Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

The Rooster posted:

It's gotta extend beyond McNulty, since the trains are referenced even in scenes without him.

True. The episode summaries probably need a running tally of scenes involving trains, train tracks, and so forth, so we can work this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

The Rooster posted:

It's gotta extend beyond McNulty, since the trains are referenced even in scenes without him.

You stole the words out of my mouth.

CaptainHollywood posted:

Rewatching the first two episodes is making me realize it's really hard to see any of these actors in other roles without thinking of the wire.

Also, Herc is seen with the tennis ball in episode one. :ninja:

Also, when Jimmy meets Rawls, there's a ship (in a bottle) between them. In later episodes, Rawls still has the ship, but it isn't on his primary desk. It's off to the side on another desk.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Huh.

An oncoming locomotive seems like a simple metaphor. They don't deviate, and anything that gets in their way is destroyed. Maybe there's some other quality that Simon had in mind?

Don't shoot the messenger, man. I'm just relaying what Simon said. At some point the train is stopped. You hear it in the background a lot in non-McNulty scenes. By the end of this thread we'll have to find a way to call David Simon and just ask him.

We can pretend to be the law offices of Pepper, Pepper and Bayleaf.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EvanSchenck posted:

True. The episode summaries probably need a running tally of scenes involving trains, train tracks, and so forth, so we can work this out.

Yes. If EA doesn't want to do it I'll do the train-spotter's guide to the Wire. :radcat:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

LordPants posted:

Yes. If EA doesn't want to do it I'll do the train-spotter's guide to the Wire. :radcat:

I'm totally up for it. But I appreciate your offer.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MrBling posted:

They should all be natives, damnit.

My immersion. :cry:

All the street people seem to just say "B-more" which I assume is a native word for it as well.

Or Bodymore, Murdaland. :haw:

Snoop posted:

Here we lay a couple New York boys who came too far south for their own fuckin' good. Where ya fuckin' Yankee pride at now, fuckin' bitches?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

MrBling posted:

They should all be natives, damnit.

My immersion. :cry:

The distinctive Balmer accent is only spoken in certain parts of the city populated by working-class Whites, who IIRC are descended mostly from Scots-Irish who migrated in from the Alleghenies in the late 19th century to work the factories. The show doesn't really spend any time in those parts of the city. The dockers from S2 are all Polish, Italian, and so forth, more recent immigrants, so they don't have the accent. It should probably be more common among incidental characters, though.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

escape artist posted:

Except Herc because he was brought in from NY.

<---------And, well, my man from NY as well.

And the "Greeks"

Did they ever explain why Herc came to Baltimore from NYC or was it just one of those "Herc is obviously a New Yorker, so let's leave it at that" kind of things?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Boondock Saint posted:

Did they ever explain why Herc came to Baltimore from NYC or was it just one of those "Herc is obviously a New Yorker, so let's leave it at that" kind of things?

It was supposed to be a side story but they didn't have enough time for it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

escape artist posted:

It was supposed to be a side story but they didn't have enough time for it.

Ahh yes, I'm remembering now Domenick Lombardozzi giving an interview right after the fourth season that said Herc's background and why he came to Baltimore was going to get fleshed out in the fifth season. Shame it never happened.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

EvanSchenck posted:

The distinctive Balmer accent is only spoken in certain parts of the city populated by working-class Whites, who IIRC are descended mostly from Scots-Irish who migrated in from the Alleghenies in the late 19th century to work the factories. The show doesn't really spend any time in those parts of the city. The dockers from S2 are all Polish, Italian, and so forth, more recent immigrants, so they don't have the accent. It should probably be more common among incidental characters, though.

Also no John Waters or Hons.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

MrBling posted:

You missed a golden opportunity to use the thread subtitle "...and all the pieces matter".

Psh, don't know what you're talking about! ;)

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Rewatching the show without having to focus so hard is allowing me to try to pick up on the finer details. Never noticed this sign before, which pretty much sums up the series in general.

Also I wonder if the actors when reading the first season knew that they were going to be part of something truly special- even when they got passed on during award season.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 15, 2012

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
Wow I never noticed that either, that's amazing. Reminds me of Daniels having a box in his office in the series finale that says "100% recycled" just as Steintorf tells him he has to juke the stats so Carcetti can become governor.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Hopping on the "2nd time watching this and omg" bandwagon, I just finished season 1, episode 3.

