Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

bman in 2288 posted:

Question: Isn't Hinata supposed to be a girl's name in Japan? Because I'm totally getting flashbacks to Naruto, and it's not painting a positive picture on our "hero".

Hinata is a unisex name meaning "sunny place." As long as we're on the topic, his given name, Hajime, means "beginning."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

bman in 2288 posted:

Question: Isn't Hinata supposed to be a girl's name in Japan? Because I'm totally getting flashbacks to Naruto, and it's not painting a positive picture on our "hero".

I think Hinata in this case is a surname, and his given name is Hajime, which is definitely a masculine given name? Don't quote me on that, though. (Also, to be fair, the DR series can play a little fast and loose with naming, given that last time we had a character who was diegetically supposed to have the birth name of "Corpse Warblade.")

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

slowbeef posted:

Well, I would like to point all your attention to something: It's not a very high-rated gold thread. You're right that oren and Fedule are due congratulations, but...

This thread is full of a lot of ... kinda crummy posts.

There's a couple rulebreaking low-content things that I've hit for, but this is pretty much 11 pages of repeated posts like "Here's what I think about the art of this one character, and who it could possibly be a retread of in the first game" ad nauseum. I understand there's obviously not much to talk about based on one update, but it's mostly 11 pages of just that.

I'm saying maybe I have to enforce this more strictly:

I'm asking that you refrain from anything but SHSL-level posts, and at least check the last couple of pages to make sure you're not repeating what someone else has said. We don't want the thread to get the reputation that it's only worth it to read the OP's posts this early on.

edit: I will admit to doing this myself, but after reviewing the past 11 pages, I think we need to exercise some restraint is all.

Yes please. I mean at this point you can't even call any of what is going on speculation, it is just idle chatter. I know that LP is usually more lenient but this is getting ridiculous.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Yaya posted:

I'm going to guess she's carrying a guitar and you were all just over-thinking.

That's what I thought at first as well, but if you look at the screenshot for the video at the end of the thread you get a shot of her back. It's not a guitar, I think it's more likely a sword or rifle of some kind.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

It's a broom, and she is an SHSL Dustforce character.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

KamikazePotato posted:

Add Devil Survivor 1->Devil Survivor 2 to this list. And I agree with this sentiment. I'm not a fan of some of these designs when compared to the original game. They aren't bad, just a little too out there.

Eagerly awaiting more updates.

Oops, that just made me realize I meant Devil Survivor, not Summoner. Haven't played Summoner. Got the two titles mixed up somehow, my bad. It's not even that I don't like the designs, I honestly do. But they just seem like...I don't know, maybe I just have weird taste in character designs. They looked funny at first but after reading the update a bit later and looking at them, they felt a bit weird you know?

No point in worrying over stuff like that though, so I'm just gonna wait and see how the game develops.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Stout actually teased this a couple of times, I believe. I mean, Wolfe is basically American Mycroft Holmes, after all. Fatogami might well follow in the proud tradition of gluttonous antisocial detectives.

The only tease that comes to mind was that Holmes painting. Were there others? It's been a while since I read Stout's stuff, I can't remember. Also, on topic of mystery writers and to bring this back to Dangan Ronpa for a bit--I remember that there were a few references here and there about some other mystery writers in the first game, like Kirigiri mentioning Ellery Queen, who's apparently really big in Japan.

I wonder if DR's creators ever made a statement about their influences. I mean if I recall correctly the writer wrote some Japan-only Detective Conan games, so he probably was influenced by that series one way or another, but I wonder what his other influences were. That kind of thing can be pretty interesting when dealing with plot heavy games.

slowbeef posted:

I'm asking that you refrain from anything but SHSL-level posts, and at least check the last couple of pages to make sure you're not repeating what someone else has said. We don't want the thread to get the reputation that it's only worth it to read the OP's posts this early on.

That's pretty fair. It's easy to get a bit caught up in the whole "Sequel yeah!" excitement, which I admittedly still am and I probably made a dumb post or four here. It's probably for the best to just tone down on posting for now because eleven/twelve pages of the same thing can start to feel like grinding for items in Nier.

