Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Boris did Flood 3 and 4 as their last two songs :stare:

It went on for about half an hour and I stood there with my jaw open for easily more than five minutes straight, I think I forgot to breathe.

They also opened with 8 minutes of pure doom :woop:

Great gig, so happy they just played such a variety.

That's pretty slick. I really want to see Boris play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Loaf32 posted:

That's pretty slick. I really want to see Boris play.

Boris was outstanding when I saw them a couple years ago. Their set sounds similar to what Quantum saw - opening and closing with just straight doom drone, but they also played some cuts from Pink (which I love), and they played for close to two hours I think.

I was a little surprised that they weren't as crushingly loud as I expected, and Wata is waaaay shorter than I realized.

Great shou though, for sure.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm just catching on to Dragged Into Sunlight. They are worth checking out if you want some doomy sludgey deathmetally dark oppressiveness.

This is from their second album "Widow Maker": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc-PZW-xtgk
That album has three parts. The first is a lengthy clean guitar atmospheric instrumental, the second is what is linked above and the third is more like the 2nd except toned down a bit.

Their first album "Hatred for Mankind" is a bit more death metal.

Pretty cool stuff

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
How I got into doom metal? Well, let's see... :corsair:

Started out by becoming a metalhead in the first place in 1988; for the first few years it was mostly thrash and "plain" metal (i.e. Iron Maiden and such), then death and a little early black metal; my gateway into the doom subgenre was via the early-90s death-doom style as it developed (My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, etc). Later in the 1990s and more so after 2000 I gradually became more fond of doom metal as such (for instance, I'd heard and liked Candlemass many years previously but it was only around the time of the 2005 "reunion" that I went into full-obsessive mode wrt their old albums).

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'm just catching on to Dragged Into Sunlight. They are worth checking out if you want some doomy sludgey deathmetally dark oppressiveness.

This is from their second album "Widow Maker": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc-PZW-xtgk
That album has three parts. The first is a lengthy clean guitar atmospheric instrumental, the second is what is linked above and the third is more like the 2nd except toned down a bit.

Their first album "Hatred for Mankind" is a bit more death metal.

Pretty cool stuff

I thought the newer album was a bit of a letdown, but mostly because the production on the first was so filthy and fit the style so well.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Just got my Sunn 0))) tickets for Sunday and plenty of earplugs. Ready to rock and drone.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
High on Fire for 16 bucks on saturday? Hmm.

That's 16 more dollars than the last time I saw them! :crossarms:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's only like €12. If I could see HoF for €12 you bet I would.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'd probably pay $17 to see that band.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

DEAR RICHARD posted:

High on Fire for 16 bucks on saturday? Hmm.

That's 16 more dollars than the last time I saw them! :crossarms:

You must be down in Oregon. I'm planning on seeing them tomorrow. Love me some HoF.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I'm seeing them on Sunday. It was 25 bucks or so. All 4 bands on the bill kick rear end though so I don't mind.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I saw HoF in Chicago and the show was pretty boring. :(

Goatwhore slayed, though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Minto Took posted:

I saw High On Fire at the Wicker Park Street Fest like 6 or 7 years ago and it was loving AMAZING. Nothing like seeing a nice and heavy band playing out in the middle of a crowded city street with the El Train showering sparks every now and again from up above.

e: Saw The Sword last night at El Rey in Los Angeles. What a fun show, I even liked the opening bands. American Sharks from Texas were pretty good, and the 2nd opener, Gypsyhawk, had a song about Robert Baretheon that they played which was pretty hilarious. Also, when they introduced their drummer, they followed it with "FIrst of his name." haha.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 14, 2012

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Minto Took posted:

He sobered up IIRC, so getting back on the wagon might make the performances vary. I dunno. Either way, I'm sure it'll be worthwhile.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bongripper just released their Live at Roadburn album

It's Bongripper.
It's SWD live.

I don't need to tell you to get this.

Hate Ashbury live sounds great.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 14, 2012

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Bongripper just released their Live at Roadburn album

It's Bongripper.
It's SWD live.

I don't need to tell you to get this.

Hate Ashbury live sounds great.

Thanks for this.

Check out this band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvhfQ-hnArU
Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine
I only recently got into this scene about 3 months ago so I don't have much to compare this to, but maybe a darker bongripper?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you like Teeth of Lines, check out Khanate and Sunn O)))!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

watt par posted:

I thought the newer album was a bit of a letdown, but mostly because the production on the first was so filthy and fit the style so well.

