Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hewlett posted:

While you're here, that reminds me that I need to schedule either one of the suggestions you submitted to the website, or get a Patrick Wilson film in the lineup so you can show off your expertise.

You guys should totally do Young Adult for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

:siren: NEW EPISODE! :siren:

This week, we did Throw Momma from the Train, which I'd never seen before and knew little about. The only Danny DeVito directed thing I'd seen to date was Death to Smoochy, but between that and this, he's got a pretty good track record. He seems to have a strange obsession with dark crime comedies; his directorial and editing style is a little Coens-y, to its credit. This film in particular reminded me of a wackier Barton Fink, with the struggling writers who have a hard time getting past the first few words on their typewriter, as well as the beach imagery that shows up at important points in the film. Crystal's really on his game, too, and his natural smarminess is played up just nice here.

Our audio quality has significantly improved, I think, these past couple episodes, so I'm curious what you guys think. We also get pretty gross this episode, with the most troubling/horrifying ending to our quiz we've had. At the same time, Jared has finally taken the Belabored Pun Arms Race to a whole new level with the drink: The "Momma's Throw-Made Apple Pie a la Mode (of TRAINsportation)".

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 7, 2012

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Throw Momma from the Train is one of my personal favorite movies, and I'm excited as heck to hear this episode.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
So weird hearing my name at the beginning of the episode. I'm into it already.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

This week, we celebrate Connickuh (our own little unofficial holiday where we celebrate the life and work of Harry Connick Jr.) with Our review of Little Man Tate, the 1991 Jodie Foster film that featured her as a struggling waitress(geisha?) with a horribly muddled New York accent, trying to help her little genius son Fred Tate deal with the pressures of exceptionalism. The film itself is pretty muddled, half-heartedly dealing with the then-current fad of focusing on preternaturally exceptional kids (this film came around around the time of Doogie Howser, Searching for Bobby Fischer and so on) without seemingly really saying anything. Fred's such an enigma, we never really get to see more than a tiny glimpse of what's going on inside his mind (except for the overblown Beautiful Mind-esque sequences of him seeing numbers and geometry), leaving us confused as to whether this film wishes to demonize single mothers or programs for gifted children. Part of me thinks that it's both.

Connick is woefully underused as a Van Wilder-like college student who teaches Fred to have fun (for about ten minutes, than he's summarily written out of the script). It's a shame too, because he has by far the most charisma of any of the actors in the film, despite a more than capable cast.

Luckily, we've got some awesome discussion this episode, as our old friend Todd (filmmaker/longtime fan of the show - and former mayor of our college town, no less) stops by to offer some valuable insight into the film as well. It was a real treat to have him there, and he also made our quiz really fun.

NOTE: For those of you in the Chicagoland area, we're still doing screenings at the Underground Wonder Bar (Clark and Huron, in the River North area downtown) Monday nights at 7! On the 17th, we're going to be screening the Star Wars Holiday Special, so we'll see how that goes. Come on out, we'd love to see you!

Next week: It's our End of the World special as we cover 2012. A goon may guest; it's TBD.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Hewlett posted:

Luckily, we've got some awesome discussion this episode, as our old friend Todd (filmmaker/longtime fan of the show - and former mayor of our college town, no less) stops by to offer some valuable insight into the film as well. It was a real treat to have him there, and he also made our quiz really fun.
Holy poo poo, what a small loving world. I've been half-assedly following this thread for a while, then saw Todd mention his guest spot on Facebook. I had no idea the both of you were Truman alumni.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The holiday special couldn't kill Star Wars, but I suspect it played a part in killing holiday specials.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

drat, small world indeed. What class were you? But yeah, Todd is the best; he was our faculty advisor I found when I was president of Filmmakers Club.

General Ironicus posted:

The holiday special couldn't kill Star Wars, but I suspect it played a part in killing holiday specials.

Come out and bring your expertise! Bring the fiancee. Sidenote: totally up for screening Hamlet in Rock at one of these.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Hewlett posted:

drat, small world indeed. What class were you? But yeah, Todd is the best; he was our faculty advisor I found when I was president of Filmmakers Club.

Come out and bring your expertise! Bring the fiancee. Sidenote: totally up for screening Hamlet in Rock at one of these.

