Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikoLovesYou
Nov 20, 2003

I came here tonight with my...self. Oh God.

MorsAnima posted:

There is an exploit. Get camo, jump but don't let go of spacebar. Bingo, fullspeed movement, invisible and silent. Two upgrades in one and you don't lose the camo. THAT'S why it's so good right now.

Did they still not hotfix this in the last patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

My favorite thing with camo is being invis while evolving to something else. It keeps you from having a stray marine run up and shoot you, and allows you to flank into a vent or the back of a base as a skulk, evolve to gorge, and melt some structures. If their comm isn't aware of what you're doing, you can often get to a spot to recloak and hide. Then you can move to another spot, or wait for the marines to come rebuild it all and then phase away.

You can kill a sentry nest in like 7 shots, and be running for a hidey-hole well before anyone can get there, which is 25 resources. 2 gorges knocks power down really fast, or if your comm is amazing and gets you a drifter then you can really tear a base down fast. When exos come out is when I've found the best time for stuff like this, they start doing a push and you just grab a buddy and go melt one of their other spots.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MikoLovesYou posted:

Did they still not hotfix this in the last patch?

No they never fixed it.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Addict posted:

Skulk is cool, but don't sit on a huge amount of res late game. Your team needs you to be a higher life form to counter armor/wep 3, which as a skulk you are pretty hosed.

That said, don't be afraid to take some of that res and try out a new life form. I fell in love with the lerk this way. One person being bad usually won't screw up your team.

I'm not great at fade and I'm a terrible lerk, so it's skulk, gorge, or Onos.

One suggestion, if you really don't like fade and lerk, go gorge early and get hydras and clogs up and die. If you're not using that res for anything else, a little static D can help the guy who is gorging for real. I know that one veil game I helped block the poo poo out of nano and left a ton of hydras for the gorge to sit there and heal and we never lost it.

If you're not using the res for anything else, hydras are a pretty decent investment, just ask the main gorge where he wants them. And then, when you are skulking and you get to 75 resources tell your comm you're ready to go Onos and wait until there are enough dudes with the res for you to pop three of them at once.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Healspraying up the 2nd hive is always a good use of 10 res as well (plus you can put your static def there to help out a bit)

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Gorges really need extra stuff to do, more buildings to build etc. Maybe the ability to re-position buildings. Like if your base is falling the gorges can pick up and carry out the upgrades.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
People are down on camo because they are talking about a nonbroken camo.

And nonbroken camo is gimmicky and bad.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

Yeah, was playing last night (Sadly not on NSgoons or Knife the hippo.. where are you folks?) very drunk. Alien comm kept going shade first or some silliness. It was only when I drunkenly explained (Via a terrible austrian accent) how to use the broken camo that we started winning games.

And honestly? That's no way to win a game. :(

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I was in that server.

Your accent is not Governator enough.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

I was in that server.

Your accent is not Governator enough.

I wasn't going for Governator, though. Just some evil austrian scientist. .. Or something. It's tough to remember.

Some great games though.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Oh yeah, thinking back, aliens started winning when all-in colt left.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Torpor posted:

Gorges really need extra stuff to do, more buildings to build etc. Maybe the ability to re-position buildings. Like if your base is falling the gorges can pick up and carry out the upgrades.

I can't bring myself to beleive this anymore. I spend probably more time as a Gorge than even as a Skulks and I've always got things to do. I fortify critical areas, I build up extra hives, I support attacks with healing, I do bilebomb suicide runs on marine outposts, I defend forward healing outposts, I follow Onosses around the map. It seems like there's always something useful to do.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Last I heard, they were thinking of giving Gorges the ability to make "slow teleport" tunnels with a limited range. Kind of like adding a new vent system for making switchbacks take less time to run around. I don't know how accurate that is nowadays.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I'm trying to imagine how this would look visually and I can't think of a method that doesn't look kinda stupid.

How about a Road Runner style vent, obviously painted against a solid wall yet miraculously allowing aliens to enter?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I'm guessing two big puckered sphincters that have to be placed on/near the infestation. An alien runs up, uses, watches some some sort of green infestation tube animation, and then pops out the other end.

:edit: They could bring back the old Onos devour sprite!

Just need to make it loop so you travel endlessly down an alien colon and play it while you're traveling. Maybe make it green.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 15, 2012

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

This has been going on since NS1. I don't think it has anything to do with current camo balance; many players will never think cloaking's useful.

Lammy!
Jul 3, 2004

WHAT TIME IS IT!?

Dominoes posted:

This has been going on since NS1. I don't think it has anything to do with current camo balance; many players will never think cloaking's useful.

Note the big red text.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yea, someone was butthurt they got called on their bs.

