Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

slowbeef posted:

One for orenronen and Fedule:

In Japanese, does Usami come across... annoying?

This baby talk thing is getting on my nerves a little, and I'm starting to dislike the character. If it's not intentional, maybe it could be dialed back? Like these two lines:

"Aww, did I startle you? I'm vewy sowwy."

"Tee-hee... I'm not ashamed of apowogies. They're vewy impawtant!"

As you said in the previous editorial anecdote, you're not doing it everywhere (see: startle), so can't it just be "very sowwy" or "vewy sorry"? Or one of the 3 times you did it in the second sentence?

It could just be me, and you're both doing good with the work all in all, but I feel like you're laying it on a little thick with Usami.

I'm super annoyed by Usamis speech pattern too. I hope Monobear comes out of nowhere at some point and kills/destroys her.

So far I have to say the music seems to be even better than the first games soundtrack.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I'm sorry, Fedule; I had to check.

Anyway, as Fedule so kindly pointed out, there was a Princess Momochi doll in the Pets menu. You may recognize as that character Ultragoon made creepy, adult doujin about.

Edit: I, too, wouldn't mind if you toned down the wabbit.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

slowbeef posted:

As you said in the previous editorial anecdote, you're not doing it everywhere (see: startle), so can't it just be "very sowwy" or "vewy sorry"?

I think the difficulty with this specific case is that the 'r' sounds in 'very' and 'sorry' are identical. If Usami used a 'w' for one and not the other, I think she'd come across as insincere or mocking (because it would be apparent that she can in fact pronounce the sound correctly, and therefore that she's putting on the baby voice). Of course, if Usami is supposed to come across as a bit insincere, that would be absolutely fine.

'Impawtant' could definitely be 'important', though, no matter how Usami is supposed to come across; the two spellings sound identical, so there's no real reason for the 'w'.

Rith fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 14, 2012

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
yospos bithc

ANIME MONSTROSITY fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 23, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

^^ Arriving at a similar theory while I'm typing mine out :argh:

I think that this game is a prequel that takes place sometime during the year before the events of DR1. The most despair inducing incident has happened. The students agreed to be sent to a remote island, away from a world that is devouring itself, so as to foster hope, just like how the students of the first game agreed to be locked away inside of the academy. Junko controls monorabbit and came up with all of the rules for what will surely be a game requiring murder. Something will go wrong by the end, and some students will escape or somehow disable the system that Junko uses to manipulate the island, control monorabbit, etc. Basically this is Despair Games 1.0, and DR1 was Despair Games 2.0.

We're not looking at descendents of the original cast, that makes no sense without an entire lifetime of memory fuckery. I guess that's possible, just not very likely.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Fedule posted:

Her habit in Japanese affects pretty much every line she has... but only at the end. So it's not inconceivable that I might have been overdoing it. The question is this: Is Usami speaking like that deliberately? Because if she is, then I've got leave to have her only do the "w" thing on words she's emphasizing. So, in your case, she could correctly pronounce "very" before "sowwy", but still maintain her "fwuffy bunny wabbit" line from earlier, because she's deliberately varying her speech.

The early DR1 updates changed a lot as the characters came more into focus: I'm not averse to doing the same here.

I also feel like Usami's dialog is a bit thick with the mechanism, but I can see how a tic like that would be difficult to translate into a low-context language like English. Is there a way to do it without altering the phonemes she expresses?

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Judging from what Nagito said about there being a SHSL Good Luck every year, and assuming that information is reliable and this isn't just a massive 20 year timeskip, I think these guys could be from one of the grades above Naegi and co's, confined as a separate nest egg in case the locking-up-the-school thing failed. Everything else about Nagito is there both probably as a massive red herring and as a way of drawing parallels between our SHSL Good Lucks (The school might have even jumped on the fact that their SHSL Good Luck were both hoodie-wearing lads with bland speech patterns as some kind of correlation.)

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Hajime seems to be hitting the same sort of blocks that Neku hit in TWEWY. Memory issues, total standoffish attitude. Is it even possible that his development goes another way as the main character?

And is it possible that they take a drastic step and have him get killed off at some point, replaced by another student as the main character? Perhaps (and just a wild guess) one of the ones who has done this before?

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
I don't find Usami to be that bad. It's very readable to me, and gives her an annoyingly cutesy voice, which seems to fit her personality.

