Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Now if only we could integrate giant billiard balls...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Some previously unseen cutscenes and poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BeVjmI9-KI

Ignore the dude talking (I only need to say one word to sum up everything he says "Hair"), who says that's he's never really played this type of game before now.

[e]:
I think in one of the earliest trailers, where Dante is running through the collasping streets, everything was bright and colourful and kinda popped. Then the garish overlays came in in later trailers, and detracted from that. I mean, some of the environments are spectacular to look at, but they don't need that poo poo covering them up, giving everybody headaches and eyestrain.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 14, 2012

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

They have some beautiful environment level design, but I'm watching that stream right now and they keep ruining it with awful color overlays. Everything is red most of the time. It's not the only one either - the demo ones have the same filter over them and so do the videos of the tutorial area in the park.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

At this point I want reveiwers to suffer more than NT.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Pasteurized Milk posted:

So here's something I never thought I would say about the Devil May Cry game, the platforming in the demo reminds me of Sonic 2k6.

I can't count how many times I died during the demo trying to leap from one moving platform to another. For some reason I just couldn't get Dante to land at the right angle and eventually just gave up completely.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Uncle Wemus posted:

At this point I want reveiwers to suffer more than NT.

You've gotta wonder at the mentality of some of these who are basically saying; "I've never played [game] before, but this game plays exactly the same as the ones I've never played. I don't see what the problem is." :downs:

More unseen cutscenes from the Slurm Factory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKSjJFCCiOY

Dante gets the Hulk Hands from killing the Slurm Queen...and doesn't say a loving word and does nothing to show them off.

What the gently caress.

What happened to showing off the weapons?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i_8BpEOSHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEkmsMLJ2dc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiPaI57rWeM

Where's the sense of fun? Oh right. Ninja Theory. I'm guessing that wouldn't be appropiate for the narrative :jerkbag:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 14, 2012

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Game is steamworks, confirmed. No GWFL!

Also... they really need to get reviewers and previewers who are not terrible at the game :/

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's pretty funny he doesn't do that since the new issue of game informer says "performs hilariously improbable feats during cutscenes." I mean holy poo poo, is it really just hard to give your honest impressions? Capcom and NT can't seriously be paying off every reviewer out there.

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

Pesky Splinter posted:

Some previously unseen cutscenes and poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BeVjmI9-KI

Ignore the dude talking (I only need to say one word to sum up everything he says "Hair"), who says that's he's never really played this type of game before now.

Goddamn look at all that texture pop-in in those cutscenes.

"If you want to, you can make this game hard."

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

wildzero posted:

Goddamn look at all that texture pop-in in those cutscenes.

"If you want to, you can make this game hard."

I can make the Lego games hard too if i use the controller with my feet! :downs:

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Pesky Splinter posted:

Let them rot. If they go under because of this game, then good. It'd be no great loss. They've got some nice visual direction, sure, but they are awful at the gameplay element.

Yeesh. A little harsh, don't you think? I know this isn't exactly the best Devil May Cry game, and that they're getting a lot of what made the series good wrong, but it's not so bad that people deserve to lose their jobs over it. Maybe chill out a little, dude.

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

Just mash the buttons in some semblance of a sequence, you'll be alright. Apparently New Dante likes to have fun, and that's somehow novel to DmC; what, and Classic didn't?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

BlackFrost posted:

Yeesh. A little harsh, don't you think? I know this isn't exactly the best Devil May Cry game, and that they're getting a lot of what made the series good wrong, but it's not so bad that people deserve to lose their jobs over it. Maybe chill out a little, dude.

The best possible outcome this game can have is that it bombs and NT goes out of business. Ninja Theory stops making bad video games, the talent that works there can go to companies that don't make bad video games, and we can pretend there's even the slightest possibility that Capcom will learn something from the whole experience. Everybody wins!

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's pretty funny he doesn't do that since the new issue of game informer says "performs hilariously improbable feats during cutscenes." I mean holy poo poo, is it really just hard to give your honest impressions? Capcom and NT can't seriously be paying off every reviewer out there.

Downplaying issues in previews and making excuses is hardly exclusive to this game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

GUI posted:

Downplaying issues in previews and making excuses is hardly exclusive to this game.

