Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Hey SavageMessiah, QLGZD is this close to being the perfect answer to my desire to run ZDoom mods through Steam but for one issue: Why does it force you to choose an iwad in the launcher? ZDoom already knows what to do if you launch it without specifying an iwad, and the fact that QLGZD uses a set list means that you're completely unable to use custom iwads like Chex Quest or Harmony with it.

Good work otherwise, though.

Lork fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Lork posted:

Hey SavageMessiah, QLGZD is this close to being the perfect answer to my desire to run ZDoom mods through Steam but for one issue: Why does it force you to choose an iwad in the launcher? ZDoom already knows what to do if you launch it without specifying an iwad, and the fact that QLGZD uses a set list means that you're completely unable to use custom iwads like Chex Quest or Harmony with it.

Good work otherwise, though.

No reason really, just the way I made it. What's the name of the chex quest and harmony iwads? I'll add them to the supported list.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SavageMessiah posted:

No reason really, just the way I made it. What's the name of the chex quest and harmony iwads? I'll add them to the supported list.
Here's a list of all the IWADs the ZDoom family detects.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

SavageMessiah posted:

iwads that I have which aren't supported:

action2.wad (Action Doom 2)
chex3.wad (Chex Quest)
HACX.WAD (Hacx 1.2)
harm1.wad (Harmony)
hexdd.wad (Hexen expansion... I think this isn't actually an iwad but zdoom treats it like one)

Anyway, I think that if it's not hard to do for whatever reason, the easiest solution to catch anything that I've missed or that might come up in the future would be to add a [None] option to the list. That way you could also cut down on bloat if you think something's not important enough to go on the list.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
You know, I'd kill for a score system plugin for Brutal Doom and a stats system that kept track of petty poo poo like "favorite weapon" and accuracy and kill tallies. Sort of like Scoredoom, except, you know, compatible with BD.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lork posted:

iwads that I have which aren't supported:

action2.wad (Action Doom 2)
chex3.wad (Chex Quest)
HACX.WAD (Hacx 1.2)
harm1.wad (Harmony)
hexdd.wad (Hexen expansion... I think this isn't actually an iwad but zdoom treats it like one)

Anyway, I think that if it's not hard to do for whatever reason, the easiest solution to catch anything that I've missed or that might come up in the future would be to add a [None] option to the list. That way you could also cut down on bloat if you think something's not important enough to go on the list.

You can also use Wolf3d.pk3 as an IWAD. Zdoom doesn't support it naturally, but you can force it with ZDL and it works fine. (I don't know how good it is later, but in the first couple levels Wolf3d is cool as gently caress. It has 6 episodes and Spear of Destiny too. Get it here.)

Does anyone know of other TCs that work as IWADs?

edit so as not to double post:

As a total aside, I just got Timidity working, and Oh My God. The difference between this and the normal music is ridiculous. So good.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 14, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
REVENANTS! :argh:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

What is up with modders and Revenants? I don't get the fascination with them. Also I hate the bony bastards, and it's a pain in the rear end when you have to walk into a trap that spawns a dozen of them right on top of you. (Scythe2! :argh:)

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I actually think Revenants are pretty cool enemies now, though I thought they were the worst back when I first started playing lots of Doom. Used well they really mix things up in interesting ways.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
At least Revenants don't resurrect all the Hellknights you just slaughtered when they come pouring out of a door like it was some kind of demented clown car:

Not Pictured: Holding down the fire button on the BFG in the vain hope of killing them all before getting instagibbed by a half-dozen consecutive fire attacks.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Revenants are a cakewalk compared to the gamebreaker himself the pain elemental. I always like to bait the revenants into melee and marvel at how weak they become. You can try to punch a lost soul, but for how long?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Revenants are a cakewalk compared to the gamebreaker himself the pain elemental. I always like to bait the revenants into melee and marvel at how weak they become. You can try to punch a lost soul, but for how long?

I agree, revenants really aren't a problem. You can't bait them into melee when there's ~60 of them, though.

I'm just finishing up EPIC 2 and man, these last few levels are a loving slog. It's like the author just gave up and started throwing lots of enemies at you so he could pack a few more maps and say the WAD had 32. Killed this Spider Mastermind? Oh, another one spawned in right after him (her?). Killed this Arch Vile? Four more are going to spawn in after him, one by one. Killed this Cyberdemon? Don't worry, another one will spawn in behind him in about 15 seconds.

