Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
That photo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
So, remember Louise Mensch, her fawning defense of NI, and her attempts to remain relevant through that horrible "menschn" thing?

Turns out that her business partner and "social media" expert Luke Bozier has interesting habits involving young women. See also here.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Heresiarch posted:

So, remember Louise Mensch, her fawning defense of NI, and her attempts to remain relevant through that horrible "menschn" thing?

Turns out that her business partner and "social media" expert Luke Bozier has interesting habits involving young women. See also here.

:crossarms: Unless he has the hands of a giant, his cock is nowhere near 9 inchs.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bioalchemist posted:

:crossarms: Unless he has the hands of a giant, his cock is nowhere near 9 inchs.

Shouldn't that be; the TINY hands of jailbait? If he wanted it to look like 9 inches.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
He's saying he saw the picture and if his cock is nine inches, his hands must be huge too because it looks shorter.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's also not uncut.

That man has no idea what's going on with his downstairs area.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's also not uncut.

Perhaps it just retracts easily? :gonk:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

How can you be smart enough to know about email alias yet not smart enough to figure out that a fresh account is going to be much harder/impossible to trace?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Whelp - that's certainly... disturbing.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How can you be smart enough to know about email alias yet not smart enough to figure out that a fresh account is going to be much harder/impossible to trace?

The Brook's thought formatting a hard drive meant throwing it away in a public trash can. These criminals aren't very sophisticated.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

ACanofPepsi posted:

The Brook's thought formatting a hard drive meant throwing it away in a public trash can. These criminals aren't very sophisticated.

Kinda makes me wonder what incredibly moronic things our generation of criminals is going to do. I mean, all of us are aware of how to electronically remove information and sign up for a free email account.

ETA: I know these particular individuals aren't convicted yet. Shouldn't have jumped the gun there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Grundulum posted:

I mean, all of us are aware of how to electronically remove information and sign up for a free email account.

As long as "all of us" doesn't include journalists for major Websites.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

And it gets worse for Bozier

quote:

Menshn co-founder Luke Bozier held over indecent images of children

Luke Bozier, the former business partner of ex-Tory MP Louise Mensch, has been arrested and bailed on suspicion of viewing or possessing indecent images of children.

Bozier, 27, was arrested at 1pm on Friday at a central London police station and released on bail until a date in early February.

He was questioned by Metropolitan police detectives on suspicion of viewing or possessing indecent images of children and released on bail later on Friday.

Reports published last week alleged that Bozier used an online alias to access a number of websites offering explicit photographs.

Bozier helped launch Mensch's social network, Menshn, in June but last week resigned from their company, MenschBozier Ltd.

Mensch said she had reported the allegations to the Met police.

"He resigned from the company and will not have a share in it," she told the Guardian. "It is with police now."

A former e-campaigns manager for Tony Blair, Bozier is a self-described "entrepreneur, politico and social commentator". He is the co-founder of two technology start-up companies, Menshn, and the online PR platform, Municipo.

Bozier said in a statement that he learned on 6 December that his private email account had been "maliciously accessed" and that those responsible had taken over his web domain names.

He added: "Deeply private and personal information was posted on the web, and allegations of illegal activity were made. I cut short a trip to the United States on the 6th [December] to request that the Metropolitan police carry out investigations into the alleged illegal acts. As a result I was questioned by police on Friday 7 December.

"We live in a society of laws and of a justice system that seeks the truth while protecting all of our rights. While some have sought to place me on – as Lord Justice Leveson puts it – 'trial by Twitter' – I am engaging in the appropriate legal processes to clear my name. I am deeply aggrieved that it is possible that people can get away with computer hacking behaviour which, without any check, balance, or justification in law, can destroy lives.

"It is now up to the police to decide whether or not I have committed an illegal act. I am co-operating fully and assisting in their enquiries."

