Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel alone in being the only one who likes boss rushes. The boss fights were some of my favorite things in DMC, DMC3, and DMC4 so getting to fight them again (IN DMC3 and 4) without having to go through an entire level like before is just great for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Pesky Splinter posted:

^^^
[e]: Yeah, the cutscene of actually triggering is okay. It loses the impact somewhat when all he does is just get white hair and dye his jacket red, instead of transforming into something more demonic. But it'll do. The mechanical use though. Meh.

DmC Introduction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2sfmoXGNPY

"Bad day to get a hangover! Get your filthy loving claw off my trailer!"
The F-bombs begin.

I'm glad this is on Youtube because it explains everything wrong with New Dante in less than twenty seconds

I don't understand how we're supposed to like new Dante. He's not even fun, he's just a straight up, young 20s-something rear end in a top hat that we've all had the displeasure of meeting. Dante is so fake edgy that Ninja Theory wants us to get cuts just from watching that video.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm glad this is on Youtube because it explains everything wrong with New Dante in less than twenty seconds

I don't understand how we're supposed to like new Dante. He's not even fun, he's just a straight up, young 20s-something rear end in a top hat that we've all had the displeasure of meeting. Dante is so fake edgy that Ninja Theory wants us to get cuts just from watching that video.

That's the biggest problem with DmC, the new Dante isn't likeable.

DMC1 Dante was a loving badass. You had to respect him. Silent and moody.
DMC3 Dante was a young hothead, so he was slightly annoying to some people (I loved the over the top schtick), but his mouth wasn't writing checks his body couldn't cash; he was loving surfing on rockets for crying out loud. Bwahaha.
DMC4 Dante was possibly my favorite actually, grown up and reserved, super badass, doesn't even need to defend himself. Who cares? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am. I defeated Mundus years ago, I got this poo poo.

But the new DmC Dante... he's trying way too hard to prove himself, he's super, super cocky without being all that cool to back it up, I'm not seeing the puns or oneliners being quite as satisfying..

But I guess we already knew that. We always hated the reboot Dante. I guess at least he's better than the original E3 version that WAS the head developer.

Also, on a positive note, I REALLY love the environments! They're brilliant. The idea that Dante is in the real world with real people but gets dragged to Limbo to do fighting helps explain the ridiculousness of it all. And having most of the game in a surreal alternate world gives them the freedom to go all Inception on the city, I love it.

DMC1 had the castle in its gothic, layered complexity, and DMC3 had the city and Temen-ni-grue, both were really well designed by very, very brown.
DMC4 was much less brown, more white and green and stuff, but it was more bland as far as levels, I didn't quite care as much about Nero's stupid town.
This does look like my favorite environment so far!

That said, I hate most of the surrounding story elements. Dante is a wanted terrorist? What? Can't the government like track him down or something then? He's a loving teenage demon hunter demon, he's gotta make lots of noise wherever he goes. And Virgil working with him and "we have a new weapon, his name is Dante!" uggggggggggggh so lame.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I feel alone in being the only one who likes boss rushes. The boss fights were some of my favorite things in DMC, DMC3, and DMC4 so getting to fight them again (IN DMC3 and 4) without having to go through an entire level like before is just great for me.

I'm right there with you dude, I love it when certain missions are just straight-up boss fights or rushes. It's just that most of them in the DMC series aren't "true" boss rushes since you have to fight monster waves in between (dice rolling in DMC4 and the chessboard fight in DMC3). Hell, it's usually only the final mission in the games that leads directly into a boss fight, and DMC3's final duel with Vergil doesn't have that insanely badass music from the second fight.

I think most people would prefer a real boss rush mode though, with leaderboards and all that jazz.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 14, 2012

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

If new Dante was a side character in the series I think he would be interesting, but as a main character not really. Compare the intro with DMC3, its a dark beginning as our hero is stabbed but then it goes back to the shop where he's bashing monsters up and eating pizza. It looks cool, but DmC is trying to be gritty (Yay for CombiChrist placement too! So much for that political message guys)

Reading other sites, gotta love the comments from the fans, saying that as 60 FPS on Pc it means that the 30 FPS comments are now invalid (PROTIP - Comments are still valid, jerks).

On the topic of boss rushes, I'm okay with them sometimes, or if I can shorten them. But when you had DMC4 doing it basically twice meant that I was burned out at the end. If I'm to fight a boss again, I'd prefer it to be in a different location with some different moves to spice things up, something that the series has proven already.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zaphod42 posted:

DMC4 was much less brown, more white and green and stuff, but it was more bland as far as levels, I didn't quite care as much about Nero's stupid town.