It's not even particularly difficult or frustrating. It's just...dull.

catlord posted:

What is up with modders and Revenants? I don't get the fascination with them. Also I hate the bony bastards, and it's a pain in the rear end when you have to walk into a trap that spawns a dozen of them right on top of you. (Scythe2! :argh:)

I don't know, but I've noticed it, too.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Pain elementals too just hang around and yawn lazily when you get up in their grill, blocking their elemental spawns. Overall I think the overuse of a single enemy is always exhausting. Best traps are always mixing it up, following maybe with an archvile in an interesting environment for a really tense fight.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

catlord posted:

Because they're extremely threatening, die in 2 SSG shots but never just 1, and most importantly the homing powerful projectiles are a godsend for infighting.

They're also really annoying to melee bait, I find. Half the time they just decide they're gonna feed me a rocket.

But they're easily the most threatening and interesting of Doom 2's mid-tier enemies.

Oenis posted:

Pain elementals too just hang around and yawn lazily when you get up in their grill, blocking their elemental spawns. Overall I think the overuse of a single enemy is always exhausting. Best traps are always mixing it up, following maybe with an archvile in an interesting environment for a really tense fight.

This is Doom's ultimate strength. The bestiary can make for very interesting gameplay scenarios with just a little thought. For example, a Baron on an isolated platform in a room filled with Lost Souls. The impulse is to fire a rocket or two at the baron, but lost souls are an effective anti-rocketeer enemy, and the chaingun is not effective vs barons compared to revenants.

Arachnotrons are interesting when you don't have rockets - one is easily painlocked with the SSG, but you have to devote all of your attention to it and if you have to shoot something else you're going to get a few shots of plasma your way.

Cacodemons are very interesting when you have a limited platform on which to stand - they're sort of like aerial pinky demons, they will easily fill up space if you let them. E4M2, Perfect Hatred, is a textbook example of good cacodemons.

danbo fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 15, 2012

koren
Sep 7, 2003

catlord posted:

revenants are beautiful:

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

catlord posted:

Probably why Croteam keeps spamming loving Kleers in their games - does good damage, but isn't hitscan.

Still cheap as fark. :argh:

Are there any decent weapon add-ons or overhauls for Quake 1? I need to get Oblige for it...

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

JackMackerel posted:

Probably why Croteam keeps spamming loving Kleers in their games - does good damage, but isn't hitscan.

Still cheap as fark. :argh:

Are there any decent weapon add-ons or overhauls for Quake 1? I need to get Oblige for it...

http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/quakec/weapons/

For as long as I can remember, I've been a fan of PerQ for Quake 1. A Jeep with Laser Blasters? Check! A mech suit with a rocket launcher and chaingun? Check!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SavageMessiah posted:

I didn't care much for how the pistol-start enforcer linked earlier worked (new difficulty, UV only, etc) and it also doesn't seem to work right for brutal doom so I made these:

riflestart.wad
pistolstart.wad

riflestart is the brutal doom one of course. These don't affect any particular difficulty level, they just reset your inventory when a level starts. Just add them and goooo :black101:

Note: These use ACS and only work in zdoomish ports as far as I know.

OK, I've been playing through Brutal Doom with CC4 and the rifle start mod and absolutely loving it! I think there's a conflict with Brutal Doom and riflestart.wad though, in that with the latter enabled the basic shotgun is always unloaded when I first pick it up :( I did try it with the no reloads mutator, but that doesn't seem to quite work properly when weapon switching.

(thanks for the mods, they're awesome)

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
When I was younger I misunderstood the manual's description of revenants and thought that they revived other enemies, like the archviles do. The fact that I never ever saw one do this didn't clue me in at all - I just thought I was killing them too fast for them to do it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I never had Doom II as a kid (only the first one). I never ran into Revenants back then, but I can imagine them being pretty much the hardest thing ever because I played exclusively with the keyboard.

When I first encountered them in Doom II I already moved on to mouse controls by then.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

When I was younger I misunderstood the manual's description of revenants and thought that they revived other enemies, like the archviles do. The fact that I never ever saw one do this didn't clue me in at all - I just thought I was killing them too fast for them to do it.

I remember reading the manual's description of enemies, and there were at least two occasions where the description ended with "'nuff said". I didn't know who "nuff" was or why he was an expert on Doom beasties, but my 8-year-old brain conjured up an image of a bearded goat man to fit the name. No poo poo. It was years before I realized that 'nuff was just denim-shorts-shorthand for "enough".

