Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Hogburto posted:

A top source of DMCA takedowns was just a guy who knew how to use the NZBMatrix website.
Take a deep breath. Relax in your bunker for a while if you like, but don't set the timelock on the blast door. Just don't.

I'm not hunkering down - I don't take any of this that seriously. Just pointing out what to me seems to be obvious.

Anyone who makes money off of this type of enforcement has more than enough incentive to figure out where to look now that NZBMatrix is gone - the fact that they were low hanging fruit doesn't mean everything else is insanely complicated or impossible to penetrate. My point was, if one or two guys can write Sickbeard - for free - then certainly these companies do the same with their own system that works in the same way - search for shows (ones they are paid to watch out for) and generate DMCA takedowns, via the API that virtually all the large Usenet hosts now provide, automatically. If a show is re-uploaded or renamed, do it again. This is in fact exactly how it is happening now - these takedown firms aren't employing hundreds of temps to scour NZBMatrix and the forums, that's more of a side hobby for them. The real work is automated from start to finish. They've said as much and it isn't hard to believe given that it's exactly how things work in the other direction.

It's done on a per-show basis, and some providers are slower than others (due to automation or some other process, and you better believe the slow ones are getting massive heat for it). That's the only reason it's not completely widespread yet.

I'm not forecasting doom and gloom - really, I don't care that much, it's not the end of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jerry SanDisky posted:

iTunes isn't susceptible to DMCA stuff.

Yea, if you arn't pirating things you dont need to worry about DMCA takedowns.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Jerry SanDisky posted:

iTunes isn't susceptible to DMCA stuff.

And waiting a year after airing to watch a show will help develop a zen-like sense of patience, so it's win-win.

EDIT: It will now be three years as they have to wait for the offical broadcaster of uzbekistan to secure the permission of the songwriter for the song that played over the radio in that one scene, as they only secured broadcasting rights initially.

EDIT2: Due to EU regulations, it can no longer be viewed in france, belgium, or the netherlands after 11pm, except on alternate thursdays.

EDIT3: Due to details of an agreement between Viacom and Reynolds Holdings Inc., this episode is no longer for sale, and watching this episode in Canada is now legally considered a war crime.

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 12, 2012

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Well Played :golfclap:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone know if there is a mobile front end for Dognzb?

Danforth05
Jun 11, 2011

Why is mice sech cowards?
Anyone here use two separate providers as backups?

I currently use Supernews for my main provider with a few gigs from Blocknews as a backup. Would it be a good idea to invest in a second backup from, say, a Highwinds reseller?

Can't say I've run into any DMCA problems, but I figure that if a certain item receives a takedown notice, more backups are better since there is a greater chance that one of them will drag their feet and I'll be able to squeeze in my download.

Or is this overkill since I already have a backup and haven't experienced any problems as of yet?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
This whole thing has kicked me into updating all of the stuff, but i've hit a snag.

I've updated SABnzbd to the latest version (0.7.6), tied it all in with sickbeard nad super-news (the connection tests say good) and set up the post processing, but I can't get it to work and nothing ever begins downloading (or appears in the history or queue screens).

It does this irrespective of whether something is sent from sickbeard, a nzb is told to be sent to it from firefox or when it adds a nzb from my desktop.

Usually one of these should work, but I can't figure out why SAB is refusing to activate anything.

edit: I think I tracked it down to a pre user script setting. It was on, but is now off. What's that supposed to do?

Kin fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 12, 2012

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Kin posted:

This whole thing has kicked me into updating all of the stuff, but i've hit a snag.

I've updated SABnzbd to the latest version (0.7.6), tied it all in with sickbeard nad super-news (the connection tests say good) and set up the post processing, but I can't get it to work and nothing ever begins downloading (or appears in the history or queue screens).

It does this irrespective of whether something is sent from sickbeard, a nzb is told to be sent to it from firefox or when it adds a nzb from my desktop.

Usually one of these should work, but I can't figure out why SAB is refusing to activate anything.

edit: I think i tracked it down to a pre user script setting. It was on, but is now off. What's that supposed to do?

Any errors? Can you ping your provider's servers? Did you pick a DMCA'd .nzb somehow?

Edit: Did that script fix your issue?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Illuminado posted:

Any errors? Can you ping your provider's servers? Did you pick a DMCA'd .nzb somehow?

Edit: Did that script fix your issue?

Yeah, that did the trick.

Also, I got rid of the double instance thing I mentioned a few pages back (in regards to adding a nzb to SAB direct from firefox) by removing nzbdstatus but I constantly get the "choose action" popup whenever clicking a download nzb link.

This happens even though i've told firefox to use/send to SAB as the default action.. Is there a way to get rid of that for good or is it just a firefox bug?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Danforth05 posted:

I currently use Supernews for my main provider with a few gigs from Blocknews as a backup. Would it be a good idea to invest in a second backup from, say, a Highwinds reseller?

Can't say I've run into any DMCA problems, but I figure that if a certain item receives a takedown notice, more backups are better since there is a greater chance that one of them will drag their feet and I'll be able to squeeze in my download.