Wow that was the worst metaphor I've ever made.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Antivehicular posted:

I think Hinata in this case is a surname, and his given name is Hajime, which is definitely a masculine given name? Don't quote me on that, though. (Also, to be fair, the DR series can play a little fast and loose with naming, given that last time we had a character who was diegetically supposed to have the birth name of "Corpse Warblade.")

Pretty sure Hajime is the surname; Oren kept the Japanese name order in his translation (Family Name, Given Name) and remember how it played a huge part in case 3?

Seriously excited for this LP, like ridiculously so...that is, until the world ends in a couple of weeks and then we'll never find out what happens next.

Despair :supaburn:

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

Happy Landfill posted:

Pretty sure Hajime is the surname; Oren kept the Japanese name order in his translation (Family Name, Given Name) and remember how it played a huge part in case 3?
He only kept it in the Japanese order for Yamada's speech, but changed it around for everyone else.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

pandaK posted:

Hinata is a unisex name meaning "sunny place." As long as we're on the topic, his given name, Hajime, means "beginning."

As I recall Naegi and Kirigiri's names had actual significance in that quasi-Shakespearean "their names reinforce their identity/role/nature" manner. I don't know nearly enough to comment on this, so I have to ask in the event anyone would know enough vocab for that -- was that true for all the characters or only a couple of 'em?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Conro101 posted:

He only kept it in the Japanese order for Yamada's speech, but changed it around for everyone else.

Really? I totally don't remember that.

Never mind, then.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: Nevermind, we might as well just wait for orenronen to clear this up.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

MUTEkI posted:

As I recall Naegi and Kirigiri's names had actual significance in that quasi-Shakespearean "their names reinforce their identity/role/nature" manner. I don't know nearly enough to comment on this, so I have to ask in the event anyone would know enough vocab for that -- was that true for all the characters or only a couple of 'em?

Well pretty much all story media will have meaningful names because it's just an easy way to add character. Especially with Japanese works, I've noticed.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
For the love-

His given name is Hajime.

His family name is Hinata.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Great to see the thread is here, and especially great to have gotten in on it at the very beginning, as opposed to the start of the final trial. Of course, as others have said, having to wait for each update will be truly despair-inducing.

One thing I didn't see anyone mention is that the chef seems to have a bit of Asahina's poses. EDIT: Huh, just went searching and I could have sworn there were more matches, but the main one will have to do.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
They are conveying completely different emotions though (fear vs. determination).

And I may as well throw in my first :tinfoil: by mashing up various wrong theories in DR1:

The whole game is a computer simulation with everyone in suspended animation, and the mastermind is an AI subconsciously controlled by the main character.

Now watch everything in the previous sentence unravel by the end of the first chapter. :v:

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

It's time to make the moon fall.

Mersenne posted:

Of course, this all relies on the assumption that DR2 even is a murder-oriented despair game like the first one, which we've yet to confirm. For all we know this could be an entirely different kind of despair game, where the participants aren't actively encouraged to kill each other and are simply given the mission of solving the mystery behind their situation from the get-go, but are given a time limit to do so and the place is now chock-full of lethal booby traps or something :v:

For all we know this is a beach volleyball spinoff and they're all off to meet Coach Bombay. We really don't know anything but that there are new characters in a class at this point.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Fedule posted:

For the love-

His given name is Hajime.

His family name is Hinata.

Which is fine and dandy, I think. Everyone, their moms and their dogs called our previous protagonist Naegi in the last thread, when his given name is actually Makoto. It just seems much more natural when dealing with a script that was originally Japanese.

Also, I keep reading "Hajime" and hearing "hajimemasu te" which... I believe is "pleased to meet you". I get a kick out of it, anyway.

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
Okay, yeah. The character designs for this game have already pretty much outdone the previous. It can only get better from here. :allears:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Dragoon Cody posted:

For all we know this is a beach volleyball spinoff and they're all off to meet Coach Bombay. We really don't know anything but that there are new characters in a class at this point.

We also know (with a little bit of meta-gaming) that a peaceful tropical vacation is somehow involved, which lends some extra credence to the beach volleyball theory.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 12, 2012

Charkie
Jan 28, 2004

I AM THE WORLD'S
GREATEST DETECTIVE
Step One: Look at this:

Step Two: Listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V14PfDDwxlE

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Wow you guys must really love the game, we haven't even got their names or what they do and you guys are already speculating endgame.

