Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
As ineffective as the walls have seemed thus far (when the titans have actually tried to get in) I'm starting to think the whole country is just a giant farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Niccy Bones posted:

Do the scanlations really need -san and sempai in them?

I think it's okay or at least tolerable in a Japanese setting, but it's totally egregious in any other setting, like this one. It outright pissed me off when I saw some scanlations for Vinland Saga putting honorifics in, it's like, "C'mon man, they're loving VIKINGS for Chrissake!"

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:

Recursive Expanse posted:

As ineffective as the walls have seemed thus far (when the titans have actually tried to get in) I'm starting to think the whole country is just a giant farm.

But the Titans don't get hungry, do they? What other purpose could it be for?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

DrSunshine posted:

I think it's okay or at least tolerable in a Japanese setting, but it's totally egregious in any other setting, like this one. It outright pissed me off when I saw some scanlations for Vinland Saga putting honorifics in, it's like, "C'mon man, they're loving VIKINGS for Chrissake!"

Thorkell-sempai! :swoon:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Niccy Bones posted:

Do the scanlations really need -san and sempai in them?

I'm more concerned by the fact that there are so many great threads facing humanity.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

miscellaneous14 posted:

Now that I've spent the entire day reading through this from the beginning after hearing about it just this morning, somehow I need to completely forget it exists so I can come back in a year or two when it's finally finished.

I love this series, it's like a mixture of a Junji Ito body-horror apocalypse extravaganza and a standard shounen, while also being a deconstruction of the latter because everyone who tries to do epic shounen stuff gets royally hosed in one way or another.

Yeah, I linked the trailer in the GBS youtube thread and said "people who try to pull DBZ poo poo end up as Titan chow" and someone responded with "dunno man, looks like some DBZ poo poo to me", which is exactly what I was implying, since isn't that final super-dramatic shot in the trailer of Erin jetting over and under stuff the scene where he gets eaten? It's been a while since I read the first chapters. Maybe I should go re-read them/the whole drat series again. :negative:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Did those guys not notice the guy who gets turned into paste in the trailer? Or the people getting grabbed and about to be eaten alive?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
It's kind of a Madoka Magica sort of thing where it's designed to pull in the normal demographics for that sort of media by directly emulating it, but then pulling the rug right under you and killing off important characters right after they're established. Especially if they try to pull any "friendship and OUR BELIEFS will win the day!" bullshit.

Why the gently caress isn't there more Japanese media like this or Dangan Ronpa?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sadly the animated version inherently loses the scratchy, unhinged nature of the art. It's one of those weird 'flaws' that just makes the comic better and cleaning it up loses that. :smith:

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I linked the trailer in the GBS youtube thread and said "people who try to pull DBZ poo poo end up as Titan chow" and someone responded with "dunno man, looks like some DBZ poo poo to me", which is exactly what I was implying, since isn't that final super-dramatic shot in the trailer of Erin jetting over and under stuff the scene where he gets eaten? It's been a while since I read the first chapters. Maybe I should go re-read them/the whole drat series again. :negative:

It is, I can't think of any other time he flits around like that except during training, and that takes place in the forest. Plus, the girl next to turned-to-paste-guy is one of the members of Eren's squad that gets annihilated in that scene.

The series is well worth a re-read, though, so go right ahead!

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Miffler posted:

Sadly the animated version inherently loses the scratchy, unhinged nature of the art. It's one of those weird 'flaws' that just makes the comic better and cleaning it up loses that. :smith:

On that note, I like that the characters' anatomy is looking more uniform and appropriate, but the same appears to be true of the titans and that just ain't cool. :(

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Kusaru posted:

It is, I can't think of any other time he flits around like that except during training, and that takes place in the forest. Plus, the girl next to turned-to-paste-guy is one of the members of Eren's squad that gets annihilated in that scene.

Yea its anime original, looks like they have switched up how he and his squad "die". The line hes saying is from an earlier point when the colossal titan attacks.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I just re-read the whole thing cause I could barely remember who anybody was besides Eren, Mikasa and Armin. Everyone with lovely memory like mine should do this, the story gets a lot better when you actually knows who everyone is.

