Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So there's no way to see related artists on the iPhone app right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Spotify is not doing too well, despite increasing subscriber numbers: http://www.businessinsider.com/spotify-revenue-2012-10

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Charlie Mopps posted:

Spotify is not doing too well, despite increasing subscriber numbers: http://www.businessinsider.com/spotify-revenue-2012-10

These are numbers from 2011; spotify wasn't even available in the US during that time. Any idea what's been going on this year?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Does anyone know what's up with the BBC 6 playlist? It's usually updated every week, but it has been a month since the last update.

I don't know if this is the thread I'm supposed to pose this question in, but it's my favorite playlist and I miss it. :(

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 8, 2012

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Eegah posted:

These are numbers from 2011; spotify wasn't even available in the US during that time. Any idea what's been going on this year?

IANAA(ccountant) but it looks like a lot of that increased loss comes from additional personnel (prepping for US launch?)

In fact, their gross income (revenue minus cost not including HR?) went from red to black so I wouldn't count them out yet.

But I could be wrong about the whole thing.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

kittenmittons posted:

Does anyone know what's up with the BBC 6 playlist? It's usually updated every week, but it has been a month since the last update.

I don't know if this is the thread I'm supposed to pose this question in, but it's my favorite playlist and I miss it. :(
You can make your own just by searching music from here http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/listen/playlist.shtml

nametilf
Jun 12, 2012

sweek0 posted:

I'm constantly having the same issue here. I download a playlist to my Samsung GS3 which is running the latest version, it downloads all the songs and plays fine for a while. Then next time I'm somewhere without any reception it'll all have disappeared. When I'm back online and press the download button again it completes it all immediately. It clearly still has the songs, but they become marked as not downloaded somehow? This keeps happening to the same couple of playlists - my newest playlists. It looks like I'm not the only one with this issue but does anyone know anything else about it?

I listen to a lot of music while I'm in places without reception (abroad or on the subway) and it's become infuriating to be somewhere not have any of the music I just downloaded.

I have the same setup, and spotify on the gs3. Try going into the setting and switching to offline in spotify. I've never had the issue where it's trying to redownload saved playlists, but when there's no reception it will have every playlist grayed out. Putting spotify into offline mode will fix this issue and it may help you out too.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Anyone know if there are global hot keys program for Spotify on Windows 7?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eegah posted:

Hopefully it's doing fine, I went to Pandora to try and see what else sounds like Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (I know nothing about post-punk or whatever genre they're in) and it got four songs in before the station told me it was out of songs.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
New changes coming early next year: http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/6/3736018/spotify-debuts-new-discovery-engine-collection-and-follow-which-lets

quote:

Some examples of content boxes on the new Discover page are "You listen to David Guetta and Skrillex. You might like Avicii," and "Since you follow The Knife, we recommend Deep Cuts for your collection." The recommendation engine works based on music you've listened to in the past, as well as based on artists you follow. There also appears to be a recommendation engine for showing you artists that are touring near you.

quote:

Spotify's new Collection feature is a new section in its app that lets you keep your music in one place, instead of in a variety of playlists in a sidebar like before. [...] A fundamental behavior on Spotify is that people listen to whole albums. A third of all playlists on Spotify are just albums people have saved. It was clear people want to listen to albums and wanted an easy way to save them, so for us [Collection view] is just about making it easier for users to save music the way they wanted.

quote:

Spotify also announced Follow, a new section in its app that lets you follow friends, celebrities like Shakira and Ashton Kutcher, Barack Obama, and others. Once you follow some people, the music they're listening to and playlists they're creating populate your Discovery feed.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

wow, these all sound like great updates, anticipating this muchly, thanks.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
:siren: Full Metallica library (finally) available! :siren:

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I don't know if anyone's noticed this yet, but Spotify's browser app seems to be up and running.

https://play.spotify.com/

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

MMD3 posted:

wow, these all sound like great updates, anticipating this muchly, thanks.

Ya serious the album thing is going to be great. If its exactly as I am imagining it to be.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Friends Are Evil posted:

I don't know if anyone's noticed this yet, but Spotify's browser app seems to be up and running.

https://play.spotify.com/

Not working yet for me :( any trick to it?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
That link doesn't do anything helpful for me either, just lets me log in then basically gives me a spiel.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

abraham linksys posted:

Not working yet for me :( any trick to it?

Found this in some comments section somewhere. It automatically played some terrible album, but once I clicked it, the browser beta started working for me. Your mileage may vary.

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009
Wow Collections was the thing I wanted that Rdio had. Only thing missing is the ability to upload/cloud sync music they don't have.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Friends Are Evil posted:

Found this in some comments section somewhere. It automatically played some terrible album, but once I clicked it, the browser beta started working for me. Your mileage may vary.