We plan to, but it will probably have to wait until January. The holidays are a bit nuts this year. Hamlet would be great, but it won't be much of a singalong with only the two of us seeing it before-hand.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

End of the world? Of course we had to do 2012! Not much to say about it, really, as Jared :spergin:s out on the bad science, I talk about some of the more awful subtext surrounding the film, and we all generally agree that despite the wonderful CGI, there's really not much to write home about. The intro's pretty boss, though, and we get into some decent discussion of the do's and dont's of 'epic movies' like this.

In a few days, though, we are going to do a short Christmas special for Brazil, as well as wrap up the year in film for us, so stay tuned for that!

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Hewlett posted:

End of the world? Of course we had to do 2012! Not much to say about it, really, as Jared :spergin:s out on the bad science, I talk about some of the more awful subtext surrounding the film, and we all generally agree that despite the wonderful CGI, there's really not much to write home about. The intro's pretty boss, though, and we get into some decent discussion of the do's and dont's of 'epic movies' like this.

Oh poo poo, that is perrrrfect! I was about to start livetweeting that film, and now I have the perfect excuse to drink.

e: One of the rules should have been "Drink for characters making blatantly petty complaints." "Hey man, that's my $600 jacket!"

Jay Dub fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 21, 2012

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Our Christmas Special this year is one of our favorite films and a frequent user request - Brazil! This one's pretty short, as a) we were recording a double-dip of episodes between this an the 2012 one, and b) it's honestly hard to gush about your mutual favorite movie for 45 minutes and keep it interesting, so we kept it as short as possible. We tried to work in a "2012 in Film" segment, but as Jared had only really seen The Avengers this year, it didn't turn out all that great, so we cut it. See you on the other side of 2012!

Next time, we're going to do The 13th Warrior, since we're heading into 2013.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Since it's 2013, our first film of the new year has to have that new number in the title - it was with this attitude in mind that we decided on The 13th Warrior. The film's a mess, and it's really hard to actually see what's going on, but Banderas seems to be trying and that's fun. Still, we have a lively discussion and quiz on the subject that's worth checking out. I'm recovering from some holiday sinus stuff, so I'm a bit more nasal than usual (though that's not saying much).

We're headed to Vegas on the 6th for the Podcast Awards ceremonies on the 7th (6:30 PST) - if you want to see us live at the event, that'll be streaming on http://www.podcastawards.com. In the meantime, while we're there, we're going to watch Diamonds Are Forever in whatever scenario we can find ourselves in. Maybe we can drag another podcast guest into the mix!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Bumping the thread to say two things:

1) We're getting on the plane to Vegas tonight, so be sure to tune in to the Podcast Awards at 6:30 PST at http://www.podcastawards.com to watch us lose and Leo Laporte drone on for an hour;

2) We've secured a spot using some of their professional audio equipment to record our next episode which (TBD) may see AMC Movie Talk's John Campea as a guest.

also;

3) We just got confirmation that we'll be presenting Rhinestone at Northwestern University's B-Fest, and sponsoring the fest itself. We're pretty excited!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Vegas Trip Report!

Just got back from Vegas yesterday; it was quite an adventure. First, it was Jared's first flight ever, and my first flight without a parent present. At 27, I feel like a grownup. We got to the Rio All-Suites after a couple connecting flights, and the room was super swank. After some light gambling and drinking, we turned in for the festivities.

We didn't really participate in the expo overmuch, but I think I will in earnest the following year if we have time, money and a reason. The Podcast Awards themselves were fairly low-key and cool; it's really surreal hearing Leo Laporte say the name of your podcast, even though we lost. I can say, however, that the Beerist guys - the winners - are super cool. Every cool podcaster I met lives in Austin. Food for thought.

There was an afterparty with an open bar, which was my downfall. However, I got to have many a great conversation with quite a few podcasters, traded around some cards, got many many compliments, and shared some film talk with Korey from Spill.com (super cool guy, and my new homework assignment is to actually watch Training Day, since I haven't seen it yet), Matt Berry from ESPN's podcast stuff, and Rob from Rob Has a Podcast, among others. Really cool networking sort of party, which was new to me.

However, the night took a terrible turn as, while checking out the Whiskey Attic at the Freakin' Frog Bar in Vegas (home to the biggest collection of whiskeys in the world - truly awe-inspiring) my shoe slipped and I took a bit of a tumble down the rather harshly-angled flight of stairs. One ice pack and a cab ride later, I have a severely sprained ankle, and thanking my lucky stars that I work from home. I took a wheelchair around the final day and on the plane; my ankle's still pretty loving tender, though it's doing much better. I hope it's not a fracture :ohdear: though that seems unlikely at this point.

