Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just finished all of story mode...that wasn't nearly as hard as I expected.

So...is that it? Is there more to find in the story? I still have lots of questions and I'm still wondering who the bad guy really is, what Elizabeth is trying to fight, and stuff like that. Or is that stuff supposed to happen in like, Persona 5 or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Yeah, that's it. Great prelude to P5 or another Persona spin-off, but a bit unfulfilling for a stand-alone game. Though I can answer your questions.

The bad guy is currently unknown, but it's currently speculated that it's Nyarlathotep, the villain from P1 and P2. He fits the bill too, since he can manipulate people and would know much about the Persona-users and Shadows.

Elizabeth is trying to fight Erebus, the final boss of The Answer and the monster you see her fight at the beginning of her story. It is the manifestation of human grief that comes back every once in a while to destroy the Great Seal in order to free Nyx.

Snix fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 14, 2012

Undersea Magic
Dec 16, 2006

Batigh posted:

Got a guy named CaButler frothing mad on XBL tonight, saying I could only win with turbo and macros...? He never explained what he meant. You'd think a rank A Chie player would have a better understanding of game mechanics. Not like I hit him with a single AoA, either.

Yeah, that guy is something. He's been sending ragemail to people since Blazblue CS2 and disconnects from matches when he's losing; just don't play him.

You, me(UnderseaMagic), and like the 2 other east coast Slabrys players need to get together soon and make a Slab lobby. All Slab mirrors all the time.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Just finished all of story mode...that wasn't nearly as hard as I expected.

So...is that it? Is there more to find in the story? I still have lots of questions and I'm still wondering who the bad guy really is, what Elizabeth is trying to fight, and stuff like that. Or is that stuff supposed to happen in like, Persona 5 or something?

Elizabeth gets the wild card at the end of her story so you'd assume that she'll have a prominent part in the next story. Probably in an expansion for arena, I doubt you can fit her as a protagonist in P5 unless they ditch the silent protagonist thing.

It would be amusing though. Having social links with the rest of her family would be hilarious.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Having Nyarlathotep be the villain for all this makes me sad that I can't fuse Cthulhu or something.

Wait, isn't Nyarlathotep a possible fusion in Devil Survivor?

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Penlen posted:

Yeah, that guy is something. He's been sending ragemail to people since Blazblue CS2 and disconnects from matches when he's losing; just don't play him.

You, me(UnderseaMagic), and like the 2 other east coast Slabrys players need to get together soon and make a Slab lobby. All Slab mirrors all the time.

I am totally down. Slab mirrors are the best thing about this game, so much chaos.

Think I forgot to tell you I got a new XBL account when we played last, I'm GrimBattler now. Old account died.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Having Nyarlathotep be the villain for all this makes me sad that I can't fuse Cthulhu or something.

You can fuse Cthulhu in Shin Megami Tensei II! And he's a boss in Persona 2.

Undersea Magic
Dec 16, 2006

Batigh posted:

I am totally down. Slab mirrors are the best thing about this game, so much chaos.

Think I forgot to tell you I got a new XBL account when we played last, I'm GrimBattler now. Old account died.

Cool, had no idea that was you! Good games and all that stuff, let's run some sets soon.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

Pollyanna posted:

Narly's a reoccurring demon in the series, actually.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
DID SOMEONE MENTION SHADOW LABRYS

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
edit: wrong thread, thought this was the p4g thread :(

uh, question: I have persona 4 arena, have not finished persona 4 yet, and decided to finish p4 first. Should I? or should I just play the arena game anyway?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Well, it's not like the series is new to using old party demons as villains, Nyx was the final boss in P3 but is a regular rear end demon in SMT 3

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

redreader posted:

uh, question: I have persona 4 arena, have not finished persona 4 yet, and decided to finish p4 first. Should I? or should I just play the arena game anyway?

