Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Hydrogen would start making sense if we had local production using artificial leaves. Use solar energy to electrolyze water, use the hydrogen in fuel cells. 5l of water would provide enough H2 to run your house for the day, another 3l for the car, according to Dan Nocera at MIT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

The most common car in the US(Honda Civic) and lots of trucks can be bought from the factory equipped for natural gas in the US. Most US households have ready access to gas lines.

I'm mostly staying out of this because I don't care. But this statement is like saying that most houses have electricity and water so they can easily create a hydrogen supply for a vehicle.

You need to understand that natural gas coming into your house at 20 PSI pre-regulator is a really expensive amount of equipment away from packing it back into portable tanks to use in your car.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

drgitlin posted:

Hydrogen would start making sense if we had local production using artificial leaves. Use solar energy to electrolyze water, use the hydrogen in fuel cells. 5l of water would provide enough H2 to run your house for the day, another 3l for the car, according to Dan Nocera at MIT.

Yeah, but doing this will burn more electricity than using the electricity to power your house.

It takes more KWH of solar power to generate hydrogen to run your house for the day than just running your house for the day on straight solar power. And until someone invents an over-unity power source (i.e. never) it will always be so.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

grover posted:

With an impact wrench, of course!

There's a wheeled jack under the car that lifts the wheel off the ground; let them set world records for non-stop endurance driving from California to NYC and back to California without ever stopping, and then later Alaska to Mexico City, without stopping. One guy would shimmy out on a retractable running board, while another climbs on the hood and sets up the plywood platform on the wheel that needs changing. The guy on the hood then climbs down to the plywood and changes the tire just like you normally would, only the car is still moving at 25mph. They refueled in a similar fashion. Safety was apparently not much of a concern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT8azxnVAC4&t=390s

That 70 year old guy changed a tire on a moving car on a platform that is 2 feet wide faster than I can in my garage. Oh the shame. :sigh:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Powershift posted:

You are right. Gasoline is as volatile as hydrogen. What was I thinking.

Hydrogen is a dumb choice for dumb people. You still need new production facilities, a new supply chain. Large amounts of storage for it within residential neighborhoods. Idiots will still smoke while refueling and Blow themselves up, and you will have to refuel twice as often.

Battery tech is progressing and electric and extended range hybrids are the right answer. Then you don't need an electricity truck delivering explosive electricity into large tanks under the local electricity station in the middle of the suburbs. Transmission lines would need to be upgraded for it to become a large scale reality but that isn't an unreasonable investment and will never go to waste.

What exactly do you propose we use to produce all this extra electricity?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Sadi posted:

Right, hydrogen has its issues, but at least its mostly renewable. Manufacture of hydrogen with next gen nuclear plants is above 50% efficiency. They use waist heat from the reactor to speed the reaction involved in braking down hydrogen from water. Our supplies of nuclear fuels are magnitudes higher than CNG. My schools has several fuel cell power projects going on. There are issues to over come, but the vast amount of research going into it tell me that It wont be that much longer until its viable. Most people would have said solar power was pointless years ago because of the efficiency of the panels but these days they are pretty good. Technology moves fast.

Solar power sucks everywhere because there's simply not much power density in solar.

Hydrogen is a pretty lovely storage medium. You have to use up some other energy just to manufacture it, it is hard to contain inside typical gas tanks, slips past seals with amazing ease, and makes most tanks brittle. It is a nastier beast than any other fuel on the table. Using excess solar or nuclear to make hydrocarbon fuel will take precedence over hydrogen, not just because it will retrofit to existing vehicles easier, but because it is safer and more dense.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Linedance posted:

sure, the closer you get to work, the longer it takes, but goddamn do you get home quick!

Personally I can't wait for friction powered cars, but the hard part is convincing my coworkers to slide my car across the parking lot fast enough to build up enough potential energy to get home.

Besides, they'll just end up putting a quarter on my rear bumper so I pull wheelies.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We have an electric car discussion thread somewhere, most of this has been covered in a slightly more grown up manner :haw: If I remember the kit to turn house gas into cng is a couple of thousand dollars? I wish you could get it in the UK.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

You Am I posted:

I'd say 99% of servos have LPG here in Australia.