Also, I noticed 3 things (dont think I need to spoil then, its old stuff):

1- inst a bit suspicious when Christa conveniently shows up with spare horses during the expedition right when Armin, Jean and Reiner were completely hosed up? Also, later when they are by the trees preventing titans from entering the forest, Christa is missing.

2- does anyone else noticed the Annie's father face is not visible on any of her flashbacks? It might just be bad art, but I think that probably means he is someone important, maybe some character we already know.

3- Inst a bit absurd that nobody knows anything about the outside world or how the walls came to be? Is like it happened in some very very distant past and all was forgotten, but that just dont add up. First, according to "official" history, humanity erected the walls just 107 years ago. I understand that the King and the church are working to keep people ignorant about it, but is too recent: Eren great-grandfather, for example, ought be alive before the walls. So how come not even some oral stories survived about what happened? Also, they are a pretty advanced society, the have books, newspaper etc. How come all history was lost like that in a little more than a century?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 12, 2012

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

later when they are by the trees preventing titans from entering the forest, Christa is missing.

Having re-read myself because of the trailer. No, she isnt.

edit: vvvvvv Because they were separated and she is wondering where her friend is. Remember they are spread out around the forest. Here she is later, having not gone anywhere.

.Clash fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 12, 2012

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

.Clash posted:

Having re-read myself because of the trailer. No, she isnt.

A few pages later she is:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/48480/shingeki-no-kyojin_v7_ch27_by_tdx/3

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Elias_Maluco posted:

3- Inst a bit absurd that nobody knows anything about the outside world or how the walls came to be? Is like it happened in some very very distant past and all was forgotten, but that just dont add up. First, according to "official" history, humanity erected the walls just 107 years ago. I understand that the King and the church are working to keep people ignorant about it, but is too recent: Eren great-grandfather, for example, ought be alive before the walls. So how come not even some oral stories survived about what happened? Also, they are a pretty advanced society, the have books, newspaper etc. How come all history was lost like that in a little more than a century?

If I remember the history books correctly, they implied that people retreated to the walled cities when they had nowhere else to go. The walls were already there, outside of a small elite nobody knows when and how they were built. The cities proper were all built on purpose together with the walls (remember? they work as titan bait), the scattered villages probably didn't even notice they were being walled in

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Giggily posted:

I'm more concerned by the fact that there are so many great threads facing humanity.

God this poo poo made this a pain to read at times. It's got so many little problems everywhere - worst comes to worst, go there this instance, defence, etc.

At any rate, read through the whole thing and am more or less loving it. The manga suffers pretty bad from same-facing, it can be really hard to tell who's talking to who. The hair styles don't differentiate the characters enough.

Not gunna lie, I was a bit disappointed at the start when Eren turned into a titan. I was honestly hoping he was just dead, if only for the fact it'd be interesting and something not really done to kill off the 'main' character right at the start, then use the rest of the story to show how the rest of the characters react and respond to the death. Also I was hoping it'd just be a story about humans fighting titans without too much anime magic mumbojumbo, but it's going in an interesting direction so I'm not really caring about it anymore.

Also, totally calling it now that Eren's dad is the colossal titan from the very start.

On the one hand, I do enjoy the slower-pacing of the story. On the other, it's going to take us loving years to ever find out what's in the goddamn basement.

e: ahahaha

lil baby anime posted:

Finished reading up to the latest chapter and drat this is quite a cliffhanger. I was hoping they'd go straight to the basement to figure out exactly what his dad did to him but it seems like it's gonna be awhile before that happens.

A year and a half later, and we still aren't really anywhere closer to the basement at all.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 12, 2012

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The biggest question I have for the anime is how the hell they'll get anywhere in the story when we haven't gotten anywhere in the Manga.

Seems like it'd be easier for the author to just tell the whole story he's planned out to the storyboard artists and let the anime go farther ahead of the manga.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012
Well if the anime is 13 episodes long, and the prologue is told in one episode, then the anime would probably end on the last few pages of chapter 14. I'd say that that would be a fitting end for the first season.