Holy poo poo, that scene where D'Angelo is teaching Bodie and Wallace how to play chess. D'Angelo is making a metaphor of the game since he refers to how the King is like Avon and the Queen is like Stringer, but what's amazing is how much deeper that metaphor actually goes in the context of the entire show. It's something that only really hits me strongly the second time through.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Pellisworth posted:

Hopping on the "2nd time watching this and omg" bandwagon, I just finished season 1, episode 3.

Holy poo poo, that scene where D'Angelo is teaching Bodie and Wallace how to play chess. D'Angelo is making a metaphor of the game since he refers to how the King is like Avon and the Queen is like Stringer, but what's amazing is how much deeper that metaphor actually goes in the context of the entire show. It's something that only really hits me strongly the second time through.

In the last thread it was recently determined that the real King is The Greek :ssh:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

CaptainHollywood posted:

In the last thread it was recently determined that the real King is The Greek :ssh:

Yeah, I was intentionally vague. The tagline of that episode is "The King stay the King" and when D'Angelo is explaining the game, Bodie asks if the pawns could ever become Kings. D'Angelo tells him that's not how it works. I definitely read that and other bits as allusions to The Greek being the real King.

Like I said, it's a clever metaphor for the drug game. But if you've seen the whole series before and are rewatching, you see how it's actually an even deeper metaphor for the drug-trade side of the entire series.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
I'm gonna catch up with this thread when I finish Oz, not too worried as I must have seen The Wire five times over by now, but this is my first time through Oz and as of season 4 approximately 99% of the cast was later cast in The Wire. That's one big coincidence I haven't seen addressed in any behind-the-scenes stuff; was someone a big Oz fan, does HBO dip from the same pool of actors a lot, or just a crazy amount of coincidences?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

I'm gonna catch up with this thread when I finish Oz, not too worried as I must have seen The Wire five times over by now, but this is my first time through Oz and as of season 4 approximately 99% of the cast was later cast in The Wire. That's one big coincidence I haven't seen addressed in any behind-the-scenes stuff; was someone a big Oz fan, does HBO dip from the same pool of actors a lot, or just a crazy amount of coincidences?

HBO actors pop up all over the place.

You'll see a lot of them on The Sopranos and Oz and The Wire and The Corner, all playing vastly different roles. It's pretty funny sometimes.

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

I always assumed it was the Tom Fontana/David Simon/Homicide connection. Sort of like how Clark Johnson gets to have this rich and exciting career within the David Simon universe but he's basically a non-entity outside of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Most of the Oz characters broke out of prison and fled into New York City, where they took on alibis and guest-starred in the original Law & Order a lot.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

solovyov posted:

I always assumed it was the Tom Fontana/David Simon/Homicide connection. Sort of like how Clark Johnson gets to have this rich and exciting career within the David Simon universe but he's basically a non-entity outside of it.

Clark Johnson doesn't get a lot of acting work, but he is a pretty prolific and well respected director at this point.

EDIT:
Actually, looking at his IMDB page, he's been getting acting work as well, just nothing super notable.

confused fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 15, 2012

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
With regards to the typewriters, I'd point out that the NYPD is still using them to this day. The NYPD, for Christ's sake.

vseslav.botkin fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 15, 2012

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

My keys are somewhere in there.
There are some other folks in the show who tend to skate by much like the Greek. Clay Davis certainly has some king qualities about him, and Carcetti is moving into a stratosphere that will keep him comfortably employed for the rest of his existence.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
If Avon is the king, then he got checkmated by Marlo and company.

Just a late night, drowsy thought.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I'd argue he didn't. He was about to hit Marlo hard, likely killing him and his top lieutenant.

The police are the ones who check mated Marlo, all because of Stringer. Had there been no interference, Avon would be king of the streets yet again.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I'd argue he didn't. He was about to hit Marlo hard, likely killing him and his top lieutenant.

The police are the ones who check mated Marlo, all because of Stringer. Had there been no interference, Avon would be king of the streets yet again.

