Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

m-o-o-n posted:

- Kaevum's Natur is probably the NSBM AOTY
I generally don't listen to NSBM, but drat, this is really good.

m-o-o-n posted:

Stinkers: Deathspell Omega
Look how wrong you are. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

m-o-o-n posted:

Stinkers: Ofermod, Nachtmystium, Burzum, Deathspell Omega. Still can't get into Weapon either.

You didn't like Drought? I only got into Deathspell recently but I thought it was good.

Edit: haha beaten.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Svartidaudi
Vemod
Rahu
Medico Peste
Maléfices
Cult of Fire

Adversarial/Antediluvian crushes all though.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

The Clit Avoider posted:

Antediluvian is loving awesome. They're almost up there with Portal for me. drat, I wish Vexovoid would come out already.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Hulk Krogan posted:

You didn't like Drought? I only got into Deathspell recently but I thought it was good.

Edit: haha beaten.

I love Si Monumentum and like Kenose and Paracletus but Drought and Fas Whatever really rub me the wrong way and I'm not entirely sure why

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

m-o-o-n posted:

I love Si Monumentum and like Kenose and Paracletus but Drought and Fas Whatever really rub me the wrong way and I'm not entirely sure why
Obviously you just don't :airquote:get:airquote: DSO, plebe. :smug:

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I really liked Blut Aus Nord and Ash Borer, but those were pretty much the only ones I listened to. Looks like I have some catching up to do.

E: Just listened to that Wodensthrone album and holy poo poo is it good.

apophenium fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 13, 2012

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Goddamn.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Calling Fifteen Dead's Genesis an album might be cheating as it's just a compilation of their first demo and EP which both came out last year, but it's definitely the best thing I've heard all year. D-beat-heavy crust punk meets black metal that goes from furious to melancholic in a way I'm almost certain will be the next big thing in metal. It's up on bandcamp. Check out the EP's first track, Sunset, first.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Yeah - I'm going to have to buy a tape player dammit.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
For me, Mgła- With Hearts Toward None crushed everything in terms of BM this year. Astoundingly strong release.

Honourable mentions go to:
The Great Old Ones- Al Azif
Lunar Aurora- Hoagscht (or whatever it's really called, either way it sounds super good)
Winterfylleth- The Threnody of Triunph
Bosse-De-Nage- III
Blut Aus Nord- 777 Cosmosophy
Kaevum- Natur
Marnost- 2012 demo
Ash Borer- Cold of Ages (would've been amazing if not for the sterile production killing all the dynamic.)
Anicon- s/t
Wodensthrone- Curse (outstayed it's welcome for me, but has some great moments)

It's been a pretty good year for BM, not the best, but pretty good.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I realize I'm way behind the times or whatever but it's finally sinking in for me how good Wodensthrone and Necromantia are.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I have to go back and listen to Crossing the Fiery Path at least three times whenever Necromantia is mentioned, so thanks for that. I wish they would put out some new material, there's still nobody else who hits quite the right spot.

Update: Necromantia is still just as good as my memory claimed.

Irony.or.Death fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 14, 2012

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

I was already a fan of Antediluvian, but I gave Adversarial's side a listen today and holy poo poo this band have some killer riffs. Are the full lengths as good? Where should I start?

Also, is the new Maveth as good as the previews? If yes, I need to get an order into Dark Descent ASAP!

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

If more than 5 goons post about how good a new album is, it's usually good practice to check it out. That being said, HOLY gently caress that Mgla album is absolutely killer.

Oh and new Yellowgoat comes out Jan 13th 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ZiGEbTMnw

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Just got my grubby hands on Urkaos I. Just stellar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAwJgPY4AmM

I'm also weirdly attracted to the Satanhartalt releases on Legion Blotan. It really reminds me of the more experimental/ambient LLN stuff like the Black Legions Projects Compilation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMtLuc1hPag

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Vassafor's Obsidian Codex is loving amazing. Parasitic Records has the 2xLP
available here. This may be a (very) late contender for top 5 of the year.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
So, I have from a rather reliable source that the world is indeed NOT ending tomorrow on December 21st, 2012 as the Mayans may have previously indicated. Because... this beast of a record is going to bestowed to all the world on February 25th, 2013...

In addition, the press release promoting the album reads...