Well it's a good thing you're barely in Fortuna then, huh? I mean, if you're gonna complain about DMC4's structure then fine, but it barely had bland locations. It's goes from a town to a village to a snow filled mountain to a castle to a jungle to the Order's base of operations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I don't even get what the gently caress the nature of the world of DMC4 is. Is it medieval? Is it present-day? Is this some weird country that's completely cut off from the rest of the world? I mean I don't see any cars and people seem to have very simple basic technology but Nero's rocking his bigass headphones that are playing MP3s he got from a computer that's probably made of wood.

The previous games had Dante fighting through streets with cars, etc(except for when he's in an ancient castle or in a giant tower that came from hell). and using telephones and ordering pizza while listening to jukeboxes so Fortuna seems so out of place.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

I don't even get what the gently caress the nature of the world of DMC4 is. Is it medieval? Is it present-day? Is this some weird country that's completely cut off from the rest of the world? I mean I don't see any cars and people seem to have very simple basic technology but Nero's rocking his bigass headphones that are playing MP3s he got from a computer that's probably made of wood.

The series occurs during "modern day" except demons hosed the world up at one point in history, but the island of Fortuna in DMC4 was more or less owned by the Sparda-worshipping cult. I guess it explains the baroque architecture and people looking like they're stuck in the past :v:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I think it's just meant to be like an autonomous papal state somewhere. They do have modern conveniences like as cars and such.

But they all follow that cult so dress in hoods and other religious poo poo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nail Rat posted:

The previous games had Dante fighting through streets with cars, etc(except for when he's in an ancient castle or in a giant tower that came from hell). and using telephones and ordering pizza while listening to jukeboxes so Fortuna seems so out of place.

I think, given the whole TOTALLY-NOT-AN-EVIL-CATHOLIC-CHURCH vibe Nero's religion had the town's supposed to be something similar to the Vatican. Lots of really old poo poo that they're trying to keep in tact.

Also I'm pretty sure you see cares in the second mission when you're devil grabbing around the roof tops. And modern boats in the area before the boss fight.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Dante gains DT (either before or after or during the inverted city level):
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvwong_dmc-obtaining-devil-trigger-gameplay_videogames#.UMr6MXdH4mw.

It seems underwhelming.

Err, wow. I hope there's more context to that scene in the game. Dante grabs a MacGuffin, sees a statue crumble and glow and then he has DT. DMC1 didn't exactly give DT its own super awesome reveal, but it was built into the Alastor impalement scene so I can forgive that a bit, but holy poo poo is that lame compared to the DMC3/4 reveals with Dante and Rebellion on the tower and Nero acquiring Yamato.

Also, that cutscene doesn't reveal too much about the actual functionality. I hope it's more of a tool for controlling fights than a periodic burst of power like in God of War. I'm guessing the slow down was just for that first try, I really hope it isn't always going to do that because it just makes it look like a crappier version of Quicksilver.

e: Wait a minute, it's in the demo? God drat, I really need to get off my rear end and download it. I just watched this guy doing a SSS run and that has to be the most depressingly anemic DT gauge building. It's going up so slowly it seems like you couldn't use it at all regularly in combat.

e2: Oh jesus, it really is a lovely Quicksilver. How did they gently caress up Devil Trigger so much?

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 14, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

WeaponBoy posted:

Wait a minute, it's in the demo? God drat, I really need to get off my rear end and download it. I just watched this guy doing a SSS run and that has to be the most depressing anemic DT gauge building. It's going up so slowly it seems like you couldn't use it at all regularly in combat.

It's pretty useless. On regular enemies it just sends them flying into the air (and stuns them) while boosting your attack damage, the downside of which is that you have to grab the enemies or pull yourself towards them (during which time DT is draining like a bitch) to attack them, so will probably barely have time to hit any more than about one or two, unless they're grouped together. And on bosses, it's a straight up damage booster which breaks the axe even more.

The DT is upgradable to make it last for longer, but yeah...

You have to click down both analog sticks in the default controls to activate it. Such a weird place to put it.

Mr D
Aug 9, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

Dante speaks to Vergil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1PHdxsjY9I
Way to poo poo on Sparda. Nephilim are the only things able to kill Mundus, apparently. It's all said in such a dry monotone too :geno:

I have been sitting here for what must have been a good half an hour, just trying to put into words how awful this clip is. This is their ground breaking narrative? War between Heaven and Hell? A concept that was played out at least 20 years ago?

But wait! What if an Angel and a Demon fell in love? Shocking twist, right? And then they had kids? And those kids were prophecised to be the only ones capable of killing the bad guy?