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

The Kins posted:

Here's a list of all the IWADs the ZDoom family detects.

Thanks, that was very useful.

Here's a new version of QLZ that has an expanded IWAD list.
QLZ

One of these days I'll get around to writing a new launcher in a programming language that lets me actually add features to it :negative:

Convex posted:

OK, I've been playing through Brutal Doom with CC4 and the rifle start mod and absolutely loving it! I think there's a conflict with Brutal Doom and riflestart.wad though, in that with the latter enabled the basic shotgun is always unloaded when I first pick it up :( I did try it with the no reloads mutator, but that doesn't seem to quite work properly when weapon switching.

(thanks for the mods, they're awesome)

Aarrgh Brutal Doom uses the wierdest inventory stuff. Try this new version.
riflestart.wad

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks for the fix, works perfectly now!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't understand... don't you start with the rifle in Brutal Doom anyway?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't understand... don't you start with the rifle in Brutal Doom anyway?

People like to play doom levels starting with a clean slate everytime instead of carrying over all their health, ammo, etc. This just enforces that so you don't have to cheat to each map. Brutal Doom needs special support because of the way it horribly abuses the ZDoom inventory system, hence the separate wads.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I remember reading the manual's description of enemies, and there were at least two occasions where the description ended with "'nuff said". I didn't know who "nuff" was or why he was an expert on Doom beasties, but my 8-year-old brain conjured up an image of a bearded goat man to fit the name. No poo poo. It was years before I realized that 'nuff was just denim-shorts-shorthand for "enough".

Thank god, it wasn't just me.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
The Imp description of tough S.O.Bs eluded me for years :<.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

maev posted:

The Imp description of tough S.O.Bs eluded me for years :<.

Yeah, and the measurement for the Hell Knight confused me too: "Tough as a dump truck and nearly as big..." made me think of something that was monstrous in size. Hell Knights weren't that big.

Ungh, I think I'm on the 27th map of EPIC 2 and the author suddenly felt the need to stuff ~130 revenants into a medium-sized, donut-shaped room. They've all got their backs to you when you enter the room, and if you attack them from the very edge of the room, they won't hear you. Eventually, though--after you've whittled down 40 or 50 of them from this sneaky position--you'll have to enter the room to get a clear shot at the remainder, thus alerting the other 65 or 70 of them.

Fighting 65 or 70 (a "clusterfuck", I believe the measurement is) revenants in a relatively tight area, with half of them coming at you from behind and the other half to the front...not very great.

gently caress you, EPIC 2 author. Once I get to map 20 or so, I become hellbent on finishing a WAD, but you're making it so hard for me to put up with your brainless "more monsters" bullshit. It's the laziest kind of challenge, because anybody can pack a room to the gills with monsters.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

My copy of the Doom 2 manual had the graphics for the Plasma Rifle and Chaingun switched. That always drove me nuts.

Also, thanks to the manual, I sometimes catch myself using the turn of phrase "swap some lead upside their head" when playing videogames.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, and the measurement for the Hell Knight confused me too: "Tough as a dump truck and nearly as big..." made me think of something that was monstrous in size. Hell Knights weren't that big.

Ungh, I think I'm on the 27th map of EPIC 2 and the author suddenly felt the need to stuff ~130 revenants into a medium-sized, donut-shaped room. They've all got their backs to you when you enter the room, and if you attack them from the very edge of the room, they won't hear you. Eventually, though--after you've whittled down 40 or 50 of them from this sneaky position--you'll have to enter the room to get a clear shot at the remainder, thus alerting the other 65 or 70 of them.

Fighting 65 or 70 (a "clusterfuck", I believe the measurement is) revenants in a relatively tight area, with half of them coming at you from behind and the other half to the front...not very great.

gently caress you, EPIC 2 author. Once I get to map 20 or so, I become hellbent on finishing a WAD, but you're making it so hard for me to put up with your brainless "more monsters" bullshit.

I really enjoyed EPIC 2 up until around the time you finish off the spaceship maps; a few maps after that the author decides to replace all the neat map geometry and vague sense of narrative with "MORE MONSTERS MEANS MORE CHALLENGE." One of the last maps gets really awful, with a giant, sprawling cathedral that you have to navigate in order to find a number of switches that will unlock the exit; have fun backtracking through previously-cleared rooms, humping the walls in order to find one!

