Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DatonKallandor posted:

You can also grab some Plagues from the Biology tree and Bio-War the planet to death - that way you get to keep the infrastructure and reuse it when you colonise again.

Is there any sort of morale or diplomacy hit for that? Most games with those options penalize you heavily for that stuff. Granted, most games also penalize you heavily for annihilating an entire planetary population in a brilliant conflagration of nuclear fire, meteors, and beam weaponry.

Is there a way to capture a planet with its population relatively intact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Dirk the Average posted:

Is there any sort of morale or diplomacy hit for that? Most games with those options penalize you heavily for that stuff. Granted, most games also penalize you heavily for annihilating an entire planetary population in a brilliant conflagration of nuclear fire, meteors, and beam weaponry.

Is there a way to capture a planet with its population relatively intact?

Assimilation plague!

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Assimilation plague!

If you go down this road, remember to nuke the planet really loving well with the plague to get it mostly intact, or otherwise you won't convert enough people and it'll just be a massive civil war that won't net you the planet itself. Atleast that's how it worked in SotS1, the more missiles you get into the atmosphere the stronger the plague.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Is there a trick I'm missing with torpedos? My human ships utterly slaughter my foes when they deign to fire them, but they won't shoot until I've spent a while randomly jiggling the AI approach/facing/priority weapons settings and there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency to what combination works.

AlanFrost
Nov 16, 2012
Tracking torps, or direct fire?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Tracking, fusion specifically.

AlanFrost
Nov 16, 2012
Regular fusion, not Detonating?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Talkie Toaster posted:

Is there a trick I'm missing with torpedos? My human ships utterly slaughter my foes when they deign to fire them, but they won't shoot until I've spent a while randomly jiggling the AI approach/facing/priority weapons settings and there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency to what combination works.

The fire rate is incredibly slow, and if you're using tracking energy torpedos it's possible they're getting shot down near instantly in a brawl - they have very little health straight out of the barrel, and build damage and health as they travel.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

AlanFrost posted:

Regular fusion, not Detonating?
Grande tracking regular fusion non-detonating with soymilk.

DatonKallandor posted:

The fire rate is incredibly slow, and if you're using tracking energy torpedos it's possible they're getting shot down near instantly in a brawl - they have very little health straight out of the barrel, and build damage and health as they travel.
That's the odd thing- I have more luck getting them to fire *in* brawls. On the runup, my ships just sit there. When they get into melee and I mess with the stance, at some point they *do* fire and the torps end up curving around in huge arcs.

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 11, 2012

AlanFrost
Nov 16, 2012
Are you setting your ships to top (1.5x) speed? That pulls all the weapons offline for full power to the engines.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I've never had any issue with Torpedoes firing so I'm not sure what's going on there. Fusion Torps especially have a massive firing arc (wheras Photon torps basically require you to be staring straight at at the person you want to shoot).

^^^

AlanFrost posted:

Are you setting your ships to top (1.5x) speed? That pulls all the weapons offline for full power to the engines.

This sounds like a good place to start.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

AlanFrost posted:

I didn't realise that- I thought it just cut the sensor range. Problem probably solved.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
so I am giving this game another go after shelfing it for a year. I jump into the chat channel in game to ask some questions and find that its nothing but neckbeards argueing about the political scene in europe and how america is loving over the world. Needless to say I didn't get any answers

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Talkie Toaster posted:

I didn't realise that- I thought it just cut the sensor range. Problem probably solved.

Something to keep in mind about that - what it does is set all your weapons to no power, which means fast fire rate weapons come online very quickly. Especially Point defense is practically instantly back to firing when you drop down to normal speed.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
Does anyone else get long pauses in between turns?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Now the game crashes whenever i try and autoresolve a pirate fight :T

-EDIT-

Actually any appearance of pirates at all results in a crash when i try and fight them. Goddamnit Kerberos.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 12, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Police Cutter Supremacy!!!

Dammit they really are loving up aren't they? They tried to do the CD Projekt RED thing of offering an Enhanced Edition with free content to pull in customers after a well-publicized rocky launch. The thing is, you need the game to work correctly for all those players you pull in. Otherwise they have the same lovely experience or you just get hit with worse word of mouth and the franchise suffers.