I have just been introduced to both records so my perspective is kind of screwed but I prefer Windowmaker to Hatred for Mankind. I really like the more drawn out approach they seem to be going for there. I wish the album was longer. This riff they use starting at 2:46 rules so very very much. (linked in time right before that part): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc-PZW-xtgk&t=144s

also:Let's watch a 12 year old review Dragged into Sunlight's 'Widowmaker'

unrelated: Pete Stahl from Goatsnake sometimes sounds like Ian Astbury from The Cult and I like it.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Played tonight, and it was incredible. Maximum volume yields maximum results.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

If you like Teeth of Lines, check out Khanate and Sunn O)))!

Heard of Sunn but never the other, thanks!

Can anyone recommend a good starting album for Boris and The Melvins??

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Boris has tons of stuff so it might change depending on what you like, but I don't think you can go wrong with Pink or Heavy Rocks (the first one).

Melvins gots tons too, but I started with Gluey Porch Treatments and don't regret it at all

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
They both have loads of stuff and neither keeps to one style. I think Akuma no Uta is a good starting place for Boris, it has some drone stuff and shows their more rock side too. For more heavy stuff and drone, there's Flood, Amplifier Worship, Absolutego, Feedbacker, the Thing Which Solomon Overlooked and others. I'm not so familiar with their rock/punk albums, but definitely Pink and Smile. Their collaboration with Merzbow, Rock Dreams, is also decent - mostly rehashes of other songs they've done but louder. I also liked the album they did with Sunn O))), Altar. It doesn't sound much like either band but it is really good.

I think Stoner Witch and Houdini are as good starting places as any for Melvins. Try this thread too, I think they've been brought up a couple of times: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2761269

e: If you like ToLRTD you might give Thrones a look too. Joe Preston has collaborated/played with with Sunn O))), Melvins and Earth as well.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 17, 2012

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

casual poster posted:

Heard of Sunn but never the other, thanks!

No problem :)

For Boris, Feedbacker, Akuma no Uta...actually I'm just looking at big scary monster's post and he's dead on with the Boris recommendations.

As for Melvins, Bullhead, Ozma, Houdini, Stoner Witch are all cool. Some of their new stuff is great too but I've only heard it live and I'm not really sure what albums they're from.

Loaf32 posted:

Played tonight, and it was incredible. Maximum volume yields maximum results.

So jealous. Sunn played once in Ireland like...8 years ago I think? and haven't been back since, I wasn't into them back then but I'd pay good money to see them now.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I know that this thread has been recommending Ahab for ages, just got round to listening to The Giant. Wow, this is great. Somehow reminds me of Pantheist - I think it's the vocal style - but the riffs are so much better.

Also been listening to Acid Mothers Temple - Univers Zen Ou de Zero а Zero :stare:. Some good stuff, but it's also weird as hell in places. What is it with Japanese bands?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Loaf32 posted:

He sobered up IIRC, so getting back on the wagon might make the performances vary. I dunno. Either way, I'm sure it'll be worthwhile.

The Vancouver show would have been excellent if only Matt's guitar had been louder. Venue's sound system seems to be designed with club music in mind, since the bass and kick drum were the loudest parts of the mix. On the plus side, the whole band played very well, and the setlist ruled. 10,000 Years, Last, Speedwolf and Rumors of War/DII were all included, along with the newer material. It was great fun, but I kept flashing back to the Richard's on Richards show in 2007 where Pike's guitar was almost painfully loud, and he was so into it that he almost kicked me in the head.

I don't personally care for Goatwhore's music, but they are definitely a well-polished band, and I thought Lo Pan were good but pretty repetitive. I have to give a shout out to my brothers in ANCIIENTS who opened the show, and who will be putting out their full length on Season of Mist in the new year.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Also shout out to Translink for making me miss the last half of High On Fire's set! I had the same qualms with the sound so I didn't mind having to leave. Ancients definitely deserve more love, glad to see them on the up.

The Richard's show was awesome, my favourite was the Red Room show on the Blessed Black Wings tour, that was amazing.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Can anyone point me in the direction of bands that have a dirty, low-fi, "sludgy doom to raging grindcore and back in a single track" sound like Eyehategod? I've been listening to Dopesick way too much recently and I need more music like it. Lair of the Minotaur is close to what I'm looking for, but they're too thrashy.

rxcowboy posted:

I think we should all share our stories of when we first heard and got into this type of music.

I was born and raised on Black Sabbath, but when I became a teenager and got into music I was more interested in thrash metal so I never bothered to explore the slower side of things more (I bought a copy of Kyuss' Blues for the Red Sun, but it just gathered dust for a couple years). Then one day, I was at a family party. One of my aunts comes up to me and says "have you ever met your mom's cousin Armando? He has long hair just like yours, and he's always wearing black clothes and a leather jacket. He's a drummer in a band, they're named after a saint... Saint Vitus, I think." So I go home and look them up online, thinking I'm going to find maybe one mention of a crappy garage band or something. And that's how I discovered Born Too Late. I've been hooked ever since.