Anyway, are you agreeing with me? My point was that camo is not good (or as good as shift or crag) and it wasnt in na1 either.

Camo is made obsolete by good play and normally, a cloaked skulk is only barely faster than a marine.

Shade (first) does not provide the overall utility that a shift or crag (first) does.

The only reason that it is any good now is, as previously mentioned, that it is 2 traits without the drawback due to the exploit. When it gets fixed, shift first will be standard again for pub play.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

totalnewbie posted:

Yea, someone was butthurt they got called on their bs.

Anyway, are you agreeing with me? My point was that camo is not good (or as good as shift or crag) and it wasnt in na1 either.

Camo is made obsolete by good play and normally, a cloaked skulk is only barely faster than a marine.

Shade (first) does not provide the overall utility that a shift or crag (first) does.

The only reason that it is any good now is, as previously mentioned, that it is 2 traits without the drawback due to the exploit. When it gets fixed, shift first will be standard again for pub play.

Actually, there was a petty good period of time in ns1 where sensory was the primary choice for first upgrade path.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
For focus, not cloak.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Camo is really nice early game because of the 1st strike advantage for bite and parasite. Marines only take 3 bites to kill, so being able to get two off when they are busy building / knifing is a huge advantage for skilled and new players. It is useless near obs, but if you stay away from those areas you should be able to dominate the map pretty easily until the 2nd hive / arms lab kicks in. 2nd hive should always be crag to deal with upgraded weapons, meaning you can't get adren/celerity until the end game. Once marines start taking 5+ bites to kill, the first 2 matter less. Veils are cheaper than spurs/shells iirc.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Uh, sure camo is alright in the very early game but when you're battling to settle a third hive against upgraded marines you'll sure wish you had shifts instead of now useless shades.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Suspicious posted:

Uh, sure camo is alright in the very early game but when you're battling to settle a third hive against upgraded marines you'll sure wish you had shifts instead of now useless shades.

Silence never becomes useless even though it's nowhere near as good as celerity. Though there's always that one rear end in a top hat in a group of aliens who doesn't take it, which ruins it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Suspicious posted:

Shouldn't that be a risk/reward thing though? You banked on taking them out early using camo - shouldn't you HAVE to fight harder for that third hive if your initial plan failed and you didn't take them out in time?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Actually, there was a petty good period of time in ns1 where sensory was the primary choice for first upgrade path.

The NS1 sensory chambers also offered hive sight against marines the same way an observatory does against aliens now, instead of the commander now having very faint cloudy figures when they run on infestation or having to guess or listen for stuff moving around in the overview. Perhaps this should be an upgrade for mature shades? Right now it seems like every alien structure requires micro to be used in any meaningful way beyond their default purpose - they aren't placed in the same way as marine structures (that is, individually, in most cases) and so an alien comm will almost in every case click through each crag for example to use heal wave, and with the cost and organisation of using the advanced shift ability you may as well just build another crag/shift/whatever nest. Whips have bombard, at least.

(Less related): In conjunction with that, NS1 parasite could also not be removed by an armoury and stayed with the marine until death. There was a perfectly reasonable 'parasited' indicator on the hud instead of the very subtle yellow shader used now. Considering the average lifespan of most marines, and the whole idea of parasites being a recon tool, they really should stick with a marine for the whole life, since it encourages the use of the parasite as well as giving rise to further options for marines e.g an armoury/adv armoury upgrade which removes them automatically.

e: well this got a bit ranty, but basically alien buildings could be better.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Shouldn't that be a risk/reward thing though? You banked on taking them out early using camo - shouldn't you HAVE to fight harder for that third hive if your initial plan failed and you didn't take them out in time?

Because you probably won't win the game early because you got camo, its a very bad risk to take. Like I said earlier, if you can win early with camo, you probably didn't need it anyway. It's kind of a cheese, and not that useful outside of the first five minutes because marines are usually established. Cloak doesn't often help on assaulting things, the others do.

Also holy poo poo that long rear end cave game on knife the hippo, that flipped sides so many times. My brain fried while commanding that. Very shocked we won. A cloaked onos is actually what threw the wrench in their side, so cloak can be really awesome later in the game.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 15, 2012

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Addict posted:

Because you probably won't win the game early because you got camo, its a very bad risk to take. Like I said earlier, if you can win early with camo, you probably didn't need it anyway. It's kind of a cheese.

Also holy poo poo that long rear end cave game on knife the hippo, that flipped sides so many times. My brain fried while commanding that. Very shocked we won. A cloaked onos is actually what threw the wrench in their side, so cloak can be really awesome later in the game.