Probably drops down to around 80% in the country and 50% in the outback.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MikeyTsi posted:

What exactly do you propose we use to produce all this extra electricity?

IF as a civilisation we loving man up and tell a bunch of ignorant religious assholes called Greenpeace and their ilk to go gently caress themselves then start beating sense into NIMBY's, we would be building nuclear power. Oh sure, a few tons of waste, but compared to the literal billions of tons of poo poo thrown into the atmosphere like we do now?

And then, hey..... we suddenly dont have electricity problems. Crack all the water you want for hydrogen or gently caress, plug every car into the grid, there's more uranium in seawater than we could possibly concieve of using, let alone known reserves - which is far more extensive than you might realise. And not even starting on Thorium.

But noooooooooo....... the greens have made this a religious jihad and that's what it truly is, a religion. THe hypocracy of beating everyone with science over climate change (Which, believe me I more than accept is true, deniers are morons) and then blocking their ears and LA LA LA at ANY science about nuclear and it's very real benefits, while throwing up any manner of bullshit.

What a stupid species we are, the answer is availible right now and we let a bunch of retards ruin it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

We're lucky we have cars or electricity at all. For every kind of energy source there is, you have a vocal group of people against it with a laundry list of reasons as to why it's terrible. If that sort of opposition had been around 100-120 years ago, we'd be in the local bar chatting about our velocipedes instead now.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Jesus christ, post pictures of cars for gently caress's sake. Nobody clicks on this thread for HYDROGEN CHAT. I clicked on the thread because it had 14 updates. Who doesn't want to look at badass car stuff at 9:00am from the toilet? Apparently none of you guys. Thx for ruining my poo poo.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
A mid-70s Ford prototype for a downsized Thunderbird. It never saw production as a T-bird. It did, however, become the Fairmont Futura.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Paul Boz_ posted:

Jesus christ, post pictures of cars for gently caress's sake. Nobody clicks on this thread for HYDROGEN CHAT. I clicked on the thread because it had 14 updates. Who doesn't want to look at badass car stuff at 9:00am from the toilet? Apparently none of you guys. Thx for ruining my poo poo.

Relax man. I think this is a SRT of some kind. Definitely no body rust.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

grover posted:

With an impact wrench, of course!

There's a wheeled jack under the car that lifts the wheel off the ground; let them set world records for non-stop endurance driving from California to NYC and back to California without ever stopping, and then later Alaska to Mexico City, without stopping. One guy would shimmy out on a retractable running board, while another climbs on the hood and sets up the plywood platform on the wheel that needs changing. The guy on the hood then climbs down to the plywood and changes the tire just like you normally would, only the car is still moving at 25mph. They refueled in a similar fashion. Safety was apparently not much of a concern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT8azxnVAC4&t=390s

Arabs don't need any lazy western innovation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFxLmmSILmM

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
You suck at operating a forklift. This guy doesn't. Assuming it isn't fake, et cetera and so on.

http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=34305

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Seatbelts posted:

There's no reason that shouldn't be legal. I hate people loving around with their tire changes and poo poo on the shoulder.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Seatbelts posted:

:aaaaa:

:drat:

I've seen them drive for a minute or so like that over there, but never that long. And how the hell do they balance with people climbing and moving all over the car? It also amazes me that the suspension and axles and tires just hold the entire weight of the car on the tips of two wheels for so long.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Hello Spaceman posted:

You suck at operating a forklift. This guy doesn't. Assuming it isn't fake, et cetera and so on.

I've never seen someone try dropping a coin into a bottle with one, but I've picked up coins with a forklift before.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Astroman posted:

:aaaaa:

:drat:

I've seen them drive for a minute or so like that over there, but never that long. And how the hell do they balance with people climbing and moving all over the car? It also amazes me that the suspension and axles and tires just hold the entire weight of the car on the tips of two wheels for so long.
It's pretty obviously rigged. They've got a 3rd wheel where we can't see it. They also would have had to have modified the differential and/or brakes, too.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why bother with all the power losses that go into storing nuclear energy into batteries for your car? Just cut out the middleman!

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!

