Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

Strength of Many posted:

Am I imagining this, or is the early Camo for aliens way too drat good? Maybe I keep running up against coordinated pre-mades or something, but every time I go Marines my team is destroyed by this.
Like totalnewbie said, first-hive camo is one of those tricky things to balance since it requires the marine commander to recognize and counter it via scans, observatories, and mines. Stuff like carapace or celerity can be countered by individual player skill, but if your comm isn't on the ball, camo'd aliens will walk all over you and there's not much that can be done.

On the flip side, I've seen way too many aliens unlock camouflage and then cloak-walk EVERYWHERE. Don't do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Splicer posted:

I honestly think implementing an exo limit would be the biggest buff you could give Marines in pubs right now.

Or else giving a commander the option to research Exos but not make them available for purchase so that the Commander can choose to drop a single dual exo and force everyone else to go jetpacks.

Strength of Many posted:

Am I imagining this, or is the early Camo for aliens way too drat good? Maybe I keep running up against coordinated pre-mades or something, but every time I go Marines my team is destroyed by this.

It's a gamble. If the marines react well and counter it, you really gently caress yourself over by losing shifts, adrenaline for your gorges and lerks early on, and celerity for really early map control via rushing every god drat thing in the world.

Shift-> Crag-> Shade and Crag-> Shift-> Shade are the safe paths. They're reliable and means that on both sides it comes down to player skill.

Shade-> Crag-> Shift is like Star Craft Cheese. It either lets you dominate or it gets shut down and you're hosed.

Shade-> Shift-> Crag is suicide in every single game I've seen it tried. Fighting for a third hive with no regen or carapace to counter weapon damage upgrades is a goddamn nightmare.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 11, 2012

MikoLovesYou
Nov 20, 2003

I came here tonight with my...self. Oh God.
Always shift hive first. Shifts win games. Especially when you drop them in the center of the map.

My favorite shift location is on tram. Drop a shift in the lower right corner of the hub, place a whip at the small choke right above it. Marines have such a tough time holding both elevator and repair this way, and once you have 3 hives on this map it's game.

The only time I ever consider starting with any of the other hives is when I'm playing with friends. Shifts are too good on pub servers.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Splicer posted:

I honestly think implementing an exo limit would be the biggest buff you could give Marines in pubs right now.

Probably not, you would have the entire marine team crowded around the proto lab spam-clicking the dual exo button. And when they don't get to be the select few who can buy exo's they just rage quit to the RR.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Yeah when I comm it's always Shift-> Crag-> Shade, every single time. Early celerity means that even if your aliens aren't as good as the marines they can be loving everywhere and early egg locks are non existent (though I hate the stupid rear end shift nerf they did, shifts were fine the way they were before) And early adrenaline helps those early lerks and really helps that gorge working on your second hive.

I've seen coms go crag-> shift-> Shade on pubs with great success too though. Early carapace means that 9/10 surprise attacks result in a dead marine even if they're a good shot and the skulks aren't great. The real trick to crag first is making sure your skulks know to use their sneak button whenever they hear marines. Your rush is slower without celerity so it's important that they not hear you coming and that you ambush as much as possible.

Seriously though I love that they gave skulks a sneak button. It doesn't slow you down that much, you can actually catch up to a non sprinting marine if he doesn't turn around, and they never expect that poo poo. It's why I always pick silence over cloak. It's too easy to attack from above or behind as a skulk for cloak to matter, but running at celerity speeds and attacking in complete silence is awesome.

Plus I can eat RTs and actually hear marines running to stop me instead of gunfire being my first warning. Also Silent Onos are hilarious. Face full of space rhino moving silently at lightning speed. As a marine seeing a silent Onos charging is scary as hell for some reason. "Why doesn't it make any noise :gonk:"

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 11, 2012

Ball654
Aug 9, 2008
What's going on with the NS2Goon server? Is it down for good or did it just change names?

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Ball654 posted:

What's going on with the NS2Goon server? Is it down for good or did it just change names?