I didn't start watching until season 4 but I remember watching "All Prologue" and when Avon hesitates before fist bumping String through the glass I knew that they were going to destroy each other.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Thank you so much for this thread and inspiring me finally rewatch Wire :)

I wish there was a thread like this with Oz

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
As Omar is due to make his first appearance in The Rewatch, Donnie Andrews, the guy who Omar was based on has died. That's some spiderman poo poo right there...

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Episode 2, when De Angelo arrives at the community center with his girlfriend and kid; Stringer is already eying the girl.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

escape artist posted:

If Avon is the king, then he got checkmated by Marlo and company.

Just a late night, drowsy thought.

Naw, Marlo was a pawn that reached the opposite end of the board and became a Queen. The Greek is still the King.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

inignot posted:

Episode 2, when De Angelo arrives at the community center with his girlfriend and kid; Stringer is already eying the girl.

Yeah, it's really (subtly) awkward how he tells her to spin around and is obviously checking her out. It's interesting that her guard immediately comes up and she's creeped out by it.

Also, I'm so glad this thread exists.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

inignot posted:

With the benefit of hindsight, her "Ewww what are you doing old man?" reaction is pretty hilarious.

Edit: R.I.P. Donnie Andrews, it was always nice to read about a guy who made the most of the second chance he got.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 15, 2012

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
I guess Omar's character hadn't been fully set by this point but he cusses in S01E05 in the graveyard scene around 52 minutes in: "I think your snitch can handle that. poo poo, Bubbles know Bird."

Weird.

E: Meant to put this in the main Wire thread but whatever.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I never got the "Omar never curses" thing, because he does, quite often. "Omar curses less than most of the other characters" doesn't have quite the same ring to it though.

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

My keys are somewhere in there.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Yup.

There's a reason everyone was surprised that Marlo was standing up to the Barksdale gang. Marlo's crew at that point was basically a jumped up corner crew that nobody gave any real shot against the numbers and firepower that Avon's people could bring to bear. Sure Marlo had Chris and Snoop, but he didn't really get any serious manpower until after the Barksdales collapsed altogether. That's why Chris and Snoop were looking for prospective soldiers and training them up in S4.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Other dovetail thing I noticed just watching episode 2 season 1 now:

When Levy goes to pick up D'angelo from homicide, he's bitching that he's missing Yvette's Brisket. As he offered to Herc on the last-ever episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Skeesix posted:

Other dovetail thing I noticed just watching episode 2 season 1 now:

When Levy goes to pick up D'angelo from homicide, he's bitching that he's missing Yvette's Brisket. As he offered to Herc on the last-ever episode.

Is anyone else shocked that Levy slaps D'Angelo on the back of the head as he leads him out? I know that most of the top guys have a pretty low opinion of D, but while I can see Levy lambasting him verbally, the humiliation of a slap on the head seems really odd to me.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Jerusalem posted:

Is anyone else shocked that Levy slaps D'Angelo on the back of the head as he leads him out? I know that most of the top guys have a pretty low opinion of D, but while I can see Levy lambasting him verbally, the humiliation of a slap on the head seems really odd to me.

I think I agree with you. It does seem out of character for Levy. Maybe if it had been someone like Poot, I could kind of imagine Levy doing that. Maybe they were still flushing out his character at the time. In general, I don't think Levy cares enough about what his clients do to feel the need to slap one of them.

confused fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 16, 2012

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

Jerusalem posted:

Replace "shocked that" with "living vicariously when."

I did find that gesture surprising, but I figured it was a reflection of Levy's handle on D's position/esteem within the organization. D had completely hosed up writing that letter. Given Avon's later enforcement mechanisms, I'm not sure how you can be surprised that he'd tolerate that level of disrespect directed at D in that moment. I don't think Levy was acting out of turn at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I think they were emphasizing that when you're being interrogated by the police the only thing you should say or do is ask for your lawyer, then wait quietly for him to arrive. Simon really hammers this message heavily in the chapter of "Homicide" about interrogations. Having Levy go all "you people" and slap D's head is making it clear that D made a really basic and incredibly stupid error. It might also be intended to reinforce the point that D is a bit of a chump, since Levy feels ok putting hands on him and D accepts it (imagine if Levy pulled that on Bird).

But yeah, it isn't right for the character and as far as making the point about shutting up during interrogations it is a bit on-the-nose for this show, so I put it down to the writers still trying to find the tone.