Yesterday though, while around on my wheelchair, we did manage to get a slot in their little pavilion (with professional equipment set up and everything) on the expo floor to do our upcoming Diamonds Are Forever episode, with AMC Movie Talk's Editor in Chief John Campea. He was an absolute sweetheart, and actually stopped the podcast to tell us just how much fun he had talking with us about Diamonds, and James Bond in general. It was a good feeling, and we returned from Vegas with renewed energy and a more concise direction for the podcast, which I may post about in the near future.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 10, 2013

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

:siren: NEW EPISODES! :siren:

Here's the Diamonds Are Forever Vegas episode with John Campea of AMC Movie Talk - audio's a little weird because we were a little unfamiliar with the equipment, but we had a lot of fun, and it's a good discussion. Feel free to laugh at our completely inaccurate Oscar predictions, which we recorded two days before the announcements.

I just put up our latest episode today, on the 1980s post-apocalyptic Italian flick She. It's a really strange one, and one I'd seen before with guest Craig (and the guy who suggested it to us) - it's really insane. Imagine if an Italian film company just decided to make a movie out of what they found in a bunch of community theatre costume shops, and managed to hire Sandahl Bergman from Conan the Barbarian to star in it. The result is maddening, yet strangely entertaining.

Couple other announcements:

1) We're still up for sponsoring Rhinestone for B-Fest, at Northwestern University in Evanston, IL; that'll be January 25th and 26th. I at least will be there, along with one or two other Alcohollywood guests (and Jared if he can still make it; he may have to work his real job that weekend).

2) Soon, Alcohollywood will officially be a MoviePass affiliate, so you'll soon be able to get referral invites from us. We may also have promo codes in the near future, so look out for that. I've talked about MoviePass with a lot of goons here already, and it's actually a pretty good deal (if not for being off my feet, I'd actually be using it).

Next week, we're caving to goon pressure (also the fact that I have the BR and haven't watched it yet) and watching House/Hausu whatever people want to call it. Looking forward to it!

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 18, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Hewlett posted:

I just put up our latest episode today, on the 1980s post-apocalyptic Italian flick She. It's a really strange one, and one I'd seen before with guest Craig (and the guy who suggested it to us) - it's really insane. Imagine if an Italian film company just decided to make a movie out of what they found in a bunch of community theatre costume shops, and managed to hire Sandahl Bergman from Conan the Barbarian to star in it. The result is maddening, yet strangely entertaining.

Would this be the strangest movie you guys have ever seen and if not what is it?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Would this be the strangest movie you guys have ever seen and if not what is it?

Good question; I'd say it's up there, but I think right now the strangest movie we've ever seen is Fellini Satyricon, likely to be eclipsed tonight when we record for Hausu (with goon guest, CineD regular Yoshifan823!). She is most certainly strange, but some of the weirder moments were enough to ground us in some basic hilarity - the same was true for Starcrash, which is one of the favorite movies we've ever done. (Protip: You can tell which movies confused and perplexed us because the episodes turn into a game of Rehash the Plot with an Incredulous Voice.)

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I think tonight's recording is going to be one of those episodes.

e: Whoops, didn't see the date. Guess it was last night's.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 23, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Hewlett posted:

(Protip: You can tell which movies confused and perplexed us because the episodes turn into a game of Rehash the Plot with an Incredulous Voice.)
I find it mildly hilarious that not only were you guys confused and perplexed but the box the movie came in was too. I wonder what the technique is to generate a movie that has a specific madness to it but still is rather entertaining.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Luckily I know! It comes in two parts.

The first is the entire motivation behind the film. The studio that made it was hemorrhaging money after making a few bombs. They had a meeting and decided that the reason all these movies failed at the box office was because they "made too much sense." So they decided the solution was to make a movie which made as little sense as possible. So from the beginning the film's aim was to confuse and entertain. Secondly was the director would often ask his kid about his fears and nightmares and then incorporate them into the movie. For instance, the kid was initially afraid of learning to play the piano because he was afraid it would bite his fingers off. He even had nightmares about a piano eating him. These both made it into the movie.

Also I know you were concerned about the nudity, but I know for certain that one of the girls was 18. If I remember right, the casting call was for girls who looked like they could still be in high school and not ones who were actually still in high school. I can't remember where I read that but I'm fairly sure it's true.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

TTBF posted:

Also I know you were concerned about the nudity, but I know for certain that one of the girls was 18. If I remember right, the casting call was for girls who looked like they could still be in high school and not ones who were actually still in high school. I can't remember where I read that but I'm fairly sure it's true.

