Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

mindphlux posted:

shaun doty's new place, bantam & biddy got written up in the ajc recently. sounds ok - anyone been?

Went there 6 weeks ago. I was excited about the concept. The presentation was pretty good but the chicken was dry and the sides we picked were all bland. Our table was excited about the tiny pies, but they weren't special at all either. Vanilla applesauce was as lame as it sounds. Fried green tomatoes were pretty good? The accompanying sauce tasted like a penny. I feel silly saying so, but that jalepeno bread was the best part. Maybe their concept was reduced by the sadness of Ansley Mall. I hear they do table service now, which I feel is totally unnecessary for the size of the place (and for being next to a Starbucks, Moe's, and Panera). Anyway, I liked the Figo approach.

Trip report photo:

TL;DR- In that neighborhood I guess I'd go to Fat Matt's or the Colonnade instead. Except that I wouldn't because "chicken dinner" is stupid and I'm not Southern so who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

kuskus posted:

TL;DR- In that neighborhood I guess I'd go to Fat Matt's or the Colonnade instead.

Please do not go to the Colonnade. For a little more content, I grew up south of Albany, Georgia, and the Colonnade hasn't ever struck me as anything other than mediocre fried chicken, mac and cheese, etc.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

ulmont posted:

Please do not go to the Colonnade. For a little more content, I grew up south of Albany, Georgia, and the Colonnade hasn't ever struck me as anything other than mediocre fried chicken, mac and cheese, etc.

When I was growing up, the Colonnade and Mary Mac's were the place to be. I've been recently, and they taste like old school Po'Folks carryout garbage. I shed a single tear.

Luckily, sweet baby jesus begat Carvers on the east side, and all was well again.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Mary Mac's Tea Room makes me feel like I'm on a ventilator tube of grandma farts. Recently I was in Nashville and had lunch at Monell's, which is basically family style "COME AS STRANGERS LEAVE AS FRIENDS" flat-price group seating where you pass around dishes as they come out of the kitchen. Aside from the immediate awkwardness of being crammed in with local lunch-hour office ladies, the food was all really savory and flavorful. These felt like tasteful family recipes culled over a century of iterations. Would eat again. I haven't eaten at a place like that in ITP of Atlanta that I'd recommend, which is why an out of town friend wanted to try Bantam & Biddy to see if it could jolted her back to her childhood eats.

I'm embarrassed that I haven't tried Carver's. Maybe tomorrow.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
mary macs tearoom is gross. my girl's family loves it - her brother even wanted to go there for his like 'birthday lunch/dinner'. I ordered fried chicken and some sides and it was just like not seasoned right, overcooked greens (I didn't know it was possible to even do that), just... off.

I ate at eats a couple years ago though, and it seemed like pretty OK that-style-of-food?

I guess I'll give bantam a try, but that photo you posted kuskus, I think it speaks volumes.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
This fried chicken talk reminded me of Matthew's Cafeteria over in Tucker, a little OTP and right off Lawrenceville Highway. My parents and I used to go there semi-frequently when I was a kid since I was taking karate classes near there, but I haven't been in almost a decade now. I remember liking their fried chicken, but I have no idea how good it actually was/is. I think I was more excited about their various jellos and pies. Any of you ever been there?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Finally got over to Bacchanalia for the first time for my birthday dinner tonight and goddamn was it good. Had the Lonzino, the veal sweetbreads, the pork loin and belly, goat cheese and beets, and these chocolate-hazelnut stuffed cornmeal balls with orange custard for dessert, along with a couple very tasty wines. Definitely worth the price.

Wandered over to Ormsby's afterwards to check it out. It was too crowded for my taste tonight, but it looks like it'd be a fun spot to hang out at on a quieter night. Hard to find good nonsmoking bars around here, so that's a plus.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Harbor Bar in Decatur: Good. Definitely better than Goin' Coastal, in my mind.

We arrived at 8:30 on a Saturday night, and they had a 20 minute wait. They had just run a Scoutmob deal, so that probably had something to do with it. I got a couple of drinks from the bar (Hurricane Punch -- $8.50 fruity punch with a bunch of liquors in it) and sat on the porch with my girlfriend until a table opened up for us. Our waiter came by immediately and took our orders (house made soft pretzels and a dozen raw oysters to start, I got Fish and Chips and my girlfriend got a Low Country Boil).

He brought out some crackers for us shortly thereafter, and I thought, "Wow, that's quick." Nope. We sat staring at crackers for a good ten minutes before the oysters came out. A little small as oysters go (although I'm used to Panama City Beach oysters), but they smelled and tasted fresh and were served ice cold and on ice. The pretzels came out at the same time. They were good-but-not-spectacular, but were complimented nicely by the dipping sauces, mustard and fondue.

