Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
That website is always dangerous. I get fixated on beating it, and it's not until I give it a good thrashing and get a good result that I can say that I am finished.

For instance, this: http://translationparty.com/#10629273

Also, don't take that second sentence out of context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Gutcruncher: "I have come from America, I love your show. The next time when you come to America it is imperative you make a visit to Tacoma. We here, we have a splendid game center that provides alcohol."
Arino: "Oh! America! You can't hold a controller with a bourbon in one hand. Be careful!"

Krakhan: "Hello from Canada, Game Center CX is awesome, keep up the good work!”
Arino: "Oh! Canada! I've never gotten a love letter from Canada." [reference to a famous song]

DaisyMiharurin: "I'm a fan from Holland. I began Pilotwings for your sake."
Arino: "Oh! Holland! There's one in Nagasaki, too!" [reference to Holland Village, a theme park]

seekerofthevoid: "Kacho! Thank you for the reply! Will you ever play Donkey Kong Country 2? Because it's my favorite game. By the way, Italian women are not very kind."
Arino: "Wrong! I heard Italian men are kind to women."

JamieGirls34 "you are so @arimorokoshi415 fine"
Arino: "♩ Boyyyy~"

neko_urara: "Good evening Chief Arino! (゚▽゚)/ You're loved by the world ( ̄∀ ̄)"
Arino: "Somebody stop me."

Arino "Thus concludes the weekend overseas Twitter service."

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 10, 2012

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Arino is just plain awesome. :dealwithit:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

zari-gani posted:

JamieGirls34 "you are so @arimorokoshi415 fine"
Arino: "♩ Boyyyy~"

In case it's not completely obvious, Arino answered a spam bot here. Basically

RadicalR posted:

Arino is just plain awesome. :dealwithit:

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011
Oh my, these are great. I'm a little bummed he didn't answer mine (never mention you can't speak Japanese in Japanese?), but some of these replies are just wonderful.

zari-gani posted:

Arino: "Oh! America! You can't hold a controller with a bourbon in one hand. Be careful!"

WATCH ME.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

zari-gani posted:

Gutcruncher: "I have come from America, I love your show. The next time when you come to America it is imperative you make a visit to Tacoma. We here, we have a splendid game center that provides alcohol."

I see Arino is not well-versed in American ingenuity and therefore is not aware of our greatest achievement, the Beer Hat.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
Being a Canadian, I'm half surprised that Canada is the only place that Arino didn't make a snarky comment at. I was half expecting him to ask if we play games with maple syrup on our controllers to make sure they don't fall out of our hands or something like that. I wonder if the "Oh Canada!" thing was him being surprised about someone from Canada tweeting him, or him referencing our national anthem. Maybe it was both... :psyduck:

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

zari-gani posted:

Somebody shoudl tell Arino we have hats for that.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Toad King posted:

Somebody shoudl tell Arino we have hats for that.

我々アメリカ人は、この問題を解決するために装置を発明しました。
http://i.imgur.com/rD8Ru.jpg

We are Americans, we have invented a device to solve this problem.

I hope his mind gets utterly BLOWN

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

JetGrind posted:

I wonder if the "Oh Canada!" thing was him being surprised about someone from Canada tweeting him, or him referencing our national anthem. Maybe it was both... :psyduck:

It's the standard "Oh! [country name]!" reply he's been giving to everyone.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

zari-gani posted:

It's the standard "Oh! [country name]!" reply he's been giving to everyone.

Ahh, okay. I'm still surprised there was no mention of maple syrup. Get your silly stereotypes in check, Arino! Eh.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I didn't mention me being Canadian, but I told him I eat my hamburgers with controllers. It's very delicious. I think I should have said poutine.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I just finished watching the last half of Dig Dug II. Interesting coincidence the highest score he achieved was 51400 (00415 backwards). Not as crazy as the Pac-Man 2 door code being 415, but there you go.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Gutcruncher posted:

A good sign is if during the next episode, one of the ADs pulls that out, but instead its coke instead of beer.

