Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Goddamn, only $800 for an unsafe lane change and going 127% over the speed limit?

I overtook on double lines and only went 50% over the limit and I had to pay ~$870 for the privilege. PLUS the ~$520 for a mandatory driving test. Lucky fucker.

125 in a 55...so that's basically 200 in a 90. 110km/h over the limit. In Ontario, 50 or more over is an instant 30-day license suspension, roadside vehicle impoundment, mandatory court appearance and $10,000 fine. Then add whatever criminal penalties the judge chooses to add, and the cost of getting your license back and paying through the nose for insurance if indeed you are insurable at all.

:canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sagebrush posted:

125 in a 55...so that's basically 200 in a 90. 110km/h over the limit. In Ontario, 50 or more over is an instant 30-day license suspension, roadside vehicle impoundment, mandatory court appearance and $10,000 fine. Then add whatever criminal penalties the judge chooses to add, and the cost of getting your license back and paying through the nose for insurance if indeed you are insurable at all.

More or less the same here, definitely an instant license suspension for at least 3 years.

Actually I think they just drag you behind a bush and put a bullet through your head here if they catch you speeding by that much.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I'm in :canada: and I seriously wonder if they'd bother giving chase for doing 200. In NS they call going 50 over "stunting" and you get a few thousand dollar fine/lose your license/have your car impounded. Good thing the cabot trail is pretty much devoid of police.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I've been north of 100 many times in my young, dumb and full of Mountain Dew days, but the one that takes the cake is when I did it in my '70 Fairlane. About 2002, not registered, no power steering, four wheel drum brakes, and the plates from my 92 Accord hanging off of it. loving FLEW down the back roads without any knowledge of if the car would stay together.

Never again, I have no idea what I was thinking.

e- the fastest was a toss up of either pegged in my dad's Jag XJS V12 (he was driving) at probably 160mph, or my buddy's 355, tunnel rammed Vega doing likewise. The Vega was scary because at around 140 or so it started to generate lift, and he demonstrated this by sawing the wheel back and forth :wtc:

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 11, 2012

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

VikingSkull posted:

e- the fastest was a toss up of either pegged in my dad's Jag XJS V12 (he was driving) at probably 160mph,

Hey there, XJ-12 speeding buddy.
The fastest I've personally driven was right at that 160-165 in our old XJ-12. About 130ish it started to float and get scary. I still had pedal left but ran out of road. Not the smartest thing to do at dusk on a Texas country lane barely 2 cars wide. A deer could have run out and I'd have nowhere to go.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Those things are weird because at around 80 they seem to press down into the road and you're all like "yeah, sports car!" then out of nowhere it feels like a Cessna going wheels up.

Jaguars.

preemptive edit - yes, ours was involved in a fire

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OptimusMatrix posted:

Did 173 indicated with 2 up on my buddies Busa. She was a tiny little thing and held on for dear life.

Yeah that's honestly pretty ballsy. I don't like top speed runs on sport bikes because a failure of any type would likely be catastrophic and result in death.

I was watching something on YouTube recently where Valentino Rossi, pretty much the Jordan/Gretsky/Senna of top tier motorcycle racing did a few laps for fun around the Isle of Mann TT course.

He said that those guys (Formula extreme ??) have more balls than the MotoGP guys due to the speeds and mechanisms for injury that doesn't exist as much in MotoGP.

Any highlight reel from any Isle TT race on YouTube will drive the point home.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I did an indicated like 145mph in neutral in my Bertone going down the side of a mountain. I was actually matching the speed of traffic for the most part...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

jonathan posted:

Yeah that's honestly pretty ballsy. I don't like top speed runs on sport bikes because a failure of any type would likely be catastrophic and result in death.

I was watching something on YouTube recently where Valentino Rossi, pretty much the Jordan/Gretsky/Senna of top tier motorcycle racing did a few laps for fun around the Isle of Mann TT course.

He said that those guys (Formula extreme ??) have more balls than the MotoGP guys due to the speeds and mechanisms for injury that doesn't exist as much in MotoGP.

Any highlight reel from any Isle TT race on YouTube will drive the point home.

My favorite quote in reply to Rossi was one of the TT guys basically saying "yeah, if you're scared of this, get out". I wish I could find it now. Dude's a MotoGP legend and they were basically just tooling on him.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VikingSkull posted:

My favorite quote in reply to Rossi was one of the TT guys basically saying "yeah, if you're scared of this, get out". I wish I could find it now. Dude's a MotoGP legend and they were basically just tooling on him.

