Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DamnGlitch posted:

Who came up with fisto; Who is the low life who removed the noise when fisto fists.

Is it a wet noise? I imagine it's a very wet noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's been a while since I played the release version but it was kind of like a reused noise like someone was grinding metal?

My brother told me the noise was missing and I told him he was probably bugged then i played and it was missing and I was sad.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

3Romeo posted:

New Vegas, at least for me, sits in a triumvirate with two other games (Deus Ex and Morrowind) that I come back to at least once every a year. It's the kind of game I get obsessed with each time I play and end up burnt out on after a month or two until the cycle resets itself.

I guess that sounds like kind of bland praise, but it's actually saying a lot. I don't mean to sound like some old turd who says they don't make games like they used to, because they still do, but most games these days are like movies: you'll watch them once, maybe twice, and put them in your collection where they'll gather dust. It's the really great ones that you go back to year after year. And while I think a lot of modern games deserve their success (FarCry 3, Dishonored, Skyrim) very few end up remembered. New Vegas is one that will be.

I think my cycle is >wanting to play NV>Intalling>Getting bored>Installing a assload of mods to the gane until it lurches like some hideous hambeast searching for it's electric wheelchair>get bored of the game altogether.

Oh well.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I think one of the biggest issues is that there's just so much to do just following the main quest lines (well, maybe the Legion is a little sparse) that you can pretty much max out your XP just by wandering from checkpoint to check point. On top of that, there's all kinds of other poo poo to do, but once I've reached max level I just kind of feel like it's time to go ahead and just finish the drat game already, which means there's still a bunch of quests I've never really done because I never seem to find the time to do them before maxing out my character (especially West and North Vegas). Then, if you add in any of the DLC, you can gain 5-10 levels easy just by playing through one of those to completion, and then you're STILL no closer to doing any of the tertiary quests that you always forget to do. I think the -10% XP portion of the Skilled perk should just be baked into your characters, or having all the expansions installed should cut your XP gain by half, because it feels like you max out way too fast now.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

You don't have to do all the missions? You can ignore some if you like, to better fit you character. If you are a weird OCD completionist just go and get a mod that slows leveling. Liiike jsawyer mod, or project nevada, or a number of other things I'm sure.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

homeless poster posted:

I think one of the biggest issues is that there's just so much to do just following the main quest lines (well, maybe the Legion is a little sparse) that you can pretty much max out your XP just by wandering from checkpoint to check point. On top of that, there's all kinds of other poo poo to do, but once I've reached max level I just kind of feel like it's time to go ahead and just finish the drat game already, which means there's still a bunch of quests I've never really done because I never seem to find the time to do them before maxing out my character (especially West and North Vegas). Then, if you add in any of the DLC, you can gain 5-10 levels easy just by playing through one of those to completion, and then you're STILL no closer to doing any of the tertiary quests that you always forget to do. I think the -10% XP portion of the Skilled perk should just be baked into your characters, or having all the expansions installed should cut your XP gain by half, because it feels like you max out way too fast now.

I realize this is the regular NV thread but: Install a plugin that slow XP gain and the problem is solved.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Or just replay the game with a new character. I've played trough New Vegas 3 times during the last 2 years and in every single one of my playtroughs I've discovered new things. Only once have I actually finished the main quest and I have never reached max level. Just drop the game and come back in a month or three with some mods and you'll be fine. :shobon:

EDIT: North Vegas is ridiculous. Only on my third playtrough with then over 100 hours on my belt did I even find out it existed.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 12, 2012

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'd say the amount of experience in the game is pretty close to the amount required to reach the level cap, which I'm grateful for because my interest just drains when I stop getting experience. I got frustrated when I hit level 20 in Fallout 3 because I hadn't even touched huge chunks of the.map yet and there was so much more to explore, but I just couldn't be bothered and went straight for the endgame.

In New Vegas I took the Skilled perk and went into the DLCs at about level 30, by which time I'd done almost everything in the main game, North Vegas, Westside, The Thorn,the whole shebang. The DLCs all gave me about 5 levels each and I hit level 50 as soon as I exited the last one, satisfied and ready to take on the finale. I think even without Skilled there's not much more than 35 levels' worth in the main game, excluding combat encounters.