Although a drunk Kacho could be worth watching. He'd probably just spend his time congratulating Abe on being so loving awesome.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It'd be perfect for a Tecmo Bowl challenge.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Gutcruncher posted:

I cannot wait to see his reaction to this.

Looks like I missed the arcade port discussion on the last page... The PS1 could've handled Simpsons Arcade fine, since from what I've always understood, the system doesn't really do 2D the conventional way (raster tiles or something).

Basically, if the below info is accurate, most 2D objects on the PS1 are actually flat polygons, so a whole new custom 3D engine had to be made for each game of the sort. I don't imagine that was an easy process to execute well (given the historically abysmal VRAM all consoles had to work with), hence the resulting products and the console's perceived reputation.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?21973

I think the PS2 and GameCube handle 2D in a similar fashion. The Naomi/Dreamcast's SH-4/PowerVR combo, however, could poo poo out actual sprites at ridiculous rates. The DC port of Giga Wing was really impressive in that regard.

Also, I agree with those that say the Simpsons arcade game has not aged well, but mostly because it was based off of (*Krusty groan*) early Simpsons. I find the first two seasons of the show to be completely uwatchable.

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.

NarbYehoot posted:

I didn't mention me being Canadian, but I told him I eat my hamburgers with controllers. It's very delicious. I think I should have said poutine.

I was tempted to tweet about him trying some poutine if he ever comes up here.

He is quite the character all right.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Ofecks posted:

Basically, if the below info is accurate, most 2D objects on the PS1 are actually flat polygons

AFAIK this has become the standard way to do 2D games now that most hardware is designed for 3D.

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi
I finally received the "Retro Game Master" DVD set today. I'm re-watching a couple of episodes I saw on Kotaku and they're much better than I remember. While the fact that I can turn off the horribly dubbed in announcer probably has a lot to do with the added enjoyment, I also find the subtitles to be worlds better than the ones offered previously on Kotaku.

Good job zari-gani!

If more of these episodes come out in this fashion they should just get Arino to dub over the entire thing for the English track.

orochi fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 11, 2012

Manfrey
Sep 18, 2006

Frying high
Feering good

Ofecks posted:

I think the PS2 and GameCube handle 2D in a similar fashion. The Naomi/Dreamcast's SH-4/PowerVR combo, however, could poo poo out actual sprites at ridiculous rates. The DC port of Giga Wing was really impressive in that regard.

Speaking of Sega hardware, even the 3D capabilities of the Saturn were built with 2D in mind: its native polygonal unit is the quadrilateral.

Manfrey fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 11, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

orochi posted:

If more of these episodes come out in this fashion they should just get Arino to dub over the entire thing for the English track.

Arino is proof that people the world over just talk louder and slower to get foreigners to understand them.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Does anyone have any idea what kind of monitor Arino uses?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Risky posted:

Does anyone have any idea what kind of monitor Arino uses?
Toshiba 20LB20 Beautiful Face

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2004_09/pr_j2804.htm

Manfrey
Sep 18, 2006

Frying high
Feering good

zari-gani posted:

Toshiba 20LB20 Beautiful Face

When watching the Parappa episode I couldn't help but wonder if the inherent delay caused by deinterlacing/noise-reducing the PS1's analog video on that monitor was making the game much harder for Arino than it needed to be.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Do all Japanese TVs have such good? names?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Manfrey posted:

When watching the Parappa episode I couldn't help but wonder if the inherent delay caused by deinterlacing/noise-reducing the PS1's analog video on that monitor was making the game much harder for Arino than it needed to be.

I know this is Arino we're talking about, but part of me winces to see him play anything timing-based when there's the chance of input delay being generated by the monitor. I blame part of that on having tried to speedrun older games or emulators on LCD monitors and feeling that my inputs are off by a couple of frames.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Manfrey posted:

He even mentions needing to press the buttons early. Certainly sounds like monitor lag, but he managed to adapt pretty well.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

If we're talking about the latest monitor (debuted in #117 Gimmick), it's an Aquos LC-19K3 from Sharp.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Manfrey posted:

I'm absolutely sure that's the problem he was having in the beginning, before he started "riding the rhythm" and became...