I believe Garfu renamed his server to NS2Goons, since Kerpal took the original NS2Goons down.

Also there is Knife the Hippo:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515254

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
So apparently I just got banned from the goon server as soon as I joined it? I just the server and some guy named M2554534John or something immediately types "bitch" into chat, then minutes later he bans me. Cool.

What a cool server.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He was simply asking for the secret code word. After being called a 'bitch' you must immediately reply with 'aw hell nah' so that M553232John knows you are a goon, otherwise they kick non-goons to make room.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

haha seriously?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Yeah the NS2Goons server is back up named the same as it was before, you just have to find it on the list again to re-favorite it. It's the same server hosted by the same people.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
Is anyone getting freezing lately? I never had problems before, but yesterday and today, my game would eventually freeze after about an hour. The music or background noises are still playing like the game is fine, but the screen is frozen. Only CTRL+ALT+DEL gets me out. I never had this problem before.

Krenzo fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 12, 2012

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES

Limastock posted:

He was simply asking for the secret code word. After being called a 'bitch' you must immediately reply with 'aw hell nah' so that M553232John knows you are a goon, otherwise they kick non-goons to make room.

Yeah the server wasn't filled up. And I think people spouting sexist crap is against the rules or something. He started harassing me as soon as I joined so whatever. Neat.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

ShadowCat posted:

Yeah the server wasn't filled up. And I think people spouting sexist crap is against the rules or something. He started harassing me as soon as I joined so whatever. Neat.
From the Private games server thread:

MC2552John posted:

I also accidentally banned someone yesterday, if it was you I think I unbanned you basically right away so sorry about that.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Dominoes posted:

From the Private games server thread:

Yeah I'm kind of terrible at running this server. I also edited that post in PGS to include:

MC2552John posted:

There are only 3 bans on the server, and all of them are from people breaking the "No being a racist/sexist/bigot" rule.

The bans are:

ezakimak: reason: N***** is not "just a word"

heisenb0rg: reason: Rule 1 (He went on a slur tirade of some serious proportions)

MY ANIME SEXPILLOW: reason: Rule 1 (Calling people f******)

And to clarify, there is a system that Kerpal put in place at my request that goons can kick non goons to make room for themselves on the server. Read the PGS thread for info.

Lucky Samurai fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 12, 2012

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

AgentF posted:

Give me your Steam details and I'll give it to you for free.

Well you're a drat swell guy, http://steamcommunity.com/id/clownpenis
How's that? Thanks

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
Why are server admins allowed to use sexist language?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Dave Mustard posted:

Well you're a drat swell guy, http://steamcommunity.com/id/clownpenis
How's that? Thanks

Merry Skulkmas! Here's to you shooting/biting an alien/human in the face/crotch. NS2 is a great game and the more players on servers the better.

MikoLovesYou
Nov 20, 2003

I came here tonight with my...self. Oh God.

ShadowCat posted:

Why are server admins allowed to use sexist language?

Ease up pony boy, he explained himself

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
No, he didn't explain why he can vocally harass me (regardless of the server he finds me on) and call people bitches. It's just a bit hypocritical.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ShadowCat posted:

No, he didn't explain why he can vocally harass me (regardless of the server he finds me on) and call people bitches. It's just a bit hypocritical.

I don't think online gaming is for you.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Do obs decloak buildings/cysts hidden by a shade? I say this because I want to try sneaking in whips into chokepoints and bases while the marines are off doing something else.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Addict posted:

Do obs decloak buildings/cysts hidden by a shade? I say this because I want to try sneaking in whips into chokepoints and bases while the marines are off doing something else.

Yes, they do.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

ShadowCat posted:

If I called someone a bitch, it was Dan, and always in response to his saying he is going to smother me with a pillow.

The accidental ban was totally unrelated to anything you think may have been directed at you in chat (it wasn't directed at you :ssh:) since it was, you know, accidental.

