Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pester
Apr 22, 2008

orenronen posted:

So, what can I actually say about Hinata's personality that makes him different from Naegi? Quite a lot -- he speaks his mind, often without thinking. He's very direct. He takes sides. In short, he's everything that a "proper" Japanese shouldn't be, but without diving into the extreme personalities most of the other character possess. Linguistically, he uses the aforementioned "ore", speaks much more like a teenager than Naegi ever did (that is, when he's actually speaking and not narrating), and (perhaps most strikingly), doesn't use honorifics.

Maybe his secret is that he'll turn out to be an American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

My first major impressions with this cast was "OH MY GOD FAT TOGAMI" and also my second and third.

^this.

I also approve of this thread. Fantastic Early Christmas Present.

Thank you guys!

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

orenronen posted:

We will get into the details of the other characters' speech as we're introduced to them. The next update heavily features what I'm pretty sure is going to be one of our most controversial translation choices (you get a glimpse of it in the first update). Some people will hate us for it, but I think it works pretty well. But we'll talk about that next time.
Ok so my guess after reading the first update is that you are talking about Usami baby speech. Can't wait until the story behind that from you and Fedule, because I guess japan doesn't have a speech like that....but I could be wrong, anyways I love these segments.

majokko
Oct 9, 2012
I really love what you've been doing, both with the original DR LP and this one so far, Oren and now Fedule, too!

majokko fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 12, 2012

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

orenronen posted:

The problem with literal translations is, of course, that things break down once a crowd who doesn't know much about Japanese language and culture tries to read it. Which is to say, most people just want to enjoy the story and not worry about such foreign concepts to an English speaker as what first-person pronoun a certain character uses or what unusual sentence-final particle they like. In fact, I find that most English readers prefer conversation to simply sound natural, and that on its own strays from how Japanese genre fiction tends to be written. In Japan, characters in games such as this one deliberately speak in a way no one in real life really does. Writers employ a truckload of established syntactic and stylistic shorthand to assign easily perceivable character traits to the speaker. This happens in English too, of course, but not nearly to the same extent.
So I did the stupid thing after some person mentioned going on tumblr to check the reactions to the DR2 LP being posted, and decided to check myself. I found a whole bunch of complaints about the looseness of the translation (and specifically that Fedule is changing stuff up without knowing a word of Japanese), but I think you've nicely addressed a lot of the reasons for their concerns. There's one arguing that Hinata's been written to sound more formal, but as a native English speaker who's never seen how the original goes, I can't really tell that he's excessively formal, beyond the one instance where the character himself pointed it out.

Which is just a roundabout way of saying that though we're in obviously very early days reading about the thought processes as you two make your way through will be very interesting. And if tumblr reads the thread and this post, we're only one update in and just getting a handle on these characters, so chill the gently caress out.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
Wow I loved reading that post. As a translator myself, I'd love to continue to hear you talk about this kind of thing, because one of my huge pet peeves is seeing stuff that is written readably and engagingly in Japanese turn into a horrible mess in English because of bad translators wanting to make things as direct as possible at the cost of natural linguistic flow.

Now I know what my friends talk about when they swoon all over my angry diatribes about lovely translations. :swoon:

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Baita posted:

Anyone who's already spoiled that can find a larger size of this?

Here's a larger, promotional version of that picture. Not quite wallpaper size, but better than what you can get off the PSP screen.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

That's really interesting, oren! Hinata being an "ore"-user instead of a "boku"-user makes a lot of sense, and the personality bits you've mentioned make me really intrigued to see how he's going to function as our protagonist. Overall, Hinata seems very focused on being active and decisive as opposed to Naegi's passivity, and it's interesting that that's even reflected in their backstories: Hinata being obsessed with Hope's Peak and presumably having worked hard to get his invitation (or crash the proverbial party), versus Naegi receiving his invitation by chance and being more focused on his friends. Having an opinionated protagonist is an interesting choice given how often protagonists in this sort of game are blank slates, and I hope it'll address some of the complaints people had in the last thread about Naegi being ineffectual.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Yeah the whole Hinata vs Naegi is interesting. One of the things I'm looking forward to now, is how Hinata will react to the death game. With Naegi's personality and the fact that he was the protagonist it clearly told us that there was a very low change of him murder someone and so his role in the story was very predictable in that way, but with this info on Hinata's character I'm very interested on how he will react to everything and how he will lead the trials.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

IceBorg posted:

Yeah the whole Hinata vs Naegi is interesting. One of the things I'm looking forward to now, is how Hinata will react to the death game. With Naegi's personality and the fact that he was the protagonist it clearly told us that there was a very low change of him murder someone and so his role in the story was very predictable in that way, but with this info on Hinata's character I'm very interested on how he will react to everything and how he will lead the trials.