I never did get to meet Armando, unfortunately...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46aqrQXSZdA&feature=player_embedded]Baroness first performance-thingy]/url] since the bus crash. It's a cool acoustic version of Strechmarker.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I know nothing about these guys except for three things. They're irish, they pull off a good retro doom sound, and I like them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDjp0G7oa2A

TRAMAMPOLINE
Dec 15, 2012

casual poster posted:

what quantum of phallus said, plus Hostile Ambient Takeover. regarding newer releases with the 4-piece line-up, they're all good, but my favorite is Nude With Boots. NWB has kind of a classic rock feel for some songs, A Senile Animal just has alot of great rock songs, 7 or 8 in a row actually, The Bride Screamed Murder is more great rock with kind of a weird bent, and The Bulls & The Bees, the free 5-song EP, has a killer epic rock song, a killer stoner rock song, then a couple other good rockers and an ambient one made with an iphone.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Can anyone point me in the direction of bands that have a dirty, low-fi, "sludgy doom to raging grindcore and back in a single track" sound like Eyehategod? I've been listening to Dopesick way too much recently and I need more music like it. Lair of the Minotaur is close to what I'm looking for, but they're too thrashy.

The Today Is The Day albums Temple of the Morning Star, In The Eyes of God (Brann Dailor and Bill Kelliher were on this one and early Mastodon is basically a TITD cover band), and Kiss The Pig are all along those lines. The rest of their albums are really good too. If you're cool with really lo-fi a bunch of powerviolence bands like Crossed Out, Infest, Apartment 213, Despise You, etc. do the blastbeat to sludge breakdown thing as well. Also Crom. Can't say enough good things about Crom. The last Xibalba album is heavier than poo poo too.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 18, 2012

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

So jealous. Sunn played once in Ireland like...8 years ago I think? and haven't been back since, I wasn't into them back then but I'd pay good money to see them now.

That's lame. I think they're supposed to be starting a Euro tour shortly, but may be misremembering. It's really worth seeing, if for no other reason than you get to feel sound like no other way. As an unexpected bonus, Earth played before Sunn O))). I already got to see them a couple weeks ago, but I'll be damned if it wasn't a welcome surprise.

Juaguocio posted:

but I kept flashing back to the Richard's on Richards show in 2007 where Pike's guitar was almost painfully loud, and he was so into it that he almost kicked me in the head.
It was a decent show here in Seattle, but it was really lacking in the enthusiasm. I think it was made more pronounced by how into their performance Goatwhore was. They're not really my thing either, but I'll be damned if they weren't fun to watch.

Juaguocio posted:

I thought Lo Pan were good but pretty repetitive.

I really liked Lo Pan. I was going to skip seeing them, but changed my mind last minute. I'm pretty glad I did.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

casual poster posted:

starting album The Melvins??

The Melvins have never released a bad studio album IMO, but all of their stuff is kinda challenging and hard to get into in its own way. Houdini is their most famous album, the first of three major label releases ever in the band's history and it sort of hits all the Melvins high notes (fast 1-2 minute-long hardcore-metal songs, 6-minute+ slow burners, weird noisy stuff and experimentation) along with containing a lot of their most famous songs and live standards. The first five tracks on Houdini will teach you a lot of what you need to know about the band's sound.

After Houdini I recommend the rest of the Atlantic trilogy (Stoner Witch and Stag, the former is jam-packed full of really heavy rockin' stuff, the latter's a little more proggy and experimental), then the old stuff, then the Big Business-era stuff and Freak Puke, then the stuff released in the interim period between Stag and A Senile Animal.

Really though, if you're at a loss then just pick something. It's all varying degrees of weird as well as varying degrees of good, and there is a lot of material to get through.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Checking out Houdini right now, I was very surprised when I saw it was made in 1993, these guys were very before their time. I'm happy to be able to look forward to their plenty of other albums. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Since we don't have a "NWOBHM Revival" thread, and since these guys are spiritual cousins to Graveyard anyway -- I just discovered Horisont:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fELhPgQgDVY

and it's a thing of beauty.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
They're definitely UFO fans.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Lord Mantis?

I guess this is more black metal than grindcore, though.

EDIT: Also, Indian.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Whatever they are, Lord Mantis are loving awesome. That album is just so....dirty and hateful sounding.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

watt par posted:

They're definitely UFO fans.

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

Yes, that song has "Doctor Doctor" all over it. The rest of their catalog is more original, if persistent in the sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Friends Are Evil posted:

Lord Mantis?

I guess this is more black metal than grindcore, though.

That was amazing.