But now it's time for absurd speculation.

There's clearly some memory shenanigans going on with Hinata that parallels Kirigiri. Hinata was pretty evasive in the beginning as to why he's showing up at Hope's Peak Academy other than he has always admired it. People have already speculated that Hinata didn't get in through the normal means. Armed with the knowledge that DR2 seems to be playing with our expectations, I'm going to guess that Hinata may be a new teacher at Hope's Peak. It explains why he doesn't seem to have any real goal for attending Hope's Peak, because teaching there is his goal. I think the whole button down shirt and tie fits that image.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I'm going to put myself on record as saying that Nagito has to have some personal connection to Naegi at this point. He's either Naegi himself, or he's related to Naegi, or he's someone that's working for Naegi. There's too many strange connections to Naegi, which suggests that he's either Naegi (height and birthday makes that strange, even before the hair), that lightning really did strike twice with two people so similar (mathematically unlikely, but SHSL Luck), or he's lying. The thread DID discuss the possibility of Hinata sneaking in, after all -- what's to say someone else didn't do the same? It's also the most interesting possibility, because it suggests that he's purposefully invoking Naegi's story. The question would be why and what that says about the current situation -- after all, if there's a new Hope's Peak after DR, then why would SHSL Hope need to infiltrate what has to be one of their own strongholds?

(Though, that said, if SHSL Hope is an organization now, then they'd almost certainly be working with any new Hope's Peak. It strikes me that the SHSL Good Luck lottery would be a good way for SHSL Hope to quietly insert any candidates for a new SHSL Hope into the school without drawing attention or making a fuss.)

I like the idea that the followers of SHSL Hope, in their attempts to combat SHSL Despair, are building SHSL Hope up as an even more special figure. The idea that they're sending out people as similar to Naegi as they can find, in the hopes of making him and Hope seem almost omnipresent, is simultaneously kind of creepy and really awesome. It would do a lot to make him seem larger than life, that's for sure. And it'd make his "don't tell me we have to kill each other?" line really, really funny. Poor boy's in over his head!

I think it's unlikely that he's some kind of SHSL Hope Fanboy. If he knows enough about SHSL Hope and despair to recite Naegi's story, would he really stick to that story when he's in the middle of what might be some SHSL Despair plot? That would require a hell of a lot of balls, which makes much more sense for SHSL Hope Agent than SHSL Hope Fanboy.

That said, the people saying Nagito can't be Naegi because of the "Ah, I'm sorry... I can't help having some negative feelings. It's a bad habit of mine." line are forgetting something. Naegi's pretty self-effacing, and if this is after DR1, then he's now known as SHSL Hope, the strongest opponent of SHSL Despair. It doesn't mean just that he's hopeful, it means that he is supposed to be one of the human epitomes of hopefulness. When you think Hope, you're supposed to think Naegi. Doubt is normal, but SHSL Hope isn't supposed to be normal, and in light of that, occasional negative feelings are actually a pretty big flaw in his new SHSL trait. That'd also be a especially bad flaw for anyone working for SHSL Hope or trying to become another one. When you despair, even for a moment and even a little, then you're letting the enemy in.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Fedule posted:

we also have the word "paw" which contains the same "or" sound as the "por" in "important".

Here we hit what I feel is the biggest problem in using this sort of phonetic writing to represent a speech mannerism or impediment - "paw" and the "por" in important have a very different vowel sound when I say them. I could see them being the same in, say, British English, but I can't be the only one who finds "impawtant" really distracting for that reason, can I?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

HMS Boromir posted:

Here we hit what I feel is the biggest problem in using this sort of phonetic writing to represent a speech mannerism or impediment - "paw" and the "por" in important have a very different vowel sound when I say them. I could see them being the same in, say, British English, but I can't be the only one who finds "impawtant" really distracting for that reason, can I?

Some guy once said some things about plans and contact with the enemy that're very applicable here. Not that I consider you all the enemy.

Between that and what Rith said above I'm inclined to put this on "the list".

