Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Orgophlax posted:

WHAT to me is the new "THIS IS BORING" chant since it usually happens (now at least) when the crowd is uninterested.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was getting at, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
How come Andy Kaufman isn't in the HOF? I'm pretty sure he's the only celebrity inductee hardcore fans won't take issue with.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Saul Goode posted:

If wrestlers didn't want to be WHAT-ted.

Then they shouldn't.

All speak.

Like this.

When they cut.

A promo.
Sometimes it makes it easier to bear if I imagine that Jake Roberts is just standing in the corner of the ring, slowly shaking his head.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Halloween Jack posted:

Sometimes it makes it easier to bear if I imagine that Jake Roberts is just standing in the corner of the ring, slowly shaking his head.

Every time.

Someone cuts a promo.

Like this.

In that monotone voice.

Jake, Roddy and Mick all shed.

A single tear.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I like What chants kind of because of how lame and drawn out so many WWE promos are like how the previous poster said they pause every phrase. So if WWE wants them to stop just change the way the promos are cut but if you don't then get used to them. Put on a more consistently exciting product and people will be happier to react the way you want them to.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I think the pauses in promos may have started because of Harley Race and his calm intensity. But his pauses meant something and weren't inserted nonsensically to disrupt flow and automatically make whatever he was saying a bit worse.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

getitoffgetitoff posted:

How come Andy Kaufman isn't in the HOF? I'm pretty sure he's the only celebrity inductee hardcore fans won't take issue with.
Well the most recent article CNN did on (I think) the anniversary of Kaufman's death, Lawler refused to be interviewed for it when he's usually pretty forthcoming about it. I think Vince didn't like Lawler doing the movie and it's probably something as petty as that.

Plus I'm sure there are some that think he just made a mockery of the business (even though he really liked and respected it).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cavauro posted:

I think the pauses in promos may have started because of Harley Race and his calm intensity. But his pauses meant something and weren't inserted nonsensically to disrupt flow and automatically make whatever he was saying a bit worse.
That's funny because he's a guy I'd single out as not doing that, and as the complete opposite of the WWE promo style. He finished complete sentences and left a brief pause for gravitas.

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011

Orgophlax posted:

Plus I'm sure there are some that think he just made a mockery of the business (even though he really liked and respected it).

Is that really a common sentiment? I mean, I'm sure Vince thinks that because it's a thing he didn't come up with.

I'd put Kaufman/Lawler as the best wrestling angle of all time, easily. I can't think of anything that seems more 'real', even now.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Pauses became regular when promos had to be remembered instead of being improv.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Sears Poncho posted:

Is that really a common sentiment? I mean, I'm sure Vince thinks that because it's a thing he didn't come up with.

I'd put Kaufman/Lawler as the best wrestling angle of all time, easily. I can't think of anything that seems more 'real', even now.

When you think about it, Kaufman/Lawler retroactively fits in with Vince's obsession of making wrestling mainstream, so he should be fine with it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Ross and Lawler were both in the movie and WWE even covered how Lawler had beef with Jim Carrey on the set, which was a failed attempt at recreating the worked shoot of Kaufman/Lawler.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Was there any serious chance of them landing Jim Carrey to do an appearance on Raw or a PPV after that happened? If I remember right, WWE was at it's absolute hottest when that went down, but even so, I can't see them realistically getting an A-list movie star to work an angle with them.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

TL posted:

Was there any serious chance of them landing Jim Carrey to do an appearance on Raw or a PPV after that happened? If I remember right, WWE was at it's absolute hottest when that went down, but even so, I can't see them realistically getting an A-list movie star to work an angle with them.

No because they had to do the angle twice to get people to report on it the way they wanted to.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I just can't see the WWE ever inducting a dead celebrity who worked for a different promotion. As many people hve said, the HoF is basically a marketing stunt that doubles a a nice way to honor people on good terms with the WWE who contributed to the industry. There's nothing really objective about it, and I don't even hold that against the company.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Thauros posted:

I just can't see the WWE ever inducting a dead celebrity who worked for a different promotion. As many people hve said, the HoF is basically a marketing stunt that doubles a a nice way to honor people on good terms with the WWE who contributed to the industry. There's nothing really objective about it, and I don't even hold that against the company.