True enough, but it's been rather excessive in the build up to this game in particular, I'm not saying the guys who handle them don't do it and this game happens to be the exception, I'm saying that it seems to be a rather special case with this game in how much of it it's getting.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

BlackFrost posted:

They don't make good games. They shouldn't really be a games company. Maybe a visual arts one or even maybe a film one, but not one that makes games. They've got good designers, who would probably be snapped up the instant they left by other companies or whatever to work, and they know how to do fairly decent mocap without it coming across as too uncanny-valley. It's amazing that they're still around considering their track record, and it's a drat miracle they didn't go under after Enslaved.

It doesn't help things when they're headed by a guy whose philosophy seems to be that it doesn't really matter that the things they're making are flops (or why they're flops), but rather that they're making their artistic vision known and felt. I understand the sentiment, but it's not really conducive to good business. Something's gonna give, sooner or later.

I don't quite mean to make it sound like I'd take a Romney-esque pleasure in people losing their jobs though. :blush:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 14, 2012

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

I want them to stop making games, I don't know if I want people to straight up lose their jobs (except maybe Tameem), but if NT survives this they need to re-evaluate what sort of company they are. They have some good people in their art department, and somehow have access to decent visual tech; like Pesky Splinter suggested, maybe they should do film instead.

wildzero fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 14, 2012

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, pretty much everything they do is beautiful to look at (which is why I'll give the game a shot after the price inevitably drops waaaay down and I can pick it up used for a song) but they make at best mediocre, boring games. I wish they were doing something more compatible with their talents.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

GUI posted:

It's the unbelievable amount of condescending press that they give the game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's pretty funny he doesn't do that since the new issue of game informer says "performs hilariously improbable feats during cutscenes."

"During cutscenes"?
Since when is that a game feature? It's an achievement when a game allows the player to do what the characters in cutscenes do.

What's next? "This game has a save feature!" "This game is compatible with your gaming system!" "Owning this game will not harm animals or children!"

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

"If you pop the DmC: Devil may Cry disc into its associated console, you will be treated to a loading screen and a title menu from which you can play this game! Make sure to choose 'New Game' by following the on-screen prompts corresponding to the buttons found on your controller."
- Games Journalism, January 2013

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Pesky Splinter posted:

I love how the weapons in Devil May Cry actually attacked Dante and he had to tame them to use them. Really reinforces that the fact that the "Devil Arms" were living weapons and extremely dangerous. DMC3 sort of did this, with the arms being souls of vanquished demons. I like it better the way it's done in the original game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

notZaar posted:

I love how the weapons in Devil May Cry actually attacked Dante and he had to tame them to use them. Really reinforces that the fact that the "Devil Arms" were living weapons and extremely dangerous. DMC3 sort of did this, with the arms being souls of vanquished demons. I like it better the way it's done in the original game.

While the wink-wink-nudge-nudge commentary with Lucifer and impromptu concert with Nevan are definitely up there in Dante's finest moments, nothing defines the PS2 era for me better than Dante getting impaled by Alastor and turning the tables in a single cutscene.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

While the wink-wink-nudge-nudge commentary with Lucifer and impromptu concert with Nevan are definitely up there in Dante's finest moments, nothing defines the PS2 era for me better than Dante getting impaled by Alastor and turning the tables in a single cutscene.

True, DMC was the first game I bought for my brand new PS2 and that scene blew my mind. No cgi, real time, Emotion Engine.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
More new footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmIs0DHkJ5s

You can see the final weapon (the Kablooey gun) being used about 1:50 - it fires an orange blob into the obese drones, and then detonates.

Dante gains DT (either before or after or during the inverted city level):
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvwong_dmc-obtaining-devil-trigger-gameplay_videogames#.UMr6MXdH4mw.

It seems underwhelming.

[e]: gently caress, even more poo poo - the press disclosure thing must have lifted.

Dante vs first boss cutscene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj-C7KLrZHg

Dante speaks to Vergil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1PHdxsjY9I
Way to poo poo on Sparda. Nephilim are the only things able to kill Mundus, apparently. It's all said in such a dry monotone too :geno:

Dante vs Bob:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKdFkIA402c
Better than slurm Queen, but the combat still isn't looking too hot (well, the bits IGN didn't edit out). Dialogue is slightly better though. "Breaking news, Bob. You're fired." I actually liked Bob's death, it was pretty clever.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 14, 2012

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

notZaar posted:

Well, it's not so necessary in DMC3, since you already beat the demon in question into submission. DMC1 & 4 the weapons are found, but with 4 I suppose you can take the position that Dante is just that good at that point. Another point would be that the devil arms in 4 are being used as batteries, whereas they were just lying around in 1.