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Einander posted:

I'm going to put myself on record as saying that Nagito has to have some personal connection to Naegi at this point. He's either Naegi himself, or he's related to Naegi, or he's someone that's working for Naegi. There's too many strange connections to Naegi, which suggests that he's either Naegi (height and birthday makes that strange, even before the hair), that lightning really did strike twice with two people so similar (mathematically unlikely, but SHSL Luck), or he's lying. The thread DID discuss the possibility of Hinata sneaking in, after all -- what's to say someone else didn't do the same? It's also the most interesting possibility, because it suggests that he's purposefully invoking Naegi's story. The question would be why and what that says about the current situation -- after all, if there's a new Hope's Peak after DR, then why would SHSL Hope need to infiltrate what has to be one of their own strongholds?

(Though, that said, if SHSL Hope is an organization now, then they'd almost certainly be working with any new Hope's Peak. It strikes me that the SHSL Good Luck lottery would be a good way for SHSL Hope to quietly insert any candidates for a new SHSL Hope into the school without drawing attention or making a fuss.)

I like the idea that the followers of SHSL Hope, in their attempts to combat SHSL Despair, are building SHSL Hope up as an even more special figure. The idea that they're sending out people as similar to Naegi as they can find, in the hopes of making him and Hope seem almost omnipresent, is simultaneously kind of creepy and really awesome. It would do a lot to make him seem larger than life, that's for sure. And it'd make his "don't tell me we have to kill each other?" line really, really funny. Poor boy's in over his head!

I think it's unlikely that he's some kind of SHSL Hope Fanboy. If he knows enough about SHSL Hope and despair to recite Naegi's story, would he really stick to that story when he's in the middle of what might be some SHSL Despair plot? That would require a hell of a lot of balls, which makes much more sense for SHSL Hope Agent than SHSL Hope Fanboy.

That said, the people saying Nagito can't be Naegi because of the "Ah, I'm sorry... I can't help having some negative feelings. It's a bad habit of mine." line are forgetting something. Naegi's pretty self-effacing, and if this is after DR1, then he's now known as SHSL Hope, the strongest opponent of SHSL Despair. It doesn't mean just that he's hopeful, it means that he is supposed to be one of the human epitomes of hopefulness. When you think Hope, you're supposed to think Naegi. Doubt is normal, but SHSL Hope isn't supposed to be normal, and in light of that, occasional negative feelings are actually a pretty big flaw in his new SHSL trait. That'd also be a especially bad flaw for anyone working for SHSL Hope or trying to become another one. When you despair, even for a moment and even a little, then you're letting the enemy in.

Or the developers are just loving with you. A ruined world isn't going to be producing any more SHSL people like what we've seen here.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 14, 2012

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

QuarkJets posted:

Or the developers are just loving with you

Yes, but that's boring. I prefer to assume hints are hints instead of mischievous devs.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Personally, it seems to me like Usami's supposed to be a little annoying. You're not supposed to actually find her manner of speech endearing or cute, you're supposed to find it annoying and a little off-putting in context of the situation.

That said, I'm not actually all that bothered by it for the most part and will be fine with it either way. Just my opinion on the character, she's supposed to irritate you a little bit.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Einander posted:

Yes, but that's boring. I prefer to assume hints are hints instead of mischievous devs.

That's the construction of expectations that they can then gently caress with. I prefer to assume this is all intentional, expecting that the player has some experience with DR1, so that they can then expect what you will expect to some degree that they may then gently caress with you.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
I'd be so happy if this was the entire game. Collect hope shards. Mild despair is caused by events such as refusing to take part in the hourly group hug session, but we're all best friends so this is quickly vanquished by more hope shards.

Please.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Since the first game was all about subverting tons of cliches in these kinds of games, I'm wondering if this sequels going to try and reintroduce them or innovate them in some way.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Here are my thoughts on Usami.

She's supposed to be annoying in the same way that any cute animal mascot made for children is, because that's exactly how she speaks and acts. Everything she says and does is as if she's been taken from an educational TV show for 5 year olds (and not a relatively cool one like Sesame Street). That's the kind of feeling Dangan Ronpa is trying to pass here.

The problem is that in Japan, a verbal tic is standard for this kind of a mascot. That's just how they are written. I feel that in the west they're most likely to give such mascots an extreme cartoony voice rather than any peculiar syntactic style. It's very difficult to translate, as you might expect, and luckily we're still at an early stage where retroactive tweaks are possible.

We'll put some more thought into it. Perhaps throw a little reedited scene at you for opinions.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Fedule posted:

Some guy once said some things about plans and contact with the enemy that're very applicable here. Not that I consider you all the enemy.

Between that and what Rith said above I'm inclined to put this on "the list".

