Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

Goddamn hippie kids and hippie wife!

Dinner conversation about twin formation in the womb quickly went to 'where do kids come from' and to check my wife asked if the kids knew how the sperm got introduced to the egg..

The answer was, literarily 'Yes, that happens when you insert the penis in the pussy by loving...'

Discussion quickly degenerated to 'if you call it a pussy, you need to call it a cock, and then it is entirely appropriate to say loving - however if you elect to call it a penis, you need to call it a vagina, and you do that by having intercourse'..

We then discussed the male need to give nicknames to their members, and they asked me to tell what I called mine!

I live in the goddamn 70's!

I have no idea what the long term effect of this is!

The Hat household is the best household.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Onion,
luminous flask,
your beauty formed
petal by petal,
crystal scales expanded you
and in the secrecy of the dark earth
your belly grew round with dew.
Under the earth
the miracle
happened
and when your clumsy
green stem appeared,
and your leaves were born
like swords
in the garden,
the earth heaped up her power
showing your naked transparency,
and as the remote sea
in lifting the breasts of Aphrodite
duplicating the magnolia,
so did the earth
make you,
onion
clear as a planet
and destined
to shine,
constant constellation,
round rose of water,
upon
the table
of the poor.

You make us cry without hurting us.
I have praised everything that exists,
but to me, onion, you are
more beautiful than a bird
of dazzling feathers,
heavenly globe, platinum goblet,
unmoving dance
of the snowy anemone

and the fragrance of the earth lives
in your crystalline nature.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Pablo Neruda wrote that, for real.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Well, I didn't think it was you.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The first Neruda I saw was ode to the tomato. http://www.soupsong.com/ftomato2.html

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Holy poo poo.

Best (creepiest) FDA warning letter I've read in a loooonnnng time.

Mr. Karim A. Nazary, Owner
Kamawi, Inc.
8532 Terminal Rd.; Suite Q
Lorton, VA 22079-1428

Dear Mr. Nazary:

We inspected your firm, a manufacturer of ready-to-eat (RTE) flatbreads and other Afghan foods, located at 8532 Q Terminal Road, Lorton, VA 22079-1428 on October 4, 10, 16, and 18, 2012. The inspection found significant violations of FDA’s Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations in manufacturing, packing, or holding human food, Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 110 (21 CFR Part 110). Furthermore, two samples were collected for filth analysis during the inspection. Laboratory evaluation of Investigational Sample 748481 confirmed the presence of bird excreta at five locations, including direct product contact surfaces, on the conveyor belt in your production area. Laboratory evaluation of Investigational Sample 777207 confirmed the presence of rodent excreta pellets (REPs) at five locations in your warehouse area where finished product packaging is stored. Collectively, these CGMP violations and adverse laboratory findings cause the foods manufactured at your facility to be adulterated within the meaning of section 402(a)(4) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act) [21 U.S.C. §342(a)(4)] in that they were prepared, packed, or held under insanitary conditions whereby they may have been contaminated with filth or rendered injurious to health. You can find the Act and its implementing regulations on FDA’s home page https://www.fda.gov1.

Specifically, our inspection of your facility revealed the following CGMP violations:

1.) Your firm failed to take effective measures to exclude pests from processing areas and to protect against the contamination of food on the premises by pests, as required by 21 CFR 110.35(c). There was evidence of widespread bird and rodent activity throughout your facility. Specifically, our investigators observed the following:

a. At least three (3) birds were observed flying directly above RTE flatbreads in the processing room, and one (1) bird was observed to land directly on a RTE flatbread cooling on level two of the conveyor belt.
b. Bird excreta too numerous to count were observed on the top and side surfaces of the conveyor belts used to transport RTE flatbreads from the ovens to the packaging area.
c. One (1) bird was observed excreting its waste directly onto a permeable bag of flour located in the processing room.
d. One (1) bird was observed landing in an open bowl of flour and pecking at the flour with its beak.
e. One (1) live mouse was observed running across Suite S, which is where the Pastry Room and walk-in cooler are located.
f. REPs too numerous to count were observed on a shelf in the warehouse that also contained RTE flatbread packaging materials.

