Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Also some food for thought on Eren's dad.

The drill sergeant knew him: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/13/31

And when he injected Eren and told him about the basement he mentioned "their memories", whatever that implies.: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/10/64

The tight plot and foreshadowing makes thinking about these things worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
About that flashback concerning Bertholdt and Reiner, it made me wonder if the real story behind them is simply that they were aware of sone kind of titan/human link before Eren himself transformed. That is, they might not have all of the facts, but they may know enough to have more insight into the situation, which could explain the reaction shots they often get.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It's 3 am and I just marathoned through all of the chapters. It's monthly?! :gonk:

I'm really just starting to think that Reiner and Bertholdt are just two regular guys who had the bad luck that Eren, Mikasa, and Arwin did when they were younger. I'm hesitant to use "coincidence" in such a well-plotted story, but I think it works if they're just two guys in the scouting division who can have some insight on Ymir.

Anyway, at this point, I think it's becoming clear that Wall Maria wasn't breached by the Titans, at least not when people thought it was.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Is the hairy titan supposed to be climbing up or down the wall on the first page?

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Not to be pedantic, but the term is actually "dramatic irony". :eng101:

Ah, of course, but it's still cruel and funny at the same time. Speaking of the anime, they might go with the FMA route of making a completely different story than the manga.

One more thing from the chapter Christa is revealed to be some kind of exiled noblewoman from an important house and that Christa isn't even her real name. Can't wait to see how that plot thread play out

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

davidHalestorm posted:

One more thing from the chapter Christa is revealed to be some kind of exiled noblewoman from an important house and that Christa isn't even her real name. Can't wait to see how that plot thread play out
But 2 or 3 chapters ago, the religious guy told the three main characters, Hanji, and Rivaille who they could ask for more information, and Mikasa, Eren, and Arwin seemed to recognize who he was talking about (since they described her to Hanji later as "Ymir's friend"), even though we, the readers, didn't hear the name. And since Christa seems to know Ymir's secret now, Christa probably took her old name back at some point, to keep their promise.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

davidHalestorm posted:

Ah, of course, but it's still cruel and funny at the same time. Speaking of the anime, they might go with the FMA route of making a completely different story than the manga.

Ymir told Christa to take back her real name in the flashback.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
but Ymir called her Christa and then asked her to not be ashamed of her real identity in exchange for Ymir revealing her Titan nature. The flashback cut off before we see Christa replied That's why I thought that Christa is not her real name . This manga keeps flashing to the boot camp and the present time so forgive me, if I got confused.

EDIT

VVV

Dude needs his rest. He's been trolling humanity for the last two chapters now. :haw:

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 10, 2012

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Superstring posted:

Is the hairy titan supposed to be climbing up or down the wall on the first page?

Down. He surveyed the destruction and was satisfied in the last chapter. In this chapter, the second panel shows his hand breaking into the stone with handholds further up above him in the first panel, implying he's breaking into the stone as he descends, not using hand-holds that were already present.

I realize that's a lot of words to say "he's climbing down", but I couldn't tell either when I first looked and it took some effort to figure it out. I figured he would stay to watch this until the bitter end, but it's important that he's descending and not ascending because this means he is NOT witnessing what is going on with Ymir. He may very well climb up the wall next chapter to find all of his titans dead, and not know why.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Eiba posted:

Crazy theory for the sake of a crazy theory: Ymir is actually a Titan who transformed into a human, rather than the other way around. Ymir is a common Titan name.

Also, I don't really like this theory(just on a personal level, I wouldn't like the story to go this way) but it does make sense. One thing that has been bugging me is that the priest never revealed the secret that the clergy knows. Maybe that secret is that all of humanity are titans, they're just "evolved" titans and don't really know it yet as they're generations removed from titans who did know it. He's worried that if people knew, they would give in to their monstrous side. The wall was made by humans who knew the truth, willing to sacrifice themselves to keep the truth outside.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

Vincent Valentine posted:

this means he is NOT witnessing what is going on with Ymir. He may very well climb up the wall next chapter to find all of his titans dead, and not know why.

Most likely because they don't want to have a showdown between a human-titan and a Sasquatch-titan just yet.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I abolutely love Ymir loving destroying Christa. Actually I just love her character from top to bottom. If every shounen manga had Ymir in it ruining people's bullshit they'd all be the better for it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nilbop posted:

I abolutely love Ymir loving destroying Christa. Actually I just love her character from top to bottom. If every shounen manga had Ymir in it ruining people's bullshit they'd all be the better for it.