If you wanna avoid any possible spoilers, just dont play Story Mode. All the characters are unlocked from the start, so it isnt like you HAVE to play it.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

redreader posted:

If you care a lot about the story but still want to play fightan gaems with your persona people, you could always play Arena and just stay away from the story mode. I don't believe there's much, if anything, in the story mode that will spoil the events of P4, unless the list of playable characters having personas counts.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Parts of the P4A story mode directly spoil P4 and P3.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
P4A does spoil parts of P4; the two spoilers that come "latest" in the P4 storyline revolve around the November dungeon and a bit of anticlimax that occurs about 12/5. It does not spoil the identity of the culprit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, as I recall, it goes out of its way to avoid what I'd consider the two "major" reveals of P4.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Snix posted:

The bad guy is currently unknown, but it's currently speculated that it's Nyarlathotep, the villain from P1 and P2. He fits the bill too, since he can manipulate people and would know much about the Persona-users and Shadows.

I was under the impression that it's two guys though. One is the guy who most of the P4 cast encounters when Labrys gets hacked and has the robot voice, the other is what I think is Nyarlathotep with the fake shadow versions of Naoto and the P3 Cast and sending Labrys to attack them.

I mean, it's quite possible it's just Nyarlathotep, but someone had to put together the hijacking at the start and I believe that Nyarls wouldn't have had the robot voice had he possessed Labrys directly, so there's obviously another dude working with him that's human.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I was under the impression that it's two guys though. One is the guy who most of the P4 cast encounters when Labrys gets hacked and has the robot voice, the other is what I think is Nyarlathotep with the fake shadow versions of Naoto and the P3 Cast and sending Labrys to attack them.

I mean, it's quite possible it's just Nyarlathotep, but someone had to put together the hijacking at the start and I believe that Nyarls wouldn't have had the robot voice had he possessed Labrys directly, so there's obviously another dude working with him that's human.

Yeah, this is right. I also vaguely remember Unknown Entity/Nyarlathotep even mentioning in some of the story modes how annoying it is that he's currently forced to work with the person/people? who hacked Labrys at the end of the Investigation Team's story modes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There's definitely at least two people. One hacked Labrys and needed her help in order to stick her in the TV, since they cannot use Personas or enter the TV in any manner. This makes it unlikely that they're Nyarlathotep. The other one can appear as anyone's shadow, and disappear on command and poo poo. They certainly aren't bound by a lack of a Persona to go into TVs.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah, as I recall, it goes out of its way to avoid what I'd consider the two "major" reveals of P4.

It does spoil Teddy growing a body inside of his suit, which was the most mindblowing scene in the game for me. however.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

There are two people, but wasn't the one in direct control of Labrys under the control of the Malevolent Entity? I also assumed that the robotic voice was there in order to better protect the guy controlling Labrys' identity. Fun fact about that voice: the voice actor for it is the same voice actor who voiced Nyarlathotep in the PSP port of Innocent Sin, if I'm not mistaken.

Snix fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 15, 2012

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

I just purchased a Vita. Having only played the original editions of Persona 3 and 4, is it worth my time to play 1 and 2 before playing the P3: Portable and Persona 4: Golden? I'm wholly unfamiliar with the first two games in the series, but if they're good, gently caress it - I'll do a whole series run.

e: V whoops! got my persona threads crossed.

Throne of Bhalz fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 15, 2012

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I just purchased a Vita. Having only played the original editions of Persona 3 and 4, is it worth my time to play 1 and 2 before playing the P3: Portable and Persona 4: Golden? I'm wholly unfamiliar with the first two games in the series, but if they're good, gently caress it - I'll do a whole series run.

It's really up to you. There's no real compelling reason to go back and do 1 and 2 unless you really want to that badly. And once you play P3P and P4G you probably won't want to go back anyway.

Also this may belong in the P4G thread here.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Pollyanna posted:

There's definitely at least two people. One hacked Labrys and needed her help in order to stick her in the TV, since they cannot use Personas or enter the TV in any manner. This makes it unlikely that they're Nyarlathotep. The other one can appear as anyone's shadow, and disappear on command and poo poo. They certainly aren't bound by a lack of a Persona to go into TVs.

I thought the other people's shadows were just a result of Labrys' sense loving up powers or whatever the heck.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Mr. Fun posted:

I thought the other people's shadows were just a result of Labrys' sense loving up powers or whatever the heck.