“A continuation of the free-spirited metallic lands the duo of Fenriz & Nocturno Culto have been roaming for a long time, The Underground Resistance contains Darkthrone’s trademark masterful riffing in a broad range of styles, effortlessly bounding through the annals of classic metal, taking in thrash, speed & black metal, & not forgetting a dose of Punk. All in all a ferocious & dynamic set of tracks drenched in Fenriz’s & Nocturno’s rich & diverse tastes in all things metal, primarily those rooted firmly in the spirit of the 80’s. 6 tracks long, & every one an epic in itself, this is undoubtedly Darkthrone’s strongest outing of late.”

And there was this further tidbit as well from Fenriz: “3 songs each, Ted’s are flown from the universe of metal with his strongest voice ever so far. Songs of mine are torn from the wombs of the riders of rohan of metal; safely cradled in 1985 style”.

:black101:

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Only six songs :(

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Maybe they'll be long and cool songs like the ones on A Blaze in the Northern Sky and have sweet hellhammer riffs and ah gently caress who am I kidding it'll be pretty bad

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
Can't wait for that album. That press release does mention "every one an epic in itself", so hopefully they are indeed long songs!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
In the style they're playing at the moment, I'm not sure long songs are the right path for Darkthrone to go down :/ I do like the newer material, but at the same time, I feel apprehensive every time they announce something new.

That cover art is loving killer though.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Marduk posted the dates for their tour with Inquisition

SERPENT SERMON US/CAN TOUR Pt2 / Voices from the dark
February 20 Springfield, VA @ Empire
February 21 Poughkeepsie, NY @ The Chance
February 22 Worcester, MA @ The Palladium
February 23 New York, NY @ Gramercy Theatre
February 24 Montreal, QC @ Club Soda
February 25 Toronto, ON @ Wreck Room
February 26 Millvale, PA @ Mr. Small's Theatre
February 27 Chicago, IL @ Reggie's
February 28 Saint Paul, MN @ Station 4
March 1 Winnipeg, MB @ Osborne Village Inn
March 2 Regina, SK @ The Exchange
March 3 Edmonton, AB @ Pawn Shop
March 4 Calgary, AB @ TBC
March 5 Vancouver, BC @ Rickshaw Theatre
March 6 Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
March 7 Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre
March 8 Oakland, CA @ Oakland Opera House
March 9 Los Angeles, CA @ The Vex
March 10 Tempe, AZ @ 910 Live
March 11 Albuquerque, NM @ TBC
March 12 Dallas, TX @ Tomcats West
March 13 San Antonio, TX @ Korova
March 15 Fort Lauderdale, FL @ Culture Room
March 16 Atlanta, GA @ Masquerade

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
holy poo poo, a Florida date!!! I'm so there

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

Marduk posted the dates for their tour with Inquisition
I haven't seen Marduk since Legion was still with them, but they put on a heck of a show. I am interested in seeing Inquisition live.

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn

Morbid Florist posted:

March 15 Fort Lauderdale, FL @ Culture Room

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Holy poo poo. So there.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Coming back to Winnipeg - might see them again as last show was loving awesome although they all smell like pee.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Hey guys, check out Varg Vikernes and family larping and looking at caves or something.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

It might look like innocent LARPing but it's actually white supremacy.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

That song is better than anything on Umskiptar and I'd much rather listen to a Death in June Burzum album than Varg's current black metal output.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

That song is from Umskiptar. It's called Golden age or something like that.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Oh! I kinda drifted in and out while listening to that album so I honestly didn't remember it having that song.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

m-o-o-n posted:

Oh! I kinda drifted in and out while listening to that album so I honestly didn't remember it having that song.

Umskiptar in a nutshell.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

It's okay, I still can't even remember most of it. That song just kinda sticks out for me.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
I like Vargs albums to go to sleep to, the newest albums work pretty well to.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

drat. There was going to be a Heresiarch/Nyogthaeblisz/Hellvetron tour (with a stop in ATL confirmed), but it got cancelled as it appears that Heresiarch broke up or something.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Ah, seriously? That blows, Heresiarch's EP was great. Was really looking forward to a full-length.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm not much into black metal, but I really love Deafheaven and most of Agalloch's stuff. Can anyone recommend some more bands in that direction?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Skilleddk posted:

I'm not much into black metal, but I really love Deafheaven and most of Agalloch's stuff. Can anyone recommend some more bands in that direction?

Alcest, Woods of Ypres, maybe Wolves in the Throne Room?

Might want to try out Primordial as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
Fen perhaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exU2YiXlfpc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8EdHK9BilM

A Sloth fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 23, 2012