That reminds me, I know you guys hate how the game gets too easy and characters too homogeneous as you approach level 50, but I loved that after 80 hours of wrecking poo poo with Melee/Unarmed I could pump points into another skill for a few levels and become an energy weapons expert. The Holorifle is an absolutely gorgeous gun and all through Lonesome Road and the final main quest I just kept going into VATS so I could watch myself firing the gorgeous gun.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

2house2fly posted:

I'd say the amount of experience in the game is pretty close to the amount required to reach the level cap, which I'm grateful for because my interest just drains when I stop getting experience. I got frustrated when I hit level 20 in Fallout 3 because I hadn't even touched huge chunks of the.map yet and there was so much more to explore, but I just couldn't be bothered and went straight for the endgame.

In New Vegas I took the Skilled perk and went into the DLCs at about level 30, by which time I'd done almost everything in the main game, North Vegas, Westside, The Thorn,the whole shebang. The DLCs all gave me about 5 levels each and I hit level 50 as soon as I exited the last one, satisfied and ready to take on the finale. I think even without Skilled there's not much more than 35 levels' worth in the main game, excluding combat encounters.

That reminds me, I know you guys hate how the game gets too easy and characters too homogeneous as you approach level 50, but I loved that after 80 hours of wrecking poo poo with Melee/Unarmed I could pump points into another skill for a few levels and become an energy weapons expert. The Holorifle is an absolutely gorgeous gun and all through Lonesome Road and the final main quest I just kept going into VATS so I could watch myself firing the gorgeous gun.

I wish there was a way that there could be more content that was exclusive to a particular skill set or faction so that multiple playthroughs wouldn't end up being pretty samey (shy of user imposed challenges). I know there's the faction hideouts and a few specific things like Unarmed techniques that are supposed to be faction specific, but it always felt like there was more that they could have done to differentiate a Legion courier from an NCR courier from etc. I am aware that devs now-a-days don't like designing content that only X% of the players will ever see, but even small stuff like making guns/energy weapons or melee/unarmed actually play differently would be cool, and they might have been able to make your faction alliance play into that. That, or I would like to see them combine energy weapons/guns and melee/unarmed into single skills since they're only arbitrarily different at this point; most of the good melee and unarmed perks require some investment in both skills even if you only intend on using one style.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xoidanor posted:

Or just replay the game with a new character. I've played trough New Vegas 3 times during the last 2 years and in every single one of my playtroughs I've discovered new things. Only once have I actually finished the main quest and I have never reached max level. Just drop the game and come back in a month or three with some mods and you'll be fine. :shobon:

EDIT: North Vegas is ridiculous. Only on my third playtrough with then over 100 hours on my belt did I even find out it existed.

It's good to know I'm not the only person who does this, though I never tend to finish the game. Shame thing with Skyrim...except now I'm stuck battling some witch who I can't beat. I've always been shocked I beat Fallout 3, it's the only Bethesda game I've beaten, yet I never feel like I pissed money away.

I really want to get back into playing FNV, but having a young daughter and a long commute cut into it. I really love he insanely detailed it is at times. I mean the game has a reloading system and actually requires primers and not just gun powder and random junk item 4.

Does anyone know who designed or came up with the reloading system/idea for FNV? I have to imagine the person was a pretty big gun who reloads since I've never seen anything in a game like it before or after (besides general concepts like Resident Evil grenade making).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Old Fallout talked about where people got weapons; old supply caches and armories, the vaults themselves (some more militarized than others), a few folks who actually refilled old brass, and even some upstart gunsmiths who managed to get ahold of some precision milling equipment and had schematics.

New Vegas is just the sequel to those games, and you get the option of learning the valuable survival skill of taking care of modern weapons :) Much like the Joshua and tribals in Honest Hearts put an importance on maintaining old firearms, which is itself a contrast to the pacifist FO2 tribals although you have the option of guiding the Hearts tribals down a similar path.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chronojam posted:

Old Fallout talked about where people got weapons; old supply caches and armories, the vaults themselves (some more militarized than others), a few folks who actually refilled old brass, and even some upstart gunsmiths who managed to get ahold of some precision milling equipment and had schematics.