I think he'll probably react with horror at the possibility of the good name of Hope's Peak being slandered and probably refuse to murder someone because of that. Can't fall too far from the tree, he is the protagonist.

And although it isn't a huge leap to figure this out at all from what we've learned, a friend of mine gave a really good, succinct name for what is (probably) Hinata's SHSL Skill:

Super High School Level School Spirit

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
It's going to be great when we have another update with names and we'll be able to just use those. :allears:

This is already looking great, you two.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Calling it now.

Super High-School Level Distraction did it. Because nobody ever suspects the obvious sex appeal character.

Now what she did, I have no idea.

Wait, that's almost what they went with for DR1... gently caress. I guess I can always blame the chef. He's the closest thing to a butler in this cast so far.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

IceBorg posted:

It looks like our new protagonist is going to be a more assertive character than Naegi was. I wonder how this will translate outside of trials as well.

Maybe Hinata will be more active in attempting to find a way to escape the despair game and figuring out what's going on.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

That's really interesting, oren! Hinata being an "ore"-user instead of a "boku"-user makes a lot of sense, and the personality bits you've mentioned make me really intrigued to see how he's going to function as our protagonist. Overall, Hinata seems very focused on being active and decisive as opposed to Naegi's passivity, and it's interesting that that's even reflected in their backstories: Hinata being obsessed with Hope's Peak and presumably having worked hard to get his invitation (or crash the proverbial party), versus Naegi receiving his invitation by chance and being more focused on his friends. Having an opinionated protagonist is an interesting choice given how often protagonists in this sort of game are blank slates, and I hope it'll address some of the complaints people had in the last thread about Naegi being ineffectual.

I think Hinata's obsession with Hope's Peak Academy will be a major part of the plot - he wants to get in so badly, yet unlike the meek Naegi, he has not mentioned why he got to enter at all. He's probably just a skill-less pretender like somebody suggested earlier.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I did something very similar to what Fedule is doing with this LP on a fan translation patch and I can say for a fact that the process of editing is somewhat trickier than it appears, especially when the only way to contact the translator is by an email or pm. Also, like Fedule, I don't know a lick of Japanese, so it was often me sending multiple messages trying to find the best way to word a sentence within the character limit and getting into fights over how liberal the translation should be.
It does happen that you get a ton better at the job as you go along and get a handle on the language and dialogue you're expected to produce so I have high hopes for this LP. For myself, since it was the first time I ever worked on such a big project, I went from being extremely careful and only correcting typos and weird wording to outright rewriting sentences when I felt that there was a better, more in-character way of putting it.

Well, it was one of the more interesting Internet things I've done so yeah, just wanted to say a thing in support of Fedule's work.

Stratavarius
Nov 6, 2012
The chef is reminding me a lot of Anpanman, and with the way DR likes to make cultural references I wouldn't be too surprised if that was intentional on some level. I'm looking forward to seeing where a lot of these characters end up going.

Also, I like the little anecdotes from Fedule and Orenronen. Translating it so it is easy to read is certainly a big task, but I always like seeing how those decisions come to be.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I think the interesting thing here is going to be the fact that this time we have the first game to base our expectations on. In DR 1 they could basically do anything because nobody had a goddamn clue about what was going on or what would happen. It was all a mystery and the twists were mostly based on the truths behind it.

I'm willing to bet that at least to some degree DR2 is going to focus on screwing with those expectations. Yeah, we have a bunch of people in a classroom with the cute mascot appearing just like before, but this time the devs know that we know what's going on. Since the game is aimed at people who have played the first game, it's the perfect opportunity for the writers to really mess with things since they have full knowledge of what the player expects from the premise and storyline. Fatogami is a good first example of using something players immediately recognize from before, without DR1 it'd just be some overweight guy we know nothing about.

It'll be interesting to see all the things they can pull off. Also the reactions right after updates which is the reason why I read the actual thread. :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I almost missed the thread, how unthinkable. Really digging the music link layout and the gifs, I had to check my eyes when it started flickering :v:

I like sailor moon girl, silly expressions always amuse me.

