Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Xander77 posted:

Hotline: Miami

General what I should know stuff, and a specific question:

Am I supposed to be getting a lot of interference, the screen flickering and stuff as a part of the game's ambiance, or is that something about my graphic settings?

When you first play, don't worry too much about score. Just do whatever works. Later you can come back with all your expertise and try to hit A+ scores and hunt down secrets.

There is one thing you should know: guys with guns have kind of a weird response time. The farther away you are, the faster they'll react to you. When you pop into their line of sight from around a corner, you'll have almost an entire second to deal with them. From down a hallway, they'll pop you one almost before you can react. Either find a way to get in closer without exposing yourself, lure them to you or be ready to hit them right away.

Everything else is pretty simple. You'll learn what you need to know through trial and error, and error will only set you back a few seconds. Experiment and you'll figure everything out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Chief Savage Man posted:

FTL: Faster Than Light

My first game went ok until I got boarded and all my crewmembers were slaughtered.

Help me please, I am bad at space.

It is hard and you might be better served checking the thread in games. Boarders can be one of the highest threats. You want to have the fight in or near the medbay - guys in a powered medbay are very tough to kill. Boarders will avoid rooms that have no oxygen, and they will try to get out of a room without oxygen, so you want to open your airlocks and doors in such a way to vent their room and encourage them to go to the medbay where your guys can kill them easily. If you upgrade your doors, which is pretty cheap, it gets a lot harder for the boarders to get to where they want to go, so they'll take more vacuum damage along the way.

Pause a lot. Upgrade shields and doors early. Your own boarders can be deadly so get a teleporter of your own if you can.

Edit: and don't be ashamed to play on easy until you have won a few times.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 9, 2012

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Doom. I find WADS a little confusing. I addfile Ultimate Doom when playing Doom 1 and it shows all the maps in the console but it looks like nothing has changed? I'm pretty much a retard when it comes to this Doom stuff. Am I doing this right?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

James Woods Fan posted:

Doom. I find WADS a little confusing. I addfile Ultimate Doom when playing Doom 1 and it shows all the maps in the console but it looks like nothing has changed? I'm pretty much a retard when it comes to this Doom stuff. Am I doing this right?

You may find the Early FPS Megathread helpful.

In general, you want to be using a modern source port like gzDoom. You may also want a launcher like ZDLSharp, but for simple stuff you can just drag-and-drop the WADs you want onto gzdoom.exe. Now that that's out of the way, a quick overview of WADs.

First of all: WADs can only be loaded at startup. addfile is a command for use in configuration files that are loaded at startup; you can't use it from the console and expect anything to happen.

WADs come in two flavours, IWADs (Internal WADs) which are the game itself, and PWADs (Patch WADs) which add or replace levels, graphics, weapons, and suchlike. Any game of Doom involves loading one IWAD (the base game) and any number of PWADs (the patches, upgrades and mods you want for it). Modern source ports also support PK3s, which are just a more up to date format that supports the same features.

Ultimate Doom is an IWAD, the four-episode version of Doom 1. You should just be able to drop it onto gzDoom and play normally. If you wanted to play it with, say, the Metal Doom soundtrack and Brutal Doom gameplay mod, you'd select DOOM.WAD, METAL.WAD and BRUTALDOOM.PK3 and drag them all onto gzdoom.exe.

Most PWADs, unless they say otherwise, assume you're using Doom 2 as your IWAD (as they use the Doom 2 textures or weapons or enemies or what have you). So if you wanted to play, say, the Community Chest 4 map pack, you'd drag DOOM2.WAD, CCHEST4.WAD, and any other PWADs you wanted onto gzdoom.exe.

Does that help?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Traded in some old games for other old games.

Looking for hints for

GTA4: Episodes from Liberty City

Dark Souls

Rayman: Origins

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

1redflag posted:

Traded in some old games for other old games.

Looking for hints for

GTA4: Episodes from Liberty City

Dark Souls

Rayman: Origins

Dark Souls: There are a shitload of hints that could be given about this game for every single stage of play that would help you a lot, and there's no shortage of them in this thread, on the wiki, in the two Dark Souls threads, etc. I recommend, though, that you don't look at them. If you must look stuff up, find out very basic mechanical stuff. You only get one first playthrough of Dark Souls, make it as special and crazy as possible. I'll try to give you a few tips that won't spoil any of the content:

-Don't sweat your character build. Every single build is viable for PvE. The only things I would say you should do is not put points into resistance(seriously, ever. ever.) and to find a weapon that you enjoy using, then try to build around it.