2.) Your firm failed to provide adequate screening or other protection against pests, as required by 21 CFR 110.20(b)(7). Specifically, our investigators observed the following:

a. A screen door on the southwestern wall of the processing room had a tear, approximately five (5) inches by three (3) inches.
b. Two (2) windows were partially open, approximately twelve (12) inches by four (4) inches, along the southwestern wall of the processing room.
c. The loading dock door, approximately eight (8) feet by eight (8) feet in size, was held open approximately two and one-half (2.5) hours even though it was not continuously in use.

Previous inspections of your firm, occurring March 31 through April 2, 2009 and August 12 through 15, 2011, have also cited your firm for failing to provide adequate screening or other protection against pests.

3.) Your firm failed to clean food-contact surfaces as frequently as necessary to protect against contamination of food, as required by 21 CFR 110.35(d). Specifically, our investigators observed that the entire top surface of the conveyor belt, approximately 260 feet of metal bars was covered in a blackened sticky substance and apparent dust-like particles too numerous to count.

4.) Employees failed to wear hair nets where appropriate, as required by 21 CFR 110.10(b)(6). Specifically, our investigator observed on October 4, 2012 an employee packaging RTE white and whole wheat flatbreads in the processing area while not wearing a hair net.

This same deficiency was cited during a previous inspection of your firm that took place August 12 through 15, 2011.

This letter may not list all the violations at your facility. You are responsible for ensuring that all of your products are in compliance with the applicable statutes and regulations administered by FDA. You should take prompt action to correct these violations. Failure to promptly correct these violations may result in regulatory action by FDA without further notice. Such action includes seizure of your products and/or injunction

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
That letter is amazing. Not a facility you are associated with, I imagine. Am I alone in liking the phrase "Filth Analysis"? It's a good band name.

BTW deleting the name of the firm not that useful when you leave the address in.

Oh, Happy Hat, have you seen the Lukas Moodyson film Together? Are you and/or your family in the Lukas Moodyson film Together?

therattle fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 12, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

NosmoKing posted:

a. At least three (3) birds were observed flying directly above RTE flatbreads in the processing room, and one (1) bird was observed to land directly on a RTE flatbread cooling on level two of the conveyor belt.
b. Bird excreta too numerous to count were observed on the top and side surfaces of the conveyor belts used to transport RTE flatbreads from the ovens to the packaging area.
c. One (1) bird was observed excreting its waste directly onto a permeable bag of flour located in the processing room.
d. One (1) bird was observed landing in an open bowl of flour and pecking at the flour with its beak.
e. One (1) live mouse was observed running across Suite S, which is where the Pastry Room and walk-in cooler are located.
f. REPs too numerous to count were observed on a shelf in the warehouse that also contained RTE flatbread packaging materials.

:gonk:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

NosmoKing posted:

What in the baby blue jesus gently caress. :gonk: There was a bird, eating from a bowl of flour. Why the crap did they have birds in there. Also, what is a REP. Is that like an ROUS?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dino. posted:

What in the baby blue jesus gently caress. :gonk: There was a bird, eating from a bowl of flour. Why the crap did they have birds in there. Also, what is a REP. Is that like an ROUS?

That's in the intro. REP =rodent excreta pellets

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Here I was trying to class the joint up with sexy earth mother onion poetry and you bring that poo poo in.

Same as it ever was.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
So, Alton Brown posted a pic on his FB saying "real" Kobe Beef is now "legal" in the US.

Why would "real" and "legal" be in quotation marks?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Pablo Neruda is a smart man. Onions rock.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So, Alton Brown posted a pic on his FB saying "real" Kobe Beef is now "legal" in the US.

Because "Real" Kobe beef actually refers to the region/terrain it was raised in, so technically it's impossible to get in North America without importing it, which I think is also very difficult to do. e: I checked the Wiki article, and I think lots of people assume that Kobe beef comes from the Kobe cow or something and it's as easy as moving the cow. No... :negative:

edit: Does he link to an article or anything?

edit: VVV That IS pretty weird, I should follow him haha. I looked it up myself and it just sounds like they'll be exporting it now that the mad cow scare is over. But it'll still be price-gougingly ridiculous here I think (Moreso than its current high price in Japan), I can imagine importing it costing more than other meats to ship due to the lower melting point for its massive amounts of fat, not to mention sheer demand for *real* kobe beef in the US. :spergin: Here's the article I found, it's two weeks old already though.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 12, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Nah. It was just a picture of a slice of beef with a note on it.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Alton's tweets are usually just pictures of post-it notes. He writes responses to other tweets on the post-its, puts them on his computer screen below the tweet he's responding to, takes a picture and posts that. Every so often he'll put in a typed word here or there, but not usually. Alton -- has a strange history with twitter.