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
This was the top comment on a Daily Mail article about the Duchess of Cambridge hoax suicide thing, with 3000+ votes, until a short while ago:

https://twitter.com/danbarker/status/277548645686067200

It has now been removed, presumably for cutting far too close to the bone.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Bozier posted:

We live in a society of laws and of a justice system that seeks the truth while protecting all of our rights. While some have sought to place me on – as Lord Justice Leveson puts it – 'trial by Twitter' – I am engaging in the appropriate legal processes to clear my name. I am deeply aggrieved that it is possible that people can get away with computer hacking behaviour which, without any check, balance, or justification in law, can destroy lives.

Good lord, the irony of this statement.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Brown Moses posted:

Mensch said she had reported the allegations to the Met police.

Brown Moses posted:

[Bozier] added: "I cut short a trip to the United States on the 6th [December] to request that the Metropolitan police carry out investigations into the alleged illegal acts.

It's this kind of coordinated strategy and proactive dynamism that made MenschBozier the fiercely brilliant star it was, as it crossed our heavens all too briefly

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Loonytoad Quack posted:

This was the top comment on a Daily Mail article about the Duchess of Cambridge hoax suicide thing, with 3000+ votes, until a short while ago:

https://twitter.com/danbarker/status/277548645686067200

It has now been removed, presumably for cutting far too close to the bone.

Amusingly, defending the press is now the reactionary position.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
ABC news 24 are apparently doing a simulcast of the lecture that Leveson will be giving tonight in Melbourne entitled "Hold the front page" if people are interested. It is due to start in 20 min.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Oh wow I hope we can download it afterwards. Thanks for the reminder

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010
I only caught the second half, but it surprised me that it seemed to focus on how everyone but the media had to change. There was a section about how we will have to change the way that police investigate, because hacking victims don't know that they are victims. The part about online media was particularly gross, saying we have to work harder to enforce laws against bloggers or we will be encouraging the traditional media to break the law.

There's a copy of the full text of the speech at the end of this story:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-12/leveson-calls-for-stronger-media-laws/4424574

quote:

He said if appropriate journalistic standards are to be maintained, more needs to be done to regulate those who work online.

"We will therefore have to think creatively about how we ensure that the law is capable of equal application, and is applied equally and fairly, against the mainstream media and bloggers, tweeters and other amateur online journalists," he said.

He warned that if changes were not made, there was a risk the established media would be tempted to cut corners or bend the law as it went up against amateur online journalists.

"It may encourage unethical and, potentially, unlawful practices to get a story," he said.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I was actually at the event and I feel like that is cherry picking what he said somewhat. The general idea was that all people should be treated equally in the eyes of the law, so if a blogger might be found to have done phone hacking or anything else unlawfully, then they would face the same consequences as a jour no.

Additionally, it was stated very clearly that he would not be discussing anything in the report as he is treating it as effectively being a judgement. So since the ways that the media need to change were covered so thoroughly in the report, it makes sense that this would not be covered.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
So Brooks has got a £11 million payout as a result of all this. I wonder if the Dowlers were as well compensated :(

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
A room freed up in their house.

Convert it to a gym or something?

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Congrats to our very own Brown Moses for winning the politics category of this years Golden Twits!

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

tentish klown posted:

Congrats to our very own Brown Moses for winning the politics category of this years Golden Twits!

Congratulations Brown Moses!

It's even more of an achievement considering you have the lowest number of followers of any of the finalists.

but the largest following on SA. :smug:

Twisted Perspective fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 14, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Congratulations on being a golden twit Brown Moses!

Twisted Perspective posted:

Congratulations Brown Moses!

It's even more of an achievement considering you have the lowest number of followers of any of the finalists.

but the largest following on SA. :smug:
Don't say that, he'll start paying for followers next :tinfoil:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

tentish klown posted:

I guess that puts BM in the running for Twit of the Year? How good is he at jumping over matchboxes and kicking beggars?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Yay, I'm number one at politics on Twitter, take that Dimblebot, Peter Manion MP from The Thick of It, and that cow from The Magic Roundabout.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Brown Moses posted:

Yay, I'm number one at politics on Twitter, take that Dimblebot, Peter Manion MP from The Thick of It, and that cow from The Magic Roundabout.