At this rate I guess there will be so much speculation going on that someone is going to be right and say "told you so" when there are so many things being guessed that it's like criminally impossible for something not to be at least a little correct.

I guess I'm one of the few who enjoys extremely light speculations and just enjoying the ride. Looking forward to this one, and looks like I'll be skimming a good chunk of the thread again till towards the end.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I already love all these characters. :allears:

Which will, of course, make the game incredibly depressing. :smith:

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Shoopuf posted:

Which is fine and dandy, I think. Everyone, their moms and their dogs called our previous protagonist Naegi in the last thread, when his given name is actually Makoto. It just seems much more natural when dealing with a script that was originally Japanese.

Also, I keep reading "Hajime" and hearing "hajimemasu te" which... I believe is "pleased to meet you". I get a kick out of it, anyway.

I think you might mean "Hajimemashite" but, yeah, it's derived from the same root (which is also why it's only really ever used the first time you meet someone).

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

I forget to check Let's Play for one day and then the sequel's up and 12 pages in :toot:

Character designs look extremely fun, can't wait to find out more about them though knowing the first game I don't think diving into speculation at this point is anything but an exercise in futility.

Also: the translation notes were pretty cool Fedule, looking forward to the next batch.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Jesus gently caress, we don't even know more than one character's name and the thread is 12 pages long.

Hell, this thread is only about 14 hours old. That's close to a page per hour.

What I'm saying is everybody wants to see this crazy train roll and I am also one of them.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Oh man, I was a lurker for last thread, but now I actually get to ride the train with everyone else! :allears:

This batch of characters looks even crazier than the first one, and I for one am looking forward to what comes up ahead as they reveal themselves.

Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012

Charkie posted:

"A big dish of peas."

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Can I even still call it getting in on the ground floor when this thread exploded to 12 pages already? :stare:

Fatgami keeps making me laugh everytime I see him. I bet he's just like... another member of the Togami family. The not-so-favorite son perhaps. Or just Togami as played by Mike Myers.

I can make guesses what some of the SHSLs might be, but if the huge muscular guy isn't a Super High School Level Banchou, I'll be disappointed. :colbert:

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Overlord K posted:

Can I even still call it getting in on the ground floor when this thread exploded to 12 pages already? :stare:

Yes, because 11 and a half of these pages are, as Slowbeef said, horrible speculation and comparing characters who generally have no name(barring Oren's file names) to the first dangan ronpa.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I recognize that derp...

Does anyone else think that the main character looks a lot like Naegi's dad from the first game?

Or maybe the headmaster, too.

Glaive17 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 12, 2012

DarciisFyer
May 4, 2009

I swear, that chef's hair looks like the corpse of a wriggly insect. You can see the legs to the side and the giant stinger it presumably uses to poison prey. It unnerves me.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

DarciisFyer posted:

I swear, that chef's hair looks like the corpse of a wriggly insect. You can see the legs to the side and the giant stinger it presumably uses to poison prey. It unnerves me.

Like someone said earlier in the thread, it's presumably supposed to look like a shrimp, and it pretty much does. Then again, shrimps are wriggly sea-insects and all, so maybe that doesn't help.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I figure Fat Ogami is going to be one of the people who dies in the first chapter. He and LIGHTNING GOD are the ones standing out the most right now, and the victim is going to have some character development before they die. As for why it isn't LIGHTNING GOD, who on earth would target him first?

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Yay, loved the last thread and so far it seem the thread will be as awesome as the last one with this many responses after the first post of the game and the prequel novel.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

bman in 2288 posted:

EDIT: Durf, guess I didn't realize oren was still doing the names the other way around. IGNORE ME!

Also, is anyone else curious about all of the text in that opening video? It looked like it was spewing out some hex code there for a while, which might have some meaning buried in it. DR has shown plenty of willingness to hide important stuff like that in the past, so while it might just be worthless garbage it could also easily have some big clues in it.

AbusePuppy fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 12, 2012

slam5000
Aug 19, 2012

DarciisFyer posted:

That pretty much sums it up right there... I really have no idea what the hell this character is doing here... This character is definitely going to be interesting.