It was me. I was that Onos.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Addict posted:

Insane that we won that game, I thought our early deficit had totally screwed us. It was easily the most touch and go round I ever played. Main reason I think they lost was that they had map control but failed to exploit the possible res income by building and protecting their nozzles. Instead they opted to just push like hell. I was in central as a gorge for like 7 minutes straight and only saw two marines (I killed one solo with my gorge spit and made the other run away :smug:). We had shitloads of res at the end.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Map control and fast reinforcements is a huge part of the early game and shift/celerity is what really pushes the alien advantage on that front from "better" to "ridiculous".

Yeah, camo lets you kill marines easier but it slows you down, making it more difficult to chase marines, and also slows down you reinforcements and lets the marines push tech points with impunity because the com just has to keep scanning until obs is up bad bam, an upgrade completely obsoleted.

Again, it isn't that camo is absolutely bad; rather, it is that camo just is not as good as shift or crag.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Has anyone seen any good early-game use of Hallucinations? If not, maybe we can try to come up with a valid strategy. It seems to me that they're marginally useful in the end game and not at all at the start, but I'd like to explore this space and see if anything clever arises.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

My point was that camo is not good (or as good as shift or crag) and it wasnt in na1 either.

I feel like camo wasn't good in ns1 because there were plenty of good spots to hide in the dark. It feels like, in ns2, most levels are super bright until marines build a power node which you can then destroy to shut off the lights. I hate how lights are on by default even though the power node isn't built.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

When do y'all play on the goon servers? Feels like they're always empty.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Just played the best/dumbest match ever. Aliens with 3 hives on Veil, 2 Onosses stomping around, us with barely any RTs. A sneaky pg at The Neck leads us to take down Pipeline at the cost of everything else we had on the map. With nothing to lose we buy shotties and run all the way from Control through Y Junction right into Cargo and build a quick phase and shotgun Cargo hive to death. Then we run to sub and shotgun that to death while all our shotties die to the Onosses. The respawning marines then phase to Cargo and run to Pipeline which had just been re-dropped, and machine gun it to death.

It's like at some point we realised strategy was a handicap so we just ran around in a hive-killing gang while the aliens struggled to comprehend what was happening.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dominoes posted:

When do y'all play on the goon servers? Feels like they're always empty.

Around 6-12PST I would say, at least for NS2Goons. I just check the online server list kick thing from time to time.

BlackJoo
Sep 26, 2011

That's not a dagger, it's called a syringe!

Krenzo posted:

I feel like camo wasn't good in ns1 because there were plenty of good spots to hide in the dark. It feels like, in ns2, most levels are super bright until marines build a power node which you can then destroy to shut off the lights. I hate how lights are on by default even though the power node isn't built.

Can't remember off the top of my head, but isn't there a dimmer "emergency" light when there's no power node?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

BlackJoo posted:

Can't remember off the top of my head, but isn't there a dimmer "emergency" light when there's no power node?
Only when the node has been destroyed. The way it works is rooms start with full lights, then the marines build the power node, then if aliens kill the node, it cuts the lights for like 15 seconds then switches to emergency lights until the node is repaired. If marines never build a node in a room the aliens can never cut the power and turn the lights off.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

AgentF posted:

Has anyone seen any good early-game use of Hallucinations? If not, maybe we can try to come up with a valid strategy. It seems to me that they're marginally useful in the end game and not at all at the start, but I'd like to explore this space and see if anything clever arises.

The only way I could see them being of any use is to try to get the commander to beacon. Unless the commander has the itchiest beacon finger the second some one shoots them they realize that they are hallucinations. Also you can kind of tell that skulks are running in a uniform straight line, not like real skulks at all. So other than creating some temporary confusion, not really.

You could also have some fake skulks run ahead in front of marines to make them think there are a ton in an area, and they should hold back, but I don't think marines think that way. They would probably try to chase them down.

Also, aren't they kind of expensive? I never use them when res matters but they are probably a waste of res early game. It's nothing I would trade for actual buffs anyway.

Now, if the game had AI, and the aliens were capable of running around and fake attacking marines by themselves, then we would be cooking with gas.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 15, 2012

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
r/ns2 is hosting a tourney that started somewhat recently. I just caught the last few moments of Inversion playing and I think All-In and Nexzil are around too, so should be some good games. https://www.ns2hub.com has some more info and such.

Streams:
http://ns2hub.com/streams/blindns2/
http://ns2hub.com/streams/vindalo0/
http://ns2hub.com/streams/susantd/

PS: Good luck Garfu!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

What are some good non-goon servers to play on? The goon servers are always empty when I want to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dominoes posted:

What are some good non-goon servers to play on? The goon servers are always empty when I want to play.

Scarytown can be decent (it's run by penny arcade dudes).

It gets passworded when it's full though, they set it to 'wang'.

It's usually empty when NSGoons is though. :doh:

• Locked thread