-Weapons scale with different stats; you'll see on the weapon's stat screen that they have letter grades next to each stat icon. That tells you how much benefit it gets from that stat. If it has --, that means it does not scale with that stat at all.

-Upgrading your weapon and shield is generally a better investment than leveling up your character's stats. You will find a blacksmith early in the game who does this.

-You can only be invaded and see co-op signs if you are in human form(so if you don't look like beef jerky).

-Reverse hollowing at a bonfire puts you in human form. This charges you one "liquid humanity". Liquid humanity is the counter in the top left. Any humanity in that counter increases your item find and defenses a little bit, but can be lost along with your souls if you die without recovering your blood stain, so having it there is a gamble. You can also find an item called "Humanity" that appears in your inventory. The community calls this "hard humanity". Using this item gives you one liquid humanity.

-There's things called Fire Keeper Souls. Don't crush/eat/use them. Most of them you should "reinforce" with. You'll eventually come into possession of a particularly important one, and hopefully by the time you reach there(it's halfway through the game or so) you'll know which one I mean, since it belongs to someone you've met. Don't reinforce with it. It has a different item description from the others so you can tell it apart.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

ToxicFrog posted:

Does that help?

Excellent. Thank you.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

There are always more souls and humanity available, you can farm up unlimited supplies of both if you have the time so don't sweat it too much if you die before you can recover your bloodstain and you lose your stash.

If you want to level up early on but haven't settled on a weapon/style you like yet, you can't really go wrong with Endurance until it stops increasing your stamina (at 40) this will help you both block more without lowering your guard and do longer attack chains.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 10, 2012

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Chief Savage Man posted:

FTL: Faster Than Light

My first game went ok until I got boarded and all my crewmembers were slaughtered.

Help me please, I am bad at space.
First thing I do is upgrade all my doors. Then I keep as much of the ship as possible in hard vacuum. Sometimes they will teleport right into the vacuumed rooms and the time it takes them to blast through the doors they are either dead or have lost most of their health. If they teleport elsewhere you can just get your guys to leave the room and put that room in vacuum to kill the enemies.

Note that this doesn't work against boarding drones.

edit: oops didn't realise there was another page and I was beaten :(
double edit: plus what I wrote barely makes sense fixed :P

fuckpot fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 10, 2012

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Thanks for the advice, going to try again soon.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Nothing on the Wiki, anyone have any tips for Heroes of Annihilated Empires or Age of Wonders Shadow Magic ?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Any tips for Cave Story+? I'm running the game with the original graphics, music and difficulty.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

closeted republican posted:

Any tips for Cave Story+? I'm running the game with the original graphics, music and difficulty.

- There's a good ending and a bad ending. The requirements for the good ending are pretty easy to miss, so play the game as you would normally and then go look up how to do the good ending after you beat it once.

- When you get jellyfish juice to put out the fireplace, remember that there's also another fireplace in one of the buildings in the starting area. The one next to the graveyard, iirc.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

- There's a good ending and a bad ending. The requirements for the good ending are pretty easy to miss, so play the game as you would normally and then go look up how to do the good ending after you beat it once.

Also keep in mind that the good ending takes you through a new final dungeon that's very hard and it makes one of the last areas in the game a lot trickier. Don't feel like you need to get the good ending the first time through.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
TES 4: Oblivion

Never played a TES game before Skyrim, which I loved. However, I usually am far from a fan of games with dragons and swords and all that kind of stuff. I prefer my first-person RPGs along the lines of Deus Ex or Fallout.

However, after spending so much time playing Skyrim, I am now wondering if it would be worth it to give Oblivion a try after hearing so much about it for all these years.

Mainly:

1 - How different are Oblivion and Skyrim?
2 - In terms of gameplay and interface and so on, is Oblivion a real step back from Skyrim or is it more or less the same?
3 - Whatever you would want to add that's relevant?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Twee as gently caress posted:

Never played a TES game before Skyrim, which I loved. However, I usually am far from a fan of games with dragons and swords and all that kind of stuff. I prefer my first-person RPGs along the lines of Deus Ex or Fallout.