I would love to see Tony Clifton give a hall of fame speech though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

TL posted:

I can't see them realistically getting an A-list movie star to work an angle with them.

I'm just kidding, Rock's not A-list.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

I totally deserved that.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Halloween Jack posted:

That's funny because he's a guy I'd single out as not doing that, and as the complete opposite of the WWE promo style. He finished complete sentences and left a brief pause for gravitas.

Yeah, Harley's promos were very measured and concise because he's the kind of person who never says any more than he needs to, and it left you with the impression that he was going to straight-up murder anyone who got in the ring with him.

Modern WWE promos sound like an Intro to Improv class final project, and Randy Orton used to be especially bad with his delivery. He sounded like he was an eighth grader deepening his voice to impress a girl.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

If you take a look at "that promo" everyone always cites, it's about 50/50. It is just one promo though, so I guess I'll take your word for it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Cavauro posted:

If you take a look at "that promo" everyone always cites, it's about 50/50. It is just one promo though, so I guess I'll take your word for it.
On reflection, you're right; he does employ a lot of pauses. It's just that his style is so matter-of-fact and conversational compared to what passes for promos among most of the WWE.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

TL posted:

I totally deserved that.

Of course, I have a feeling the WWE pays Rock more than he gets paid to do a movie in Hollywood and he doesn't have to show up for the same amount of days.

Arnold once showed up to promote End of Days. The WWF immediately gave him a title belt and he got to bitchslap Triple H. Because he's Arnold, Triple H will never get even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-9ibRc91gY

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
HHH is the worst with those pausy promos. It's bad enough he's basically been delivering the same message for 10 years whenever he gets a mic, can you pick up the drat pace. Rock nailed it with his impression.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Of course, I have a feeling the WWE pays Rock more than he gets paid to do a movie in Hollywood and he doesn't have to show up for the same amount of days.

I really, really doubt Rock makes anywhere NEAR as much in WWE as he would make for a Hollywood movie.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
He's going to be everywhere in 2013. I think at least two of these come out before WM.

2013 Snitch (completed)

2013 The Fast and the Furious 6 (post-production)
Luke Hobbs

2013 Pain & Gain (post-production)
Paul Doyle

2013 Empire State (post-production)

2013 G.I. Joe: Retaliation (completed)
Roadblock

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

I really, really doubt Rock makes anywhere NEAR as much in WWE as he would make for a Hollywood movie.

Honestly depends on the movie. I think Forbes claimed Rock made $35M in 2011 and nobody was sure how that broke down. After their terrible breakdown of NHL profits I don't really trust Forbes anymore.

I always heard Rock made more than Mayweather did for his Wrestlemania appearance.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Pauses became regular when promos had to be remembered instead of being improv.

This is never more obvious than when CM Punk is doing an off-the-cuff promo and the words just flow casually and naturally from point to point.

The Miz's two best times on the mic were when he spoke from the heart about how lovely he was treated backstage when he first came to WWE and the time him and Morrison bickered while doing guest commentary on ECW (which many said was to the detriment of the match itself).

There is no doubting wrestlers are performers, but most of them sure as hell aren't actors and giving them all the same generic promo doesn't help matters at all.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jerusalem posted:

There is no doubting wrestlers are performers, but most of them sure as hell aren't actors and giving them all the same generic promo doesn't help matters at all.

I think a huge problem with companies like the WWE bringing in TV script writers is they are used to working with actors who are experienced with having to learn a lot of lines in a short amount of time. They are also used to actors getting a few more takes if things gently caress up. What they should be hiring is soap writers who are used to silly plots, long term storylines, twists beneficial to the viewing audience and taking limited actors (there isn't a James Franco in every soap) and giving them a fuckton of lines that they learn how to recite in short time.

If not, WWE should have an actors studio in FCW/NXT. Hell, is there any programs like that at Full Sail? I always remembered hearing that Jon Morrison and the Rock took acting classes while wrestling (Rock took his during his break after being booed out of buildings, before he joined the Nation).