They'll hopefully pull a Bakuman and wait for a year or so to pass before they put out the next season. Instead of making an anime original ending and making it impossible for another season to come out without having to retcon the ending.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
Ha ha I thought it was Annie when I was reading through the forest fight sequence. I was right after all.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Man, this is such a good manga. I just reread the whole thing, which helped a lot. I'd forgotten a lot of details in the long gaps between chapters. I mean heck, I had basically no idea who Ymir was until the last couple of chapters, so it was nice to go back to the training arc and see her and Christa and Sasha forming their group and actually knowing where all their stuff was going.

As of this last chapter, I think we finally have some real distinctive moments for each and every one of the training squad. Connie and Sasha found their villages, Christa and Ymir had their flashback, Reiner and Bertholt are about to have a flashback of their own... after all these years and one reread, I finally understand who the heck everyone actually is.

One interesting character detail I just picked up on is how in Sasha's flashback to her time training, she was being made fun of for the way she spoke. Ymir was pissed at her for denying her background basically, and said that she wasn't being herself unless she spoke naturally. Christa disagreed, denying that there was any "true self" or whatever to begin with.

Of course, now we know that Ymir started a new life and kept her old name, while Christa seems to have done the same, but left her old name behind.

I thought it was a neat detail.

Thinking Ymir's case over more as I read all this again, particularly considering the whole religion thing and the living titans in the walls and Ymir's ability to read the can Reiner couldn't, and the fact that she was apparently mindlessly killing people five years ago, I think there's not much doubt about the general gist of her story.

Long ago, before humanity retreated to the walls, titans were people who sacrificed themselves "to save a great many people," (somehow). Once they transformed they lost their minds, but they also lived forever, so 100 years later the titans invading through wall Maria were all once people before the fall. One of them managed to transform back into a human, in a way that we might end up learning (or getting hints about) in Reiner and Bertholt's upcoming flashback.

Thinking about the origin of the titans more broadly, if even the mindless killing machines were originally trying to save a great many people, then mightn't their purpose not be to kill all humans? I mean, for some reason that's what they do, but maybe they were made to kill something else, or maybe a different hostile group of people... like some sort of biological equivalent of nuclear weapons developed as a Strangelove style doomsday device to prevent a war, as a war where titans were employed would destroy everything.

Maybe, if that's the case, the development of the walls (using the same magic/technology/medicine that developed the titans) ruined everything. Once the leadership of one side had a reliably nuke-proof bunker, a first strike was possible, as there was no fear of retaliation, or the indiscriminate nature of the weapon in this case.

Though... if that's how it was, and the priests knew it, I don't see why they'd keep the nature of the walls a secret. Maybe it's because the fact that the walls are titans is kind of proof that the people who made the walls and the people who made the titans were one and the same?

But even then, as things are going horribly wrong here, the priest is sure that, "There's something more important than preventing the destruction of humanity" at stake. Maybe there's an even more important role the titans are playing, maybe there's something even more dangerous than titans out there in the wider world... and maybe there's something out there worth protecting- worth sacrificing all of humanity for out there. Something important that the people inside the walls could harm somehow, so the Titans are there to keep them inside and away from the Precious Thing.

Maybe there's something out there that can save all the people in the walls. After all, the priests have a religious objection to sealing the gates- perhaps that's because they know they'll have to let something in eventually. Or out. Or something.

So many mysteries! And the great bit is that this manga's been coherent and logical enough in the past that you feel like there really is some way to make reasonable assumptions and narrow down the possibilities. I don't really expect any of this speculation is true, but it feels like it could be, which makes it fun to speculate.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Titans and the wall were humanity's last defense against the deer invasion. Most titans no longer attack wildlife because they understand that they have no chance of winning. Sasquatch is part of a titan supremacist faction, and gives no fucks. He will use a scaled-up model of the 3D gear he stole to attack the deer god from Princess Mononoke and lose decisively.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Titans are a limiter placed on the Spiral race in order to avoid detection from elder things beyond the stars.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It is all just a very large and complex social experiment, taking place in a walled-off preserve or artificial island about 1000 km square. Civilization continues apace outside, as some sort of high-tech futuristic society, either beyond the confines of the experiment zone, or in outer space, watching from above.