Neither here nor there, just weird.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

dino. posted:

Bird excreta too numerous to count were observed on the top and side surfaces of the conveyor belts used to transport RTE flatbreads from the ovens to the packaging area

My favorite part of the thing other than the bird making GBS threads on the product while the inspectors were in the facility.

Let me put that in plain English for those of you not familiar with FDA-speak.

"The conveyor belt used to carry ready-to-eat flatbreads from the ovens to the packaging area are literally covered in bird poo poo. Coated. Can't tell where one wad of bird poo poo starts and the other stops. And you are running human food on that conveyor belt.

That's not ok."

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Because the United States doesnt recognize foreign countries copyright laws, so legally words like champagne snd kobe beef don't have any legal meaning here. Until aug 2012 it was literally illegal to import actual Kobe beef at all

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Seriously?

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Everything I've read up until now about Kobe beef makes me think it is the :spergin:-est meat.

VVV I have no basis of comparison but I do love a dry aged steak. From looking at pictures and the description of its texture, I feel like Kobe beef would probably do best served as a carpaccio or tartare, but that's kind of comparing apples to oranges if we're talking about whole, grilled steaks.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 12, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Clavietika posted:

Everything I've read up until now about Kobe beef makes me think it is the :spergin:-est meat.

In my experience it is the most-overrated. Give me a dry aged prime over a slob of kobe any day.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ChetReckless posted:

Alton's tweets are usually just pictures of post-it notes. He writes responses to other tweets on the post-its, puts them on his computer screen below the tweet he's responding to, takes a picture and posts that. Every so often he'll put in a typed word here or there, but not usually. Alton -- has a strange history with twitter.

Neither here nor there, just weird.

willing to bet he's just like 'gently caress twitter' and gives an assistant a stack of postit notes he's scribbled on to post periodically.

edit actually maybe that's giving him too much credit

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Gourd of Taste posted:

spatch every cock

I thought this was going to be the beginning of the most beautiful GWS version of "Climb Every Mountain".

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

mindphlux posted:

willing to bet he's just like 'gently caress twitter' and gives an assistant a stack of postit notes he's scribbled on to post periodically.

They often come in big dumps, like this:

Which end up looking like this:

He's recently taken to using a typewriter to type onto the post-its, as well. That was after someone gave him crap about not "typing" his tweets -- apparently he really likes typewriters and has a bunch of them.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

(read it out loud.)

The Onion

The onion, now that's something else.
Its innards don't exist.
Nothing but pure onionhood
fills this devout onionist.
Oniony on the inside,
onionesque it appears,
It follows its own daimonion
without our human tears.

Our skin is just a coverup
for the land where none dare go,
an internal infermo,
the anathema of anatomy.
In an onion there's only onion
from its top to its toe,
onionymous monomania,
unanimous omninudity.

At peace, of a piece,
internally at rest.
Inside it, there's a smaller one
of undiminished worth.
The second holds a third one,
the third contains a fourth.
A centripetal fugue.
Polyphony compressed.

Nature's rotundest tummy,
its greatest success story,
the onion drapes itself in its
own aureoles of glory.
We hold veins, nerves and fat,
secretions' secret sections.
Not for us such idiotic
onionoid perfections.

--Wislawa Szymborska

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Having a clean oven is amazing.

Sprayed down main oven chamber with Easy Off multiple times. Wiped down.

Still stank when I turned on the oven.

Took out the broiler tray and found puddles of Easy Off and black burnt oil underneath the oven. Crawled down and wiped out everything.

No more smoke, even at 500. Just the smell of roasting meat and caramelizing carrots.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!

NosmoKing posted:

Bird excreta too numerous to count were observed on the top and side surfaces of the conveyor belts used to transport RTE flatbreads from the ovens to the packaging area

My favorite part of the thing other than the bird making GBS threads on the product while the inspectors were in the facility.