Just wait for the anime- Moe Ymir is coming!

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

Most likely because they don't want to have a showdown between a human-titan and a Sasquatch-titan just yet.

If the front cover art is anything to go by, then it would be Eren fighting the Sasquatch-titan. He's undoubtedly going to lose horribly as usual and maybe even get someone killed in the process. Probably Ymir.

You've gotta love how the protagonist in the series really isn't all too competent.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Eren's quite competent. Aside from losing 1 on 1 to Annie who's apparently a super expert fighter and a trained Titan anyhow, he's made the right calls(only to rescind them for the eventual failure of the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP) and successfully plugged up that hole, while being prodigious at using 3d gear and junk.

He just looks kind of incompetent when the only people who are alive and still involved directly with him are Mikasa and Rivalle, literally the #1 and #2 most competent people in the world at zippin around.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Yeah, Eren is actually a pretty smart and strong character. But he's not in a manga where being smart and strong gets you everywhere, he's in a manga where luck is just as, if not more important. And drat does Eren get get poo poo on by luck.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yea, Eren is one of the top (I think it was only Annie and Mikasa above him) trainees when it comes to actual hand-to-hand fighting. He's the Vegeta to their Goku.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
Ymir speculation

Could it be that her "previous life" that drives her to a "second chance" isn't just one of being used as a titan, but maybe she was part of the wall, or chosen to become part of it? Seems to make sense if she's the one that the church guy was referring to if Eren and co wanted answers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Recursive Expanse posted:

Ymir speculation

Could it be that her "previous life" that drives her to a "second chance" isn't just one of being used as a titan, but maybe she was part of the wall, or chosen to become part of it? Seems to make sense if she's the one that the church guy was referring to if Eren and co wanted answers.

She isn't. He was talking about Christa.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I'm still surprised Ymir is a woman.

This series has some really amazing female characters.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I just shotgunned through this series in one night. It's fantastic. I've been running through so many of the cliche story lines and I love that they don't fit.

I keep looking at the Titan faces and looking to see if they're past characters that have died. They seem to be making a drifting implication that the titans can be made from human bodies.

Also anyone with pale eyes is now under immediate suspicion of being a Titan in disguise.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Thoren posted:

I'm still surprised Ymir is a woman.

This series has some really amazing female characters.

Even more amazingly she isn't desperate to jump someone's pants and she doesn't seem to have some huge disfigurement identifying her as off-limits for the main characters.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Captain Capacitor posted:

Also anyone with pale eyes is now under immediate suspicion of being a Titan in disguise.
This is what I initially thought but there are plenty of people with really light eyes and aren't titans, or it would be very silly if they were. Remember that this is mostly European descendants so light color eyes are common. The eyes are important though I think, since people kinda retain how the eyes look in titan form. Which is why I think the author is purposely hiding Ymirs eyes right now.

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

Just re-read the entire series today. God drat it's so good.

Some further Ymir speculation from a little hint dropped here http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/38/31:

I think it's entirely possible that Ymir was transformed from a human to a titan before the walls were even erected, and recently was able to revert to a human to start life a second time. The can of herring being printed in a language that Ymir understands but Ryner doesn't implies that both the can and Ymir are from some foreign place.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Heard about the series from a bro, binged horribly.

I subscribed for the next update :(

This poo poo is fantastic, and I can't wait for the anime to start up in the fall.

I am of the opinion that the group of titans that appeared were pulled from that guy's village. imo the reason why there's no blood but everything is destroyed is because all the humans were just doing their daily poo poo and then metamorphed. As to why? Haha gently caress if I know, but that's what I suspect happened to the village. The titan sitting in the house just idling there was probably a failed transformation. Since it is implied to be his mom, maybe she had health problems or some poo poo that made it fail or at least not make the trans complete.

Also I was not expecting the monkey titan who can talk, no loving clue what's going to happen next with him.

e;
Oh yeah also What's with the titans in the wall? That makes me worried about the real antagonist of the world is then. Combine that with the fact that humans can transform into Titans and the only reasonable conclusion I can come to as to why the wall exists is because at some point, a bunch of humans who could transform sacrificed themselves and created the wall naturally from their hardened skin excretion stuff. Which means that the human Titan entity (read: Eren) was a human invention and tool, but the other titans aren't, I guess? I dunno, the author's done a good job of not giving out that kind of information too quickly.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 11, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, you'll have to get used to monthly updates (which is still way better than Berserk's schedule). On the plus side, the anime starts in the spring, not the fall!

