Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Fedule posted:

I have an early post in the thread. Shall I catalog the Riveting Anecdotes?

Yes please can we have these added to the OP, I mean I know it's the first day of the thread but this is already bigger than most LP threads get after about 8 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

njsykora posted:

Yes please can we have these added to the OP, I mean I know it's the first day of the thread but this is already bigger than most LP threads get after about 8 hours.

For the time being I've put them in my first post, but maybe they can go in the OP later.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

I have no idea who this motherfucker is, but goddamn if he isn't my favorite character already.

Hace fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 12, 2012

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

You know, in my eyes these characters look quite similar (although it's possible I'm being misled by the matching expressions). And the blonde reminds me of Junko, and the redhead reminds me of Mukuro. I sort of hope they turn out to be disguised as each other for completely unsinister reasons.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Hace posted:

I have know idea who this motherfucker is, but goddamn if he isn't my favorite character already.

Mondo + The Pillsbury Doughboy

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Blondie gives me Maizono vibes. It's probably the expression and her hands clasped in front, since that was Maizono's default pose.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I should really be sleeping, but here's my idea - if Fedule gets his commentary series, I should too! Since this is, in fact, a looser translation, I thought I'll write up some details about the original prose for those who are interested, with comments about the difficult points of translating pop-culture Japanese, references we changed or removed, and why we made some of the choices we did. I'll work on the first entry when I wake up tomorrow, and add it and Fedule's commentaries to the OP TOC.

One of the problems of working in LP form is that we translate serially and publish immediatlly. Like most such things, this translation will mature and improve in time, as we get a better handle on our take on the characters. So please let me know what you like or dislike about the text. I can't promise we'll follow everyone's suggestions, but I promise to listen.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Go for it! I never outright said it in the last thread, but I really missed the Japan dots near the end of the LP of the first game. Those sort of cultural references are interesting to me, and it would be nice to get some context on those.

orenronen posted:

One of the problems of working in LP form is that we translate serially and publish immediately.

That's one of the things that I noticed in Fedule's writeup. Have you considered using something like Google Docs or another collaborative editor to aid in the translation?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

orenronen posted:

I should really be sleeping, but here's my idea - if Fedule gets his commentary series, I should too! Since this is, in fact, a looser translation, I thought I'll write up some details about the original prose for those who are interested, with comments about the difficult points of translating pop-culture Japanese, references we changed or removed, and why we made some of the choices we did. I'll work on the first entry when I wake up tomorrow, and add it and Fedule's commentaries to the OP TOC.

One of the problems of working in LP form is that we translate serially and publish immediatlly. Like most such things, this translation will mature and improve in time, as we get a better handle on our take on the characters. So please let me know what you like or dislike about the text. I can't promise we'll follow everyone's suggestions, but I promise to listen.

I was just thinking - future notes would warrant contributions from you re: the Japanese, since that's, y'know, your thing, but yeah, this is basically just taking that a step further. Proceed!

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's one of the things that I noticed in Fedule's writeup. Have you considered using something like Google Docs or another collaborative editor to aid in the translation?

Funfact: "Sends me" is figurative. :v:

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!

EchoPrima posted:

I'm thinking this is probably some weird computer simulation due to the weird glitches, plus everything seems too normal but isn't the Despair event supposed to be happening?

I was thinking the same thing, truth be told. It seems different enough from the first game's blackout sequence, and for some reason this intro reminded me of the Kingdom Hearts 2 Intro.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Is my favorite character so far. Maybe someone else will eclipse, but currently just seeing the designs, cheering for her to survive/be behind the inevitable murders/both.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

Funfact: "Sends me" is figurative. :v:
Nice!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Clearly, someone has entered Caboose's Hagakure's mind.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
People in the DR1 thread were talking about a Dangan Ronpa avatar for Fedule since he will be taking part in this and...well:

I think the monorabbit thing here would be a perfect fit.

TehDuke
Oct 17, 2012

Who am I?
What is happening?
Why is butterscotch?
Okay, this is great. I discovered the DR1 thread a few months ago, but only lurked there. Now the time comes when I finally finish it and the very same day the DR2 thread is posted. Life is pretty cool sometimes. :allears:

I'll lay off speculation for now, but I will say it's pretty entertaining to see everyone's ideas of this new batch of characters based on character design and just a few lines of dialogue. I've got my own favorites and ideas whatnot, but given how many curveballs the last game threw at us I'm prepping myself for the unexpected.

Also, this:

Fedule posted:

Fedule's Riveting Editorial Anecdotes
Episode the First

orenronen posted:

if Fedule gets his commentary series, I should too!

As a Japanese major and overall language/translation geek, I eat this stuff up. I didn't think I needed any more reasons to keep up with this thread, but there you go.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sounds like you really know your stuff, Fedule! I'm really interested to see you and Oren write these notes up.

Apple Cider
Jan 30, 2009

That was messed up and feminist.
I am rapt with attention to hear about both Fedule's and Oren's notes since I am both a fan of editing and also Japanese translation. I liked the first LP for all the Japanese notes and fairly constant adherence to a lot of the Japanese ways of speaking.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Hace posted:

I have know idea who this motherfucker is, but goddamn if he isn't my favorite character already.

I know! I can already tell he's going to have awesome character poses, and probably gonna kill someone. I am totally enthused about this.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
drat that's anime

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hace posted:

His hair is shaped like a shrimp (because he is a chef). It isn't really all that similar to Mondo's pompadour.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
Since Togami is not a SHSL heir anymore, he decided to be SHSL Master of Disguise.
:v: Turtle, turtle, turtle.

