Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalen Noreth
Oct 23, 2012

Fedule posted:

Edge case:

Shouting -> Showting (ow-ih) - dangerous because of the existing word "show", but ultimately much more likely to be read like the "show" in "shower"

Hace posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I dunno if "showting" really works here.

It's not just you. It could go either way, but I don't really mind it as much as I feel like I normally would. I do enjoy the way you guys implemented the speech though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

loquacius posted:

Hm. Come to think of it, if we're assuming an even 50/50 gender split here like there was in DR1 (if you count Chihiro as a guy), that means the York-alike is probably a dude too. I stand corrected, I suppose.

or maybe one of the female students is actually a guy and vice versa for York.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

DaveWoo posted:

Well, that's an interesting assertion, Mr... *checks video* Nagito Komaeda? Huh.

Maybe he just realized the blatant battle royale homage :iamafag:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I can't wait for someone to die, (unless it's Teruteru, Nekomaru and Ibuki) because I want to know if the blood is still pink!

Also, there seems to be a theme of bandages on the characters (Ibuki, Gundam and Mikan)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

might be wrong, for some reason I keep thinking "Nurse" for Mikan, but guess we'll see soon enough.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Fedule posted:

There are songs about the sea, but none that I can count on being sufficiently well-known to justify referencing.

Not even this? It immediately came to mind for me, at least.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

loquacius posted:

Hm. Come to think of it, if we're assuming an even 50/50 gender split here like there was in DR1 (if you count Chihiro as a guy), that means the York-alike is probably a dude too. I stand corrected, I suppose.
If I'm counting correctly (and my math/gender role skills were always suspect), you'd still have one "extra" girl if that were the case.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Dragonatrix posted:

Not even this? It immediately came to mind for me, at least.

There's always something.

I've never heard it, though. Clearly my pre-school educators were woefully inadequate.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Xander77 posted:

If I'm counting correctly (and my math/gender role skills were always suspect), you'd still have one "extra" girl if that were the case.

You're not counting correctly. I kept coming to the same conclusion until I realised that Hinata isn't in the pictures because Hinata is our point of view character.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Are you operating under the assumption that Kazuichi (sharktooth skaterpunk) is a girl? I don't THINK that's the case, but maybe I'm wrong here.

Can anyone who knows things about Japanese names help us out here, or are the names ambiguous?

e: Also, question for Oren or anyone else who can read Japanese, is Sonia Nevermind's last name actually a transliteration of "nevermind" or is it the Japanese word for "never mind"?
e2: She doesn't LOOK like a Nirvana fan... :crossarms:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 12, 2012

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

RentCavalier posted:

EDIT: Oh wait, duh. It's his son. Byakyu Togami the Second.

Nagito is Naegi and Kirigiri's child. This game takes place 20 odd years later. Hope and Despair are battling each other in the post-Event world, and this island is yet another staging ground for a metaphorical debate amongst the emotions.

There, solved it. Best detective, right here. Give me my cookie.

That's what I was thinking, too. I'm still not convinced that this Togami is the real deal. I'm even less convinced that Nagito is Naegi, since he's a bit too tall to be our old protagonist. It could be a growth spurt, but remember that two extra years passed before the start of the first game (making a sudden growth spurt less likely). I'm thinking it has to be a red herring.

Assuming that there's a 20-year time gap involved, I'm guessing this island trip is intended as a sort of secret "entrance exam" for the new Hope's Peak Academy. After all the damage Junko did to the school and the world, I'm sure a reopened Hope's Peak would want to test the character of its students to prevent another Super High-School Level Despair.

BliShem
Dec 21, 2008
I wonder, is Gundam an actual legitimate Japanese name, or is it like naming your kid Optimus in the west?

Poor Togami.. Another class, another stuffed animal.. How can the same poo poo happen to the same guy twice?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
I'm not convinced that Col. Togami Sanders and Nagito are returning contestants...yet... but for my speculation dollar, I'm more willing to wonder how much more difficult the future murders may be to solve since this group of students are on a large deserted island opposed to a large, but enclosed school.

Let's face it; an island means more places, possibly more HIDDEN places to do the dirty deed and there's a ton more ways to dispose of bodies for that matter.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nah, what actually happened was that I counted the faces in Apples and Oranges' post and completely ignored the bit where he said we don't have a sprite for Gundam.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I already want an Ibuki avatar.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Sonia Nevermind's name is a "Who's on First" joke waiting to happen.

"Who do you think killed him?"
"Nevermind."
"Never mind? Someone's dead!"
"I don't know why you're shouting, I answered the question."

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
That can't be the DR1 Togami. It just can't. I mean, I know dealing with Fukawa on a daily basis has to be insanity-inducing. But.