Risky
May 18, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

He even mentions needing to press the buttons early. Certainly sounds like monitor lag, but he managed to adapt pretty well.

You bring up a good point with the lag as I noticed that as well.

I was actually thinking since this is a popular TV show and they have a ton of ADs to pool info from, why they don't use a setup/tv/monitor with an RGB setup or S-Video at the very least. Judging from some of the shots (which tend to go by fast) of the back of the monitor it seems like he is always using a composite video signal. Surely they could do better?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I'm absolutely sure that's the problem he was having in the beginning, before he started "riding the rhythm" and became...

I need to stop falling asleep before episodes end. :stare:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Risky posted:

You bring up a good point with the lag as I noticed that as well.

I was actually thinking since this is a popular TV show and they have a ton of ADs to pool info from, why they don't use a setup/tv/monitor with an RGB setup or S-Video at the very least. Judging from some of the shots (which tend to go by fast) of the back of the monitor it seems like he is always using a composite video signal. Surely they could do better?

There are probably two things at place. First, the show prides itself on doing things in a kind of DIY old-school way, and this is something that you see a lot of on other TV shows, and in Japanese society at large. For all of Japan's reputation as a technological future wonderland, the mindset of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" runs very, very deep over there. The most technically advanced thing the show does is the pretty basic title effects and their Dragon Quest-like sequences (which vary very little between episodes). The ADs and Arino do their own drawings for everything on the show (maps, sketches) using either the whiteboard or paper+markers.

Second, at least in the case of the stock NES and Famicom, making them beneficially output a higher-quality signal than composite requires gutting an NES Playchoice motherboard and basically replacing the console video encoding chip with the Playchoice one. This gives you a stupidly-clean picture but does warp I think one or two colors, and it also screws up an alpha channel used by a few games that makes them unplayable. Having said that, the games seem to be absent of the buzzing noise NESes I've used have always had, and the picture does seem reasonably stable, if not 100% clean. It's possible they put the console's signal through an upscaler or similar hardware using whatever the console's best connectivity is, and then output from THAT to a video encoder as well as straight to the TV using composite (Arino probably doesn't care that his precious Famicom isn't hooked up using D-Terminal cables).

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Honestly, input lag aside, Parappa always seemed to work best when you pressed the button slightly early no matter what kind of screen you played it on. There's just the possibility that it needed to be pressed even earlier than usual. :sigh:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Next episode's hint: a green protagonist.

This time I'm pretty danged sure it's the leaked challenge! If so, I think you guys will be happy.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

zari-gani posted:

This time I'm pretty danged sure it's the leaked challenge! If so, I think you guys will be happy.

Was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles popular in Japan?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Is Legacy of the Wizard as awesome as this show made it look? It looks like 8-bit SotN and that owns.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

univbee posted:

Having said that, the games seem to be absent of the buzzing noise NESes I've used have always had, and the picture does seem reasonably stable, if not 100% clean. It's possible they put the console's signal through an upscaler or similar hardware using whatever the console's best connectivity is, and then output from THAT to a video encoder as well as straight to the TV using composite (Arino probably doesn't care that his precious Famicom isn't hooked up using D-Terminal cables).

I mentioned this before, but:

Their Famicom is AV modded for composite audio/video. The Famicom only uses RF normally. This is probably quite better than the toaster NES's video output (which is noticeably bad).

I'm going to say given the quality if their image they aren't using any filters/upscalers. It looks like ordinary composite video. Difficult to tell from the episode encodes, but it doesn't look as sharp as the AV Famicom's composite output.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Woozy posted:

Is Legacy of the Wizard as awesome as this show made it look? It looks like 8-bit SotN and that owns.

It does own. It's a Falcom title, so that also means rad music. It's kinda hard to know what to do on your own, but if you've seen the GCCX episode you probably know enough. You just need to know what the items do, who can use them, and where each family member's dungeon starts.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

zari-gani posted:

...Whirlo? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Silentman0 posted:

Was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles popular in Japan?

Enough to have an anime! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTjXOSFv8Hk