Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Grr, I did an NCR run last time and now I want either an House or Independent ending, and drat is it tough deciding which is the better option. In the meantime I'm completing the DLCs, exploring, and doing all the side-quests (massacring Caesar with Boon in tow was great) since I keep putting off my choice. I'm driven towards letting Vegas get along without a 200+ year old dictator who may or may not sacrifice individual happiness in the face of realizing his grand vision for the city's prosperity. On the other hand, House has the means to mobilize and lead the city towards some sort of economic and technological growth in an organized manner, which to me seems more practical given the circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
House and a good courier is the best ending in my book. The House always wins, after all, so might as well get in on all the perks and benefits for your guy. :clint:

Ideally though, you should do all the factions at least once.

I don't know what's creepier, House's earlier, unused face (he looks like a zombie Christopher Walken - those teeth :stonk:), or Yes Man's constantly cheery voice. He creeps me out - I didn't like my Yes Man run that much really, though he's got some funny dialogue, and it's a pretty clever way to make sure you can't break the endgame - but he's really, really, creepy.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
In the Lonesome road DLC, is there any way to make Ulysses acknowledge that you're pursuing the goal of an independent Vegas? Even after I piss off the NCR and the Legion, and murder House, he goes on like I'm furthering the guy's grand plan.

Dude! I brought a 9 iron to that guy's face, stop acting like I'm his puppet.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Omnides posted:

In the Lonesome road DLC, is there any way to make Ulysses acknowledge that you're pursuing the goal of an independent Vegas? Even after I piss off the NCR and the Legion, and murder House, he goes on like I'm furthering the guy's grand plan.

I think you have to have negative rep with the three other factions (NCR, Legion, Strip). This is pretty difficult since getting negative Strip rep entails you assisting terrorism, cannibalism or just shooting people in the street, and unlike the other two there is no reset.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Dammit

Oh well, so what's the gist of what he tells you if he uses independant dialogue? Does he approve( probably not?) or does he goes on about how the mojave is generally a shithole and deserves to die?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I don't remember what he says specifically but I'm fairly certain he still bitches at you about your lack of choice.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Omnides posted:

Use this mod if you have the PC version

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Cool, thanks a lot.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
That's the really clever thing about Lonesome Road and Ulysses: the road represents your story path, with it ending in Ulysses asking you why you made those choices and having you own up to them.

Obsidian's writers are really drat good at theming.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

I'm reasonably sure that Ropekid and some others said that the plans to show stuff east of the river and further into Legion territory in the game were cut pretty early in development.

I'm pretty sure the explanation was that not that many people would side with the 'evil' faction. So it made more sense to have more neutral and good guy content than use those resources to make a bunch of Legion content that most players would never see.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Finally got around to arming Helios One in Veronicas quest. I've not actually fired it before this run and all I can say is 'I want one of those!'.

Now if you'll excuse me I think I have a date with a doghead dude in Nipton. A very short date.

Incidentally I'm doing my second low INT run, didn't realise they put the special idiot language option in for the tramp outside Mick and Ralph's. Got a laugh out of me anyway.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

darkwasthenight posted:

Finally got around to arming Helios One in Veronicas quest. I've not actually fired it before this run and all I can say is 'I want one of those!'.

Now if you'll excuse me I think I have a date with a doghead dude in Nipton. A very short date.

Incidentally I'm doing my second low INT run, didn't realise they put the special idiot language option in for the tramp outside Mick and Ralph's. Got a laugh out of me anyway.

Fair warning: people will go hostile the second it starts targeting, not when the beam actually fires. I tried to just walk into Caesar's tent and blow him and Vulpes to bits and was immediately attacked when the little laser honing countdown started :(

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Wolfsheim posted:

Fair warning: people will go hostile the second it starts targeting, not when the beam actually fires. I tried to just walk into Caesar's tent and blow him and Vulpes to bits and was immediately attacked when the little laser honing countdown started :(

This isn't nearly as big a problem with Vulpes' Nipton crew though, even a low-level Courier can take them down, especially if you got the armor-piercing 5.56 rounds from the Mojave Outpost ant sidequest. I can see a lag time being troublesome in the Fort though.

Speaking of which, the Legionaires who appear for the one-off Nipton encounter will walk off eastward if you don't start a fight. And keep walking eastward. Usually upon my first trip to the Camp Searchlight area I see a scuffle between First Sergeant Astor's men and some Legion soldiers; I think they're the same guys. The NCR troopers usually win, poetic justice. :v:

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Random question about order of events, what happens if you meet up with Benny way after he has any sort of significance? I remember reading that you never need the Platinum chip if you follow the NCR route, so what happens with him if you talk to him right before Hoover Dam?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If you talk to Benny right before Hoover Dam everything will happen pretty much as normal, though I'd guess his dialogue is a little different if House is dead. Also if you talk to Yes Man right after you could probably turn in all the Wild Card quests at once.