My understand is that it was Shadow Labrys being controlled by the Malevolent Entity in the case of the P4 cast, and ME himself in the P3 cast/Naoto's stories. If ME is Nyarl, that would explain one of the plot holes of the game; the illusions which people hear are a little too carefully tailored to the individual and show a little too much insight to be the work of a mere Shadow. Most Shadows are pretty self-absorbed and definitely wouldn't be able to needle the psychological weak points of anyone but their original. But if SLabrys is being guided by Nyarl, who by admission is humanity's Shadow, then of course he'd know those sorts of things.

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

Do you know the Wu-Tang secret of mopping?

Doyagao posted:

Beginner stuff from a few pages ago.

I picked up this game like a week ago and I've been playing with a small group of guys from #vita, but I'm at like 0 and 8 despite spending a lot of time (admittedly) in challenge mode. I've tried out just about every character and while Kanji is a lot of fun to play as, I still can't get my poo poo together enough to win a match. I've taken a few rounds but well uh...

Any chance I could get a beginner's course ala Yosuke from a few pages ago?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I got this game + the wwe stick as kind of a self-Christmas present, and Jesus Christ this is like nothing I've ever played before. I did a few rounds of Yu and then switched over to Shadow Labrys because hell yeah minotaurs, but 21 matches and 4 wins later I think I'm gonna change to someone a bit faster because trying to coordinate my slow rear end bull with my slow rear end girl to make a half-way efficient team is Really Hard!

I went on a 5 game losing streak against a F-ranked Naoto, eventually he started ducking from games with me :( How good is Shad Lab considered? I would like to go back to her when I can do things like, combos.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Maid posted:

I picked up this game like a week ago and I've been playing with a small group of guys from #vita, but I'm at like 0 and 8 despite spending a lot of time (admittedly) in challenge mode. I've tried out just about every character and while Kanji is a lot of fun to play as, I still can't get my poo poo together enough to win a match. I've taken a few rounds but well uh...

Just as a heads up, 0:8 is a pretty small sample. I have something close to 400 games under my belt online and probably 150-200 in person, and am still completely awful (though I also have zero fighting game experience outside of half a year of melty blood). This isn't to discourage you, quite the opposite; Losing your first 8 games is basically nothing to be ashamed of at all. Unfortunately I don't have nearly as much useful information as the dude who posted that amazing Yosuke post, but the Kanji page on the Dustloop wiki might be a good place to start!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Scrree posted:

I got this game + the wwe stick as kind of a self-Christmas present, and Jesus Christ this is like nothing I've ever played before. I did a few rounds of Yu and then switched over to Shadow Labrys because hell yeah minotaurs, but 21 matches and 4 wins later I think I'm gonna change to someone a bit faster because trying to coordinate my slow rear end bull with my slow rear end girl to make a half-way efficient team is Really Hard!

I went on a 5 game losing streak against a F-ranked Naoto, eventually he started ducking from games with me :( How good is Shad Lab considered? I would like to go back to her when I can do things like, combos.

Shadow lab is good, probably in the top half of the cast. She's one of if not the hardest characters to learn to play though. Yu, Chie, and Teddie are my recommendations for 3 really easy characters with no major weaknesses.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!
I've been playing off and on since this game came out. I am absolutely terrible at it but I love it anyway. I added a few of you guys on PSN but feel free to add me if you want some scrub matches or practice. PSN: SirSpergsalot

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
Between my current account and my old one I bet I've played over a thousand sets, but I still forget that Dead Angles are things that exist for 99% of them :negative:

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Just as a heads up, 0:8 is a pretty small sample. I have something close to 400 games under my belt online and probably 150-200 in person, and am still completely awful (though I also have zero fighting game experience outside of half a year of melty blood). This isn't to discourage you, quite the opposite; Losing your first 8 games is basically nothing to be ashamed of at all. Unfortunately I don't have nearly as much useful information as the dude who posted that amazing Yosuke post, but the Kanji page on the Dustloop wiki might be a good place to start!

Yeah, I've just been completely shut out on arcsys games when it comes to online play. I gave up on Blazblue after losing like 10 matches online but I'm trying to stick to this one more. The wiki is great, but I really need to find basic things to cram into muscle memory before I get to application stuff like zoning and oki. Thanks for the advice, it's been a real struggle to stay positive about getting my rear end handed to me over and over.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Jmcrofts posted:

Shadow lab is good, probably in the top half of the cast. She's one of if not the hardest characters to learn to play though. Yu, Chie, and Teddie are my recommendations for 3 really easy characters with no major weaknesses.