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.
...I'm going to miss Syo, I just know it. Well I suppose there's not much room for a serial killer on a deserted island, so...I'll be watching with rapt attention regardless! Perhaps something better than Syo will make itself known! :syoon:

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
I'm waiting until I like a character to see if I want to shell out 5 bucks for an avatar. Right now, it's either 'get one of the Chihiro avatars from the last thread' which'll take forever to find, or get one of the girl with the demon horns.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

legoman727 posted:

That can't be the DR1 Togami. It just can't. I mean, I know dealing with Fukawa on a daily basis has to be insanity-inducing. But.

Why do you think he'd want to gain weight? To turn Syo off from him!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

BliShem posted:

I wonder, is Gundam an actual legitimate Japanese name, or is it like naming your kid Optimus in the west?
The later, I think. I've never heard of a character in any Japanese media with the name.

EDIT: yeah, according to wikipedia the word came from:

quote:

The Yatate team combined the English word "gun" with the last syllable of the word "freedom" to form the name Gundom. Tomino then changed it to the current title, suggesting that Gundam signified a powerful unit wielding a gun powerful enough to hold back enemies, like a hydroelectric dam holding back floods.[8]

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 12, 2012

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, Gundam is not a real Japanese name, and "Tanaka" is one of the plainest and most common surnames in Japan.

So our ninja/wizard/whatever dude is named the equivalent of "Optimus Smith."

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Queued up some more people for low content posts. No cares about avatars you want, stop congratulating someone on just posting a loving thread and stop speculating on the entire game's plot, we are two loving updates in.

edit: And yes, we know someone is gonna die in a murder mystery plot! Stop just guessing who it could be!

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 12, 2012

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Weird, the Blackout wasn't quite the same as last time.

I mean, Hajime sounds like he's malfunctioning lol.

also the names....DR2 staff are so.....idk what's the adjective for it.

Hajime? Owari? Gundam is lolwut. Teru teru as in Teltel?Cat puns ahoy for Nekomaru I'm sure, but Sonia Nevermind? That's a bit more Grandoise than Celestia Ludenburg for sure. I could not hold a straight face for what looks like our Fukawa x Kirigiri cross over. Peko Pekoyama? lol.

I love you DR2~

huh, didn't catch the Makoto Naegi da. nice one guys.

Also that Opening gave me Umineko throwbacks.

I like.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

slowbeef posted:

edit: And yes, we know someone is gonna die in a murder mystery plot! Stop just guessing who it could be!
Ahhem. I believe we were explicitly told that this is going to be a peaceful tropical vacation with absolutely no kiwwing.

I for one, am looking forward to a game centered around wacky romantic comedy in a sand and surf environment.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
Well, Jesus, if she's going by "Sonia Nevermind" that actually goes a long way to answer my question of "Where's the eerily-similar-to-Celes influence supposed to be?"

Cluzic
Oct 29, 2011
I could buy the "Nagito is Naegi and he is infiltrating Despair Island with Togami" theory. I do think it's odd that Togami would use his real name, but I can imagine the reason is something like this.

: Alright Togami-san! We're going to be infiltrating the Super High School Level Despair Island Resort. From now on we should refer to each other by code names.

: My codename is Nagito Komaeda. What should I call you?

: Naegi please!

: I will not sully the Togami family name by hiding it behind some stupid, lazy anagram!

: Seriously, "Nagito Komaeda"? Did it take you all afternoon to come up with that one?

: ...It took the better part of Thursday.

: Yeah... my real name is fine.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

loquacius posted:

e: Also, question for Oren or anyone else who can read Japanese, is Sonia Nevermind's last name actually a transliteration of "nevermind" or is it the Japanese word for "never mind"?
It's the transliteration. With a European given name, I wouldn't expect her to have a Japanese family name.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Hiyoko Saionii
A small typo here: she's Saionji.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

SingerOfW posted:

It's the transliteration. With a European given name, I wouldn't expect her to have a Japanese family name.

A small typo here: she's Saionji.

After writing a thirty page research paper about post-WWI Japan, I'd have been happy to never see the name Saionji again. (Prince Saionji was a pretty decent person, but you'd tire of anyone after reading a certain amount about them)

Knowing Japan, there's probably some horrible anime where all the genro are portrayed as schoolgirls.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

slowbeef posted:

Queued up some more people for low content posts. No cares about avatars you want, stop congratulating someone on just posting a loving thread and stop speculating on the entire game's plot, we are two loving updates in.

I think because you seemed to take something of a hands-off approach in the last thread, while being very active in posting, people have lost the fear of god. I'm really glad I'm not the only one noticing all the low content posts. This thread has a lot of potential, frankly even more than the last now that orenronen seems more comfortable in his role, and especially with the translation and editor's notes. Reminds me of your Policenauts LP in that regard, too.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SingerOfW posted:

Well, if her name were given as literally the phrase "never mind" in the same language everyone is speaking I dunno how much it really counts as a Japanese family name so much as a slightly-less-obvious pseudonym than the alternative, but thanks for answering my question :v:

e: Also I just realized who your avatar is. Huh.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 12, 2012

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I was really wondering about that, is Singer's avatar actually Peko? What's the quote from? I thought it was a touhou thing or something.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Captain Bravo posted:

I was really wondering about that, is Singer's avatar actually Peko? What's the quote from? I thought it was a touhou thing or something.
It's from Soukou Akki Muramasa. And yeah, it's her, but that simply means that I like her design, not that I spoiled myself on her involvement in the plot or anything.