Seriously, the whole things sounds like a Sy-fy original movie or a bad piece of internet fiction from the days of Geocities and Angelfire.

And that's disregarding the characterless, dry 'dialogue' which consists entirely of an exposition dump. If they'd wanted to add an iota of personality to the new Dante and Vergil this would have been the scene for it. But instead it sounds like a rough draft that got recorded by accident. They are literally telling you the backstory in a dull speech featuring lines like "But even as Eva was destroyed and Sparda imprisoned, each knew the seed for their revenge had already been sown. For according to legend the only beings that can slay a demon king are Nephilim. A hybrid of Angel and Demon."

You know why the original Devil May Crys didn't have this problem? Because no one, not even the characters gave a single gently caress about the plot (which was just as hackneyed and cliche) and instead got on with making wisecracks and doing ridiculous poo poo like shooting a falling sword so hard it breaks the sound barrier.

I know this has all been said before, but I just can't believe anyone can watch/read/listen to the script here and think that this is passable, let alone good.

I'm not angry about video games. I'm angry that someone who is paid to write can do so this badly and get away with it.

EDIT: For someone so worked up about writing I can't seem to do it that well myself.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWZAb9ejPs

Was this posted yet?

DEMON SEX

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
If their intention is to make Lilith look like a repulsive Florida trashy woman (and I assume she ain't supposed to be pretty) then mission loving accomplished. Good lord.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Man, all those pictures on the wall look like someone pasted heads onto them. They just look so awkward. Actually, they look like CAD panels with the characters staring off dumbly into space instead of actually looking at the other person.

:wtc:

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 14, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: I could understand that level of quality if it were far in the background and you can't really see them, but the camera focuses right on them. No-one can miss how terrible those look. Geez!

A big problem is focus. What is this plot meant to be focusing on? Dante getting revenge on Mundus? The "satiric" elements?

What tone are they trying to go for? Are we meant to be taking these characters seriously, or not?

A better thing to have done (if they're trying for pathos), would be to have Vergil and Dante sit down in the park, with Vergil being able to remember poo poo, and telling him what he remembers about Eva and Sparda - as parents, not as some distant story.

gently caress PATHOS :gonk:

That poo poo is nasty.

"We need a scene where Mundus finds out that Slurm Queen is dead. How do we do it?"
"Oh just have the mocaps pretend to gently caress each other, and we'll write some really crappy dialogue."

[e2]: She wears a wig when we see her later. She's just tightening up her loose old-lady skin with a valve or something on her head. Wonder if that's a DEMONS ARE BEHIND PLASTIC SURGERY thing.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 14, 2012

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Is she supposed to have hair or is that like, her skin all balled up on the top of her head? I can't tell.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
There's even more poo poo, this time, with a focus on Vergil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmAxWs6i0zs

Mundus wants to control the world through DEBT. :psyduck:

Is this for loving real? People wrote this. This, Demon Sex, and gently caress YOU, is really the direction this series wants to go down!?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 14, 2012

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

There's even more poo poo, this time, with a focus on Vergil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmAxWs6i0zs

Mundus wants to control the world through DEBT. :psyduck:

Is this for loving real? People wrote this.

You see, if people fall into a really bad economical situation and take too much debt, they will be more willing to sell their souls. His plan is flawless.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Man, those Vergil scenes. I'm reminded of the Red Letter Media reviews of Star Wars talking about people just standing around talking about poo poo. Excitement!

Actually, the prequels also had a boring plot about tax levies and trade embargoes.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
This loving dialgoue is wful. I know it's been mentioned before, but really, for the GREATEST VIDEO GAME STORY ever told, it's so redundant.

'Hello Dante I am your brother'
'Dante the first boss is after you oh no you are going to fightworld bye'
'The people who can defeat me are trying to defeat me this makes me angry'

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

This might be the first DMC game where I don't skip the cutscenes on the first playthrough because the plot looks more interesting than the gameplay.

Note: Interesting does not equal good.

PS I can't stop laughing at the debt line(s).

This game might end up being funnier than Sonic 2006 at this rate and I never thought that'd end up happening again.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Chucat posted:

This game might end up being funnier than Sonic 2006 at this rate and I never thought that'd end up happening again.

It is looking to be at that level of being laughably bad. Kind of like the Room - where you know it was made with complete and utter sincerity in people thinking it's good, but it's terrible, yet funny for all the wrong reasons.

I love this quote from Tameem:

quote:

"[DmC] is the first game I've written, cast and directed myself. If I do my job right, you should be seeing a story of Dante that breaks the myth that all videogame stories are trite and will never stand up to the best that theatre and film have to offer."