However, after spending so much time playing Skyrim, I am now wondering if it would be worth it to give Oblivion a try after hearing so much about it for all these years.

Mainly:

2 - In terms of gameplay and interface and so on, is Oblivion a real step back from Skyrim or is it more or less the same?

Context: I have played every Elder Scrolls game except the N-Gage one. I have played and beaten Battlespire, Redguard, the phone games, and everything else. Morrowind is one of my top 5 favorite games of all time and when Oblivion came out I thought it was pretty good and a worthy successor to Elder Scrolls. I think Skyrim is really good right now, as of this moment.

Don't waste your time playing Oblivion. Not only do you have to go out of your way to find mods to make it run correctly on modern systems, it looks hideous, and does virtually nothing well that Skyrim doesn't do better. The combat is worse and more tedious than Skyrim's. You need a mod to make it safe to level up unless you like spending 15 minutes hacking away at a single ogre, and I'm talking really hacking away - LMB, LMB, LMB, LMB, LMB, ad infinitum, possibly while backpedaling.

With the exception of the Dark Brotherhood and maybe the Thieves Guild, all of the quest lines are pretty uninteresting compared to Skyrim(and I don't exactly have unqualified praise for the quest lines in that game), and even with those two I feel that they are very skippable compared to all of the other awesome fantasy RPGs you could be playing.

If you simply must play the game, start a thief character, play the Dark Brotherhood, the Thieves Guild, and Shivering Isles. Then quit the game. Maybe keep it installed to play Nehrim if you like Gothic-style RPGs, but Oblivion itself has nothing else to offer you. The main quest is a pain in the rear end at best and the other guilds are just boring. The other DLC sucked. Knights of the Nine is the horse armor of dungeon crawl expansions.

Oh yeah, and the setting in Oblivion is much more generic than Skyrim's. If you want to play a first person RPG that puts a twist on traditional fantasy, try Morrowind. Morrowind is more archaic than Oblivion in terms of mechanics(for instance, Oblivion is the game that took out to-hit dice rolls; in Morrowind when you swing at an enemy, you have a chance to hit based on your weapon skill) but if you aren't normally the kind of person to hit a dragon with a +5 sword of vorpal attack then Morrowind is far more likely to be up your alley.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 13, 2012

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

1. Oblivion is Skyrim except not nearly as good. Skyrim doesn't really require any modding to be fun, Oblivion needs mods almost to be playable.

2. Both yourself and enemies have way more HP. Spell effects are less numerous and less fun, but you can create your own more powerful spells. Instead of everything being determined solely by skills and perks, you have Attributes as well (Strength, Intelligence, Endurance, etc) which affect things. You can increase attributes at level up, skills are tied to different attributes. How many times you've leveled a skill while at your current level determines how much you can level your attribute at level up. There are still "perks", but instead of Skyrim's huge amount of choices you get one perk every 25 levels of a skill that's always the same. The level and quest design is not nearly as good as Skyrim except for the Dark Brotherhood questline. Where Skyrim tried pretty hard to have every dungeon have at least one unique thing going for it (although we probably could have done with less Nord zombie tombs), Oblivion's dungeons outside of the main quest feel very same-ish.

3. Get a mod that fixes leveling lists unless you want Bandits to be wearing Glass and Daedric armor and certain enemies (high level Daedra and ghosts) to take two minutes to kill each at high levels.

EDIT: Everything in the post above mine is good advice too.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Well I guess I am going to start and try Assassin's Creed instead :smith:

.... What should I know about Assassin's Creed before I start? And I intend to start with the first one, because the story seems to have some continuity and I'd rather play them in order than the last one and work my way back

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Well I guess I am going to start and try Assassin's Creed instead :smith:

.... What should I know about Assassin's Creed before I start? And I intend to start with the first one, because the story seems to have some continuity and I'd rather play them in order than the last one and work my way back