Shadow Lab is still the easiest doll character to play I've ever come across.

(The easiest to win with is Eddie :smug:)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The easiest is the entire cast of JoJo's minus the one with the actual doll. :smugdowns:

EDIT: Why isn't that an emoticon? That should be an emoticon.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

The easiest is the entire cast of JoJo's minus the one with the actual doll. :smugdowns:

EDIT: Why isn't that an emoticon? That should be an emoticon.

:shepface: is good enough.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Scrree posted:

I tend to underestimate the initial learning curve for S.Lab, but she's really fun even as you're learning her, just gotta know what people are doing with her that works and learn bit by bit. Heck, I went to training mode a lot before even trying to play online and I could only win like half my matches (this was back when the game came out though, the skill level was significantly lower overall).

Shamefully, my match count is in the thousands so controlling her and the bull becomes second nature by then :ohdear:

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Second day as Shadow Labrys: 100 matches played 21 wins wooo. Gonna keep on trucking though.

three comments:
Shad lab has basically has the Worst Hp, pretty slow attacks with a range that really doesn't seem longer than anyone elses (shorter than Mitsuru's pokes). Does the minotaur really make up for that once you get good at using it?

How the gently caress do you use Asterius without him just dying to a stiff breeze

I just got hit by Chie's dragon kick and I am furious.

Back to 20% Win Rate

edit: much more important question - How do you deal with characters like Elizabeth or Yukiko who can spam infinite range attacks that take up half the screen and lock you in a corner, is it literally just dashing at the exact right time or pulling off a 236236D in the split second they aren't attacking?

Scrree fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 19, 2012

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

Maid posted:

I could write something up but I'm not as familiar with the character as I'm with most of the cast, so I won't go into any specifics as I don't have time to launch the game right now and try stuff.

The basics for Kanji are the same as the other characters so doing the training reps I listed earlier would be a good starting point. Train especially these:
microdash 5a
microdash 214c/d
2147a/b (very low and fast air to ground throw)
27 j.214a/b
iabd j.214a/b

Most of Kanji's strength comes from his superb damage from the wakeup guessing game. Once you land a knockdown, you need to go into their head and guess what they'll throw. Punishing wakeup r-action with 5C or j.C fatal counter or command throw is very important and you should show the opponent that they will really want to think twice before using r-action on wakeup. Second, you should teach them not to do short-hop or jump on wakeup. Punish that with 2B into full combo. Check the combos from the wiki page, I haven't played around enough with Kanji to comment about them.
An occasional 2147a/b or 27 j.214a+b, especially in the corner is also a decent option, although it doesn't net as much damage as the other choices.
Finally, once they're afraid to do anything but block on wakeup, start doing 214C or 214C+D. If you expect mashing or not doing anything, 214D is good.

The main thing with kanji is that you need to get in their head and make them panic a lot when you get a knockdown and you're on them.

In order to put all your options in good use and get a good control of the match, you need to have at very least the basics down well, so I recommend grinding the reps I've listed for at least several hours, and even after that it's recommended to keep warming up before you play by going into practice mode for a while.

Blocking a mitsuru DP will do no good if you can't react to the situation and immediately have your fingers inputting a dash 5a or 5C if they have no meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

Thanks a ton! I actually finally snatched my first victory today, incredibly against a Mitsuru who had already beaten me once. I found myself really not knowing how to get in. I did learn not to poke with 2b, after getting beat by dp or AoA over and over. I can't tell you how many times I had 2b get eaten by the armor on Mitsuru's AoA. I was just lucky that he couldn't combo out of it for much damage. I also get why the D lightning is useful against an opponent who stays at range, though the practice of using it effectively still eludes me.

That said, I'm starting to see some improvement now. Thanks to a few hours in training and a lot of time in challenges, it's a lot more reflexive to do 236c after 2b, and I'm slowly grinding away at the timing on 2ab omc 2c 2b, which seems to be a pretty important link in his combos.

• Locked thread