And from NT's website:

quote:

"...an opportunity to elevate the games experience into one that can rival film and literature...."

:allears: Bwhaha.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 14, 2012

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
Every single one of those loving videos.
Especially the demon sex one.

Just what the gently caress, Ninja Theory? Is this REALLY what you think DMC should be about? What a good story should be about? Crass bullshit that is only there for shock value that spoilers: isn't actually shocking at all in this day and age?

Christ, go gently caress yourself Tameem. I was with the guys earlier who said that NT shouldn't really get destroyed because of this game, but this position is getting harder and harder to maintain.

There are no loving words.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

If the cutscenes in this game are unskippable I take back everything bad I have ever said about this game and I'll call every member of Ninja Theory a complete and utter genius.

It's like the Space Harrier level in Bayonetta but taken to the nth degree.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Chucat posted:

If the cutscenes in this game are unskippable I take back everything bad I have ever said about this game and I'll call every member of Ninja Theory a complete and utter genius.

It's like the Space Harrier level in Bayonetta but taken to the nth degree.

Except Kamiya actually said in one of his dev commentary videos that he realizes now that it dragged on way too long. I just don't see Tameem backing down. I imagine this will end up more like Dragon Age 2 where Gaider defended the awful writing to the death.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Well it's a good thing you're barely in Fortuna then, huh? I mean, if you're gonna complain about DMC4's structure then fine, but it barely had bland locations. It's goes from a town to a village to a snow filled mountain to a castle to a jungle to the Order's base of operations.

It did have a forest, a snowy castle, and the church fortress. But that was my point, it had much more variety and color than the way 3 and 1 had you in the same location the whole time, and how they were brown. I conceded that first! But I only then meant to say, they felt bland in that they weren't very memorable, I don't remember as much about the jungle and the snow and the castle as I do the castle and the city/tem-en-ni-gru of 1 and 3. But then again that could be massive perception bias because I've played so much more of DMC1 and DMC3, and I just didn't care for DMC4's story as much (though loved its combat and graphics and everything else, so it was fine, action games story isn't everything)

quote:

"[DmC] is the first game I've written, cast and directed myself. If I do my job right, you should be seeing a story of Dante that breaks the myth that all videogame stories are trite and will never stand up to the best that theatre and film have to offer."

Hooooly poo poo. This guy's distortion of reality, misunderstanding of the state of the industry, and tremendous overestimation of his own abilities... it rivals that of even Molyneux. The way he so clearly wants to make a movie, I'm now afraid this is gonna be like MGS4.

Unskippable cutscenes? Oh dear god. :suicide:

Wut.

NT
Wat are u doin
NT
Stahp

Seriously, this is supposed to make us rethink the state of games as art? Holy gently caress is somebody seriously deluded.

Also, am I the only one spergy enough to be bothered Mundus is in full clothing? Its not like I want to see him shirtless or anything x_x

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 14, 2012

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Hooooly poo poo. This guy's distortion of reality, misunderstanding of the state of the industry, and tremendous overestimation of his own abilities... it rivals that of even Molyneux.

So its a severe case of Dunning Kruger!? It all makes sense now :psyduck: (Except which producer thought it was a good idea to have a guy like his handle so much)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't worry, the majoirty of cutscenes are skippable, except for a few cases to mask loading, and some specific cutscenes (like Dante pulling out the camera eyes, or using the demon pull on the Slurm Queen.)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

Don't worry, the majoirty of cutscenes are skippable, except for a few cases to mask loading, and some specific cutscenes (like Dante pulling out the camera eyes, or using the demon pull on the Slurm Queen.)

Ah, cool.

Hm. I'm still not sure if I should buy this, enjoy the levels and the action and mostly skip the story, or if I should skip it entirely and just give the HD collection a solid replay.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 14, 2012

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
At least there won't be QTE's during the cut-scenes, that way we can all enjoy the movie :v:. From watching those clips earlier it's nice that NT kindly repeat most of the information at least twice in the same scene "We are Nephilim, Hybrids, Nephilim, Hybrids, NephilimNephilimNephilim"

if there was a black mark against Bayonetta it would be those QTE's that pop up from nowhere.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

WeaponBoy posted:

Except Kamiya actually said in one of his dev commentary videos that he realizes now that it dragged on way too long. I just don't see Tameem backing down. I imagine this will end up more like Dragon Age 2 where Gaider defended the awful writing to the death.

I'll explain this better using as few words as possible.