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

Pesky Splinter posted:

Dante gains DT (either before or after or during the inverted city level):
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvwong_dmc-obtaining-devil-trigger-gameplay_videogames#.UMr6MXdH4mw.

It seems underwhelming.

You're tellin' me. Geez, put some effort into it, Ninja Theory.

I know I've commented on it before, but for all their talk of artistic vision, NT certainly skimped on that HUD.

ed: nevermind, the cutscene wasn't too bad, but the actual function of DT is pretty underwhelming

wildzero fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 14, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Yeah, the cutscene of actually triggering is okay. It loses the impact somewhat when all he does is just get white hair and dye his jacket red, instead of transforming into something more demonic. But it'll do. The mechanical use though. Meh.

DmC Introduction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2sfmoXGNPY

"Bad day to get a hangover! Get your filthy loving claw off my trailer!"
The F-bombs begin.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 14, 2012

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

At this rate, no one's gonna buy the game because the press releases have already shown it all. Can't wait for the Credits Trailer!

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

The Bob fight looked kind of neat, I was worried it be more like the three-headed thing from DMC2. Although all the cutscene interrupts in the middle of boss fights and general combat are really jarring. Unfortunately every time I see something in this game that strikes me as "kind of neat," I then remember the controls.

Also I don't know why a lot of the preview coverage claim Dante's got believable charm or whatever, every line is delivered almost monotonously.

wildzero fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 14, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Crowetron posted:

At this rate, no one's gonna buy the game because the press releases have already shown it all. Can't wait for the Credits Trailer!

There's a comment somewhere (I can't source it), where Capcom or NT said that we've seen roughly 75% of the game content.

Somethings can't be helped like the achievements list or people digging into the demo files, but things like letting the press play half the game (but only commenting on the first five - still a large chunk of game) strikes me as a bit odd.

[e]: And yet another goddamn video:

Dante's trip through the Slurm Factory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO2XoUOUkQY
(guy has cut out most story related cutscenes)

"What in the making GBS threads hell is going on here."

And pretty much the entireity of the first level (and boss fight)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDVmfBw1Bzg

The commentators are talking meaningless waffle, so it's best to blank them out.

"Do you loving demons even feel pain!?"
Such deep, and meaningful dialogue.

And from somewhere else:

Vergil has a blue pendent (and a t-shirt), and Dante's suddenly gone crosseyed.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 14, 2012

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
So DmC Devil Trigger is pretty much Dante going super saiyan with the eyes and hair changing colour. At least the previous games changed the appearance more (although Nero just had the demon shadow), it's also a bit disappointing that from the Dante and Vergil talking scene that Sparda seemingly went down like a bitch.

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

ed: ^^^ I liked Nero's Devil Trigger, how you could only see it in flashes when you attacked. It reminds me of how Dante's DT appeared in the first game.

Pesky Splinter posted:

There's a comment somewhere (I can't source it), where Capcom or NT said that we've seen roughly 75% of the game content.

One of the commentated previews you posted mentioned that there's only four bosses or something.

DMC4 had, if you don't count the repeats that Dante goes through, something around nine or ten.

wildzero fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 14, 2012

MustardMaster
Oct 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I always thought that almost any character design in video games were either goofy or silly, but now that I see how drab the new DmC looks like I'm starting to understand how important character design really is. DmC just looks uninteresting and boring and generic and even depressing and everything just blends into a gray mass that has red or blue background. DMC3 and 4 had a sense of fun an joy in them and it had a certain speed and energy in it.

This just makes me to want to take some Prozac.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Yeah, there's not many. The Vagina-faced monkey, Slurm Queen, Mundus and Vergil, and Monster Babby (assuming it's not a regular enemy). And Vergil's DLC looks to have a few as well.

Though it's not the quantity, it's the quality that's important. Mundus and the other one might still deliver, but the ones they've shown don't look that great so far.

To be anal about it and break it down into rough numbers:
DMC1 - Five bosses (all of which you face at least three times each)
DMC2 - Roughly Fourteen (Dante & Lucia combined, not counting repeats)
DMC3 - Eleven (Not counting repeats)
DMC4 - Eight (Not counting repeats)

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
I've always had the most fun fighting the bosses that are pretty similar to you like Nelo Angelo in DMC, Vergil fights in DMC3 and the Credo Angelo, Dante fights in DMC4.