Yup, the video starts out with slow motion sketchy wheelie and jump landings with bar shake and some quotes in the foreground. I'll see if I can find it as its in my history list.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Found it

The quotes are about halfway through.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I won't bother posting the videos again but when it comes to the TT Guy Martin is just a fantastic character. He works as a truck mechanic to fund his hobby of racing bikes. No professional fannying around, just getting on and going fast on a road course.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

tbb9 posted:

I should have said the tach hits redline at the same time the speedometer tips over
Ah. I was meaning the tach and the speedometer are parallel throughout the entire gear. It really isn't supposed to impress anyone, just neat to see ... although, when I rebuilt the engine with a raised redline, second gear was good from 25 to just over 70 ... so that was kinda fun. Cam started to kick in around 45-50 which was less fun, or more fun, depending on how you looked at it. Top speed was just shy of redline in 4th; in 5th it would slow back down :( Stupid tall gears.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

emf posted:

Ah. I was meaning the tach and the speedometer are parallel throughout the entire gear. It really isn't supposed to impress anyone, just neat to see ... although, when I rebuilt the engine with a raised redline, second gear was good from 25 to just over 70 ... so that was kinda fun. Cam started to kick in around 45-50 which was less fun, or more fun, depending on how you looked at it. Top speed was just shy of redline in 4th; in 5th it would slow back down :( Stupid tall gears.

My 1991 Integra had this behavior: speedometer and tachometer were apparently the same part with different numbers printed on the backing, 4th gear was 1:1.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

A lot of BMWs have 1:1 4th/5th gears (seriously, a lot of them) and also will have synchronized needles on the speedo and tach in that gear. My E46 certainly does it, it's kind of neat.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 12, 2012

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Most cars have 1:1 4th gears.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I understand that this marking probably serves some sort of legitimate purpose but I can't see it as anything other than stern admonishment on the low pressure side gauge of our AC service machine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alright, a page and a half with the only pic being of a speeding ticket?

My redneck family decided to have a Christmas party, involving a 'light parade' down the center of the small town my grandma lives in. I threw some blinky LEDs around my daughter's stroller, but one of my uncles decided to go considerably higher scale.

Complete with Mardi Gras beads to throw at the townspeople.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Sagebrush posted:

The first time my friends and I went to Toronto we read one of those signs on the highway (think it was the 401?). Have yet to speed in Canada.
Just out of curiosity, what are your DUI laws like?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I broke 100 mph in my Hyundai Elantra "Blue" tonight and it was the most exhilarating thing I've ever done. I wanna be a race car driver now.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
X-posting from my HK thread...

Toyota Chaser by Rupert Procter, on Flickr

Now there's something you don't see every day. Caught a glimpse of this car a couple of times on the same night about a year ago and just couldn't get a shot of it. Well, that was rectified today!

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

anonumos posted:

I broke 100 mph in my Hyundai Elantra "Blue" tonight and it was the most exhilarating thing I've ever done. I wanna be a race car driver now.

Did this thread inspire you?

JuanChai posted:

Now there's something you don't see every day. Caught a glimpse of this car a couple of times on the same night about a year ago and just couldn't get a shot of it. Well, that was rectified today!

I'm not usually too big on utes, but I would dd the poo poo out of that!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ultimateforce posted:

Most cars have 1:1 4th gears.

Yep, which is why on most 5-speeds, the top gear is specifically referred to as the overdrive :eng101:

travisray2004 posted:

The first time my friends and I went to Toronto we read one of those signs on the highway (think it was the 401?). Have yet to speed in Canada.
Just out of curiosity, what are your DUI laws like?

Your first time being caught over 0.08, it is

- 90 day instant suspension
- $1000 fine
- mandatory alcohol education program
- mandatory alcohol rehab program
- 1 year of suspended license if you are convicted
- after that suspension is up, 1 year of a breathalyzer interlock

and it gets worse for subsequent offenses. On your third strike you'll spend a year in jail, be fined as much as the judge pleases, and never drive again.

We also have a "warn" range of 0.05-0.079. If you blow that you don't actually get any criminal charges, but you do get your license suspended for 3 days and your car impounded (also gets longer with subsequent offenses) and a $150 fine.