Edit: that's a bit of a missed opportunity, thinking about it. The NCR path could have had Benny trying to get into the Lucky 38 after House's death, getting captured by securitrons or something, since House is the main obstacle to him taking over Vegas. Though I actually like that it's entirely possible to complete the game without ever reclaiming the package you lost or catching up with the man who shot you.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 10, 2012

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

This isn't nearly as big a problem with Vulpes' Nipton crew though, even a low-level Courier can take them down, especially if you got the armor-piercing 5.56 rounds from the Mojave Outpost ant sidequest. I can see a lag time being troublesome in the Fort though.

Speaking of which, the Legionaires who appear for the one-off Nipton encounter will walk off eastward if you don't start a fight. And keep walking eastward. Usually upon my first trip to the Camp Searchlight area I see a scuffle between First Sergeant Astor's men and some Legion soldiers; I think they're the same guys. The NCR troopers usually win, poetic justice. :v:

I usually use the flamer I pick up from clearing out the Bison Steve to kill them all. :flame: seems like pretty poetic justice to me.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Oh my gosh they cut radioactive tumbleweed enemies? Rope kid what is wrong with you??
They wound up causing some terrible problems (though they weren't "really" enemies). I think the issue was that they were all marked as persistent references so they didn't cause some odd loading problems whilst they rolled around the wasteland, but that caused additional bugs. They wound up in some odd places, too.

Apparently radioactive tumbleweeds are a real-life problem, too. They will absorb a surprisingly large amount of radiation and then just roll all over the place.

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/apr/15/local/me-51273

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Wolfsheim posted:

I got the bandits outside Nipton from a distance without them going hostile, but there's some weird spawning setup involved there so might be something to do with that. I'm not planning to get close enough to talk to him anyway, just stealth nuke him from the big pile of burning tires. Might take a Fat Man and reload the save just to get a second go in, that guy is so much fun to gently caress with.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

Don't know where else to ask this; is there any speculation on when FO4 will be announced? Is Skyrim's success likely to postpone an announcement for the sake of keeping focus on a $$$ property or do these things usually run according to a set plan? Please enlighten me, I'm jonesing for some more FO action!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Oh god its happening! I'm can't seem to play Fallout New Vegas, after five mins of playing I just get bored :cry:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Oh god its happening! I'm can't seem to play Fallout New Vegas, after five mins of playing I just get bored :cry:

Take a break for 6 months / a year. You'll forget a bunch of poo poo and it'll be fun again.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

miscellaneous14 posted:

That's the really clever thing about Lonesome Road and Ulysses: the road represents your story path, with it ending in Ulysses asking you why you made those choices and having you own up to them.

Obsidian's writers are really drat good at theming.
Yeah, it'd have worked so much better if their check for which path I'd followed wasn't quite so...odd, especially since trying to get a good ending for Yes Man often entails helping out the NCR or, to a lesser extent, House quite a bit. At the very least, helping them out doesn't hurt your Yes Man run and does give you lots of experience and gear.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Haeleus posted:

Grr, I did an NCR run last time and now I want either an House or Independent ending, and drat is it tough deciding which is the better option. In the meantime I'm completing the DLCs, exploring, and doing all the side-quests (massacring Caesar with Boon in tow was great) since I keep putting off my choice. I'm driven towards letting Vegas get along without a 200+ year old dictator who may or may not sacrifice individual happiness in the face of realizing his grand vision for the city's prosperity. On the other hand, House has the means to mobilize and lead the city towards some sort of economic and technological growth in an organized manner, which to me seems more practical given the circumstances.

Just give your character INT 10, obviously you'll do a better job. But honestly the Independent ending seems to be less about taking over yourself and more about letting the Mojave do its own thing.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

rope kid posted:

They wound up causing some terrible problems (though they weren't "really" enemies). I think the issue was that they were all marked as persistent references so they didn't cause some odd loading problems whilst they rolled around the wasteland, but that caused additional bugs. They wound up in some odd places, too.

Apparently radioactive tumbleweeds are a real-life problem, too. They will absorb a surprisingly large amount of radiation and then just roll all over the place.

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/apr/15/local/me-51273

Yeah I can totally see showing up to Primm one day and see everyone dead while the town is more radioactive then Black Mountain.