Who am I kidding, they're desperate for money and beyond caring about the franchise right now.

Serious question: was there EVER a good time to come back to this game? Or has it been an unbroken series of bad times since the launch to now?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Arglebargle III posted:

Police Cutter Supremacy!!!

Loa don't get Cutters :T

Arglebargle III posted:

Serious question: was there EVER a good time to come back to this game? Or has it been an unbroken series of bad times since the launch to now?

The game was both playable and sometimes even fun right before End of Flesh broke everything again.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bwahaha, I decided to give it a try and it crashed on the main screen.

I went back and I can confirm that pirates hang the game now.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 12, 2012

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

NiknudStunod posted:

so I am giving this game another go after shelfing it for a year. I jump into the chat channel in game to ask some questions and find that its nothing but neckbeards argueing about the political scene in europe and how america is loving over the world. Needless to say I didn't get any answers

Join #sots2 on synirc. It's not super busy but Keisari and Mistervec have been incredibly helpful when I've had questions. I'm usually in there off and on during the day and can try to return the favor by helping another hapless noob!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't have this problem. Pirates seem to be perfectly fine and as annoying as ever.

At this point the main issue for me is the horrible memory leak which necessitates a restart every 10-30 turns.

EDIT: Apparently not. Just got the pirate indefinite hang/crash. They will probably release yet another hotfix to fix the hotfix that fixed the hotfix.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 12, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm getting mad missile kited by some Hivers. Is there any way around this or do I basically have to have a tech advantage to engage missile ships?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Battle Riders and PD my friend. Set your PD to either fire in Spread Fire or Ripple Fire to help take own missiles.

Arglebargle III posted:

Goddamnit same for me. I usually manage to avoid a lot of these crash bugs for whatever strange reason but now every other load crashes on the mains screen.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
Crashed before I even finished turn 1. Picked some research, went back to the map... crashed.

Edit: And now it won't even start up without crashing. gently caress it.

Finagle fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 12, 2012

AlanFrost
Nov 16, 2012
Deflector shields or Point Defense or Battleriders should work well against missile-kiting Hivers.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

AlanFrost posted:

Deflector shields or Point Defense or Battleriders should work well against missile-kiting Hivers.

Also cloaking. Cloaking works great.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Interceptor missiles seem to be the best PD right now. They fire like mad and track everything including the stuff they shouldn't (other missiles)

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm getting mad missile kited by some Hivers. Is there any way around this or do I basically have to have a tech advantage to engage missile ships?

Something to keep in mind about missile kiting is that while they stop you from killing them effectively, they also are completely useless at doing anything themselves, or stopping you from achieving your objective. Also, there's so many forms of PD in SotS 2, the odds of you not getting any at all are very small.

Deflector Shields will provide 100% immunity to kinetics and missiles in a frontal half-sphere.

Laser Point Defense and Phalanx Point Defense, Phalanx is linked from Very Rapid Fire Tech in the ballistic tree will be good all-round (Phalanx being better at killing bigger targets.

Phaser Point Defense is anti-matter tech, but will provide decent protection, especially against bigger targets.

Interceptor Missiles (in the Warhead tree after micro-fusion drives) have great range, are pretty much 100% accurate but deal almost no damage and fire extremely slowly(so they're really only good against regular missiles). They scale with numbers far better than any other point defense however, so if you put out a lot of them they can protect you from anything.

Molecular Chaff and Quantum Chaff in the C3 tree will also help against missiles (and can be set to smart-auto-use in the options)

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Taerkar posted:

Anyone else notice that you occasionally find systems now with all planets having the same hazard and rather crazy (10k+) biosphere?

Yup. Was that system originally protected by a bunch of amoeba-looking 'Protean pods?' That system has been 'colonized' by the proteans, all the planets are at their ideal hazard rating. They are apparently a minor species of goop stuff that has no infrastructure, language, diplomacy, or FTL, and they show up as biosphere. If you get some biosphere preservation techs before colonizing it, and keep your civ population low, you can turn them into a big generator of psi stuff for the rest of your fleet.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Neruz posted:

Yes they do; any discussion of SotS2 lore and lategame is still considered spoilers in the Kerberos forums and the wiki remains woefully underinformed. In addition what little information there is on the Wiki is poorly formatted to say the least and outright incorrect in at least one instance.