Space Harrier : Jeanne Bossfight :: Laughable plot : Poor gameplay

Quite simply this game is like some sick combination of MGS2's plot trolling everyone with the gameplay of Master Quest, also trolling everyone.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Jesus, the guns in DMC2 are stupidly powerful :stare:

A quick search led me to find that taunts were taken out of this game because of Dante's new personality and didn't fit, sounds a bit familiar that part.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

charismaslover posted:

A quick search led me to find that taunts were taken out of this game because of Dante's new personality and didn't fit, sounds a bit familiar that part.

They must have realised that it was a dumb idea, because not only did 3 put them back, but Dante's cameo in Shin Megami Tensei (which came out before 3) has him being able to use that as a move. SMT Dante is really what DMC2 Dante should have been.

Seriously:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ovWdh8G0Ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy3ufqp3l10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LazYy_cfibY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-_tqa3CHHo

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pesky Splinter posted:

Cue the magazines and reviewers, ":byodood: well they can't bitch about the hair anymore!" line:

I should note, that's not a fan edit (well the pose is, but the model isn't).

[e]: And some dude's been playing around in DMC4 with the models and textures.

This sounds petty as hell, but did anyone photoshop this into a Fight Club scene and tweeted it to Tameem?

Looking at gameplay footage, I like some of the animations (Dante losing balance while swinging his sword is a nice touch), but it seems to lack impact. I played DMC2 forever ago, but even then that game felt a bit more 'crunchy' that what I have seen of this.

EDIT: Also, what is going to be left that isn't shown already by NT by the time this gets released?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Unlucky7 posted:

EDIT: Also, what is going to be left that isn't shown already by NT by the time this gets released?

A few enemy designs (the trash mob ones mostly - there's already an enemy listing detailing them all), the specifics of the last gun (though it has been in a trailer and we have a vague idea about what it does), Boss-Mundus' full body (though it's heavily implied he turns into a giant statue thing in one of the trailers - and we've already seen his face from the achievements), Boss-Vergil, the game's last 1/3 or so of levels, the specifics of the plot (as I said we already pretty much can see how it's going to play out), and the content of the DLC.

It's almost embarassing just how much is known. To the point that in the Capcom streams, they wouldn't show an enemy that people already knew about due to it being released in a magazine, achievements, trailers, and datamined from the demo.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 15, 2012

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Hooooly poo poo. This guy's distortion of reality, misunderstanding of the state of the industry, and tremendous overestimation of his own abilities... it rivals that of even Molyneux. The way he so clearly wants to make a movie, I'm now afraid this is gonna be like MGS4.

Here's a comedy bit from the Youtube Demon Sex comments:

quote:

Well's here something I'm sure most people didn't know, Tameem, who is writing this game, didn't write Enslaved or Heavenly Sword. They would have scripts, but would then hire other writers and the original scripts by Tameem were thrown out. Enslaved was written by Alex Garland who wrote 28 Days Later and Dredd. Heavenly Sword was written by Rhianna Pratchett who is currently writing the Tomb Raider reboot.

This gets better and better. This is especially funny after reading that Alex Garland interview about game writing (need to find that again) where he basically lays out, although doesn't fully humiliate them, that they (NT) were completely oblivious to what character development was and how you do this through character actions in the narrative.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 15, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

This gets better and better. This is especially funny after reading that Alex Garland interview about game writing (need to find that again) where he basically lays out, although doesn't fully humiliate them, that they (NT) were completely oblivious to what character development was and how you do this through character actions in the narrative.

Here it is:

Alex Garland posted:

"I guess if I were to make a criticism it would relate to character and consistency. Making sure characters are true to themselves, and true to some kind of larger truth, which relates to the recipients of the narrative. That is to say, the player. Us.

For example, I think the first serious discussion we had about the narrative was on the very first day that I, Tameem and the level designers all sat down together.

We got to a section where Monkey was walking down a walkway, and he sees an escaping slave trying to pull himself up to the walkway. And instead of helping the guy up, Monkey kicked him in the face and sent him to his death. They thought that projected the idea that Monkey was a badass. Whereas, to me, it projected the idea that Monkey was a bit of a oval office."

And here's Pratchett's interview, where she had to rewrite the thing after NT's first draft.

That Alex Garland quote explains so much about their thought process and why the DmC story is as it is. The Pratchett one is more an insight into how they work.

This is going to be a glorious trainwreck. :unsmigghh:

1 Month Remaining

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Chucat posted:

I'll explain this better using as few words as possible.

Space Harrier : Jeanne Bossfight :: Laughable plot : Poor gameplay

Quite simply this game is like some sick combination of MGS2's plot trolling everyone with the gameplay of Master Quest, also trolling everyone.

But I liked both of those. This game isn't designed to mess with your expectations, its just some guys who think they know how to write a though-provoking story and design a game better than the original team.

• Locked thread