Our entrees came out in a reasonable amount of time. The portions were big, the crab was cooked very nicely (juicy), and my Fish'n'Shrimp'n'Oysters'n'Chips'n'Slaw were everything I expected. Very similar to the Fish and Chips at Napoleon's, which makes sense, since they're owned by the same people as far as I understand. I would have liked to see a shaker of Old Bay seasoning at the table like you see in Baltimore, but then again I'd be happy if you gave be a big bowl of Old Bay and stuff to dip into it.

All in all, it was reasonably priced given how expensive seafood gets in non-coastal towns. I'd go again, most definitely.

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

So I went to the pizza place (labled Baby Tommey's Taste of New York on google maps, but I think it was called something different). I accidentally ordered 2 slices and a salad and it was an enormous amount of food. Leftovers :D

But it was drat good. highly recommend it. The people there are very new york-ish, so have what you want ready to go and money ready.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh, and by the way, McRib is back, at least at the McDonalds on Ponce.

(I know this represents the rarefied stratosphere of Atlanta cuisine.)

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Oh, and by the way, McRib is back, at least at the McDonalds on Ponce.

(I know this represents the rarefied stratosphere of Atlanta cuisine.)

The McRib, like herpes, has an occasional flare up every now and then.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Anyone ever been to Ege Sushi in Marietta?

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
Never been, the reviews look good though. But as a general recommendation, I live in Marietta and love Umezono on Cobb Pkwy (their don are delicious, as is the sushi).

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Neena posted:

Never been, the reviews look good though. But as a general recommendation, I live in Marietta and love Umezono on Cobb Pkwy (their don are delicious, as is the sushi).

Yeah, I have frequented Umezono tons of times but Ege is even closer to me and I'm really curious. I'll post a trip report if I end up going tonight.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

FordCQC posted:

I've been there and thought it was good. There were also a number of Japanese customers there, for what that is worth.

nicad
Feb 21, 2004

FordCQC posted:

great sushi for the area. I've seen Alton Brown there a few times while eating

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

nicad posted:

great sushi for the area. I've seen Alton Brown there a few times while eating

Oh snap I might have to go stalk him, haha.

Anyone been to Eleanor's? I'm intrigued by the idea and Muss & Turner's already has great food and drinks. I hear it can be crowded, though.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

FordCQC posted:

My favorite sushi place and I live in Atlanta. Part of the reason is the sushi, but also I love family run places. The husband is one of the sushi chefs, wife and their two daughters are waitresses. It can be a little slow when they are busy, but we usually call for reservations and/or eat an early dinner.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

*Pat voice* Perfect
Well I went and it was nice, but not spectacular. I'm willing to admit that I don't have the best palate in the world so I just didn't see what all the fuss was about. That being said, it is incredibly close and the prices were reasonable, plus they have grilled chicken skin skewers, so I'll be back.

I actually got chirashizushi, so maybe their rolls/nigiri are better than their sashimi? Those of you that have been, what would you recommend I try next time?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I've got a hankering for a really nice tuna steak, seared on the outside but rare as heck on the inside. Any idea who does a good one?

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

*Pat voice* Perfect
The Optimist has seared tuna on its dinner menu.

http://theoptimistrestaurant.com/menus

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I had a nice seared tuna steak at Atlanta Fish Market once, but that was a few years ago, so I have no idea if it's still on their menu.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Takorea (same people that own Hankook) are running a special for January. All tacos are two dollars during weekdays before two pm.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.
I'm sure y'all know more "hot spots" than I do, but I have to give a trip report after two lunches at http://www.pastadapulcinella.com/. They have an apple/sausage ravioli with a brown butter sauce that's great, but the real treat is the veal bolognese with spinach tagiatelle. The two mushroom, two goat cheese and sauteed walnut bruschettas are far superior to the caprese or caesar salad options, in my opinion.

$20 for lunch with drink and tip, but I can't stop thinking about that bolognese!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Whats the current state of good Atlanta sushi? Hachiguchi Jr closed, what's the next place to look at?

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
So Dante's is closing in the next few months, I wonder if anyone will actually miss the place...

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

signalnoise posted:

Whats the current state of good Atlanta sushi? Hachiguchi Jr closed, what's the next place to look at?

I forget which side of town you're on...Ru San's up on Barrett across from Town Center Mall is excellent, and they recently changed the menu to add a lot of awesome, new, non-sushi stuff, too.