If you're collecting opinions, I have never heard any way someone could pronounce "important" such that the "por" would carry the same, or indeed a similar vowel sound as in "paw." I mean, yes, in British English the R is not spoken, but the vowel sound is still affected by the presence of the r (That's why it doesn't sound like a weirdly stressed impotent), and even discounting that it's still much, much closer to "poe" than to "paw." There's no way I can call that substitution reasonable.

I don't mind the speech impediment's existence, that doesn't bug me, but what it produces should at least make sense.

Adelheid fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 14, 2012

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Powerfrog posted:

I'd be so happy if this was the entire game. Collect hope shards. Mild despair is caused by events such as refusing to take part in the hourly group hug session, but we're all best friends so this is quickly vanquished by more hope shards.

Please.

Someone refuses to eat their vegetables, "Oh no, a despair shard! Quick, destroy it with the power of friendship!"

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

Adelheid posted:

pronounce "important" such that the "por" would carry the same, or indeed a similar vowel sound as in "paw."

From my standpoint, I sometimes do that. It kind of comes with a 'boston' accent. The accent makes 'ar' and 'or' sounds more like 'Ah' or 'aw' when your in a rush. At least from me.

I'm a little bit annoyed at her way of speech, but in a 'this is way to annoyingly cutesy for me shut up' way.'

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It may have to do with the fact that English is not my mother tongue, but I really had to read the following line multiple times before I understand what the hell she was supposed to be saying: "and make your Hope fwower fuwwy bwoom..."

I was really wondering what furry brooms have to do with anything. Too many w's.

Other than that I like the translation so far.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.

orenronen posted:

Here are my thoughts on Usami.

She's supposed to be annoying in the same way that any cute animal mascot made for children is, because that's exactly how she speaks and acts. Everything she says and does is as if she's been taken from an educational TV show for 5 year olds (and not a relatively cool one like Sesame Street). That's the kind of feeling Dangan Ronpa is trying to pass here.

The problem is that in Japan, a verbal tic is standard for this kind of a mascot. That's just how they are written. I feel that in the west they're most likely to give such mascots an extreme cartoony voice rather than any peculiar syntactic style. It's very difficult to translate, as you might expect, and luckily we're still at an early stage where retroactive tweaks are possible.

We'll put some more thought into it. Perhaps throw a little reedited scene at you for opinions.

That's easy enough, tons of "boys and girls", addressing the audience, hell Dora The Explorer her up.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Operation Tone-Down-Usami's-Speech-While-Maintaining-Character-And-Consistency is beginning the R&D phase. We present our current prototype. We request feedback.

quote:

Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson

It's an Ewectwonic Student Handbook!
...Uwah!!
H...Hey, how... Where the hell did you come from?!

Aww, did I startle you? I'm so sowwy.

Tee-hee... I'm not ashamed of apologies. They're vewy important!

...By the way, isn't that thing so cool? Isn’t it?
It's a cwucial part of this field twip, so pweeease don't lose it!
...This device is... important?

My task for everyone is to use this Ewectwonic Student Handbook and gather "Hope Shards"!

...Hope Shards?

You see, when you deepen your bonds with your classmates on this island, you acquire "Hope Shards".
The more you get along with everyone, the more "Hope Shards" you gather.
I want you to gather as many "Hope Shards" as you can, and bring your Hope flower into bwoom...
That’s the goal of this field twip!

Wuv! Wuv!!

The idea here is that rather than a speech impediment as such, Usami speaks like this on purpose, and as such can turn it off and on in accordance with... whatever her priorities are. Key Phrases, like Ewectwonic Student Handbook, and (I guess) "field twip", get the tweatment. Also, if she's emphasizing a word - like with "bwoom" up there*, it gets the tweatment. Otherwise, she's quite capable of speaking normally.

*I also altered the phrasing of this line to make the intended word "bloom" more obvious in context

(Since focal words are likely to come towards the end of sentences, this would also make her character a tiny bit more ~true to the spirit of the original work~.