E: Also if you were on the alien team, I remember my screw up now, I was trying to ban the guy who went on a slur tirade of truly amazing proportions in team voice quickly, and like I said, my eyes failed me and I clicked the button one line up (you).

Lucky Samurai fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 12, 2012

WelpEcho
Sep 12, 2006
Forsoothe goons. I will smother that bitch whore MC2552John with a pillow and then shadowcat will no longer be mad about the accidental banning and goons will return to cheetos mountain

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

MikoLovesYou posted:

This patch increased the FPS on my laptop by an easy 10-20 fps. Glad they're on the right track.

Also, doesn't anyone else think this game would do well with matchmaking / elo rating system? Much like the way Dota2 or HoN handles it. I just think people would leave games a lot less if their w/l was being tracked and would see them through to the end. You could also have some sort of cosmetic unlock system like Dota2 has. I think that would really improve the longevity of the game and would attract a lot of new players.

I'd love to be able to just hop into a match and be paired with players with a similar skill cap.

The main problem with matchmaking is that newbies in this game need to be mentored by more experienced players (eg via commanding). Segregating the player base by skill will prevent that process, imperfect as it is now.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Depending on how it's implemented, it could also encourage players to play with a goal of improving their own stats instead of acting like a team player.

I dislike stats tracking in General. In Starcraft 2, I became focused on how well I was doing on the ladder and what league I was in. Now in games like NS2, I bind the score sheet to a key that's difficult to get to so I only check I need info (mostly for when commanding, like checking how many people have shotguns, who's dead, who's a good shot, how many players are in the server etc)

I've always loved how well organized pub games can be in NS2, and how communities develop on a server. You can get to know the strengths and weaknesses of other regulars, who's a good team player, who has strong communication, who's deadly with a shotgun etc.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 13, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I remember there was a version of NS1 that did away with K/D on the scoreboard. It made the game so much better.

Rent to Own Lifestyle
Jan 27, 2004
Well fuck, I need something witty.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I remember there was a version of NS1 that did away with K/D on the scoreboard. It made the game so much better.

That would be nice. The friend that I play with stops playing when his k/d ratio gets below 1:1 and its loving annoying.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I remember that. It was that way when I started playing, but IIRC they added it later because too many people argued they wanted to see how they were doing.

Rent to Own Lifestyle posted:

That would be nice. The friend that I play with stops playing when his k/d ratio gets below 1:1 and its loving annoying.
There's a douche who plays (used to play?) on the goons server who alltalks excuses and "I'm doing sooo terrible!" if he doesn't have a high k/d. I'm in favor of removing it.

Points are a useful concept, but they're not implemented well; ie an arbitrary person in the group gets all the points for construction/destruction, welding/healspraying doesn't give points etc.

Is there a way to remove the points popups? They're distracting and remind me to pay attention to score when I'm trying to just enjoy playing the game.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 13, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Rent to Own Lifestyle posted:

I never got why they were in NS in the first place - it's entirely a team based game. Infintely more so than, say, CounterStrike or Team Fortress. I guess the ***PRO*** players got on the devs case about it.

Dominoes posted:

I remember that. It was that way when I started playing, but IIRC they added it later because too many people argued they wanted to see how they were doing.

There's a douche who plays (used to play?) on the goons server who alltalks excuses and "I'm doing sooo terrible!" if he doesn't have a high k/d. I'm in favor of removing it.

I'm almost 100% positive that it was sometime during the 2.0 era, although it might have been during one of the 3.0 betas. It certainly wasn't a serverside addition though; that's how the mod shipped at one point.

Mushball
May 23, 2012

Dominoes posted:

Points are a useful concept, but they're not implemented well; ie an arbitrary person in the group gets all the points for construction/destruction, welding/healspraying doesn't give points etc.

Is there a way to remove the points popups? They're distracting and remind me to pay attention to score when I'm trying to just enjoy playing the game.

Alltalk as in typing right? Because I tend to beat myself up a bit over the mic on the goon servers when I get killed due to personal faults in movement or marksmanship but it's not a worry about maintaining 1:1 KDR but improving for me.