Over in my hood in Cobb, there's Miyako on East-West Connector. I think Ru San's has a few locations elsewhere around town but supposedly the Barrett location is the best.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

*Pat voice* Perfect
Those are probably two of the last places I'd send someone who wants sushi.

Tomo is still really good and Bishoku in Sandy Springs is great, but neither really specialize in sushi. Ege sushi in East Cobb is supposed to be really good but I personally wasn't blown away, but I feel like I didn't order the right thing either. I'll be going back, for what that's worth.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of sushi, I ate at MF Sushi in Houston while I was home for Christmas and it was fantastic. The service very friendly, but absurdly slow, and the nigiri was the finest I've ever had. I spoke to one of the people in charge, and he said that they hope to return to Atlanta, and are looking at opening a location in the Inman Park area.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

I stand by Minato in Smyrna--excellent service and I'm never disappointed in their Chirashi selections. The best part is getting to drive down a sketchy slope to go underneath the QuikTrip it lives behind/underneath.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

WaterIsPoison posted:

So Dante's is closing in the next few months, I wonder if anyone will actually miss the place...

There are people who dislike Dante's...?

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

WaterIsPoison posted:

Uh...Dante's is pretty sweet, I don't know what your beef is.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

*Pat voice* Perfect

Jonny Quest posted:

I stand by Minato in Smyrna--excellent service and I'm never disappointed in their Chirashi selections. The best part is getting to drive down a sketchy slope to go underneath the QuikTrip it lives behind/underneath.

Oh man I keep forgetting about that place. It is the sketchiest looking location though!

And yeah, Dante's is/was good, I had no idea it was closing. Had my senior prom dinner there.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I'm new(er) to ATL so thank you all for this thread. I read another thread similar to this one and here is what they said:

Pizza? - Antico.
Sushi? - Hayakawa.
Chinese? - Peter Changs Tasty China 2.
High end? - Bacchanalia, Empire State South, Abattoir.
Persian? - Rumi's Kitchen.
Ethiopian? - Desta Cafe.
Steak? - Bones.
Japanese? - Nakato.
Wings? - NOT TACO MAC.

Comments?

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I should clarify, Dante's was pretty impressive for the experience and ambiance of dining next to/in a ship, but I found it super over priced. Fun once, but more of an amusement park than dining establishment. I can understand people would dig it, it's just not my cup of tea.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Radiohead71 posted:

I'm new(er) to ATL so thank you all for this thread. I read another thread similar to this one and here is what they said:

Pizza? - Antico.
Sushi? - Hayakawa.
Ethiopian? - Desta Cafe.
Steak? - Bones.
Japanese? - Nakato.
Wings? - NOT TACO MAC.

Comments?

Antico is by far the best pizza around (highest Zagat score for a pizza place in the US, named best Neapolitan pizza by the Festa della Pizza in Naples, etc).

I prefer the original Tasty China to #2 (I'm also pretty sure I got the most awful food poisoning at 2).

List is missing Holeman & Finch and Restaurant Eugene.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Radiohead71 posted:

Pizza? - Antico.
Sushi? - Hayakawa.
Ethiopian? - Desta Cafe.
Steak? - Bones.
Japanese? - Nakato.
Wings? - NOT TACO MAC.

Comments?

I would list Shoya as well for Japanese.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

Antico is by far the best pizza around (highest Zagat score for a pizza place in the US, named best Neapolitan pizza by the Festa della Pizza in Naples, etc).

I prefer the original Tasty China to #2 (I'm also pretty sure I got the most awful food poisoning at 2).

List is missing Holeman & Finch and Restaurant Eugene.

I'd give Ammazza a try for pizza.

Webbeh fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 15, 2013

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Radiohead71 posted:

Pizza? - Antico.
Sushi? - Hayakawa.
Ethiopian? - Desta Cafe.
Steak? - Bones.
Japanese? - Nakato.
Wings? - NOT TACO MAC.

Comments?

I would add Canoe (https://www.canoeatl.com) to high end. Food, drinks, and service are all absolutely fantastic. Plus, they managed to survive the restaurant getting flooded and soldiered on. I recommend the she-crab soup and the rabbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nicad
Feb 21, 2004

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Oh snap I might have to go stalk him, haha.

Anyone been to Eleanor's? I'm intrigued by the idea and Muss & Turner's already has great food and drinks. I hear it can be crowded, though.

Nice atmosphere. Draft list is pretty good but not updated frequently.

I ordered an aviation and it was decent but nothing really to write home about. Worth a visit if you're in the area.

edit: Headed to Quinones this saturday for dinner