Fighting them on the harder difficulties was always fun just because they could get up in your face constantly and wreck your poo poo if you weren't on your toes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pesky Splinter posted:

What the gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEkmsMLJ2dc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiPaI57rWeM

Where's the sense of fun? Oh right. Ninja Theory. I'm guessing that wouldn't be appropiate for the narrative :jerkbag:

Are they deliberately trying to piss off the fans? Blagh! That was a classic moment of the series. :/

So wait, Demon Hands? I need to do more research on what is known of the game right now,

I was kinda worried that the left trigger / right trigger meant that you'd only have 3 weapons in the game (Rebellion / Scythe / Axe). Are you going to get more, and you have to swap them out from slots like DMC3?

Do we know how many guns / devil arms there are in this one?

Awesome devil arms is definitely important. Rebellion felt like Rebellion/ForceEdge in the demo, so that was fine, and the scythe was cool enough, and had some moves that reminded me of DMC3/4, the axe was kinda meh...

And yeah, boss fights are huge.

DMC1 practically sold itself to me on 2 things: Keeping yourself in mid-air while you shoot marionettes (so cool), and climbing on the back of lava spider to rip the gently caress out of him (so cool)

DMC3 had freaking awesome boss fights, they were really hard at first but they're really not hard at all if you really learn the patterns, and there's a TON of them with great variety. I wan't super big on the "Now beat them all again!" Mega-man thing though :P

Still, I'll keep my eyes open on this one. Definitely getting a proper PC port, so that helps.

charismaslover posted:

I've always had the most fun fighting the bosses that are pretty similar to you like Nelo Angelo in DMC, Vergil fights in DMC3 and the Credo Angelo, Dante fights in DMC4.

Fighting them on the harder difficulties was always fun just because they could get up in your face constantly and wreck your poo poo if you weren't on your toes.

Fights against Virgil in DMC3 were probably my favorite.

Blagh, gently caress the Leviathan Heart though, that one sucked.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Man I really do feel so sorry for ninja theory right now. I just hope the game sells well and they can make a mechanically more complex sequel now they've done the hard part of getting together the basic framework etc.

So you're hoping this is their DMC2? I guess as long as they go on to make DMC3, that's fine, but... blagh.

I'll never forget the betrayal of dmc2. :saddowns:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zaphod42 posted:

Are they deliberately trying to piss off the fans? Blagh! That was a classic moment of the series. :/

Yes.

Zaphod42 posted:

Do we know how many guns / devil arms there are in this one?

Awesome devil arms is definitely important. Rebellion felt like Rebellion/ForceEdge in the demo, so that was fine, and the scythe was cool enough, and had some moves that reminded me of DMC3/4, the axe was kinda meh...

Eight weapons total (not including Vergil's) - Rebellion, two angel and two demon weapons, and three guns. And the two whip functions.

Rebellion is the neutral weapon that Dante defaults to when not in a stance, so I don't think it can ever be unequipped. The axe is actually probably one of the best weapons in terms of damage and upping the ranking system - because of the large AOE and the ability to break shields. The scythe has a wide hit range, and is good for keeping enemies in the air, but does so little damage it's almost not worth it.

The other weapons are the Eryx gauntlets (the hulk hands) which don't look very effective to use, though it's hard to gauge it with how terrible the streams showing it off have been. There's also the Aquila weapon, which a a type of spinning glaive thing, which has a huge AOE, homing attacks, and a gently caress- off tornado attack which basically can stunlock enemies and does large amounts of damage, with Dante seemingly invulnerable during this.

The guns are the DMC standard E&I (but nerfed), a shotgun, and a gun that fires explosive darts.

You can cycle through all the weapons via the d-pad (like changing Dante's style in 4).

Unless he gets something different in the DLC, Vergil uses Yamato and summoned swords.
---

As for how much is known about this game, a fair bit. Mostly via leaks and rips and things.

The first was a playtester who violated the NDA and leaked a large chunk of the game and gameplay stuff (bosses, some scenes, general combat, controls, etc). Then the usual stuff from magazine revealing stuff and press releases, but then the achivement list came out early and spoiled pretty much everything else. And then some dude from 4chan extracted models and datalists from the demo files spoiling nearly everything else (aside from the DLC).

I'll put it like this, enough is known to make an rough guideline for about 2/3 of the plot and what happens, and fill in the blanks with educated guesses. The specifics aren't necessarily clear, but the overall stuff is.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I was kinda worried that the left trigger / right trigger meant that you'd only have 3 weapons in the game (Rebellion / Scythe / Axe). Are you going to get more, and you have to swap them out from slots like DMC3?

You have one Demon, one Angel and Rebellion. You use the D-Pad to switch the currently equipped Angel or Demon weapon.

• Locked thread