So of course I'll guess she's the first to die or something as characters I like always seem to go.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

VanSandman posted:

Wait, that's almost what they went with for DR1... gently caress. I guess I can always blame the chef. He's the closest thing to a butler in this cast so far.

SHSL Tim Curry, eh?

I think Kanfy hit the nail on the head and I, too, am really excited looking forward to how our expectations get messed around with. I think the character designs are the very first piece of that. We're basically a couple minutes into the game and we're already tying characters from the first into the second. Which makes me all the more curious for how Zero ends up tying into it and how having it come out serially will effect our thoughts on the characters and drive speculation. This thread is a sociology experiment waiting to happen.

Good luck and godspeed Oren and Fedule. And don't listen to tumblr. They don't know what's good.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Since this is Anti-DR so far, I fully expect that it will be one big group therapy session and everyone will come out of the experience prepared to take their place in the adult world that totally isn't ruined by war and famine.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

slowbeef posted:

This thread is full of a lot of ... kinda crummy posts.

There's a couple rulebreaking low-content things that I've hit for, but this is pretty much 11 pages of repeated posts like "Here's what I think about the art of this one character, and who it could possibly be a retread of in the first game" ad nauseum. I understand there's obviously not much to talk about based on one update, but it's mostly 11 pages of just that.

I'm asking that you refrain from anything but SHSL-level posts, and at least check the last couple of pages to make sure you're not repeating what someone else has said. We don't want the thread to get the reputation that it's only worth it to read the OP's posts this early on.

edit: I will admit to doing this myself, but after reviewing the past 11 pages, I think we need to exercise some restraint is all.
Yeah, I sometimes enjoyed reading the speculation and discussion in the first thread, but... the thread already had thirteen pages by the time I found it, half a day into its life. That's pretty absurd. Skimming through trying to find Orenronen's and Fedule's posts, it looked like a pretty repetitive stampede to wonder aloud, "oh boy, what's going to happen?". I'm already wishing there was something like the "?" filter that worked for two authors at once.

I guess things might slow down after the initial excitement wanes. Hopefully, anyway.

slam5000
Aug 19, 2012
So I took a closer look at the hex characters in the beginning, the only thing I could find is that it is a repeating pattern. I transcribed the full pattern below. As far as my knowledge of these sorts of things goes, these aren't english ASCII codes as they have numbers in them that exceed the highest value on a standard ASCII table. If I had to guess, they're probably Japanese codes. It's up for speculation though, your guess is as good as mine. The only strange thing I did notice is the large number of 82s. It could also just be some meaningless number sequence that only makes sense if you've seen its actual reveal in the game, who knows.

code:
C9 91 AB 82 FO 93 A5 82 F1 92 A3 82 E7 82 C8 82 AF 82
EA 82 CE 82 C8 82 E7 82 C8 82 AD 82 C4 81 41 0D 0A 96
6C 82 CD 83 49 83 60 83 49 83 60 96 B0 82 E9 8E 96 82
E0 82 C5 82 AB 82 DC 82 B9 82 F1 81 42 0D 0A 5C 0D 0A
82 C5 82 E0 81 41 96 6C 82 C9 82 CD 82 BB 82 EA 82 AA
82 C6 82 CA 82 54 82 72 82 E5 82 A8 82 C1 82 B4 81 42
0D 0A 5C 0D 0A 97 68 82 EA 82 CD 94 F1 8F ED 82 C9 95
73 8B 4B 91 A5 82 C5 81 41 0D 0A 8F AC 82 B3 82 C8 97
68 82 EA 82 AA 98 41 91 B1 82 B5 82 C4 82 A2 82 BD 82
C6 8E 76 82 A6 82 CE 81 63 0D 0A 5C 0D 0A 93 CB 91 52
81 41 91 E5 82 AB 82 AD 97 68 82 EA 82 BD 82 E8 82 B5
82 DC 82 B7 81 42 0D 0A 5C 0D 0A 82 BB 82 CC 93 78 82

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It's Shift-JIS.

slam5000
Aug 19, 2012
OH! That explains it! drat you're fast. I'll try to look into what they mean when I get home from school. Until then, if any goons want to try and beat me to it, be my guest!

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

slam5000 posted:

OH! That explains it! drat you're fast. I'll try to look into what they mean when I get home from school. Until then, if any goons want to try and beat me to it, be my guest!