This is the best thing. Does anyone know if it's possible to scrobble to last.fm using this though?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nice, finally new features since they released the app a few years ago. Webplayer looks cool and will probably be useful on machines where you can't install Spotify.

Also Spotify really doesn't provide tools to listen to albums or discover new music so those features are welcome. Playlists are so... kludgy. I never use them with Foobar :/

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Quandary posted:

This is the best thing. Does anyone know if it's possible to scrobble to last.fm using this though?

It doesn't scrobble. Also, I don't seem to have the new features on Chrome.

Also, screw you, buddy: the Cazzette album is pretty great.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I don't understand how the business model of paying fractions of a penny in royalties to artists and record labels is going to work out in the long run if more and more people just start streaming music off of services like Spotify. It seems like the end game will be either releases by large mega labels or independent artists just recording stuff on their computer and nothing inbetween.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I don't understand how the business model of paying fractions of a penny in royalties to artists and record labels is going to work out in the long run if more and more people just start streaming music off of services like Spotify. It seems like the end game will be either releases by large mega labels or independent artists just recording stuff on their computer and nothing inbetween.

Honestly, if someone DID understand how things will turn out in the long run, that person would be making bank as a music exec.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

Also Spotify really doesn't provide tools to listen to albums or discover new music so those features are welcome. Playlists are so... kludgy. I never use them with Foobar :/

I've never had a problem listening to albums. You just click on an album name, start with the first track, and it plays right through.

As for discovery, Spotify itself is weak in that regard (it has "artist radio stations", but they don't work very well) but that's where apps come in.

VALIS666
Jan 15, 2007

Fnord!

Quandary posted:

I'm sure someone will eventually write a script. Until then try Universal Scrobbler. http://universalscrobbler.invitationstation.org/

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've just switched from an iPod touch to an Android phone to store my music. Both store music at the same quality and I've downloaded just about the same number of songs between the two but on the iPod it takes up about 20gb and roughly the same amount of music takes up about 8gb on my phone. Is there a difference between normal quality between the devices? Any ideas as to why this is happening? Maybe all the music didn't actually download to the phone?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Earwicker posted:

I've never had a problem listening to albums. You just click on an album name, start with the first track, and it plays right through.

Well yeah, but then you have to search for the album every time you want to listen to it. Might not be an issue for some, but if such a large percentage of their user playlists are just single albums, then there's clearly some missing functionality.

Sqeetschy
Mar 28, 2010
So, I just accidentally a way to log into any Spotify account without a password... big deal?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

webmeister posted:

Well yeah, but then you have to search for the album every time you want to listen to it. Might not be an issue for some, but if such a large percentage of their user playlists are just single albums, then there's clearly some missing functionality.

That's one thing I loved about Rdio when I tried it out - you can add albums to your Collection. Would love a similar feature on Spotify since I'm mainly listen to full albums.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Sqeetschy posted:

So, I just accidentally a way to log into any Spotify account without a password... big deal?

Yes, I don't want christian Dubstep added to my playlist. Go report it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Our father who art in----WUBWUBWUB

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Sqeetschy posted:

I would recommend taking some screenshots to prove it and reporting it to Spotify support.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I love Spotify! Premium is fantastic!

While I'm here, am I the only one addicted to making playlists that exactly three of my friends listen to?

Sqeetschy
Mar 28, 2010
Well gently caress you too, Spotify support. Thank me for helping, then imply I am lying and too stupid to understand your reasoning, then when I have to tell you every loving simple step in cruciating detail you just never reply.
On the plus side they fixed the flaw on the same day. It was possible to login to the account "sqeetschy" by using "Sqeetschy" or "sQeetschy" as the login name for the registration. This was possible for every single (non-facebook) Spotify account.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
I just got the spotify social update, so far I'm mosty amused by the suggestions of people to follow, but it's a step up from the Spotify of old.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT
The new album page layout makes classical music pieces incredibly obnoxious to find.

Which brings it in line with the mobile app, I guess.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I haven't seen the new update pop up yet. Is it a regional thing?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Zorkon posted:

The new album page layout makes classical music pieces incredibly obnoxious to find.

To be fair, I've never, ever seen any music service that made classical music easy to find. Hell, I've never found anything that managed to get tags right either. The whole composer-conductor-symphony-soloist mess is a major pain.

I can't really get social or discover to show up on any combination of Linux/Windows desktop/web clients, oh well.

Does Spotify do podcasts at all? All I've ever found was annoyance that Planet Money announcing that they're on Spotify actually just means that their music clips are on a playlist there, which I don't care about at all.

skram
Dec 15, 2005
I almost feel stupid for asking this because surely I'm missing something..

Is there a way to track of the last song I listened to in a playlist? It's getting harder and harder to tell which songs I havent listened to in the playlists I'm subscribed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Zorkon posted:

Even the dutch national music library is a bitch about this and you'd expect librarians to be total geeks about this sort of thing.

• Locked thread