New Vegas is just the sequel to those games, and you get the option of learning the valuable survival skill of taking care of modern weapons :) Much like the Joshua and tribals in Honest Hearts put an importance on maintaining old firearms, which is itself a contrast to the pacifist FO2 tribals although you have the option of guiding the Hearts tribals down a similar path.

Oh I understand that. I just meant who was the factor in making it a gameplay mechanic and so detailed of one. I mean at its heart its just crafting with a X. It's just X is rather detailed and realistic even.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

gfanikf posted:

Oh I understand that. I just meant who was the factor in making it a gameplay mechanic and so detailed of one. I mean at its heart its just crafting with a X. It's just X is rather detailed and realistic even.

I think Ropekid knows a fair bit about guns.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dan Didio posted:

Cool, I never knew that.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Dan Didio posted:

I seem to recall that he actually learned most of what he know about guns from doing research over the course of New Vegas's development, though whether that quote is from this (or the previous) thread, his formspring, or some mad fever dream, I cannot say.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I seem to recall that he actually learned most of what he know about guns from doing research over the course of New Vegas's development, though whether that quote is from this (or the previous) thread, his formspring, or some mad fever dream, I cannot say.

Well if he did, than he did a hell of a good job with a crash course on reloading.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

He wrote an article on his formspring talking abour gun control and he toucheson his brief foray into gun ownership.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc If U Buck posted:

He wrote an article on his formspring talking abour gun control and he toucheson his brief foray into gun ownership.

What was the gist of what he wrote?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

gfanikf posted:

I think he was talking how is role as a former gun owner gave him a better perspective on gun laws than most people. I'm not American so I didn;t really pay attention to the details.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I think he was talking how is role as a former gun owner gave him a better perspective on gun laws than most people. I'm not American so I didn;t really pay attention to the details.

Hmm if he was writing as a "former" gun owner I doubt I'd be very interested, but still I appreciate the effort he put into making the reloading system authentic in FNV.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

gfanikf posted:

Hmm if he was writing as a "former" gun owner I doubt I'd be very interested, but still I appreciate the effort he put into making the reloading system authentic in FNV.

Yeah he didn't really talk about the mechanics of guns or anything, I was just pointing out evidence of his enthusiasm.

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.

gfanikf posted:

http://twofoldsilence.diogenes-lamp.info/2012/07/firearm-legislation-why-we-have-so-much.html is the article in question. I thought it was a very rational and well-written article on the subject.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoktorVerderben posted:

http://twofoldsilence.diogenes-lamp.info/2012/07/firearm-legislation-why-we-have-so-much.html is the article in question. I thought it was a very rational and well-written article on the subject.

Yeah not bad at all.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So I was just checking out the steam hubs function when I found this gem in the new vegas section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg11UkthFHA

I bashed his brain in with a golf club during my last playtrough. :(

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Before working on F:NV, I only had "normal" video game player-level knowledge of firearms and had practically no hands-on experience with anything more powerful than a common air rifle. During F:NV's development, I studied firearms a lot, took a handgun safety course, bought a handgun and several rifles, and spent a lot of time at firing ranges. I also learned how to field strip and clean my firearms, though I never did a full detail strip.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Xoidanor posted:

So I was just checking out the steam hubs function when I found this gem in the new vegas section.

Every speech option to deal with the chef is fantastic in that quest, I like telling him theres a radroach in the pantry and locking it.

That whole quest in general is just amazing, that quest has like 4 totally different endings and a million ways to get there.

Shreks hot knob
Sep 4, 2007
We swearsss it!
Is any of the DLC supposed to be played in a certain order? I'm almost ready to get into that part of the game but I only have Honest Hearts and Dead Money.
If it makes a difference though I'll hold out another few days for the Christmas sale when I will be getting the rest.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The Precious posted:

Is any of the DLC supposed to be played in a certain order? I'm almost ready to get into that part of the game but I only have Honest Hearts and Dead Money.
If it makes a difference though I'll hold out another few days for the Christmas sale when I will be getting the rest.