Actually, wait can NPCs get radiation poisoning? Thinking back I usually had Boone with me for the Camp Searchlight missions and he seemed to take it like a boss.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

The only thing that would make Vault 34 more nightmarish than it already is would be if you had to keep slipping your companions Rad-Away to keep them from dropping dead. Saw your recent video not too long ago, Rope Kid. Nice to know you made Vault 34 hellish on purpose. :psypop:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Playing with the jsawyer mod, I only barely scraped out of Vault 34 with something like 980 RAD by running like hell and using all my RadAway after hitting the armory and using up like six or nine doses of Turbo. Off to detox!

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I was really glad that I had kept a stock of radaway and rad-x "just in case" when I arrived to vault 34. I think I went in with 20+ of both and left with <5. Was also using the JSawyer mod.

I'm sort of glad I never got past getting to the strip and meeting Yes Man when this launched because going through it again with all of the DLC + JSawyer and a few other mods has been outstanding.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

achillesforever6 posted:

Try and play fallout 3 for an hour or so. Once you've wiped the blood out of your eyes and looked at New Vegas again you'll go 'yeah, I want to play a good Fallout game now.'

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Fallout: New Vegas is one of those games that you tend to play the hell out of once you get into it, so after the three playthroughs in a row during your first few months of owning the game you'll be completely burned out. I tried dipping into it recently, and while it was enjoyable there was just nothing left to do on my existing characters.

On the other hand, I'd forgotten many item locations and "puzzle" solutions, so it felt fresh... looks like it might be nearly time for a New Character.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've done one vanilla playthrough, one playthrough with the DLC and one playthrough where I know everything pretty much and can do everything that I finally know for sure I'm allowed to(like keeping Dean sweet in Dead Money only to burn him to ashes with the holorifle after his revelation. It is SO nice to know I don't have to let that rear end in a top hat live). I THINK I'm ready now to put the game down for a good long time, but I thought that after the second playthrough too and a month or so later I was back in the saddle. Might be the best game I've ever played. It'll certainly make it hard to go back to Skyrim for the Dragonborn DLC.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

2house2fly posted:

I've done one vanilla playthrough, one playthrough with the DLC and one playthrough where I know everything pretty much and can do everything that I finally know for sure I'm allowed to(like keeping Dean sweet in Dead Money only to burn him to ashes with the holorifle after his revelation. It is SO nice to know I don't have to let that rear end in a top hat live). I THINK I'm ready now to put the game down for a good long time, but I thought that after the second playthrough too and a month or so later I was back in the saddle. Might be the best game I've ever played. It'll certainly make it hard to go back to Skyrim for the Dragonborn DLC.
Dean is awesome and I let him live every playthrough :colbert:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Dean is awesome and I let him live every playthrough :colbert:
Then you have never stormed Hoover Dam wearing his tuxedo, which is the only true way to storm Hoover Dam.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
New Vegas, at least for me, sits in a triumvirate with two other games (Deus Ex and Morrowind) that I come back to at least once every a year. It's the kind of game I get obsessed with each time I play and end up burnt out on after a month or two until the cycle resets itself.

I guess that sounds like kind of bland praise, but it's actually saying a lot. I don't mean to sound like some old turd who says they don't make games like they used to, because they still do, but most games these days are like movies: you'll watch them once, maybe twice, and put them in your collection where they'll gather dust. It's the really great ones that you go back to year after year. And while I think a lot of modern games deserve their success (FarCry 3, Dishonored, Skyrim) very few end up remembered. New Vegas is one that will be.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

2house2fly posted:

Might be the best game I've ever played. It'll certainly make it hard to go back to Skyrim for the Dragonborn DLC.

If you loved Morrowind there's a lot to appreciate in Dragonborn.

rope kid posted:

They wound up causing some terrible problems (though they weren't "really" enemies).

The other night I caught an episode of The Twilight Zone called "The Old Man in the Cave," about a mysterious unseen figure who helped a bunch of nuclear apocalypse survivors. I feel like Fallout writers must mainline TZ episodes for inspiration. Confirm/Deny?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Saint Sputnik posted:

The other night I caught an episode of The Twilight Zone called "The Old Man in the Cave," about a mysterious unseen figure who helped a bunch of nuclear apocalypse survivors. I feel like Fallout writers must mainline TZ episodes for inspiration. Confirm/Deny?

I've seen that episode before. I agree it's very "Fallouty".

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Saint Sputnik posted:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Randall_Clark#Behind_the_scenes

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I've never seen (or heard of, before seeing that footnote on the Wikia) that episode.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 11, 2012

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Weird, I guess someone on the wiki was making assumptions.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

rope kid posted:

I've never seen (or heard of, before seeing that footnote on the Wikia) that episode.

If you'll declare my voluminous Livejournal fanfic canon it turns out the Survivalist was Fisto the robot all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Who came up with fisto; Who is the low life who removed the noise when fisto fists.