Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I hate those stupid plastic elbows, and the engineer at GM who decided to route coolant through that idler. I have replaced dozens in the process of doing what I presumed was a LIM gasket failure. Luckily I always pop a pressure tester on the radiator and put 10-12psi to check for leaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Hey man, gotta cool the bearings some how!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I know it's cliche to post Powerstroke Help vids, but... :stare:

http://youtu.be/YT25YAxkn5k

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

nmfree posted:

I'm surprised chaining trucks together to see who's is the toughest isn't something you see on tv

Outlet
Jun 28, 2010
And that guys tongue bugs the hell out of me.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That's a hard act to follow but here's the vaccuum gauge shenanigans video I promised earlier.

http://youtu.be/5FWk4IzZFrg

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:staredog:

So why are the intake valves sticking open?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

:staredog:

So why are the intake valves sticking open?

Awesome. Remids me of one of the failed resurrections of the Type 4 in the VW. What was impressive was when I revved it the manifold would pressurize somehow.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Outlet posted:

And that guys tongue bugs the hell out of me.

Do they have tongue reduction surgery?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I had been putting off replacing the steering cylinder in my tractor due to the fact that it's a $350 part ( Deere of course ) The ball joints are integrated on that part and usually fail first, but I rode it till the cylinder itself developed a hydraulic leak that would make a urologist proud.

When it finally popped free, I realized how dumb I was. Luckily none of the bushings were harmed.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

nmfree posted:

770 number listed on the video. I wonder just where this guy is located in north Georgia. Probably Gainesville. :911:

e:
code:
Facility Address & Contact Info
Powerstroke Specialty, LLC.
1046 Parkway Court, Suite D
Buford, GA 30518

(770) 931-4070 
M-F 9am-6pm

Like five minutes from me. This explains a lot about all the hopped up power strokes I see around here.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

SuperDucky posted:

Like five minutes from me. This explains a lot about all the hopped up power strokes I see around here.
The amazing part is that he apparently has a few customers driving 12+ hours one way to have him work on their trucks.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Do they have tongue reduction surgery?
His wife is probably hoping there isn't.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

nmfree posted:

The amazing part is that he apparently has a few customers driving 12+ hours one way to have him work on their trucks.
And here I was thinking it was the beautiful local scenery bringing rednecks and their RVs from out of state.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It was on its way to becoming a mechanical failure, anyway.

Found that digging through old photos, those came out of my Integra. About a month later it started burning crazy amounts of oil (1 quart every 200-300 miles, no major leaks).

:argh: previous owners and :argh: adjustable FPRs set way too lean. Car was stock except for the FPR and a cold air intake. Wish I had pictures of how it looked when the head came off :suicide:

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I guess I should check my tires more often. Happened at 2am going 60mph.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
poo poo, I've had more steel showing than that. Without question, I should've died on those tires.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

nmfree posted:

The whole cab gone bye-bye @ 1:41 :catstare:

Yeah, I think I'll pass on owning a Powerstroke.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Everyday Lurker posted:

The whole cab gone bye-bye @ 1:41 :catstare:

Yeah, I think I'll pass on owning a Powerstroke.

Its only certain ones to pass on. The 7.3 was pretty much one of the best ones they made. Its kinda scary starting to see those years appreciate now.... Kinda like the older 88?-92 Dodges with the original 12 valve Cummins turbo's. They are commanding crazy money, and ones that are in clean shape can easily break the 10k mark.

Luckily, Chevies with Detroits command very little and can be snatched up cheap.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not a horrible failure as such, more of a horribly smelling failure.

The plastic cover on top of the valve covers on my parents' Citroën decided to just fall off and land on the exhaust. 12 years' worth of road dust, oil and various chemicals burning makes quite a smell when combined with melting plastic.

Leave it to the French to attach things to an engine using brittle plastic fasteners.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
At first glance I thought it was an interior door panel. :stare:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

b0nes posted:

I guess I should check my tires more often. Happened at 2am going 60mph.

:respek: Hey highway speed tire disintegration buddy.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Godholio posted:

At first glance I thought it was an interior door panel. :stare:

Me too. I can smell the cancer though the monitor.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Seat Safety Switch posted:

:respek: Hey highway speed tire disintegration buddy.

To be fair, both of those tires look way past when they should have been changed.

Like really far past. They're almost slicks.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!

quote:

This explains a lot about all the hopped up power strokes I see around here.

On the subject of local tuners and shops, I used to live very close to Quigley, a conversion company that makes kick rear end off road full size vans. The only time I ever actually saw them was on flatbeds, being shipped away. I wonder why I never actually saw anybody driving one locally?