Or is this overkill since I already have a backup and haven't experienced any problems as of yet?

are blocknews a highwinds reseller?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ixian posted:

I'm not forecasting doom and gloom - really, I don't care that much, it's not the end of the world.
It isn't the end of anything. You're being dramatic.

Danforth05
Jun 11, 2011

Laserface posted:

are blocknews a highwinds reseller?

It's Readnews, isn't it? At least, according to the chart posted by Nitr0 a few pages back.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

Danforth05 posted:

I personally have supernews as a cheap monthly plan then blocknews, astraweb & newsdemon block plans which barely get touched. Might be an overkill but block plans aren't exactly $$$$. Going by this diagram each provider is totally separate which may or may not help in regards to DMCA takedowns. Certainly they haven't bothered me at all lately but I guess it depends on what you download.

Oh and I also have a free XSusenet account which is rubbish but hey it's free! :v:

edit: these are the totals from sab, block plans will last for ages with the fairly small amount I download

Softcox fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 12, 2012

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Danforth05 posted:

It's Readnews, isn't it? At least, according to the chart posted by Nitr0 a few pages back.

Does anyone know about Newsgroup Direct, that service offering that 1 TB lbock plan deal today? They're not on any of the reseller lists I've seen. BlockNews is my main and I'm happy with them, but that's looks like a hell of a deal.

Danforth05
Jun 11, 2011

quote:

Does anyone know about Newsgroup Direct, that service offering that 1 TB lbock plan deal today? They're not on any of the reseller lists I've seen. BlockNews is my main and I'm happy with them, but that's looks like a hell of a deal.

They're a Highwinds reseller, again according to the diagram Softcox just linked. I assume it's correct.

Does Astraweb offer SSL with their block plans? I can't find any documentation, which makes me think they don't.

edit: Thank you for the info, Softcox.

Danforth05 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 12, 2012

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Danforth05 posted:

Does Astraweb offer SSL with their block plans? I can't find any documentation, which makes me think they don't.
I use SSL on my Astraweb block, which I'm sure is the same setup no matter what size block you buy.

Danforth05
Jun 11, 2011

Hogburto posted:

I use SSL on my Astraweb block, which I'm sure is the same setup no matter what size block you buy.

Ah, okay. I had to sign into my account on their website to find the secure servers. Thanks.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
If I understand DMCA take downs right, when the Usenet provider gets a DMCA take down notice, they just take down enough blocks so that they can't be repaired/extracted, correct? If so, one would assume that if the Usenet providers' wallets started to be heavily affected by take down notices, the major resellers could start collaborating with each other in secret. If Usenet provider A corrupts blocks 1-100 and provider B corrupts blocks 101-200, then they would both be complying with the DMCA but any users that have both providers could still get the complete set. Am I missing something here or would this work?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

If I understand DMCA take downs right, when the Usenet provider gets a DMCA take down notice, they just take down enough blocks so that they can't be repaired/extracted, correct? If so, one would assume that if the Usenet providers' wallets started to be heavily affected by take down notices, the major resellers could start collaborating with each other in secret. If Usenet provider A corrupts blocks 1-100 and provider B corrupts blocks 101-200, then they would both be complying with the DMCA but any users that have both providers could still get the complete set. Am I missing something here or would this work?

Mostly they just take it down entirely. If they did what you're saying, sure it could work, but its not really very likely to happen.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

That would be entering the turf of conspiracy and could potentially endanger them to lawsuits.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The stupid thing is that going after indexers makes these guys' jobs harder. Eventually they're going to have to spend the money/time to run their own indexer just to get the information they need to send DMCA notices.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Was Nzb.su taken down? I can't seem to get there but the API feeds still seem to be working. I flushed dns and still have nothing.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

YouTuber posted:

Was Nzb.su taken down? I can't seem to get there but the API feeds still seem to be working. I flushed dns and still have nothing.

Try https://nzb.su/index.php Works here.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

YouTuber posted:

As has been stated several times over the past few pages. They took down their frontpage but the rest of the site is accessible.

Be sure to type this in manually VVVV
http://nzb.su/login

cycleback
Dec 3, 2004
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
How good a deal is the http://newsgroupdirect.com/terabyte-tuesday

1 Tb = $40

offer that was mentioned earlier?

And has anyone actually used this provider?

cycleback fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 12, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

cycleback posted:

1 Tb = $40

I've been with them for nearly 2 years and I'm not looking to switch any time soon.

1 TB for $40 a good deal and runs about once a month.
I believe Astraweb always offers that for $50.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Look! A Reddit user did something useful! He found this!

http://www.legalmetric.com/cases/copyright/txnd/txnd_306cv00338.html

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Interview_with_Usenet_search_sites_targeted_by_the_MPAA

Turns out Joseph Morganelli (the troll who is leading the dmca charge on usenet) was found guilty of copyright infringement in 2007 by running an indexer!. He owes 15 million but I guess he is doing this in return. Did he think the Internet would just not find out?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

suddenlyissoon posted:

Did he think the Internet would just not find out?

Why should he give a poo poo?

Aws
Dec 5, 2005

Ixian posted:

the reason Usenet has exploded is because a variety of excellent, well-designed automation tools have sprung up around it, turning what used to be an onerous process in to something easier than Tivo.