Let me put that in plain English for those of you not familiar with FDA-speak.

"The conveyor belt used to carry ready-to-eat flatbreads from the ovens to the packaging area are literally covered in bird poo poo. Coated. Can't tell where one wad of bird poo poo starts and the other stops. And you are running human food on that conveyor belt.

That's not ok."

Holy christ, how is that not grounds to shut the loving place down? :gonk: Unless I'm reading the letter wrong, but it reads like "hey, you should really clean this poo poo up, just like the other two times we cited you for disgusting food handling"

Actually, how does the FDA usually handle stuff like this? Would the facility have been shut down since Oct 18th or are places allowed to keep production going while they do investigations and stuff?

This is also really special:

quote:

Previous inspections of your firm, occurring March 31 through April 2, 2009 and August 12 through 15, 2011, have also cited your firm for failing to provide adequate screening or other protection against pests.

3.) Your firm failed to clean food-contact surfaces as frequently as necessary to protect against contamination of food, as required by 21 CFR 110.35(d). Specifically, our investigators observed that the entire top surface of the conveyor belt, approximately 260 feet of metal bars was covered in a blackened sticky substance and apparent dust-like particles too numerous to count.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Places do eventually get shut down/go out of business from health violations. I remember there was a bakery chain in Indianapolis (Roselyn bakeries) that eventually shut down from rat infestations, which was a shame because I remembered loving their stuff as a kid. They had these big smiley face cookies (think those yellow smiley faces), and tea cookies with icing in the center, and some horrible chimera of fudge and brownie, and a bunch of other stuff I am probably forgetting. All of their stores eventually got turned into payday loan places or other shady businesses like that. But I would hope something that bad would be shut down real quick.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ate at Apiary. Tasting menu. Then saw Medeski, Martin, and Wood with Nels Cline. Was a good night. A+++++

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Never pegged you for an adult contemporary jazz fusion guy. Huh.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Eeyo posted:

Places do eventually get shut down/go out of business from health violations. I remember there was a bakery chain in Indianapolis (Roselyn bakeries) that eventually shut down from rat infestations, which was a shame because I remembered loving their stuff as a kid. They had these big smiley face cookies (think those yellow smiley faces), and tea cookies with icing in the center, and some horrible chimera of fudge and brownie, and a bunch of other stuff I am probably forgetting. All of their stores eventually got turned into payday loan places or other shady businesses like that. But I would hope something that bad would be shut down real quick.
Bunch of other stuff = REPs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Naw, those were just sprinkles.

(wipes sprinkles off ice cream cone)

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Dear E/N,
I think I may be pulling the cord on my present job...

The kids do not like it anymore! And I have a plan for a book that could be fun to write.

I do, however, have a few job interviews lined up. Basically it will depend on whether I want to take 9 months downtime and do the writing..

Also - considering being a stay-at-home dad, while wife can pursue her career as a hard rear end (she's he confrontational one in the family - where I am way more meek and subservient).

Also I managed to piss off the HR Global Senior VP - but that is a different story. It is apparently wrong to say that people exhibit sycophantic behavior patterns when he quotes them for praising his processes.

It probably didn't help that I had to explain the words to him.

I love you GWS

Your pal

Happy Hat

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
let me be the first to say I will buy any book you write

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Also is it pulling the cord or pulling the chord?

The last one makes the least sense to me! The first one would be more sensical since it may have to do with parachutes...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The first. Unless you're writing a song. Are you writing songs?

Say yes.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Being a stay at home dad so your wife can work is pretty awesome.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The more common turn of phrase is probably pulling the plug, but cord gets the point across.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Happy Hat posted:

Also I managed to piss off the HR Global Senior VP - but that is a different story. It is apparently wrong to say that people exhibit sycophantic behavior patterns when he quotes them for praising his processes.

It probably didn't help that I had to explain the words to him.

I love you GWS
We love you too, Happy Hat. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

bartolimu posted:

The more common turn of phrase is probably pulling the plug, but cord gets the point across.

Pulling the plug insures that the connection inside the plug stable. I usually don't care and pull the cord on alot of cables I rig. This leads to cables that can no longer function. I feel it's a legit interpretation of the idiomatic phrase.