By the time you get to the final map you have just lost all interest in the WAD and want to clear it for completionist's sake.

Gotta give the author props for using a MIDI-fied version of Total Recall for one of the maps, though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

ChickenHeart posted:

I really enjoyed EPIC 2 up until around the time you finish off the spaceship maps; a few maps after that the author decides to replace all the neat map geometry and vague sense of narrative with "MORE MONSTERS MEANS MORE CHALLENGE." One of the last maps gets really awful, with a giant, sprawling cathedral that you have to navigate in order to find a number of switches that will unlock the exit; have fun backtracking through previously-cleared rooms, humping the walls in order to find one!

By the time you get to the final map you have just lost all interest in the WAD and want to clear it for completionist's sake.

Gotta give the author props for using a MIDI-fied version of Total Recall for one of the maps, though.

Good to know. I think I'll junk this WAD and move onto something else then. :sigh:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ChickenHeart posted:

One of the last maps gets really awful, with a giant, sprawling cathedral that you have to navigate in order to find a number of switches that will unlock the exit; have fun backtracking through previously-cleared rooms, humping the walls in order to find one!

That's MAP28: Ogdoad, a sort of homage to Eternal Doom. On the plus side, it has my favorite MIDI in Epic 2's soundtrack.

The thing is that there are eight special switches hidden around the level, which open (and light up) eight switches in a room. You've got to activate all eight of the room's switches to open the end.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I loving hate switchhunts and wandering around aimlessly. I prefer maps to have a nice flow from beginning to end.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

I loving hate switchhunts and wandering around aimlessly. I prefer maps to have a nice flow from beginning to end.

Heck yeah. My ideal map is one with 50-125 enemies, a decent attention to detail, and a flow that--once you know where everything is and where you need to go--you can blast through like a goddamned maniac.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:
On the topic of big levels, I've been playing CC4 because of the Brutal recommendations (would not have realized it came out until Cacowards otherwise). It's a good megawad so far alright, but my God The Grotto (map11).

All six keys? I was in there for an hour. Pretty impressive level design but by the time I flipped the switch that said EXIT and nothing happened I was raging. The generator behind you with an archvile opened up, you have to turn that on. I would've noticed if I hadn't killed everything in there through the window

Tried out Brutal Hexen too, it's shaping up well. Melee combat is terrifying. If Mark doesn't outright add more weapons, the leveling system should help mix things up over the course of the game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ExMortis posted:

On the topic of big levels, I've been playing CC4 because of the Brutal recommendations (would not have realized it came out until Cacowards otherwise). It's a good megawad so far alright, but my God The Grotto (map11).

Some of the levels are clearly meant to be played with the occasional save in there. I don't think they put any upper limit on length on any of them.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

The Kins posted:

Back to Saturn X: Episode 1 has been released! 20 maps, three years in the making. Should run on all source ports, though if you're using ZDoom you should grab a SVN build.

These maps are so good! :swoon: Been playing it co-op with a buddy and its hell of alot of fun.

Any other good suggestions for co-oping? Gonna give DTST a go in single player, how about DTWID: The Lost Episodes or Winter's Fury? Winter looks rather awesome but im not sure if its SP only.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

Yeah, switch hunts are really terrible.

Earlier in the thread, someone posted a cfg addition to get rid of slimers in Duke 3D. Does anyone have that handy?

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 16, 2012

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

The Kins posted:

Back to Saturn X: Episode 1 has been released! 20 maps, three years in the making. Should run on all source ports, though if you're using ZDoom you should grab a SVN build.

Shadowmorn posted:

These maps are so good! :swoon:

They really are! Well at least up through the first couple of maps so far. :) Maybe it all goes to hell later, but I thought I'd chime in here. They're easy on the eyeballs -- new textures and interesting geometry without being gaudy. And a good monster-shootin' flow that pulls you through the map, none of the switch-hunt business griped about in posts above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I just finished Brutal Doom's Campaign mode (the default doom 2 campaign). My bloodlust has not been satiated. I must have more.

Are there any other maps, campaigns and other things I can use with brutal doom? is there a modified version of Doom 1 or anything?

quote:

At least Revenants don't resurrect all the Hellknights you just slaughtered when they come pouring out of a door like it was some kind of demented clown car:

What WAD is this crazy horde of revenants/archviles picture from?!