And yeah, Bigfoot is probably the most interesting mystery at the moment, for me at least.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Something to consider is that the three walls are all long. A 50 meter tall titan would presumably be 25 meters wide. That's 40 titans for each kilometer of wall, and as long as walls are, that would add up fast.

I don't remember if we're ever given a length for the walls, but Wall Sina envelopes a mountain, and is the least of the walls. All together there must be hundreds of thousands of kilometers, which would be four million 50 meter tall titans at the very least.

If they want to protect humanity, they'd be much more effective actively attacking enemy titans than they would by walling themselves in.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Something to consider is that the three walls are all long. A 50 meter tall titan would presumably be 25 meters wide. That's 40 titans for each kilometer of wall, and as long as walls are, that would add up fast.

I don't remember if we're ever given a length for the walls, but Wall Sina envelopes a mountain, and is the least of the walls. All together there must be hundreds of thousands of kilometers, which would be four million 50 meter tall titans at the very least.

If they want to protect humanity, they'd be much more effective actively attacking enemy titans than they would by walling themselves in.

Given how the story thus far, they probably weren't volunteers.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

Schwarzwald posted:

Groundless speculation: The walls aren't meant to keep the titans out. The walls are meant to keep the humans in.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

j4on posted:

Groundless speculation: The walls aren't meant to keep the titans out. The walls are meant to keep the humans in.

The humans sort of have gates and ladders. The scouting legion used to leave all the time, until the outer wall came down.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Serious Frolicking posted:

The humans sort of have gates and ladders. The scouting legion used to leave all the time, until the outer wall came down.

The writer could be up to something similiar to the Matrix, where Zion acted as a form of control for people who saught freedom so the whole system didn't crash. It could be the conspirators inside the wall didn't/don't expect the scouting legion to accomplish anything of importance.

final2percent posted:

Some further Ymir speculation from a little hint dropped here http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/38/31:

I think it's entirely possible that Ymir was transformed from a human to a titan before the walls were even erected, and recently was able to revert to a human to start life a second time. The can of herring being printed in a language that Ymir understands but Ryner doesn't implies that both the can and Ymir are from some foreign place.

I think you are on to something because of what Ymir said in the most recent chapter: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/145464/shingeki-no-kyojin_v10_ch40_by_tdx/39

I died for the happiness of a great many people

Simstim fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 11, 2012

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Simstim posted:

The writer could be up to something similiar to the Matrix, where Zion acted as a form of control for people who saught freedom so the whole system didn't crash. It could be the conspirators inside the wall didn't/don't expect the scouting legion to accomplish anything of importance.

That is pretty clear, yeah. It is why Eren's plan to join the scouting legion in the first chapter shocked people so much. My point was that it isn't the walls keeping humans from leaving; it is the titans. People could leave the walls at any time if they didn't mind getting eaten.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

final2percent posted:

I wouldn't say it's a matter of distance, it's a matter of time. That tower and the supplies weren't exactly going anywhere.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Goddamn.

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011
Do the scanlations really need -san and sempai in them?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

As demonstrated by Annie, though, a titan can extend their 'skin' quite a long way past their bodies, so that may throw off the figures quite a bit.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!
I'm intensely curious as to what the secret that the priest considers more important than the survival of humanity is. I could definitely see the wall and the titans being a Matrix-style means to allow humanity to exist without devastating the world through overpopulation and war. If so, the whole scheme has started to come apart at the seams.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

As demonstrated by Annie, though, a titan can extend their 'skin' quite a long way past their bodies, so that may throw off the figures quite a bit.

Yeah, imagine if a Titan could extend their hardening a couple hundred meters in either direction but purely exhausted themselves to do so (and thus made the being sealed into a wall thing more convenient) and it seems a lot less silly. We only got the specific spot of his face due to dramatic convenience.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Now that I've spent the entire day reading through this from the beginning after hearing about it just this morning, somehow I need to completely forget it exists so I can come back in a year or two when it's finally finished.

I love this series, it's like a mixture of a Junji Ito body-horror apocalypse extravaganza and a standard shounen, while also being a deconstruction of the latter because everyone who tries to do epic shounen stuff gets royally hosed in one way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Niccy Bones posted:

Do the scanlations really need -san and sempai in them?

How else would you know it was Japanese?