I'm totally fine with the harsh impaired driving laws, though. The speeding fines are what drive me nuts -- the 401 is literally the busiest highway in the entire world, and it has a limit of 100km/h on its entire length. Little dinky motorways in Europe have limits of 130, but the 6 to 14 lane 401, passing mostly through bleak rock-cuts and pine forests in the Canadian Shield, is stuck at 62 miles an hour. Every single person on the road speeds 10 to 30 over, so the OPP can pull over anyone they please at any time. It's super lame.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

When my buddy had his '98 Taurus SHO he used to zoom along at around 100mph on I80. He slowed down and drove the speed limit once he hit Lincoln and traffic though. Gets all the way through town and is boxed in and pulled over by two state troopers. The trooper gets out and tells him that a car matching his description was clocked by a sheriff and if it was him it would really save them time searching for this car and be a big favor if he just admitted it was him. My buddy tells them "This is a Taurus, I don't think it can even do 100" The trooper looks at the car, says "yeah you're right, have a nice day" and my friend drove off deciding to not squeal his tires as he pulled out.

Edit: Because this page needs more pics. From the Hot Rod Revolution show in Austin.

djdanno13 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 12, 2012

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Sagebrush posted:

Yep, which is why on most 5-speeds, the top gear is specifically referred to as the overdrive :eng101:

Your first time being caught over 0.08, it is

- 90 day instant suspension
- $1000 fine
- mandatory alcohol education program
- mandatory alcohol rehab program
- 1 year of suspended license if you are convicted
- after that suspension is up, 1 year of a breathalyzer interlock

I wonder what would happen to US DUI rates if that system was put in place. Quite a few of my American friends see no problem driving drunk "as long as they're careful" while none my French friends will drive after a single beer.

Also, Lake Shore Drive in Chicago is an 8 lane highway with a 45mph speed limit. CPD could pull over the entire thing from Gary to Evanston and balance the Chicago budget instantly.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

travisray2004 posted:

Did this thread inspire you?
No, but I saw people bragging so....

To make up for it, here's an Alfa Romeo Stradale that I have as my desktop background.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

bidikyoopi posted:

I wonder what would happen to US DUI rates if that system was put in place.

You'd also have to put a pretty serious increase on penalties for people driving without a license.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

anonumos posted:

No, but I saw people bragging so....

To make up for it, here's an Alfa Romeo Stradale that I have as my desktop background.

Love it except for the front badge. It looks like an afterthought rather than incorporated into the design of the car.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

General_Failure posted:

Love it except for the front badge. It looks like an afterthought rather than incorporated into the design of the car.

It's their branding though. I guess they could've done just a round badge but the protruding triangle is really ingrained right now. But I agree that it messes with the lines a bit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

front wing flexing posted:

It's their branding though. I guess they could've done just a round badge but the protruding triangle is really ingrained right now. But I agree that it messes with the lines a bit.

If they did a small extrusion on the bonnet / moulded the air intake hole thing (not entirely sure what to call it on this car) to integrate it into the design a little as they always have it wouldn't look like a piece of rubbish flicked up off the road stuck to the front of it.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Just cruisin' for bitches..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWAK0J8Uhzk

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
You know how people always say that the S2000 engine bay has lots of room.
Well... http://www.autoblog.nl/image-gallery?file=Honda%2F0_Divers%2FHonda_S2000_Dodge-Viper_Engine_Swap%2F

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Hello Spaceman posted:

Well... http://www.autoblog.nl/image-gallery?file=Honda%2F0_Divers%2FHonda_S2000_Dodge-Viper_Engine_Swap%2F

That is awesome, I hope he spends as much on the rest of the vehicle. Viper V10 engine + cast iron single piston front calipers = ???

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Um, dude, if you didn't notice, those rotors are CROSS DRILLED which automatically makes for RACE CAR

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hello Spaceman posted:

Now if only the cockpit had as much space. Tall people problems :argh:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

JuanChai posted:

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
Finally a good use for those things!

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

It looks pretty cool blacked out like that, it reminds me of a submarine.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

The fastest i've ever been was 140mph in my 84 supra when it was still stock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's awesome. The bubble hatch thing on the back like a space station window (where I'm guessing the camera remote controls are, too), the cables running along the sides like the De Lorean time machine, and the flat blacked out everything (I assume to avoid altering the lighting of the scene at all). I assume there are also internal reinforcements to support the crane/counterweight/etc.

Now, why did they start with a Panamera?

e: and the STUDENT DRIVER up in front