Disposable Intern
Aug 26, 2008
Around 10 last night I glanced in here and thought "hey, might as well peek at this"...
I caught up at 1:30ish. This thing is insane.

The sheer attrition rate on mankind is staggering. There will just be a one-page cut away of a full patrol mangled and being eaten. The fights remind me of that youtube video of 30,000 honey bees slaughtered by 30 wasps/hornets, just an unwinnable conflict.
I really want to talk about how sad the characters deaths are especially ch4 and the suicide squads from the forest (seriously, that one guy :smith:. But everyone else has already said whatevr I'd want to say anyways.
What scares me the most in the Titan designs (and this goes for Berserk's demons as well) is how completely at peace they seem. Murder is simply their basic nature.

Really, thanks for the thread.

Disposable Intern fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 13, 2012

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
I wonder how the anime will work because the manga is still ongoing. Are they just going to bullshit an anime original ending. Also hilarious that Aku no Hana is published in the same magazine considering how screwed up that manga is.

Oh Snapalope fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 13, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Oh Snapalope posted:

I wonder how the anime will work because the manga is still ongoing. Are they just going to bullshit an anime original ending. Also hilarious that Aku no Hana is published in the same magazine considering how screwed up that manga is.

They probably won't make the series totally self-contained in one season. It will probably be a multiple-season affair. SNK is really popular.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

They probably won't make the series totally self-contained in one season. It will probably be a multiple-season affair. SNK is really popular.

Don't underestimate any given anime studio's ability to botch a show. They will probably mangle the plot completely after a certain point, but up til then we might get well animated 3d gear scenes.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

codeorange posted:

Well if the anime is 13 episodes long, and the prologue is told in one episode, then the anime would probably end on the last few pages of chapter 14. I'd say that that would be a fitting end for the first season.

Oh god, the potato.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I just caught up with this manga today and Jesus Christ what the gently caress did I just read. :stare:

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Wandering Knitter posted:

I just caught up with this manga today and Jesus Christ what the gently caress did I just read. :stare:

Welcome to our hedonistic hell.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/89451/shingeki-no-kyojin_v4_ch17_by_gantz-waitingroom/34

Gee I wonder what these super secret metals could possibly be?

You know there's just so much foreshadowing in this manga that I don't know what the hell to expect anymore.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

It is all just a very large and complex social experiment, taking place in a walled-off preserve or artificial island about 1000 km square. Civilization continues apace outside, as some sort of high-tech futuristic society, either beyond the confines of the experiment zone, or in outer space, watching from above.

War. War never changes...

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

codeorange posted:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/89451/shingeki-no-kyojin_v4_ch17_by_gantz-waitingroom/34

You know there's just so much foreshadowing in this manga that I don't know what the hell to expect anymore.

Guys, guys I got it.

We tell them it's got like, secret metal ingredients. They'll be all "Hey what's in this???" and we'll be all "No way dude TOP SECRET INDUSTRY TOWN SECRETS, take your non-industry rear end back over to Bakery Town, idiot"

It's really just an iron/tin steel alloy.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
It's all a metaphor for one man's fight against paranoid schizophrenia.

Or the St. Elsewhere route where this is all a little boy's immune system fighting to keep him alive.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Captain Capacitor posted:

Or the St. Elsewhere route where this is all a little boy's immune system fighting to keep him alive.

I want this to be true.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

codeorange posted:

If it turns out that all of their swords are made out of hardened titans then I don't know man TITANS ARE EVERYTHING

Thoren
May 28, 2008
The titans are the true combatants of this war. Humans are just being used as a tool of defense by the city titans.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DrSunshine posted:

It's all a ploy to develop people and techniques that are capable of fighting mythological monsters. Other enclaves have humans beseiged by goblins, faeries, karakasa, manicores, trolls, etc..

The ultimate goal is to train a force capable of matching humanity's actual enemy: space dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Schwarzwald posted:

It's all a ploy to develop people and techniques that are capable of fighting mythological monsters. Other enclaves have humans beseiged by goblins, faeries, karakasa, manicores, trolls, etc..

The ultimate goal is to train a force capable of matching humanity's actual enemy: space dragons.
So Advance of the Giants is an alternate universe of Dark Sun? I can dig it.