Basically, when it gets laid on thick, it's because she's laying it on thick herself. So, even if she retroactively gains the ability to speak with perfect clarity, she's still going to throw out her "vewy wuvly animal with fwuffy fwuffy fur!" line and her "wuv! wuv!" routine.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

orenronen posted:

For what it's worth, I think you're nailing the intended vibe perfectly. The character is supposed to be overly saccharine, and the "paw" thing in the middle of its dialogue was cute. Every localization has its fair share of arbitrary criticisms of whatever stands out, not to mention suggestions that wouldn't actually improve the final product. I think you can lump the complaints about "Too many Ws" into this category.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Hokuto posted:

For what it's worth, I think you're nailing the intended vibe perfectly. The character is supposed to be overly saccharine, and the "paw" thing in the middle of its dialogue was cute. Every localization has its fair share of arbitrary criticisms of whatever stands out, not to mention suggestions that wouldn't actually improve the final product. I think you can lump the complaints about "Too many Ws" into this category.

Oh, believe me, I have seen arbitrary criticisms of this translation.

You are not they.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I like that change, Fedule, though honestly I'm suddenly missing her dropping into that every line. :v:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Fedule, I like the revised speech pattern a bit better. It's easier to read, and it really does give a "she's talking like this because she thinks it's cute" vibe that I like better.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

Operation Tone-Down-Usami's-Speech-While-Maintaining-Character-And-Consistency is beginning the R&D phase. We present our current prototype. We request feedback.

I like this. Combining this with a light "boys and girls" might work even better, but I'm unsure.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Fedule posted:

I *really* prefer this. Gets it across without beating you over the head.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Actually, I say go all or nothing. Whole hog.

The Something Awful Forums > Games > Let's Play! > A peaceful twopical vacation with Super Dangan Ronpa 2

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I'm much happier with the revised speech pattern just because it removed the horrible atrocity that was "fwower".

On the whole, it's a lot easier to read now.

wuthering
Oct 31, 2012

Adelheid posted:

If you're collecting opinions, I have never heard any way someone could pronounce "important" such that the "por" would carry the same, or indeed a similar vowel sound as in "paw." I mean, yes, in British English the R is not spoken, but the vowel sound is still affected by the presence of the r (That's why it doesn't sound like a weirdly stressed impotent), and even discounting that it's still much, much closer to "poe" than to "paw." There's no way I can call that substitution reasonable.

I'm from the South of England, and I would say my pronunciation of the "por" sound is almost identical to the vowel sounds in "paw". Whether or not the pun is needed is a different matter, but it definitely makes sense to me.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

flatluigi posted:

I like that change, Fedule, though honestly I'm suddenly missing her dropping into that every line. :v:

I kinda think it's a little too light on the cutesy, but if everyone likes it then I'm not going to throw any kind of fit.

I get the feeling that since they're trying to keep in the verbal tic it plays some kind of role in something later on. Probably with her dropping it for a scary-serious voice at some point, which would mean that making the change more obviously conscious could ruin that a little.

windylion
Oct 9, 2012
Nagito looks like Naegi after a few years in a post-apocalyptic world and some of Hagakure's drugs. His peppiness is kind of freaking me out. So far it looks like he's either gonna be your sidekick for the game, like Naegi was to Kirigiri, or he's going to die right off the bat like Maizono.

Either way there's a good chance he'll be the heroine again.

I'm liking that Hajime isn't (immediately) falling into the boring, emotionless male protag that a lot VNs have trouble with. Something about this also makes me think maybe he sneaked into Hope's Peak. He did seem really intense about getting in but he can't remember what his talent it. It's pretty fishy, I think.

eta: I'm liking the toned down version of Usami's speech pattern. It still has the cutesy lisp part too it, but it's more realistic of a lisp and keeps the "tee hee I'm so cute love me" aspect without beating you in the face with it.

windylion fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 14, 2012

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 18, 2014

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Maybe instead of saying "Super High School Level," Usami can say "Super Duper." :downs:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I have to wonder, though. If you're deliberately mangling a word, as I think we're all in agreement that Usami is doing, does it matter if the vowel in the syllables por and paw are the same or not? Regardless of how you pronounce the components, it's recognizably the word 'important'. It's a stretch no matter what, but it seems like it's supposed to be a slightly ridiculous stretch.

It's a lot less about how you would pronounce it and a lot more how, say, a character like Elmo would pronounce it. Assuming Elmo added puns about paws which he doesn't because he's not a bunny.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Saionji looks pretty young to be in a highschool class, either she's shrimpy for her age or she's has some great SHSL skill that got her accepted early, does Hope Academy even have an age requirement?

• Locked thread