I wish they would take the hint. I don't use Usenet because I'm cheap, I use it because it's my only choice as a non-US resident. Other than ordering DVDs online or paying for TV provider and not having any control over what I want to watch and when to watch it, this is the only way I can actually watch TV. Everything else tells me "Sorry, you're not in the US so stick your money up your rear end." It's the same with the music industry. I can't wait for the loving old men running Big Media to retire and let less retarded people take over who will actually let me give them money. Steam figured it out, and in a few years I've happily paid for 200+ games. I haven't not paid for a game in years.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Nevermind misread.

ClassH fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 12, 2012

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Aws posted:

I wish they would take the hint. I don't use Usenet because I'm cheap, I use it because it's my only choice as a non-US resident. Other than ordering DVDs online or paying for TV provider and not having any control over what I want to watch and when to watch it, this is the only way I can actually watch TV. Everything else tells me "Sorry, you're not in the US so stick your money up your rear end." It's the same with the music industry. I can't wait for the loving old men running Big Media to retire and let less retarded people take over who will actually let me give them money. Steam figured it out, and in a few years I've happily paid for 200+ games. I haven't not paid for a game in years.

Yeah same here, you don't wanna be that guy who tries to justify pirating poo poo, but when you just want to watch a tv series while its new and before its spoilered to hell, it gets frustrating, especially when you'd be perfectly happy to watch it while it airs with commercials and all if you had that option.

If you want to watch The Colbert Report in the UK, there is literally no way to see it, no network broadcasts it. Its sometimes on iTunes but the season pass costs more than a cable package (Which doesn't broadcast it here anyway), so your only option which isn't a bit morally grey is to pay several hundred dollars each month for just a few seasons of shows which is prohibitively expensive.

I looked into something like Hulu Plus using a vpn but they've gone out of their way to block overseas people from subscribing, which is presumably due to pressure from networks so I don't blame Hulu for that but it doesn't leave many options. I try to go out of my way to avoid spoilers but still had so many tv shows spoiled for me thanks to someone posting a image or comment on facebook/twitter etc so by the time it finally rolls around to being shown I already know most of the episode outcomes. Even if itunes or a similar service did a all you can eat package for $100 then I'd be happy with that.

Sorry for the derail, I know its well worn ground but its frustrating that there isn't just some unified option by all the networks for consumers to easily get content, and peoples response is often 'You just want free poo poo you entitled gently caress :smug:'.

Aws
Dec 5, 2005
It's not even free stuff. Still have to pay for Usenet, which is $30 per month on GN. At least you get the option of iTunes. I don't even get that because iTunes blocks me. Same with Hulu, as you said.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

elwood posted:

Why should he give a poo poo?

He's apparently gone to great lengths to hide it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

suddenlyissoon posted:

He's apparently gone to great lengths to hide it.

I don't think it's that big a deal though. If anything it makes him smarter than many people thought - gets busted, comes up with a way to pay his fine back by turning "informant" of a sorts. It's hardly unusual in the justice system, it just seems novel in this context.

Also, aside from public scorn (which he was already getting in spades) what does it matter? It's not like he'll have to stop once this is widely known.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I think the real void here is caused by lack of good private indexing software. Newsnab is a loving disaster of a program. Awful to set up, they have absolutely no idea how security works (the guide is constantly telling me to chmod poo poo 777, this is dumb), it's hodgepodge, running php cli scripts are ok it all seems so hacked together.

Makes me think the 15$ paid version is an even bigger piece of crap.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

FYI: .su VIP subscriptions are finally available again. Subscribe now if you don't want to lose your free account.

I'd like to be more specific, but I'm not sure how much information mods here are comfortable with me posting. I've lurked SA a long time, but never in threads as under-the-table as usenet. Is it okay for me to share indexers here? Is this thread public?

EDIT: Nevermind. I sent them a brief message after obtaining VIP access and they replied: "We didn't re-enable, you just met the necessary requirements (arbitrary numbers) in order to see it ;)"

IRSmurf fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 12, 2012

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

cycleback posted:

1 Tb = $40

Using right now.

Works pretty good!

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

LmaoTheKid posted:

Makes me think the 15$ paid version is an even bigger piece of crap.

The difference is that the paid version actually works. But yeah it's still terrible.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

IRSmurf posted:

FYI: .su VIP subscriptions are finally available again. Subscribe now if you don't want to lose your free account.

I'd like to be more specific, but I'm not sure how much information mods here are comfortable with me posting. I've lurked SA a long time, but never in threads as under-the-table as usenet. Is it okay for me to share indexers here? Is this thread public?

EDIT: Nevermind. I sent them a brief message after obtaining VIP access and they replied: "We didn't re-enable, you just met the necessary requirements (arbitrary numbers) in order to see it ;)"
Thanks for the notification. I enabled VIP today. Id love it if you or someone could share what indexers were opened for registration. I have always just used nzbmatrix and nzb.su but with the former being gone I feel a bit naked only having one indexer left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Syano posted:

Id love it if you or someone could share what indexers were opened for registration.

As would I.