The first one sucks. Read a summary of it on the internet and skip to the second.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think those two are slightly exaggerating about Oblivion, if you get it on the PC there's probably someone who can tell you like one or two mods that'll fix the glaring problems and the high points of it are amazing. Nothing in Skyrim is as good as the Dark Brotherhood questline, the Shivering Isles expansion or a certain artistic sidequest. Skyrim is a better game though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If you must play the first Assassin's Creed, which does indeed kind of suck by today's standards, don't do any of the side missions. Like, seriously, not even one. Each side mission you do adds a 1% chance that you will put the game down and never pick it back up again because they are so boring and tedious and you get absolutely nothing for doing them.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

1redflag posted:

Dark Souls

Don't be a pussy. This is a game that is risk vs. reward, the risk is your souls/humanity/about fifteen minutes, the reward is feeling like the goddamned Batman. Always Be Human EXCEPT for the first two areas (After you kill a giant Gargoyle then it's okay to be human from then on out)

As for weapons, they can upgrade on a regular path or get elemental enchantments added to them. The regular path is only worthwhile if you plan on making a melee-focused character that pumps the scaling stats right away, and also plan on using it for fighting other dudes and doing NG+ or more.

For your first character, ignore what the inner min-maxer wants you to do and do the following:

*Reach the requirements for a medium-weight weapon that you think is cool
*Upgrade it along an elemental path (or if you end up using magic, a magic path)
*Spend all the points you would have used leveling up to see a return on stat scaling and instead level up on Endurance and Vitality. I prefer to level up giving Vitality one point for every to I put in Endurance, so when I level up it's ENDVITENDENDVITEND until my END hits 40, then I level my VIT to 35 and only after I reach that point do I start dumping points into STR/DEX/etc.

This all changes if you want to be a mage, though, because your requirements for spells are constantly rising and you need to boost INT to make magic more powerful anyway.

e: The reason for this is because you will have more fun upgrading your armor, shield, and weapon and having a bunch of health to make mistakes with. Playing as a glass cannon is only fun if you know how to fire it, and unless you can recite from memory what talisman you need for your FTH level to enchant your max-regular-upgraded Best Dexterity Scaling weapon so it gets the best majadjust and lets you one-shot kill some minor bosses, it's better to just have a lot of health and hit things with elemental swords and stuff

Dickweasel Alpha fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 13, 2012

Pryce
May 21, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you must play the first Assassin's Creed, which does indeed kind of suck by today's standards, don't do any of the side missions. Like, seriously, not even one. Each side mission you do adds a 1% chance that you will put the game down and never pick it back up again because they are so boring and tedious and you get absolutely nothing for doing them.

This. I wouldn't advise skipping the game completely, but you should play through the main missions to get through the game as quickly as possible; the side missions are boring and don't really do anything for you.

Also, if you're playing on Xbox and care about achievements there's a pretty easy one for seeing every conversation as Desmond that you can miss by not starting it immediately. Always talk to Lucy a bunch of times after every Animus outing until she has nothing more to say.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Pryce posted:

This. I wouldn't advise skipping the game completely, but you should play through the main missions to get through the game as quickly as possible; the side missions are boring and don't really do anything for you.

While the first one is indeed pretty meh, this is a bad way to play the other Assassin's Creed games. If you don't enjoy running around and being a douche in a historical parkour simulator, you're not going to enjoy the main story that tacks on a hamfisted plot onto your shenanigans. If anything it's a game about taking your time and just enjoying how pretty everything is and seeing what happens when you try to get away from trouble you've caused, not about powering through Every Bad Conspiracy Theory: The Cutscene.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

You should really try Morrowind. Arguably the best open world RPG ever. The music is wonderful, there's tons of quests, and quest lines, and more weapon choices, including spears. Has aged pretty well, and if you're a mod fan, there's some good graphical overhauls out there.

Oblivion was a bit of a let down after playing Morrowind. They sacrificed content for graphics, and also made it atrociously repetitive. You can mod the gently caress out of it with massive overhauls, but if you want a better option for Oblivion, you want Nehrim. Nehrim is it's own game, completely wipes Oblivion clean and starts new.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Heavy Lobster posted:

While the first one is indeed pretty meh, this is a bad way to play the other Assassin's Creed games. If you don't enjoy running around and being a douche in a historical parkour simulator, you're not going to enjoy the main story that tacks on a hamfisted plot onto your shenanigans. If anything it's a game about taking your time and just enjoying how pretty everything is and seeing what happens when you try to get away from trouble you've caused, not about powering through Every Bad Conspiracy Theory: The Cutscene.