I'm surprised someone hasn't started their own wiki with complete info on it, and told the SoTS forum idiots to get hosed when they whine about it.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

-Troika- posted:

I'm surprised someone hasn't started their own wiki with complete info on it, and told the SoTS forum idiots to get hosed when they whine about it.

To be fair it's not like the game is in a good enough state to really justify the effort of a proper wiki. That's why I'm trying to collect a proto-wiki on the second post. I added some posts there again. Let's try to accumulate information about the game together, and if we gain enough knowledge about the game and the game actually becomes really, really good I think we could very well consider archiving that information somewhere. Even if only to include stuff that Kerberos consider spoilers and ban for.

For now I hope that just simply "stickying" information in the second and third posts will work as first-aid to alleviate all the information black holes that Kerberos deliberately keep up.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Keisari posted:

To be fair it's not like the game is in a good enough state to really justify the effort of a proper wiki.

The 'official' one is here: http://sots2.rorschach.net/SotS2_Codex, but it's fairly light and has informed me that leaders of the future love to sound like twelth century islamic poets.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Hav posted:

The 'official' one is here: http://sots2.rorschach.net/SotS2_Codex, but it's fairly light and has informed me that leaders of the future love to sound like twelth century islamic poets.

Yeah sure I know about that, it's linked in the OP and all, but I meant a proper wiki for exclusively spoilers that Kerberos and pals don't want in their own wiki. Things like how stimulus and trade works, or what menaces there are and how they precisely work.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Yeah the spoilers thing is really silly when multiplayer is supposed to be the big thing that the game is about. If it's a multiplayer game, the mechanics should not be random and obtuse - both players should know what the hell is going on so that they can make informed decisions and win or lose based on those.

Kinetic Tools
May 6, 2009
Anything about this game being considered 'spoilers' is especially stupid/funny because the game has literally been out for over a year. It's a tacit admission that no-one has even been able to play the drat thing for very long. Even the most stringent "NO SPOILERS" threads here tend to drop that long before a year has passed.

I could understand story stuff maaaybe; but this game doesn't have a campaign or story mode, and there's no narrative or revelations built into the regular maps. What's there to even spoil? Background info?

The silliest part is considering game mechanics and formulae spoiler material. "Players should NOT know exactly how the game works. Not in this genre!"

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Finally getting a grip on this game which is really cool and it's beginning to make sense. The interface isn't so bad when you get used to it, it's just... horrendously ugly.

That said, the explosion on the floating station I encountered was incredibly weak.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Stations are pretty much the only thing in the tactical combat engine that don't really look finished. They just disappear in stock explosions, while ships break apart into chunks that spin away trailing fire and secondary explosions.

Does anyone know what effects closing systems has apart from stopping stimulus from affecting the system and cutting down on corruption?

Edit: The fix for the fix of the previous fix is out. Pirate crashes are supposedly solved.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 13, 2012

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Does anyone know what effects closing systems has apart from stopping stimulus from affecting the system and cutting down on corruption?

There are a few techs in the Industry tree that will protect your colonies from civilian damage, I believe. All in all, it's inconsequential as far as I can tell.

Eliza fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 13, 2012

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Here's the patch notes:

quote:

Patchnotes 2.0.24567.1

Postby Nextek » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:50 am
Enjoy!

(2.0.24567.1)
Critical fixes:
- Fixed Pirate CTD.
- Fixed CTD entering Comparative Analysis.
- Fixed CTD in Fleet Manager related to Loa.
- Fixed end turn freeze.

Other fixes:
- Loa fleets that can no longer construct their command ship return home and dissolve.
- Fixed freighters not leaving system once boarded.
- Some optimizations to memory usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I really wish we knew how exactly the freighters work. Warehouses allow goods to remain there longer... but what does that mean?

• Locked thread