There's also a pretty well regarded tuner shop near where I work and the only thing I ever see from that place is the owners GTR.

The Harley plant is just up the road too and the area is infested with those loving things. Every year the street rod nationals comes to town and brings a few thousand hot rods and muscle cars with it. I guess that makes up for it in a way.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Puddin posted:

Like really far past. They're almost slicks.
Yeah, that was the point. I bought the wheels and the tires came with them for free. Then I proceeded to go "You know what tires with no tread depth are great at? Being sticky!" and went autocrossing in a distant town. :v:

On the way home after a successful day of hammering on them, they blew up. I was probably asking for it and I learned a valuable lesson (two, if you count "keep your spare tire filled up").

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

"keep your spare tire filled up").

That deserves the :v:.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, that was the point. I bought the wheels and the tires came with them for free. Then I proceeded to go "You know what tires with no tread depth are great at? Being sticky!" and went autocrossing in a distant town. :v:

On the way home after a successful day of hammering on them, they blew up. I was probably asking for it and I learned a valuable lesson (two, if you count "keep your spare tire filled up").

3 for me. Scissor jacks suck rear end, especially when you don't have the proper parts. My car has a factory one but I couldn't figure how to get it out of the compartment. So I had to use an old crowbar I had in my trunk, on a sloped street It took forever.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

b0nes posted:

3 for me. Scissor jacks suck rear end, especially when you don't have the proper parts. My car has a factory one but I couldn't figure how to get it out of the compartment. So I had to use an old crowbar I had in my trunk, on a sloped street It took forever.
Luckily my buddy was driving in a convoy with me and glanced in his rear view to watch my right front tire turn to dust and my four-way flashers come on. He had a handy trolley jack.

Next summer I'll use these random four year old RT615s that I got with my Miata. They have tread, guys, tread!

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 11, 2012

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
It's times like these I'm glad I bought a tire trailer for $100.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What condition are its tyres in? :haw:

Seriously though, tweels can't come soon enough.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Cakefool posted:

What condition are its tyres in? :haw:

They didn't explode while I was hauling rear end up to Allies v Axis at 90mph Sunday, so they must be okay :D

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
They were probably better than this tyre, which apparently has an erection.

Not my picture.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Looks like the rim is bent as well, someone found a pothole the hard way.

StimpyBoy
Nov 27, 2002
I am the ones who are the balllickers.
Grimey Drawer
Well, for those who don't follow, I rally a 1992 Suzuki Swift GTI. And at Rally of the Tall Pines, we had some sort of driveline failure that ended our rally.

I pulled out the trans this weekend, and midway through I figured out what actually failed. The bloody intermediate shaft splined portion completely sheared off. Great. I really wasn't expecting that, I was expecting a CV joint. I've never seen one of these fail.

It also grinded in the LSD carrier. I'm going to email Gripper and see what they say. I swear I better not need to replace the carrier + that gear. I'm betting I will though. Gah.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

These two hoses, made of only the finest Italian rubber both caused some havoc for a coworker's car.

The longer not quite round one, is a vacuum hose. It used to be round. The result of it not being round was the car would throw a CEL and fail smog.

The short, fat hose was part of the engine cooling system. It decided to split wide open at 100+ mph going thru turn 1 at Laguna Seca. He looked back, saw smoke, pulled over grabbed the extinguisher and was relieved to find it was just steam. As he put it, it's the first time he's ever leapt out onto a hot track, but he sure as hell didn't feel like sitting in what he thought was a burning car.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Aurune posted:

As he put it, it's the first time he's ever leapt out onto a hot track, but he sure as hell didn't feel like sitting in what he thought was a burning car.

Burning car is my one excuse to get out of a car on a hot track. After seeing the aftermath of Charles Espenlaub's epic escape, I realize you may only have a few seconds between "ok" and "serious injury". Otherwise, stay put.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
From the local club.. Subaru 2.5L oil pickup strikes again:

Got it out just in time.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Got it out just in time.

Is there a reason oil pressure gauges aren't seen as mandatory in these cars?
Also, I remember I bought a subaru 5 years ago (holy poo poo) because I thought it would be more reliable than anything else comparable. Ha!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
99 Cherokee in the shop right now, coworker thought it was a starter failure based off their description of the symptoms and how it would just click. Turns out the 4.0 is siezed.

Woops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Got it out just in time.

So what models/years is this a problem on? My wife wants to get a used Impreza hatchback in the semi-near future :ohdear: