Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

SB35 posted:

Judging by the service maps, it looks like GoSmart Mobile won't allow Voice/2G roaming on at&t towers, so that's something to consider. Puts me out of the market :(

Neither does the $30 plan though, I thought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Sub Rosa posted:

You may be right.

But, I do know that the Tmo compatible SIM card on StraightTalk does roam onto AT&T towers (voice/2G) in my experience. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to make/receive calls at my parents house.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Sub Rosa posted:

It's been debated a bit and most people believe the $30 Tmo plan roams on ATT for Voice and Text only.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I have a rooted DINC2 running cyanogenmod 7.2 (stable). I just received an unlock code from Verizon, and am thinking about eating the ETF (my contract ends in May) and switching to an MVNO. I understand my phone can't access other companies' broadband networks cause of the band selection, but how bad are we talking here? I'm currently getting about 1.5 mbps down (max).

Ultimately, it might be worth the cost regardless, but I'm just curious if my current phone will become unusable off of Wi-Fi while I look into a different model.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

The Modern Leper posted:

I have a rooted DINC2 running cyanogenmod 7.2 (stable). I just received an unlock code from Verizon, and am thinking about eating the ETF (my contract ends in May) and switching to an MVNO. I understand my phone can't access other companies' broadband networks cause of the band selection, but how bad are we talking here? I'm currently getting about 1.5 mbps down (max).

Ultimately, it might be worth the cost regardless, but I'm just curious if my current phone will become unusable off of Wi-Fi while I look into a different model.

1.5 mbps down is about 7x what I get with sprint. I'm seriously considering eating the 1 year ETF (240) to get something that actually connects to the tubes faster than a single horse-drawn carriage filled with morbidly obese people. (I won't be getting LTE from Sprint until late 2013 at the earliest, according to their roadmap).

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Tedronai66 posted:

1.5 mbps down is about 7x what I get with sprint. I'm seriously considering eating the 1 year ETF (240) to get something that actually connects to the tubes faster than a single horse-drawn carriage filled with morbidly obese people. (I won't be getting LTE from Sprint until late 2013 at the earliest, according to their roadmap).

Yeah. At the end of the day, Verizon is a really good service provider in my area. Plus, I'm grandfathered into their unlimited (2 GB) data plan. I just feel that I'm overpaying for the minutes I don't really need, and can get a better deal on the data.

Worst case, I figure I bite the bullet and just sign up for a Clear hotspot until a nexus becomes available (depending on total price, I guess).

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I'm on T-Mobile pre-paid with an iPhone4 and my service is super lovely. There are spots of 3G service around which work ok, but otherwise I am boned. Is this due to me having an iPhone with T-Mobile, or is this part of the wonders of pre-paid?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

IuniusBrutus posted:

I'm on T-Mobile pre-paid with an iPhone4 and my service is super lovely. There are spots of 3G service around which work ok, but otherwise I am boned. Is this due to me having an iPhone with T-Mobile, or is this part of the wonders of pre-paid?

It's because up until very recently T-Mobile's 3G frequencies were not compatible with any frequencies iPhones use. Part of T-Mobile's spectrum strategy for LTE going forward involves moving 3G to a frequency that is compatible with the iPhone, and T-Mobile is in the process of moving those frequencies in the US. They're obviously not done, hence why the 3G coverage is spotty. When will it be done? Nobody knows.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

For about 3-4 days my speeds with Straight Talk have been in the shitter. I am nowhere near even 2GB of data for this period and never stream anything. Has anyone else experienced issues like this? I'm going to call and ask what's up, just curious.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Google for "straight talk apn" without the quotes, I know Straight Talk themselves say you're supposed to be on some particular settings, and XDA are known to adjust performance by noodling with APN proxies and such.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Google for "straight talk apn" without the quotes, I know Straight Talk themselves say you're supposed to be on some particular settings, and XDA are known to adjust performance by noodling with APN proxies and such.

I have been trying to Google this and am having no luck. I have a new att ST sim with a new N4. I followed the ST APN instructions but my speedtest speed is .01 Mbps download and 1.16 Mbps upload with a 192ms ping time. Can someone help me my google-fu is weak today.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kri kri posted:

I have been trying to Google this and am having no luck. I have a new att ST sim with a new N4. I followed the ST APN instructions but my speedtest speed is .01 Mbps download and 1.16 Mbps upload with a 192ms ping time. Can someone help me my google-fu is weak today.

I found a few of these:

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-setup-right-apn-your-nexus-4

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-galaxy-nexus/172066-straight-talk-mms-problems-3.html#post2321388

http://androidforums.com/nexus-4/650234-straight-talk-play-store.html

http://androidforums.com/nexus-4/649586-here-how-make-mms-work-straight-talk-att-nexus-4-a.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jOEM-1uXB4

e: The video isn't exactly for the customizations found above, but it's something at least. Let me know how it turns out, I'll probably be playing with APN settings a bit too, not sure just yet.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

I use CM which seems to put its own settings in anyway. I should try to use the default ones ST says to use, I guess.

Edit: yeah adding the proxy did nothing.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 11, 2012

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
How easy it is to switch between AT&T and T-Mobile with Straight Talk? Can I just order and activate a new SIM or is it more complex?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

i barely GNU her! posted:

How easy it is to switch between AT&T and T-Mobile with Straight Talk? Can I just order and activate a new SIM or is it more complex?

As long as your phone supports it, sure.

Although I think new SIM = new number and a different account and another month of pay.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

i barely GNU her! posted:

Slight derail, but is it my imagination or would both carriers make more money if they allowed free roaming? I remember they waived roaming fees for Hurricane Sandy, and the cynic in me says it was just a PR stunt since they went right back to business as usual afterwards. But it seems like it would be an equitable deal and they'd both be more competitive against the CMDA carriers. Would prepaid roaming agreements really lose them money, or is this more of a dickwaving thing?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Zero VGS posted:

Slight derail, but is it my imagination or would both carriers make more money if they allowed free roaming? I remember they waived roaming fees for Hurricane Sandy, and the cynic in me says it was just a PR stunt since they went right back to business as usual afterwards. But it seems like it would be an equitable deal and they'd both be more competitive against the CMDA carriers. Would prepaid roaming agreements really lose them money, or is this more of a dickwaving thing?
2 reasons.
1, ATT is still significantly larger, and thus t-mobile would benefit more from such an agreement
2, "this is our network. If you want to use it, pay us, not them."

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

SB35 posted:

As long as your phone supports it, sure.

Although I think new SIM = new number and a different account and another month of pay.

OK, thanks. I was wondering if it could just be a replacement SIM on my current account but I guess not.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I found a few of these:
Thanks I am pretty sure I can just use the default ST ones and speedtest is just a broken for me. Downloading and browsing seems pretty quick, downloading something onto my phone was also relatively fast. At least I can't tell too much yet since I just switched from a N1 to a N4.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kri kri posted:

Thanks I am pretty sure I can just use the default ST ones and speedtest is just a broken for me. Downloading and browsing seems pretty quick, downloading something onto my phone was also relatively fast. At least I can't tell too much yet since I just switched from a N1 to a N4.

Wait, it's only Speed Test?

From what I've read, it's the proxy that breaks that app. You'll have to remove the proxy to get that to run, it seems.

Though uploading and downloading are prohibited on ST's service, I'd say downloading an app or two should be okay as long as it's not some HUGE game or something.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait, it's only Speed Test?

From what I've read, it's the proxy that breaks that app. You'll have to remove the proxy to get that to run, it seems.

Though uploading and downloading are prohibited on ST's service, I'd say downloading an app or two should be okay as long as it's not some HUGE game or something.

Wait what? Using data is technically prohibited?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Wait what? Using data is technically prohibited?

Actually, I misread it when I read it the first time. My apologies!

You're prohibited from downloading or streaming audio, videos, or games with Straight Talk, or making continuous phone calls. However, you ARE able to download legal music. I assume you're able to upload photos at least.

So, they need to insert the world "illegal" in there somewhere. As it stands, it reads that you can't download music...except you can.

There's someone by the name of "Sarah" or something who works for ST that comments on YouTube videos. She's stated multiple times that streaming of any kind is not allowed on Straight Talk, so I assume they mean illegal mp3 downloads or any type of streaming audio/video.

quote:

6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.

http://www.straighttalk.com/terms

Honestly, this thing reads as if Straight Talk didn't take into account smartphones. I think it may need to be rewritten.

My rereading of this has eased some of my worries about ST for me. I don't upload videos to DB or G+, but I do sometimes make posts with images I just took. This should be fine according to their TOS.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm gonna be in the US for a month and want to get a prepaid plan to use for that month (I really just need/want mobile Internet). I have a(n unlocked European) GSM iPhone 5. Just saying it's European because I understand the iPhone 5s in America have different radios or whatever? Anyway I'll be splitting time between Las Vegas and Phoenix. The $45 straight talk plan seems perfect for me but I'm not sure which towers I need to go with.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Calling Straight Talk support was useless other than to confirm they hadn't throttled my account for abuse. Speeds are still like 100k/sec here in Chicago... I'm close to just dumping it for T-Mobile again, even though T-M sucks in anything remotely rural

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
My girlfriend tethers on ST and they have never said poo poo. She also only uses ~1GB total a month so there is that. She just uses the built in tethering on her Galaxy Nexus too, not some poo poo that hides it. She only ever tethers her iPad to it though, so maybe that's why they don't notice. Still looks mobile? Who knows. Anyway, they won't cut you off just for the sake of it. They do make money off you if you aren't being a cock.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm gonna be in the US for a month and want to get a prepaid plan to use for that month (I really just need/want mobile Internet). I have a(n unlocked European) GSM iPhone 5. Just saying it's European because I understand the iPhone 5s in America have different radios or whatever? Anyway I'll be splitting time between Las Vegas and Phoenix. The $45 straight talk plan seems perfect for me but I'm not sure which towers I need to go with.

100% use AT&T towers with an iPhone. TMobile supports 3G on iPhones in SOME areas, but extremely spotty even in the ones it does.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ddogflex posted:

My girlfriend tethers on ST and they have never said poo poo. She also only uses ~1GB total a month so there is that. She just uses the built in tethering on her Galaxy Nexus too, not some poo poo that hides it. She only ever tethers her iPad to it though, so maybe that's why they don't notice. Still looks mobile? Who knows. Anyway, they won't cut you off just for the sake of it. They do make money off you if you aren't being a cock.

According to the TOS section I posted, you can't tether to laptops or desktops (??).

...Maybe they just don't want people tethering to traditional computers as they potentially pull more bandwidth than mobile devices?

I don't know because that rep on YouTube (who also posts on ST's Facebook) states that tethering of ANY kind is prohibited...but the TOS kind of dances around it.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

ThermoPhysical posted:

According to the TOS section I posted, you can't tether to laptops or desktops (??).

...Maybe they just don't want people tethering to traditional computers as they potentially pull more bandwidth than mobile devices?

I don't know because that rep on YouTube (who also posts on ST's Facebook) states that tethering of ANY kind is prohibited...but the TOS kind of dances around it.

I'm saying it's against their TOS, they just don't care if you aren't abusing it. Why would they not want to make money?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ddogflex posted:

I'm saying it's against their TOS, they just don't care if you aren't abusing it. Why would they not want to make money?

They still throttle and cut people off for going over 100MB/day and 2GB/month. I'd say they do care, but the only thing that's keeping them from going after her is she's not using over 1GB/mo.

There's talk of T-Mobile's side of Straight Talk being much more lenient than the AT&T side, that AT&T probably charges ST more for data or something.

I suppose that makes sense considering T-Mobile is sort of "unlimited" where AT&T is not.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Does anyone pay for more than a single month of ST at a time? If you've already switched to ST to save as much as possible, that extra 5% seems noteworthy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

Does anyone pay for more than a single month of ST at a time? If you've already switched to ST to save as much as possible, that extra 5% seems noteworthy.

Wait. you can do this? How?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Callingmart releases codes everymonth for at least 5% off their already slightly dicounted refill cards if you want to try and save some more money. They just posted the codes for this month on their FB and twitter as well I believe, snagged myself two $50 T-Mobile refills for $93.50.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait. you can do this? How?

https://www.straighttalk.com/secure/ServicePlans

It's closer to 8.5% off (or, basically, a free month) if you go with a full year. I think I'll do a month first to see if it works well then consider it. A few people have mentioned ST is a bit aggressive about booting people, etc, and I was wondering if there was a specific reason like that to explain why noone has mentioned the multimonth plans. I have my Nexus in hand, it would be cool to pay $500 up front and not have any sort of cell phone bill for a year.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ddogflex posted:

100% use AT&T towers with an iPhone. TMobile supports 3G on iPhones in SOME areas, but extremely spotty even in the ones it does.

Ok, looks like that's what I'll do. Can I order nano SIM cards from them or will I need to cut my own?

Fake edit: it seems the two gsm versions of the iPhone only really matter for LTE if I'm reading this right, and it doesn't look like I can get LTE from a prepaid service anyway.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Any of the Omaha Sprint refugees actually switch to ST?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

Not yet. ThermoPhysical is in possession of a ST ATT SIM, but is pending an N4 for actual use. I am waiting for said trip report.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

https://www.straighttalk.com/secure/ServicePlans

It's closer to 8.5% off (or, basically, a free month) if you go with a full year. I think I'll do a month first to see if it works well then consider it. A few people have mentioned ST is a bit aggressive about booting people, etc, and I was wondering if there was a specific reason like that to explain why noone has mentioned the multimonth plans. I have my Nexus in hand, it would be cool to pay $500 up front and not have any sort of cell phone bill for a year.

Awesome, I didn't know they had this. I'll definitely look into it, thanks!

The specific reason for booting is the "unlimited" internet, really. As I posted a few posts up, you're unable to do streaming, downloading, or uploading of videos, gaming, or music (however, you can download legal music...so I guess they mean you can't download illegal music...which is obviously illegal and you're not supposed to do anyway).

Before I bought my AT&T SIM and the $45 unlimited plan card, I researched (read: Googled a bunch and looked over the TOS) them first as the strictness seems really odd to me. I've found that most people are perfectly fine except there are some that take the word "unlimited" for granted and rack up gigabyte after gigabyte of data usage. You also can't make constant phone calls (or texts, I'm assuming) so maybe they're doing that as well.

It also seems they no longer boot people but throttle them for the remainder of the month to very low speeds.

Either way, I don't expect that you (or I) will have issues with it as long as you're aware what you're getting into.

If they do boot you, there's always Red Pocket (AT&T) which seems to be Straight Talk but without unlimited (they do 2GB of data/mo before throttling...which is the same as the theoretical ST limit per month) and you can just take your phone with you. If you're on the T-Mobile side, there's SIMple Mobile or even T-Mo's own $30/mo plan.

TLG James posted:

Yeah, as The Entire Universe said, I'm moving to Straight Talk for a bit to see how it works here in North Omaha. I ordered my 16GB Nexus 4 back on November 30th so I'm just waiting for that. I already have the Diztronic case and AT&T ST microSIM to go with it.

I asked around to see how AT&T is versus Sprint and the general consensus is that it's a LOT better. I was even told that prepaid AT&T is better than postpaid Sprint. I was warned by both an AT&T store employee and a Best Buy Mobile employee that it wouldn't be JUST like AT&T's service (though I already expected this as it's just like Boost and Virgin Mobile for Sprint). The AT&T employee even told me that AT&T considers Straight Talk as just roaming off of their towers and once you leave AT&T's towers, you have no service. Again, this is something I expected, but a nice tidbit of information to know, I suppose.

I'll definitely give a trip report whenever the Nexus 4 comes. It's likely I'll still have my Sprint service too so I'll just compare them maybe with a YouTube video or something.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Awesome, I didn't know they had this. I'll definitely look into it, thanks!
:words:

It took way too much effort, but I have my Nexus 4 running on AT&T right now. My ST sim is sitting at home waiting for me to get off work. I'll probably initiate the switchover tomorrow so I'll have a day or two of AT&T service to compare to. I have not had any trouble with AT&T connectivity, and I do not think I've ever had to roam to other carriers networks, so ST should be fine as long as I don't have trouble with something odd like ShaneB.

Right now my AT&T dataplan is the 300MB plan :laugh: I am around wifi enough that I can simply wait for most data-heavy tasks (downloading apps, etc) and only do stuff like light browsing, maps, or background syncing on the go. The only data heavy thing I am really interested in is streaming music like Pandora at the gym. it looks to be 30-40 MB/hour so it shouldn't be too much data if I'm not doing it a ton, and I can always supplement with music on the device as well. I think 2GB should be easy to stay under, especially with the data tracking that android provides.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

It took way too much effort, but I have my Nexus 4 running on AT&T right now. My ST sim is sitting at home waiting for me to get off work. I'll probably initiate the switchover tomorrow so I'll have a day or two of AT&T service to compare to. I have not had any trouble with AT&T connectivity, and I do not think I've ever had to roam to other carriers networks, so ST should be fine as long as I don't have trouble with something odd like ShaneB.

Right now my AT&T dataplan is the 300MB plan :laugh: I am around wifi enough that I can simply wait for most data-heavy tasks (downloading apps, etc) and only do stuff like light browsing, maps, or background syncing on the go. The only data heavy thing I am really interested in is streaming music like Pandora at the gym. it looks to be 30-40 MB/hour so it shouldn't be too much data if I'm not doing it a ton, and I can always supplement with music on the device as well. I think 2GB should be easy to stay under, especially with the data tracking that android provides.

Yeah, I use that data tracking to see how much I use per month and per day. In a month, I use about 100MB. In a day, even when I'm not at home, it's about 40MB tops. I don't stream with Pandora or even Google Play Music because Sprint is just that slow here. I just use Google Play Music to give me offline music via Playlists and barely worry about data unless I'm wanting to look up something or use the Awful app.

Signal was SO bad in Iowa this past week visiting a friend, I just left mobile data off completely and had awesome battery life. I only used Wi-Fi when I was at his house. I think Sprint conditioned me over the time I've had them to use as little data as possible. :v: I'm on constant Wi-Fi as well for the most part so I should be fine.

I've had to roam but not much here in the city, it's mostly when you're leaving it to go to other places. As I understand it, places like Denver, CO, Cedar Rapids, IA, and Des Moines, IA all have good AT&T coverage so I should be okay if I ever go to those places again. While roaming, I never used roaming data as I've heard horror stories of Sprint charging people so I've had that off ever since I got my phone.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
I finally got my Nexus 4 last week, and so far it's been a massive disappointment. Not the phone, it seems great, but holy gently caress is T-Mobile terrible in the Bay Area. Where I work it ping-pongs from full 4g bars to "Emergency Calls Only" every minute or so.

It does work at home, but on Sunday I was at my Mom's house (literally 1 mile down the street) and got nothing at all.

I made the switch from AT&T, which everyone seems to think is terrible in the bay area, but I was always happy with it. T-Mobile is just unusable, it's shocking that they expect people to shell out money for service like this.

Anyway, I'm going to jump over to StraightTalk on AT&T, and I had one question. I just ported my number from AT&T to T-Mobile; will there be any problem porting it back after so short a time? I probably won't make any changes for a couple more weeks (gonna make sure T-Mobile didn't mess something up), if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Why not just port to google voice? That is what I just did when I switched from Tmo to ATT ST and it works great.

• Locked thread