Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

lazer_chicken posted:

Changing the spark plugs is hilariously awful on the 3-valve modular. It uses really long spark plugs that like to break off in the head, which then takes a special (expensive) tool to remove the broken plug. Most shops are going to charge a lot to do it because they know that most likely at least one plug is going to break. A shop near me charges $500 labor (plus parts) for plugs on the 3-valve. Have the spark plugs ever been changed? If not then that's a good place to start. 146k is a lot for original plugs.

You can do it yourself, changing plugs is not hard in and of itself, but make sure you are 110% prepared to deal with it if one breaks.

I refuse to believe it's worse than changing the plugs on a 4th gen Camaro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd say it's six of one, half dozen of the other; at least in a LT1 or LS1, you aren't expecting the plug to stick in the head or the threads in the head to fail. You just have zero room to work on poo poo.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
I would rather do a 4th gen because at least the plugs aren't going to break off in the head and leave you hosed. It's a pain in the rear end, that's for sure, but at least you can trudge your way through to success and you aren't at random luck's mercy as to whether the plugs will break.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

lazer_chicken posted:

Changing the spark plugs is hilariously awful on the 3-valve modular. It uses really long spark plugs that like to break off in the head, which then takes a special (expensive) tool to remove the broken plug. Most shops are going to charge a lot to do it because they know that most likely at least one plug is going to break. A shop near me charges $500 labor (plus parts) for plugs on the 3-valve. Have the spark plugs ever been changed? If not then that's a good place to start. 146k is a lot for original plugs.

You can do it yourself, changing plugs is not hard in and of itself, but make sure you are 110% prepared to deal with it if one breaks.

I'm competent enough to do ordinary work with manuals/hand holding. I've done less complicated tune-ups, changed a few heads, even rebuilt a 6.2 hmmwv engine. However, given what I have in the way of personal tools, I am completely unprepared to deal with a broken spark plug.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Oh you've got lots of experience then. If it were me, I would do the plugs myself and pray they came out fine, and then have it towed to a shop just for removal of the broken ones if any of them broke. I bet that would end up being cheaper than paying a shop to do it all, even if a couple broke. But certainly get some quotes and see.

If you're curious, here is the TSB from ford for how to change the plugs. This is technically for the F150 but it's the same on the Mustang. http://www.f150forum.com/f12/must-read-before-you-try-change-your-plugs-5-4l-3-valve-engine-198/

Basically, the idea is to back the plug out 1/4 turn, douse in penetrating oil, tighten and loosen 1/4 turn a bunch of times, and hope the bottom half of the plug has come unstuck by the time you start backing the plug out all the way.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

lazer_chicken posted:

Oh you've got lots of experience then. If it were me, I would do the plugs myself and pray they came out fine, and then have it towed to a shop just for removal of the broken ones if any of them broke. I bet that would end up being cheaper than paying a shop to do it all, even if a couple broke. But certainly get some quotes and see.

If you're curious, here is the TSB from ford for how to change the plugs. This is technically for the F150 but it's the same on the Mustang. http://www.f150forum.com/f12/must-read-before-you-try-change-your-plugs-5-4l-3-valve-engine-198/

Basically, the idea is to back the plug out 1/4 turn, douse in penetrating oil, tighten and loosen 1/4 turn a bunch of times, and hope the bottom half of the plug has come unstuck by the time you start backing the plug out all the way.

I loving hate engineers that never work on the poo poo they design.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

A.o.D. posted:

The 100k spark plug change interval is longer than the powertrain warranty so they give no fucks.

On the plus side, there are improved 1-piece spark plugs now which should help next time around.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

lazer_chicken posted:

What the christ, Ford

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Update! I checked around a few places, and got various combinations of unacceptably high prices or unacceptably long waits to have the service performed. I learned definitively what I have going on is 3 of the coils are misfiring and the plugs need replaced. So I decided to bite the bullet and risk doing the work myself (even bought a chilton's just to have a reference).

BUT SUDDENLY!

I discovered a performance shop that does basically everything. Restomods, tuning, they have a dyno, all sorts of poo poo. And they do routine maintenace too! Their quote was still pretty high, but cheaper than every other quote I've gotten so far, and would get the work done in the space of just a couple of hours. Sweet.