To be fair tis a grand specimen of a man who takes down the Dimblebot.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
On the other hand, beating that cow from The Magic Roundabout is a bit Mitt Romney.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I thought that this belongs here, given the circumstances:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KqjE3kTQlA

"The London Daily Mirror"

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There was a new Operation Weeting arrest out of nowhere today

quote:

Phone hacking: man, 46, arrested

A man has been arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice by detectives investigating allegations of phone-hacking, police said.

The 46-year-old was held on Wednesday morning at his home address in south-west London.

He was taken into custody at a south London police station for questioning, Scotland Yard said.

The suspect – who is not believed to be a journalist – is the 26th person arrested by officers working on Operation Weeting, the police investigation into claims that reporters hacked into mobile telephones to obtain stories.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "Detectives from Operation Weeting have this morning arrested a 46-year-old man at his home address in south-west London on suspicion of perverting the course of justice.

"He has been taken into custody at a south London police station, where he remains."

Operation Weeting is running alongside two other investigations: Operation Tuleta, a Metropolitan police inquiry into privacy breaches including the alleged hacking of computers and stolen mobile phones, and Operation Elveden, which is examining claims of corrupt payments to public officials.
Rather odd for their to be another arrest at this point in time.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

I've always presumed that a coverup within News International would involve some ICT staff at some point. Have any been arrested to date?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It goes to show that if you work IT for any company you really NEED to know your responsibilities under the law when it comes to storing data and what to do when your boss comes in and says "Quick delete all our emails and set fire to the hard drives!"

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Given Rebekah Brooks' husband was caught stuffing a laptop full of secrets in a bin I'm not so sure they had any IT advice at all.

JoeSchmoe
Jul 17, 2003

It seems that for Christmas, the guardian have a story about secret recordings of Murdoch trying to expand his influence...

(Not absolutely hacking related, but certainly confirms the extent of Murdoch's ambitions).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/dec/20/bernstein-murdoch-ailes-petreaus-presidency

Sorry if I'm repeating old stuff, I just got a kick out of Woodward and Bernstein still being awesome.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Quitter!

quote:

Phone-hacking: Hugh Grant in News of the World settlement

Hugh Grant has accepted a "substantial sum" after settling his legal claim over the News of the World phone-hacking scandal, his solicitor says.

The actor was one of the victims of the illegal practice which led to the closure of the newspaper last year by its publisher News Group.

His lawyer said the money would be donated to the Hacked Off campaign, which promotes a responsible press.

News Group settled 22 other cases earlier in December.

Grant's solicitor, Mark Thomson, said in a statement: "Hugh Grant has today settled his claims for damages and other legal remedies arising out of the unlawful activities of News of the World journalists and others over a number of years.

"News Group Newspapers have agreed to pay him a substantial sum by way of damages."

Mr Thomson also said the actor had "instructed us to donate all of his damages plus an additional payment from him to the Hacked Off campaign for a free and accountable media".

"A statement in open court will be made shortly in the new year," he added.

The NoW was shut down by owner Rupert Murdoch following the revelation the phone of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler had been hacked.

The scandal also led to the establishment of the Leveson Inquiry into press ethics, an MPs' inquiry and the launch of three police investigations into alleged widespread phone hacking and corruption.

Grant - who is a high-profile member of Hacked Off - has been one of the leading voices in the campaign for stricter regulation of the press.

He gave evidence to the Leveson Inquiry and said at the time it had become "extremely fashionable" to hate him and journalists were "entitled to their opinion".

However, he criticised press intrusion and what he called "lazy reporting".

"There has been a section of our press that has become allowed to become toxic over the last 20 or 30 years and its main tactic is by bullying and intimidation and blackmail," he said.

Meanwhile, some 100 UK editors and publishers, including The Sun's Dominic Mohan and Daily Mail editor Paul Dacre, have been meeting to discuss proposals for a new independent press regulator - as recommended by Lord Justice Leveson in his report.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

April Casburn, who offered to sell the NotW details of the pre-Hackgate Operation Varec, which focused around the activities of Andy Coulson:

quote:

Counter-terrorism officer in court for alleged leaks to News of the World

Det Chief Insp April Casburn is accused of offering the now-defunct tabloid information about Operation Varec, the investigation into whether the Metropolitan Police’s inquiry into phone hacking should be reopened.