I can't believe this hasn't been discussed more already, but does anyone have any thoughts on the new mono-fairy? I'm not sure if I should be confused, scared, DESPAIRing or excited.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
The characters seem to be mixed parodies and traits of the other ones. I can't wait to see where things go on from here, I like next level Neagi, and Togami! Also I think there's a girl pretending to be a boy this time? I dunno, we'll see.

Pretty sure there will be a ton of despair incoming with twice the amount of mono-animals.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Charkie posted:

Oh what luck! There's a french fry stuck in my hair!

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Translation/Japanese Chat with orenronen / 1

So, let's talk translation.

Japanese pop-culture is in a kind of strange position where there's a contigent of hardcore fans who consider extreme literality in translations an ideal. A lot of them know enough about the language so that, even if they can't read it fluently, they can trace back enough details of a literal translation to make it seem like a good idea.

The problem with literal translations is, of course, that things break down once a crowd who doesn't know much about Japanese language and culture tries to read it. Which is to say, most people just want to enjoy the story and not worry about such foreign concepts to an English speaker as what first-person pronoun a certain character uses or what unusual sentence-final particle they like. In fact, I find that most English readers prefer conversation to simply sound natural, and that on its own strays from how Japanese genre fiction tends to be written. In Japan, characters in games such as this one deliberately speak in a way no one in real life really does. Writers employ a truckload of established syntactic and stylistic shorthand to assign easily perceivable character traits to the speaker. This happens in English too, of course, but not nearly to the same extent.

My first priority this time around is to make the English flow, even at the cost of literality. That's why we're being much looser with character speech patterns than I was the first time around. It's why we will sometimes make things explicit when the Japanese is its usual vague and contracted. It's why there will be far less ellipsis (even though I always get the urge to put them back in). It's also why I prefer to keep the Japan icon for actual cultural notes instead of linguistic issues. But, since some people like to know these things, I'll try to write them up separately like I'm doing here.

Our protagonist, Hajime Hinata (I'm keeping the same western order I did for the first game, which makes Hajime his given name) is not a reiteraion of Naegi's personality, and Japanese readers get to see that almost immediately with his first-person pronoun of choice. In English, you get the pronoun "I". In Japanese, where pronouns aren't really pronouns, you get (at the very least) a distinction between male characters who use "boku" (timid, soft spoken) and those who use "ore" (manly, rough, brash). It gets more complicated than that, with variations and other pronouns which are not used as often, but that's the basic two-way distinction. Real life is much more nuanced, of course, and I haven't met a single Japanese man who didn't use both depending on the social situation and their conversation partner, but fictional characters tend to stick to one or the other.

Naegi used "boku". Hinata uses "ore". That fact alone puts them in very different boxes in the mind of the Japanese reader, without knowing anything else about the character. It's also something that can't be easily replicated in English. Thankfully, Kodaka is a good writer who makes the content of the characters' speech and their actions nuance their personality instead of relying entirely on easy stylistic choices.

So, what can I actually say about Hinata's personality that makes him different from Naegi? Quite a lot -- he speaks his mind, often without thinking. He's very direct. He takes sides. In short, he's everything that a "proper" Japanese shouldn't be, but without diving into the extreme personalities most of the other character possess. Linguistically, he uses the aforementioned "ore", speaks much more like a teenager than Naegi ever did (that is, when he's actually speaking and not narrating), and (perhaps most strikingly), doesn't use honorifics. The last of these is actually kept in this translation, but like everything to do with honorifics, it just flies over the head of most readers.

What else? When narrating, he's actually every bit as eloquent as Naegi was. His syntax may be a little looser and more colloquial, but his vocabulary, metaphors and similes are effective and not dumbed down in the least. I hope this comes across in my translation.

We will get into the details of the other characters' speech as we're introduced to them. The next update heavily features what I'm pretty sure is going to be one of our most controversial translation choices (you get a glimpse of it in the first update). Some people will hate us for it, but I think it works pretty well. But we'll talk about that next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

orenronen posted:

Translation/Japanese Chat with orenronen / 1

[...]

Naegi used "boku". Hinata uses "ore".

So what you're saying is that Naegi was Phoenix Wright and Hinata is Apollo Justice. Makes sense to me!

I mean, along with all the other personality differences and all. I'd almost venture to say that it almost seems like a trope, but two cases off the top of my head does not make a consistent writing choice.

• Locked thread