The only problem is that it's loving Christmas time, and I couldn't even afford to get the parts if I did the work myself. Holy poo poo those coils are expensive.

The best part is that I've found a local resource that has done all kinds of poo poo, from building donks (ugh) to restoring a million dollar 1958 Mercedes, to performing coyote and LS swaps.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
It sounds like you are planning on replacing the coils? That's unnecessary. Just do the plugs. The coils are most likely fine. The misfire in the coil is really just the plug. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting what you wrote. Anyway, if you need to replace coils later then they are super easy to do, so save the money now.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
Hydroplaned my GT yesterday at freeway speeds. Clipped the embankment going sideways and rolled 2 or three times. Walked away with a cut on my head from a crash the paramedics said should probably have killed me. These are good cars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Locobono posted:

Hydroplaned my GT yesterday at freeway speeds. Clipped the embankment going sideways and rolled 2 or three times. Walked away with a cut on my head from a crash the paramedics said should probably have killed me. These are good cars.

Is the drivetrain ok? :ohdear:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Locobono posted:

It's overlooked a lot by people making fun of live axles and whatnot, but the Mustang is a safe, reliable car.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

frozenphil posted:

It's overlooked a lot by people making fun of live axles and whatnot, but the Mustang is a safe, reliable car.

Nobody is disputing that; It's just the drivers that tend to cause the issue with any car. :can:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

frozenphil posted:

True, but I think that might've been a mistake that 80 grit can't fix :v:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Viggen posted:

Nobody is disputing that; It's just the drivers that tend to cause the issue with any car. :can:

I tend to see Mustangs lumped into the "lol Americrap" category a lot and it's just not true. Hydroplaning is just one of those things that you can't do much about, really. You can try to prevent it by driving for the conditions and you can try to correct it, but most of the time once you start you're pretty much along for the ride.

IOwnCalculus posted:

True, but I think that might've been a mistake that 80 grit can't fix :v:

That's some kind of pinko commie defeatist attitude! :v:

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Powershift posted:

Is the drivetrain ok? :ohdear:
....no. Time to start speccing out a '13. I like that they have about 20 more HP and have done away with the unpainted plastic bumper sections, but those new HID's and outline tail lights look a little :gay:. Maybe I can swap em out.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Locobono posted:

....no. Time to start speccing out a '13. I like that they have about 20 more HP and have done away with the unpainted plastic bumper sections, but those new HID's and outline tail lights look a little :gay:. Maybe I can swap em out.

I'm sure you won't have any problems finding someone willing to swap head and tail lights with you if you make a post on a Mustang forum.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

frozenphil posted:

I'm sure you won't have any problems finding someone willing to swap head and tail lights with you if you make a post on a Mustang forum.

Probably. Thank god I moved out of the sticks and have access to more than one dealership this time around. Think I can argue them down to 31.5k for a tricked out GT premium w/ nav? the 14's are gonna drop in February, after all.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Locobono posted:

Probably. Thank god I moved out of the sticks and have access to more than one dealership this time around. Think I can argue them down to 31.5k for a tricked out GT premium w/ nav? the 14's are gonna drop in February, after all.

Glad you are OK. I have an 11 base GT. I would be interested in getting the front HIDs and the LED (I think) back lights if you want to trade. Let me know.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Figuring out how to take the lift out of my SN95, here is my plan.

Rear:
1989 FORD MUSTANG Strange Externally Adjustable Mustang Shocks
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/str-s6000em/overview/

$69.95 (x2)

1979-2004 MUSTANG MAXIMUM REAR COIL OVER KIT SILVER FOR STRANGE ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-rear-coil-over-kit-strange.html

$269.99

Front:
1994 FORD MUSTANG Strange Externally Adjustable Mustang Struts
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/str-s6005lm/overview/year/1994/make/ford/model/mustang

$119.95 (x2)

79-04 MUSTANG STEALTH FRONT COIL OVER KIT WITH SPRINGS BLACK
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-pro-series-coil-over-kit-springs-black.html

$239.99

Mustang Caster Camber Plates
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=514_2_77&products_id=256

$209.97

Total: $1099.75

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Locobono posted:

For the love of god don't buy in vehicle nav.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

A.o.D. posted:

For the love of god don't buy in vehicle nav.