Well, yes, but we're only talking about the original Assassin's Creed here. The other ones you definitely want to see and do everything.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

gohuskies posted:

The first one sucks. Read a summary of it on the internet and skip to the second.

I think it's worth playing as long as you haven't played any of the others first. It's very raw and dirty and repetitive compared to the rest of the series, and a very difficult game to go back to, but if it's your first exposure to Assassin's creed, it's still basically a fun, if fairly flawed game.

Basically, if you find yourself getting bored with it, just start beelining through the main missions. If you still find yourself getting bored, feel free to just give up on it and go to AC2, which is a monumental leap in quality that you shouldn't miss because you've decided that AC1 is indicative of the whole series (it's not). If you're a Beastie Boys fan, it's the Paul's Boutique to AC1's Licensed to Ill (except they were both good albums in their own way so it's not a great metaphor I guess but you get what I mean).

As far as actual AC1 advice goes, the only thing I can think of is that you can counterattack with the hidden blades for an instant kill on most enemies. The timing is much less forgiving and you can't block, so if you screw it up you get hit, but it can be worth it if you get it down pat. I didn't figure out you could do that until my second play through (yes I played it more than once, but that was before AC2 came out). Of course, you have to wait until you actually unlock counterattacks before you start doing this.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What about the exclusive ps3 rpg FolkLore ? I bought it with Nier a while ago but never played it even though Nier left me disappointed. I probably should have chosen Folklore to play first.I have a hard time starting games as it is.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Fungah! posted:

Also keep in mind that the good ending takes you through a new final dungeon that's very hard and it makes one of the last areas in the game a lot trickier. Don't feel like you need to get the good ending the first time through.
To add to this, if you end up liking Cave Story in the slightest, you must get the good ending even if you have to tear your hair out doing so. The good ending is worth it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

What about the exclusive ps3 rpg FolkLore ? I bought it with Nier a while ago but never played it even though Nier left me disappointed. I probably should have chosen Folklore to play first.I have a hard time starting games as it is.

I loved Folklore when I played it a couple of years ago. It's an action-RPG with a kind of super-natural murder-mystery story set on Ireland, with a touch of Pokemon thrown in. It's really pretty and atmospheric, even if the story is pretty incomprehensible at times (probably due to the less than great translation). It can get a little repetitive if you try to get everything, so don't feel like you have to level up every monster or get every costume.

The game-play is pretty straight-forward most of the time but to capture some monsters you need to do some puzzle-solving. Every monster has a weakness that you have to find before you can capture it - and sometimes you don't have access to that kind of attack and need to return later. There's a in-game picture book you can consult for some hints. You can always tell if an attack is working or not - the enemies' blue "souls" will pop out for a second when you hit them with their weakness. Try to "stun" as many enemies as possible before capturing them all in one go for extra XP. The more of the same monsters you capture, the better they get.

It's no Devil May Cry in terms of action, but I love the design, music, atmosphere, and the story is pretty unique as well. And to be frank, I enjoyed the game-play as well, even if it's a little simple.

Don't fret about which of the two characters you should play first, just do their stories in any order you want to. The female character is more passive, and lets her monsters do the fighting. The male character rushes into harm's way and is more action-oriented.

EDIT: For goodness sakes - download the free Folklore Holiday Add-On from the PSN store. There's literally no reason not to, and I played the whole game with the male character looking like this:

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 13, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Oblivion talk:

The main questline is garbage, but there's a lot to be seen and done in the game if you ignore it. Shivering Isles is nothing short of amazing. I'd say pick up the game (the GOTY edition for the XBOX360 is like ten bucks used and includes Shivering Isles) and give it a shot.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anything I should know for Pandora's Tower?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Anything I should know for Pandora's Tower?

Check the basement of the house for an easy early gift.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I just got Arkham City. Hit me.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

1redflag posted:

Dark Souls

If something grabs you, you can usually mash out of it with the shoulder buttons. Even bosses.

L1 aims bows.

You don't have to reverse Hollowing to be summoned, but you must do so in order to summon. So don't waste Humanity when you're trying to get your jolly co-operation on.