Dead Money, Old World Blues, and Lonesome Road are best played in that order, and Honest Hearts can go anywhere (but it's best played before Lonesome Road), so you won't be missing out on anything by playing those two now.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

The Precious posted:

The only real hard and fast rule is that Lonesome Road should be played last. The rest are ultimately debatable on which order you should play them, though I like to do HH>OWB>DM>LR

Shreks hot knob
Sep 4, 2007
We swearsss it!
Thanks, I guess I'll try HH first then since I played about 15 minutes of DM and hated the whole premise behind it. Hopefully I warm up to it after a few more levels.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

The Precious posted:

Thanks, I guess I'll try HH first then since I played about 15 minutes of DM and hated the whole premise behind it. Hopefully I warm up to it after a few more levels.

Dead Money probably is the worst one out of the four, gameplay wise. I just love everything else about it though, like the setting and plot. :shobon:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If Dead Money is pissing you off take the perks Fortune Finder and Them's Good Eatin' and also the perk that's like Fortune Finder but for ammo if you really don't want to use melee weapons. The Sierra Madre chips which the vending machines use for crafting are affected by Fortune Finder so you'll be swimming in them after a few minutes, and Them's Good Eatin' pretty much guarantees you a load of free food items. I think that only comes with Old World Blues, so be sure to download and install Old World Blues. Anyway, those perks make the whole thing much easier and defeat the point of the expansion as much as exploiting the engine to steal all the loot at the end.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

The Precious posted:

Having just done Old World Blues again on a new character, I think it really works well if you run that first. Just be sure to bring a ton of ammo if your main weapon skill is Guns because there's gently caress-all ammo aside from .357 and .44 (some .308 and 9mm but not a ton). Everything that happens in DM and LR is heavily foreshadowed in OWB, and to me it makes the most sense to start at the beginning. Honest Hearts could really be done at any point in the game because the events are pretty self contained and it has the least to do with the other three DLC.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I played through DM recently and it was a load of fun, gently caress the haters. By the end I was exploding heads and taking names.

Personally I think you could play HH first, then do DM, OWB, and LR.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 17, 2012

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I think DM is one of those things that's fun if you know what to expect. it was not fun when i went in and did not know waht to expect.

As has been repeated though the writing is really top notch.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Replaying HH now, been awhile, but I really dislike how your whole caravan dies and you survive; wish you could bring the chick from New Reno and Jed to the camp and maybe do a quest for them. Though I think iirc HH didn't have a lot of time to be made right? And oh god I hope my level is low enough that I don't have to see a Giant Cazador :gonk: Also I wish Animal Friend would work on Yao Gaui like in FO3.
E:

Xoidanor posted:

Love how just remembers what his sisters did to him.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I imagine forcing your caravan to die has to do thematically with aligning your with joshua. I sure as poo poo hated the whitelegs after that opening.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

DamnGlitch posted:

I imagine forcing your caravan to die has to do thematically with aligning your with joshua. I sure as poo poo hated the whitelegs after that opening.

I felt like it was kind of cheap because you met those characters 15 seconds ago and then whoops now they're dead who gives a gently caress. I would have been fine if they just sent your character in solo because you're "the courier who survived a cap in the dome if anyone can get this message through it's you". On the other hand, if they were set on having the NPCs be ambushed, I do wish they would have set it up so you could potentially kill the attackers first and then maybe each surviving NPC has a mini-quest or whatever.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Man, I don't know about you, but I really wanted to go adventuring with Stella :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

rope kid posted:

Before working on F:NV, I only had "normal" video game player-level knowledge of firearms and had practically no hands-on experience with anything more powerful than a common air rifle. During F:NV's development, I studied firearms a lot, took a handgun safety course, bought a handgun and several rifles, and spent a lot of time at firing ranges. I also learned how to field strip and clean my firearms, though I never did a full detail strip.

You are an honest-to-goodness gosh-darn scholar.