I had it in my '11 and it was great. Why wouldn't I want it again?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Locobono posted:

It's a bad value for the money you're spending on the feature. Navigation is nice, but not at the price point and upkeep costs dealerships will stick you for. If you have a smartphone, the built in navigation is just as good, costs less, and updates for free.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Locobono posted:

If they're the same shape and size as MY2012 let me know ;)

Locobono posted:

Bluetooth to navigation on a smartphone features constantly-updated maps and traffic information, and if you have the headroom in your data plan, is cheaper too.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Google Maps is the proest navigation option.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ultimateforce posted:

I haven't used that yet (I hate hate hate the UI), :gay: Apple Maps seems to work pretty well in Florida, and behaves well (ducks the music in and out smoothly) in conjunction with SYNC-enabled Pandora.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

A.o.D. posted:

It's a bad value for the money you're spending on the feature. Navigation is nice, but not at the price point and upkeep costs dealerships will stick you for. If you have a smartphone, the built in navigation is just as good, costs less, and updates for free.

You've got good points, but the backup camera is a must-have. Got completely addicted to it. I've heard the new nav system has app-link, too.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

frozenphil posted:

I tend to see Mustangs lumped into the "lol Americrap" category a lot and it's just not true. Hydroplaning is just one of those things that you can't do much about, really. You can try to prevent it by driving for the conditions and you can try to correct it, but most of the time once you start you're pretty much along for the ride.

Snide pricks will be snide pricks. Hydroplaning with FWD, RWD, XWD, doesn't really matter. I did learn that it was possible to plane an '85 Olds G Body once. Once.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Locobono posted:

You've got good points, but the backup camera is a must-have. Got completely addicted to it. I've heard the new nav system has app-link, too.

I don't think the nav system is mandatory in order to have a backup camera. If you don't have nav, it'll display the image on your rearview mirror.

ultimateforce posted:

:respek:

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
I'm sorry but mounting some lovely phone holder in front of your radio will never be as nice as built in 8 inch nav screen. loving with a phone while you drive is the worst, especially when you're an android user and the mounts and hardware support are poo poo.

My galaxy nexus actually loses charge while plugged in and navigating.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

It's your money.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

A.o.D. posted:

It's your money.

Sorry that came out snobbier than I wanted it to. I think an android tablet, hotspotted to your phone and set in the dash would be the best nav/infotainment system ever. I really feel like a screen in the dash fancies up the ride.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Locobono posted:

Sorry that came out snobbier than I wanted it to. I think an android tablet, hotspotted to your phone and set in the dash would be the best nav/infotainment system ever. I really feel like a screen in the dash fancies up the ride.

How about 12 speakers in each door? That is pretty loving awesome too..

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Talk about my suspension choices you navigation scrubs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I thought you hated your Mustang and were going to sell it to some other schlub.

Sever, dude, don't pay money to change her.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action

Viggen posted:

How about 12 speakers in each door? That is pretty loving awesome too..

That's the opposite of fancy.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Locobono posted:

That's the opposite of fancy.

Just trying to pander to the right crowd, 's all.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

As an engineer, let me explain this phenomenon:

Everyone has core strengths and weaknesses. Some engineers strengths are working with their hands, doing complex applied math, and solving 3d puzzles (design). Other engineer's strengths are making effective powerpoint presentations, holding meetings, delegating tasks, setting timetables, and accounting for dollars and hours spent.

Guess which set of strengths is shared by their managers and bosses. Guess which set of strengths is given power in the workplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Giblet Plus! posted:

As an engineer, let me explain this phenomenon:

Everyone has core strengths and weaknesses. Some engineers strengths are working with their hands, doing complex applied math, and solving 3d puzzles (design). Other engineer's strengths are making effective powerpoint presentations, holding meetings, delegating tasks, setting timetables, and accounting for dollars and hours spent.

Guess which set of strengths is shared by their managers and bosses. Guess which set of strengths is given power in the workplace.

I understand this phenomenon and have dealt with it first hand. I'm not an engineer, but I am a technician of (if I may brag) some accomplishment. Sometimes I work on something that was built by a genius who understands that even the best made things break and understands what it takes to put things back in order.

Then there are those who seem to almost deliberately make poo poo impossible to work on.

edit: Let me be clear that I am not claiming to be a master automotive mechanic.