She will stand trial at London’s Southwark Crown Court on one count of misconduct in public office, which she denies. The trial is expected to last a week.

Casburn, from Hatfield Peverel in Essex, is also facing a separate charge under the Official Secrets Act that can only be dealt with by magistrates.

It is alleged that she had secret documents at her home without permission to keep them there.

The 53-year-old detective was the first person to be charged under Operation Elveden, the Met Police inquiry into the bribing of public officials for information.

Formerly the head of the National Terrorist Financial Investigation Unit, which supports some of the Met's most sensitive counter-terrorism inquiries, she was arrested by colleagues from her own force in December 2011 during a dawn raid at her home in Chelmsford, Essex.

Her desk on one of the top floors of the Empress State Building base in West London was also searched.

DCI Casburn worked in the financial sector before joining City of London Police and later the Met, where she has headed up several fraud squads.

Martin Brunt and Danny Shaw are Tweeting from the trial, sounds like it'll last all week.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

she was arrested by colleagues from her own force in December 2011 during a dawn raid at her home in Chelmsford, Essex.
I know this is corrosive to your democracy and all, but this sounds like it would make a great movie. Her betrayed colleagues kicking down the door, searching the house, finding her waiting for them in a high-backed chair drinking brandy, where she delivers some sort of evil monologue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More from the trial today

quote:

Detective April Casburn: NoW cash claim 'ludicrous'

An ex-counter-terrorism detective has told a court it was "ludicrous" to suggest she offered information to the News of the World for money.

Det Chief Insp April Casburn said she spoke to the paper because she was angry resources were being moved from her unit to investigate phone hacking.

Male colleagues saw that inquiry as a "jolly" and a chance to meet celebrity hacking victim Sienna Miller, she said.

Ms Casburn denies one charge of misconduct in public office.

The charge relates to 11 September 2010 when Ms Casburn, 53, from Hatfield Peverel, Essex, was working in counter-terrorism, managing the National Terrorist Financial Investigation Unit.

Southwark Crown Court heard that one of her team was asked to carry out financial investigations as part of a Scotland Yard inquiry into phone hacking, Operation Varec.
'Regret decision'

It is alleged Ms Casburn rang the NoW's news desk at 07.51 BST to offer information in exchange for payment.

She gave the names of two of the people under investigation during the conversation, it is said.

Appearing in court, Ms Casburn said: "I regret the decision."

Asked by Patrick Gibbs QC, for Ms Casburn, about whether she offered to sell inside information during her conversation with the NoW, she said: "No. I find the whole sentence ludicrous."

Ms Casburn went on: "I felt very strongly that we shouldn't be doing hacking. Our function was to prevent terrorist attacks and I was particularly worried that the behaviour of my colleagues was such that they thought it was a bit of a jolly.

"They thought it was all going to be a bit of fun, getting to travel, getting to see famous people.

"I felt sufficiently strongly we should not be diverting resources which are to do with saving people's lives. It made me really angry," she added.

Frustration about this prompted Ms Casburn to contact the NoW on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on New York, the court was told.

She said she felt she could not speak out against the phone-hacking investigation plans, which had been re-opened by the then assistant commissioner John Yates.
'Denied a desk'

"I didn't believe I could make any difference to the decision-making around using counter-terrorist assets for the phone-hacking inquiry," said Ms Casburn.

Describing the "very male-dominated" atmosphere at her unit, Ms Casburn likened it to the TV series Life On Mars.

Some male colleagues had frozen her out, playing golf together, and she was "denied a desk despite being a chief inspector," the court was told.

She said she failed to give a coherent statement about the NoW phone call at the time of her arrest because she was under stress - in 2010 she was dealing with an acrimonious divorce and a failed IVF procedure with her new partner.

In a statement given to the court on Tuesday, she denied offering information to the NoW for money, explaining she did not need the money as both she and her partner were well paid, with substantial savings.

Earlier, the court also heard from Det Supt Dean Hayden who was the detective in charge of the 2010 hacking probe Operation Varec.

The trial was adjourned until Wednesday.

• Locked thread