(Sorry for the off-topic, Slowbeef.)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
This is going to be like Survivor, except when your torch gets extinguished, you die painfully.

Actually that might be a good idea for next season.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Translation/Japanese Chat with orenronen / 2

Usami's original speech pattern is much like many Japanese mascot characters. It's the so called "verbal tic", where sentence endings are modified in some non-standard way. In Usami's case, she changes the Japanese copula "desu" into "dechu", and the polite verb suffix "-masu" (and its conjugations) into "-machu". Since Usami is a very polite bunny, that happens in virtually every sentence that comes out of her mouth. It's a type of baby-speak you'd expect to hear from a bunny mascot that looks as she does. The first thing that comes to my head when I hear it is Hamtaro, which used the exact same tic constantly.

Verbal tics are difficult to translate effectively. If you luck out and get a word that's simply appended to the end of sentences (say, cat girls going "-nya" after everything they say), you can attempt to leave it as is, though that will probably feel wrong to any audience who's not familiar with the phenomenon. If it's something that happens inside syntax, as in our case, you have no choice but to think of a different solution.

I tried thinking of professional translations that handled verbal tics successfully. The first one that comes to mind is Kuma/Teddie in Persona 4. Now, Persona 4 is as close as you get to a direct, literal translation in commercial games. And yet, when they translated the "-kuma" Kuma adds to his sentences, they went ahead and made Teddie make constant bear jokes. It works brilliantly, and even though it's not even close in literal meaning to the original text (not to mention it adds a bunch of jokes that weren't there in the original), it captures the spirit of the character perfectly, and became so well known that I stole the gimmick when Monobear went into a -kuma phase in Dangan Ronpa.

The second example is from a much more thoroughly localized game. Detective Itonokogiri ends his sentences with a casual, easygoing -ssu, and Gumshoe replicates the feeling by throwing "pal"s everywhere. Since there is an actual -ssu character in SDR2, I will expand on this when we get to them.

When we tried to decide how to translate Usami, a speech impediment turned out to be the best solution. Fedule expanded on that in his post, but I'll add that I had my reservations but got to really like it. It helps that it's very easy to imagine Mrs. Sasuga's voice acting out exactly what we did here.

Usami also uses a nonstandard first person pronoun, "achishi". It has the "ch" and sounds like something a mascot would say, but it's also an actual archaic first person pronoun - a variation on the Edo-period casual pronoun "asshi".

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?
Well, the game is pretty much out and out telling us that at least Togami and Naegi are here, between the whole anagram thing and Nagito immediately jumping to "we're going to kill each other on this island!?" And Togami being basically the same but fat. Which makes me question why he's wearing white now. Black is more slimming, Togami!

Very interested in why they're there. Maybe to go and defeat more SHSL Despair? I would've figured Kirigiri would be in on that. Although that Pekopeko whatever her name was girl does have her same hair color I think. Though the eyes are a different color.

I really hope GUNDAM TANAKA survives for awhile. With a name like that it's literally impossible not to be awesome.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
ooooh, I already like a lot of the cast. I can't wait to see how they interact, though, because that's really where the magic happens. Some of the best moments in the DR1 LP were just random interactions between different characters.
I have no idea what's going on with Not Naegi, but he is Not Naegi, because he is too tall and muscular. Naegi was a shrimp. Nagito is pretty goddamn tall. How do you possibly explain an implausible height growth, other than bizarre sci-fi shenanigans? Ergo, I will continue to think Nagito is just an hilarious red herring until proven otherwise. :colbert:

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

EdgeryWorthy posted:

Well, the game is pretty much out and out telling us that at least Togami and Naegi are here, between the whole anagram thing and Nagito immediately jumping to "we're going to kill each other on this island!?" And Togami being basically the same but fat. Which makes me question why he's wearing white now. Black is more slimming, Togami!

Assuming that is Togami at all. Not everyone is using their real names (Celestia in the first game, and Sonia Nevermind? Come on), so it's not too outlandish to consider this is just someone using Togami's name. He could be a SHSL Impersonator, imitating Togami's speech patterns and mannerisms. I have no idea WHY someone would do that, or why they'd impersonate Togami of all people, but it's not quite so off-the-wall as "everyone's a computer simulation" or some of the other possibilities noted so I'm keeping it in the back of my mind for now.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
I can't really find anyone I hate so far in this cast. Which is weird because in DR1 I hated Maizono the moment she opened her mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

On the subject of fatogami, it could just be a "family name" like great grandpa byakuya who helped the togami family get even richer, so his kid's started naming some of their son's after him, and it just became an ongoing family thing.

I was happy to see that there was actually an update instead of nearly 200 posts of speculation in the 12 hours since I last checked the thread too.

• Locked thread