Mushball fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 13, 2012

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I never got why they were in NS in the first place - it's entirely a team based game. Infintely more so than, say, CounterStrike or Team Fortress. I guess the ***PRO*** players got on the devs case about it.

I'm almost 100% positive that it was sometime during the 2.0 era, although it might have been during one of the 3.0 betas. It certainly wasn't a serverside addition though; that's how the mod shipped at one point.

I doubt it was the pro players, they probably just follow suit with CoD series like a lot of games have and putting those instant point rewards right in your face makes people feel accomplished. That said they're way too big and in your face in NS and they should reward you equally for helpful actions. I guess battlefield did it right, the score popups were small and you could easily become top player just by being a really good medic. Although it often favored the overly defensive but good tank player or the helicopter maverick, being helpful to your team was generally as or more important than kills.

AgentF posted:

Merry Skulkmas! Here's to you shooting/biting an alien/human in the face/crotch. NS2 is a great game and the more players on servers the better.

Thanks to this blessed soul I am now getting to chomp some marines old school style. I haven't played the original NS since high school and it feels good to see it renewed.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Dave Mustard posted:

I doubt it was the pro players, they probably just follow suit with CoD series like a lot of games have and putting those instant point rewards right in your face makes people feel accomplished. That said they're way too big and in your face in NS and they should reward you equally for helpful actions. I guess battlefield did it right, the score popups were small and you could easily become top player just by being a really good medic. Although it often favored the overly defensive but good tank player or the helicopter maverick, being helpful to your team was generally as or more important than kills.

They added K/D back to the scoreboard well before the craze that COD4 ushered in.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They added K/D back to the scoreboard well before the craze that COD4 ushered in.

Well, I meant more of the point popups for kills ala cod's +50! +100, etc.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Dave Mustard posted:

Well, I meant more of the point popups for kills ala cod's +50! +100, etc.

These serve a purpose of showing that you hit something. They could be replaced with something else, but you can't just remove them. An example is that I can see when I am connecting my lerk spikes to the intended target.

Also, why do goons (and non goons) ever choose shade for the first hive? The only time to choose it is if you know your team is great, the other teams commander isn't aware of scanning, and you want to have a laugh.

I have seen games get rolled because the alien com decided that shade was a good idea. Mostly because all the skulks walk around slow in shade mode and the marines cap a bunch of nodes and area early. Crags, Shifts, Regen/Cap/Cel are all way too amazingly useful in the beginning to not have.

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008

Addict posted:

These serve a purpose of showing that you hit something. They could be replaced with something else, but you can't just remove them. An example is that I can see when I am connecting my lerk spikes to the intended target.

Also, why do goons (and non goons) ever choose shade for the first hive? The only time to choose it is if you know your team is great, the other teams commander isn't aware of scanning, and you want to have a laugh.

I have seen games get rolled because the alien com decided that shade was a good idea. Mostly because all the skulks walk around slow in shade mode and the marines cap a bunch of nodes and area early. Crags, Shifts, Regen/Cap/Cel are all way too amazingly useful in the beginning to not have.

The worst thing an Alien Comm can do is go Crag last. Crag or Shift should really be the only hives you can go for first.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Addict posted:

The damage and point popups are vital for playing BB Gorge. Often you can't actually see what you are arcing at so without your damage floaties it's nearly impossible to work out if you've lined yourself up right. It's also extremely satisfying when you get killed mid-base assault only to have a little "+15" pop up a few seconds later.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Addict posted:

You don't need hit confirmation. I turn off the damage popups, but still have the points popups since there's no way I've found to remove them.

quote:

Shade first offers a third strategic option compared to crag or shift, making games less repetetive. Also, cloaking and silence are cool upgrades that are great for gaining early map control and forcing precise reactions from the marine commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I only play this game to lerk or skulk around and rack up kills. Don't touch my loving scoreboard!

• Locked thread