You can't backstab if you have your shield up. You have to parry an attack when it's about to hit you, so slow it down a tad. Stability is the stat that limits how much stamina you lose from hits clanking on your shield.

If you're still getting banged up and frustrated, go heavy armor, pump Endurance, and don't even try to parry. Clank and counter can get you far enough to start building confidence; and then you get to get weird with things

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I've played the hell out of Dark Souls (and continue to do so) but might be able to pick up Demon's Souls pretty soon. I know the main differences, but what are some pointers for what I need to know regarding the stat/level-up system and the weapon/armor upgrade system?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Heavy Lobster posted:

I've played the hell out of Dark Souls (and continue to do so) but might be able to pick up Demon's Souls pretty soon. I know the main differences, but what are some pointers for what I need to know regarding the stat/level-up system and the weapon/armor upgrade system?

Demon's Souls is like Dark Souls except the gameplay is nowhere near as polished and the difficulty spikes all over the place from "pathetic" to "blatantly unfair".

Major gameplay differences: Poise doesn't exist and there is no midroll, so go with light armor. You have a magic bar instead of set casts for spells. You have a stock of healing items instead of a limited number of Estus Flasks you can restore at checkpoints, and can carry up to 99 of each of them. This both breaks the game wide open and also makes it very annoying when you run out because then you have to go grind up some more.

There's something called World Tendency and it is the dumbest thing ever so just ignore it unless you are massively concerned about seeing every little bonus event and a couple extra weapons.

No levels have mid-level checkpoints, so be more cautious because dying is more frustrating than fun.

Learn how to dupe items to 99. Grinding in this game is more necessary than in Dark Souls and gets really tedious really fast. You collect souls a lot slower and you have to grind up upgrade items. Some upgrade items will almost never drop, and some you can even exhaust every source of them on a playthrough without having any drop. It also means you don't have to grind for healing items.

There's a guy hidden in 2-1 that can upgrade your weapons further once you give him the soul you get for clearing 2-2.

Armor variety is nowhere near as good as Dark Souls and you can't upgrade any armor sets.

Careful not to roll land onto Sage Freke too many times. Walk around to him, don't jump down to him.

You lose half of your max HP in spirit form, which you enter every time you die and can only leave by doing stuff online, killing a boss, or using a rare item of which there are a limited amount in the game. Find the Cling Ring in 1-1 to reduce the loss in max HP.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

jonjonaug posted:

You lose half of your max HP in spirit form, which you enter every time you die and can only leave by doing stuff online, killing a boss, or using a rare item of which there are a limited amount in the game. Find the Cling Ring in 1-1 to reduce the loss in max HP.

There's a guy in the hub that has a number of useful items available for purchase. One of them is the item you need, so they are not limited (unless he runs out, I dunno)

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

ManSedan posted:

If you've played Arkham Asylum, then you'll be fine. Just be sure to do the Augmented Reality missions as soon as they become available.

If you're new to the combat, then you'll want to put forward a concentrated effort to figure it out. It bears little resemblance to anything else out there, so you'll have to be aware that some of your core assumptions won't play out. You will gently caress it up, probably a lot. It took me more than half of the first game to progress from barely competent to good at the combat system. Assuming you're less of an obstinate rear end in a top hat than me, you'll probably struggle through combat for a good while. It gets way, way better once you figure it out.

Specific tips:
  • Stay in a combo as much as possible. The ideal way to clear any fight is to seamlessly chain attacks, counter-attacks and dodges until everyone else is left broken and bleeding on the floor.
  • Most enemies don't have health. Instead, certain attacks will knock them down, and other attacks will knock them out. The game's pretty merciful on this point, so it will introduce you slowly to different enemy types (which demand different approaches) and enemies will get knocked out if you knock them down enough.
  • The upgrades that allow you to build combo multipliers faster and use special attacks more frequently are pretty great.
  • Manage the crowd. You'll almost always be fighting more than one person at a time, so focus on tactics (the cape) that give you more breathing room when you need it.
  • You can chain dodges without breaking your combo, so flip around like a coked-up ballerina if you'd rather be at the edge of a crowd than the center.
The stealth sections are a lot easier to get a handle on. Experiment a little and you'll find dozens of ways to take down a guy. You will need to know them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

ManSedan posted:

Prepare yourself for one of the best games and the greatest video game voice performance ever.