I'm conflicted about that. I know what the Japanese text behind the codes reference, and it will not make any sense at this point in the game, but it's still semi-spoilerific.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

orenronen posted:

I'm conflicted about that. I know what the Japanese text behind the codes reference, and it will not make any sense at this point in the game, but it's still semi-spoilerific.
Kinda like the Space Journey part in the first game? Well, except that you didn't had to decipher anything in that intro.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
We can just go back to it when it's relevant.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Re: Despair-Syndrome

What is that thing...?
Um... I think it's a stuffed doll...
...Thaaat's wight. I'm a stuffed doll. I'm made of felt.
My name is "Magical Girl Miwacle ★ Usami"... but you can just call me Usami!
I'm your teacher, everyone.
Pweased to meet you!

If you thought getting one elderly voice actress to play a bizarre stuffed toy was tough, here they are doing it again. Usami is voiced by Takako Sasuga, who plays Sazae-san’s son, Tara-chan, in the very very long running animated family sitcom “Sazae-san”. She has been doing it every week from 1969 to this very day, one of the few Sazae-san actors who have never been replaced.

Re: Weekly Shonen Despair Magazine

H...Huh? Am I hallucinating? I...Is everyone else seein’ this?

I can see it too...

Hey, why is that chihuahua talking?!

Eh?! Is that thing a chihuahua?!

Do you know what a bunny wabbit is, everyone?
It's a vewwy wuvly animal with fwuffy fwuffy fur.

That's what I am! I'm a singing, dancing, talking bunny wabbit mascot!

W...Wait a second! Let me put my thoughts in order, please!

Go wight ahead!

Um, you're with me, guys, right?
I've never heard of such a thing as a singing, dancing, talking stuffed doll...

I...It must be moved by remote control... It's nothing but a noisy child's toy...

That kind of movement? From a remote control? This isn't toy-level technology...

The problem isn't how this thing is moving. It's what it seems to be saying.

You know, don't you. You know what kind of situation we're in...!

Of course I know! I'm the supervising teacher for this field twip, after all!

Field trip...?

What do you mean, "field trip"?

It means a school event where students go on a twip and perform gwoup activities under the supervision of a teacher!
W...We weren't asking for a definition...

Let's get going! Your fun field twip starts nooow!

...Starts?

Click for video! (Youtube via Polsy)

Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson

I highly recommend clicking that music link there.

...What...
......What......

I couldn't trust my own eyes.

Not just my eyes. I couldn't trust my mind...

I couldn't trust the world itself.

The classroom broke apart as if it was the set of a play, and then, before our eyes...

...Was a blue sky and white clouds...
...A blue sea and white waves...

...What the hell is this?!

However you approached it, it was abnormal.
Clearly outrageous.
Completely absurd.

And so, thoroughly... wrong.

Wha... wha...

Whaaaaaaaaaaa?!

It's a trick, right?

W...Where are we?!

W...Why?! How?!

Hey, everyone! Pwease calm down!

Pwease! Pwease! There's no need for panic! Take a good look around!
It's a beauuutiful sea, isn't it...? Can’t you already feel your soul cleansing?
Every bad thing is being waaashed awaaay...

Wait. We want a detailed explanation! Where in heavens are we?

Where...? It's obvious, isn't it...?

Somewhere! Beyond the sea!

Can’t you see?!

Originally, Usami performs the first line of Ryuuha Hayashi and Takeshi Inoue’s classic government-approved kindergarden song “Umi” (“Sea”) to explain to our cast where they are. It goes, “The sea is wide! The sea is large!”

W...We know we’re by the sea, but... why are we here?!

You know... if you keep shouting like that your thwoat is going to get sore.

But... it's most strange that there should be an ocean here... We were at the school but a moment ago...

Pweease west assured, that was just our field twip's beginning!

What's up with this sudden field trip, huh?! This is all going way too fast!
S...She's right...! We all came here because we just got into Hope's Peak Academy.

Oooh. Hope's Peak Academy... I see...
You're still wowwied abowt Hope's Peak Academy! In that case...

Pwease forget all abowt it! That's what this field twip is aaall abowt!
...Huh?

What do you mean, "forget all about it", you bastard?!

Oy. Who are you? What are you scheming?

Howawa? I am not scheming anything! I'm doing all of this for you!
More than anything, I pway that a biiig "hope" grows inside your hearts!

