic. It's inherently a high-risk activity and so the rewards have to be similarly high. I honestly can' think of a game that's really balanced it well.

When you master Parrying in DMC you have the rest of the game down pat.

• Locked thread