Wrestling promos is unquestionably an acting art that may always receive less credit than it deserves. A friend of mine who works/worked as a pro wrestler and a manager is an absolute genius at promos. You give him a setting and an opponent and he'll have a five minute promo on the guy off the top of his head. What's sad is this didn't used to be genius in the wrestling business. Every guy should have had that skill if they wanted to make it to TV. Today you just have to remember some bad lines and hopefully show some personality at the same time. It's sad.

I always wondered how Jericho fared with the Groundlings because wrestling and imrpov seem to be a match made to me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
They say the way you practice is the way you'll perform. That's why the WWE needs to have an acting workshop where the coach says "What?" when you forget your lines or indulge in Shatnerian pause. I am not kidding. This is not a joke. They need to help these guys.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, just get a dozen people to WHAT them, throw popcorn over a railing at them, tell them they suck then have them inevitably brawl with someone else if it's a contract signing.

Immersion therapy.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I think a huge problem with companies like the WWE bringing in TV script writers is they are used to working with actors who are experienced with having to learn a lot of lines in a short amount of time. They are also used to actors getting a few more takes if things gently caress up. What they should be hiring is soap writers who are used to silly plots, long term storylines, twists beneficial to the viewing audience and taking limited actors (there isn't a James Franco in every soap) and giving them a fuckton of lines that they learn how to recite in short time.

Unless Vince or one of the higher-ups is instructing them to write WWE shows like a sitcom or a soap (wouldn't surprise me), the writers shouldn't be that brain-addling stupid to not realize there are some key differences between those and a wrestling show and adjust accordingly. A huge problem is that they're hiring hacks who can't fulfill their basic job description. :argh:

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
To me the phrase and pause promo style seems to be a result of building promos so they can easily be used in recaps and video packages. Take Punk's shoot for example, great promo but it wasnt as easy to pull main points out of for a package like a Cena or Sheamus promo would be.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
What moves have been specifically banned by the WWE and they don't use then anymore, and who has exceptions on them?

I know Tombstones are basically Undertaker only, and Power Bombs are banned except for Ryback I think, but what else?

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

Flare_knight posted:

What moves have been specifically banned by the WWE and they don't use then anymore, and who has exceptions on them?

I know Tombstones are basically Undertaker only, and Power Bombs are banned except for Ryback I think, but what else?

Shooting Star splash is pretty controlled. Piledrivers are pretty much Lawler only and he doesnt even do them anymore.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

He still teases doing it on screen, but Orton's Punt has been rumored to have been legitimately banned.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Bocc Kob posted:

Unless Vince or one of the higher-ups is instructing them to write WWE shows like a sitcom or a soap (wouldn't surprise me)

I think that's exactly what they do. One thing I really noticed around the time Stephanie took over creative was that they started employing those long "dramatic" soap opera stares after a backstage confrontation. I think it's really lame to have the camera linger backstage after people are done talking when all you're showing is someone awkwardly staring into space or at the floor for what feels like eternity until they fade to commercial or the next segment.

I swear I remember reading an interview where Stephanie specifically said they would be introducing more soap opera touches like that, because hey, it's a soap opera for guys!!! :downs:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thauros posted:

He still teases doing it on screen, but Orton's Punt has been rumored to have been legitimately banned.
It's not a rumor. He came out and said it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Flare_knight posted:

Of all the people allowed to do the powerbomb, how come it's The Ryback who gets the exception; though this is incorrect since Sheamus' finisher once was a powerbomb, but I hope this isn't the reason Antonio can't do the Riccola Bomb.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Orgophlax posted:

Has Undertaker ever taken part in a comedy segment? Nothing to the degree of Kane I'd imagine, but I'm wondering if he's ever allowed some levity into his character.

It's not intentionally funny, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOXDiiSKZVQ

2:40 starts the funny part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Hockles posted:

It's not intentionally funny, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOXDiiSKZVQ

2:40 starts the funny part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2q8vfuFans