Also I bet this game will pull a Kojima, and that Super Dangan Ronpa 2 is a simulation to reenact the events of the first game to create new SHSL Solid Snakes Hopes. This means that the villain may not be SHSL Despair but may be remnants of the Illuminati in the Dangan Ronpa universe who are trying to get their power back from SHSL Despair.

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 12, 2012

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

You. I like your design! But why do you always have sparks coming from your head? It'd be pretty funny if you were a SHSL Esper or something unexpected like that.

Also I wonder who the guy third from the right in this picture is. He hasn't said anything but that hairstyle is pretty amazing! Also he's got some neat gauntlet thing on.

Baita
Oct 18, 2012

But it's not like this is the last time we'll have a chance to talk. We'll try again later.

Anyone who's already spoiled that can find a larger size of this?
Or anything else that can work as a DR2 background?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Anyway, assuming that Fat Togami isn't Togami's relative, maybe he is someone who tries to imitate the real thing?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Nine pages in under 10 hours. Sheesh.

Wow, this school's characters look a lot stranger. I don't like them. A lot are kinda creepy. There's Fatgami, SHSL Chef, SHSL Mechanic, SHSL Girl-who-buys-too-small-shirts. FEDIT:

If they were worried about being locked in, why weren't people waiting to try and get out through the door the second it opened?

The broken universe glitch of the first few scenes was really interesting, though.

Xander77 posted:

~Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!~

On that note, I dabble in translation work, and a bit of advice I got from more experienced translators / proofreaders - you can rearrange the material you have to make the translation flow better or make more sense, but writing your own additions is a no-no, for obvious reasons. If you want to leave and impression or show your skills, you should consider writing something original, rather than mess with a translation.

True, but it's not unusual for LP'ers to add extra dialogue that wasn't from the source into the game.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
This thread was posted literally the second I had to leave for work this morning so I had to wait until now to read it.

Good show on the despair right from the get go, orenronen. :negative:

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
I'm pretty sure this is a record.

We've had 1, arguably 2 updates (depending on how you count the DR0 and commentary updates) and already we've got 9 pages of posts.

Nine. From the first update.

Looks like it's going to be a good game, though. Keep up the good work, Oren and Fedule.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If they were worried about being locked in, why weren't people waiting to try and get out through the door the second it opened?

You're right, that is weird. I think they all sorta woke up inside, and Fatgami seems to confirm it... except he previously says "Why don't you come into the room?" which would mean, yeah, our hero was already outside when he said that?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

slowbeef posted:

You're right, that is weird. I think they all sorta woke up inside, and Fatgami seems to confirm it... except he previously says "Why don't you come into the room?" which would mean, yeah, our hero was already outside when he said that?

Fatgami is Monobear wearing Togami's skin like a suit, which both explains why he's so fat and why he beckons our new protagonist inside. :ms:

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

slowbeef posted:

Villain! Bad guy! Antagonist!

Whooping Toff
Oct 21, 2010

*ahem*

I do beg your pardon.
Well i'll be following this just like DR1, but I have a feeling i'll be sticking to Oren's posts only seeing as how many posts there are after one update... Will be a shame to miss out on the murder mystery discussion but drat that's a lot of pages.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dragonatrix posted:

Well, Togami did make it clear in DR1 that he's part of the DR-Illuminati and all, so I'm thinking he might just be a clone that was made before the Most Despairing Event.

Makes as much sense as anything else, at least.
So, Super High-School Level Mark Vorkosigan?

Estraven
Oct 18, 2012
Ohhhh my god I'm so excited.

I already like these character designs so much! Every single one of them looks interesting and I can't wait to find out more, although my brain is still reeling because holy poo poo Fat Togami

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Am I still in time for the ground floor?
Looking forward to this game, the character artwork has changed style a little bit and that's the first thing I noticed so. Hopefully the punk characters will last a little longer this game. Maybe the delicate heroine will last longer, since she died first in Dangan Ronpa. Maybe it's too soon to be speculating so i'll sit back and relax now.

suuchan
Oct 12, 2012

mystery solved!
Ah, seeing the posts about the translation liberties and stuff with the character speech patterns makes things make a little more sense now! A few people were a little surprised because in this translation so far it seems like Hinata speaks very formally, compared to the upfront/bordering on impolite way he apparantly speaks in Japanese.

Although I guess we do only have one update to go on. Either way you choose to do it, I'm sure the translation will adhere to his/the other characters' spirit! I like it a lot so far, anyway.

Apple Cider
Jan 30, 2009

That was messed up and feminist.
Maybe it's just a design choice that I'm missing because it is Japanese but most of the characters have a design or crest on their clothing. Is that a fashion thing, perhaps?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

slowbeef posted:

Hey wait... that is kinda weird. I was thinking something is up about Hinata and it's more than just him being outside the classroom.

Though why didn't the SHSL Bancho bum rush the open door if he'd tried prior to leave?

spd12
Nov 3, 2012
The pink hair guy with the shark teeth is giving me some serious Leon vibes, which I imagine to be intentional on the part of the designers. There's an insignia on his chest that's colored exactly the way blood is in Dangan Ronpa.

If this game is out to subvert our expectations, I suspect he will be instead one of the most developed and interesting characters who lasts through the entire game, despite appearances.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Apple Cider posted:

Maybe it's just a design choice that I'm missing because it is Japanese but most of the characters have a design or crest on their clothing. Is that a fashion thing, perhaps?
Probably the same deal as the first Dangan Ronpa; they're emblems from the past school that each student have attended before being accepted to Hope's Peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Hey Orenronen, would you mind showing off any visual differences or upgrades that the general gameplay of DR2 has over 1 in a video or separate post?

• Locked thread