Hello Spaceman posted:

Picking up a coin like that is an old trick. I've won a soda or two betting new guys at the warehouse that I couldn't do it. The bottle is a new angle but I think I could do that easily. To be fair I drive a 5 ton forklift and not a yard monster like that one.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

grover posted:

It's pretty obviously rigged. They've got a 3rd wheel where we can't see it. They also would have had to have modified the differential and/or brakes, too.

At about 40 seconds in, the camera pulls behind the truck going sideways and gently caress if I don't see but two wheels on the ground. It wouldn't be too hard for the driver to be able to feel whether the truck's starting to tip one way or the other and adjust the wheel accordingly, just like if you're riding a bike too slowly for the spinning wheels to be enough to keep you upright.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Friar Zucchini posted:

At about 40 seconds in, the camera pulls behind the truck going sideways and gently caress if I don't see but two wheels on the ground. It wouldn't be too hard for the driver to be able to feel whether the truck's starting to tip one way or the other and adjust the wheel accordingly, just like if you're riding a bike too slowly for the spinning wheels to be enough to keep you upright.
It's a viral video; they use lots of tricks and trick photography. It's just too smooth and too consistent to be real.

Notice they don't ever show the car going up on 2 wheels in these videos, or coming back down. They always cut that bit out ;)

grover fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 15, 2012

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

grover posted:

locking diff

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

grover posted:

Notice they don't ever show the car going up on 2 wheels in these videos, or coming back down. They always cut that bit out ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GUyx9Th7A4

;)

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JROCSmSsjow

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Giblet Plus! posted:

locking diff

A locking diff would be the worst possible thing for that stunt. It forces both wheels on the axle to turn at the same speed regardless of whether one is in the air or not. So clearly that isn't a locked diff in the video.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Slim Pickens posted:

Why bother with all the power losses that go into storing nuclear energy into batteries for your car? Just cut out the middleman!

Great username/post combo. I always wondered how they intended on packaging everything in those.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I didn't tweak this image at all. It really was this shade of blazing orange.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Hello Spaceman posted:

Well I know what I'm doing tomorrow at work.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

murphle posted:

A locking diff would be the worst possible thing for that stunt. It forces both wheels on the axle to turn at the same speed regardless of whether one is in the air or not. So clearly that isn't a locked diff in the video.

If they didn't turn at the same speed... all the spinning would happen on the wheel off the ground, and the car would slow down very fast.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

kimbo305 posted:

If they didn't turn at the same speed... all the spinning would happen on the wheel off the ground, and the car would slow down very fast.

You might be thinking of a LSD, which is between a locking diff and an open one. Depending on the behavior of the LSD, the off the ground wheel might not spin at all, but the one on the ground would still be driven.

Also, I got your PM, but your box seems full. PM me your email address or clean out your PM box so that I can send you the answers.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Brigdh posted:

You might be thinking of a LSD, which is between a locking diff and an open one. Depending on the behavior of the LSD, the off the ground wheel might not spin at all, but the one on the ground would still be driven.

There is no differential that can do that. A locking diff can keep both wheels turning the same speed and transfer all the power to the wheel on the ground though.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

jamal posted:

There is no differential that can do that. A locking diff can keep both wheels turning the same speed and transfer all the power to the wheel on the ground though.

Fiddling the hand brake cable or brake hydraulics could do it to lock the airborne wheel on demand.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.
I went to sell a man some wheels; a helicopter landed; I felt like this was pretty AI.

(yeah, my inspection is out of date and i haven't mounted a front plate, i'm ridin durty)

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
Why would a man who owns a helicopter need wheels?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

televiper posted:

(yeah, my inspection is out of date and i haven't mounted a front plate, i'm ridin durty)
The CrownVic peeking out makes this even more awesome.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Paul Boz_ posted:

Torque is a lift generating device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

Owen Wilsons Nose posted:

Why would a man who owns a helicopter need wheels?

He had a '94 318i on steelies and wanted my e36 bottle caps. He then picked up his car with a grappling hook from his helicopter and flew away.

Dude has been a helicopter mechanic for the DC police for the last 20 years. I had no idea this was the case when I agreed to meet him. When we were working out the exact location he's like 'call me when you're close to the hanger and i'll come open the gate.' "right-o!" <hang-up> "wait - hanger? what?!"