That's why this island is fwee of danger! So don't be afwaid, okay?

Island...? Did you say "island"?

Yep! This is a beauuutiful southern island.
There is nothing to be afwaid of here. There aren't even any other people. It's an island made juuust for you.
A...A desert island?

Don't tell me... you're going to make us kill each other on this uninhabited island...?!

Howawa! K...Kiwweachother?!

G...God forbid!
Violence, hurting other people, and other such wild activities are forbidden on this island!
"Kiwwing"... even just saying the word out loud...

Kyaa! Scawy!

In that case, what's the point of this "field trip"? What are you going to make us do?

It's time for my speech!

Everyone. Pwease stwengthen your bonds of fwiendship as you enjoy your pweasant stay on this island!
This is the rule of this "Heart-thumping Field Twip"!

Heart-thumping... Field Trip...?

Pwease waise your hope as you enjoy quiet, peeeaceful days where noothing happens, no one gets hurt and no one suffers...
This is what this wuvly, wuvly "Heart-thumping Field Twip" is all about...

That's the assignment I'm giving you on this island!
Wha...!
What... the hell...?!
Um, and so...

Beautiful Days [Piano Arrange]

Let our "Heart-thumping Field Twip" begin!!

It goes without saying, but I couldn't keep up.

There was no way I could keep up.

And then, as if a thick curtain dropped down on me...

...I went blank.

DANGAN ISLAND (Youtube via Polsy)

orenronen fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 5, 2013

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Ditocoaf posted:

Skimming through trying to find Orenronen's and Fedule's posts, it looked like a pretty repetitive stampede to wonder aloud, "oh boy, what's going to happen?". I'm already wishing there was something like the "?" filter that worked for two authors at once.

Here's the next best thing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So, if Usami isn't going to force them to murder each other, then what will make them do that? (I'm assuming that there will be murders and subsequent murder mysteries.)

We're meant to infer that somebody took these students and moved them to a remote location in order to escape the Most Despair-Inducing Event, which of course began at Hope's Peak Academy. I'll guess that this is a group of underclassmen.

Prediction: the island isn't just in the middle of nowhere, but is inaccessible for some other reason (possibly it is not an island at all?).

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
I am at a loss for words on how awesome this is. :allears:

And I certainly can't wait to see some of these mysteries unfold. Literally can't wait. :negative:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Oh my god, that opening sequence. Did we just get dropped into some sort of dating sim?

orenronen posted:

Hey, why is that chihuahua talking?!
Well, chalk SHSL Dog Expert off for Akane :v:

orenronen posted:

Best expression of the update.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The soundtrack continues to deliver! :syoon:

And... and that is Togami!? :psyduck:

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 12, 2012

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Gundam Tanaka?!? That is the best name! They are just making him not have any lines on purpose now.
And yep that's totally DR1's Togami, it was too funny not to be true.

Well at least we have full names already. Oh and that Monomi song is quite awesome I must say.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
...Well that is certainly a way to introduce the cast, alright.

Love that Usami/Monomi got the pink background for her portraits, makes a nice contrast with Monobear's red.

Also, could you guys make the voice clips a bit louder? Tindeck tends to play the music loud, so I tune my sound system down, which means I have to make it louder again when a voice clip comes up. And the volume slider is way too small to use comfortably there.

Meanwhile, the purple-scarved Gundam keeps silence.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012

IceBorg posted:

Gundam Tanaka?!? That is the best name! They are just making him not have any lines on purpose now.
And yep that's totally DR1's Togami, it was too funny not to be true.

Well at least we have full names already. Oh and that Monomi song is quite awesome I must say.

So, I did read that right? That dude's name really is Gundam?

This is the best game.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
poo poo, Togami's loving doomed.

Also, interesting that Nagito "not Naegi" Komaeda's first thought is towards killing each other.

ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Huh, this makes me wonder what the excuse plot for animes killing each other is this time. I guess i'll find out next update. Already there's some great cliffhangers here, also Monomi's song is cool.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Am I the only who thinks the music links could stand to turn down the volume? The default just about burst my eardrums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Punk girl has the best sprites. (So far, anyway.)

orenronen posted:

Don't tell me... you're going to make us kill each other on this desert island...?!
Well, that's an interesting assertion, Mr... *checks video* Nagito Komaeda? Huh.

• Locked thread