Yeah, I figured they were legal, it was just skeezy to watch because they're supposed to be high school girls. I got what they were going for, but it was just one moment where we're like "Oh. :stare: Um."

I read about the impetus of the movie being to make it intentionally "incomprehensible," and I think it's a great story. It turned out to be a really fun episode, and fellow CineDer Yoshifan823 was a blast to hang with. We'll definitely have him on again next time we can work it out.

In a few minutes, I'm headed to B-Fest to present Rhinestone (which is playing at the lowly time of 6:20AM, since people made a stink about it being terrible in a previous B-Fest), but hopefully I'll see Power of Pecota or some other Chicagoons there. I'll be the guy in crutches. Jared can't make it.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Back from B-Fest; gonna crosspost my rambling but short recap from another forum:

quote:

I went - it was pretty fun; the lineup wasn't the best (partly my fault for Rhinestone), but I liked it. For about half the movies, though, the color balance was off, so for movies like Steel, Galaxina and others, there was absolutely no red to speak of (this made all-red planets and the molten steel of Steel bright green). This was finally fixed with Rhinestone, but that was a small comfort.

I'd say Steel (or Black Belt Jones) was the biggest winner, coming after the raucous loudness of Breaker! Breaker! and the slowness of The Wasp Woman. They did a raffle after Steel, which was prefaced by a kind-of sad "scene" that four fat nerds put on, where they just poorly re-enacted the wedding scene from Spaceballs. (I'm not sure if it was meant to be for our entertainment - in which case it was ill-advised - or if it was actually supposed to be a really sad idea of what these two wanted their wedding ceremony to be. Either way, I saw a fat kid wearing dog ears and a tail to play Barf, and that's the closes I ever want to come to a furry.) I didn't win anything in the raffle, but I know Jay won some books.

After that, there was the obligatory (apparently) Wizard of Speed and Time short (which was fun) and the also-entertaining Plan 9 midnight showing. Black Belt Jones played, and that was great, but then it started to go downhill - that was also when I tried unsuccessfully to sleep. I didn't really watch Sorority House Massacre, and I'd seen The Mole People before, but then Galaxina was absolutely the worst movie of the fest. Holy poo poo was it horrible and unfunny.

Once Galaxina ended, my baby Rhinestone played, which was met with boos once the Alcohollywood logo showed, and I was asked to show myself and account for my crimes (which was fair enough). Some did enjoy Rhinestone, but it was definitely a painful slog for others. I hope the fact that I was on crutches for B-Fest got me some mercy.

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman was next, which was short but fun and full of hilariously unfortunate sexism. We didn't stick around after the lunch break, since we were tired and didn't really care about the other movies. All in all, I did have fun, and it was definitely an experience - got to say hey to Jay for a second, and the people around me were fun to talk to.

I think, armed with experience of this year's B-Fest, I'll be sure to 1) bring more snacks, since we got pretty hungry, and 2) Make sure my sponsorship suggestions are more fun, so that the B-Fest guys don't pick the worst movie of the roster. I will also make certain to 3) not be injured, so I can actually move around more and talk to people more.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

:siren: NEW EPISODES :siren:

Sorry for taking so long to post this one, but CineD rockstar and Kevin-Smith-caller-outer Yoshifan823 joins us for our collective first-watch reactions to House. (Yes, I know the whole House/Hausu debate, but I put both on the page since that's how best we can get people to find us. Shut up.) It was a hell of a lot of fun, both with our guest and with the movie. We had never seen it before, and its gloriously crazy energy warmed the cockles of our heart. Just give it a listen.

I also just today posted our latest episode, where Jared and I drunkenly rewatch Dante's Peak and find it to be surprisingly fun to watch, if not all that great of a movie. We don't get too much into the Dante's Peak/Volcano disaster double-feature that happened in the 90s, but we touch on it, and I think it's easy to say that this film, because of its smaller scale and slightly less ridiculous treatment of the volcano, is a bit more palatable to watch. It's basically Jaws with a volcano, and since it's the 90s you get more Blossom-overalls and double-macchiatto-espressos than you can shake a seismometer at.

Slice of life: my hometown's local newspaper wants to interview me to do a story on Alcohollywood. It's basically the real-life version of this person, but I'm flattered that she wants to talk to me about my "moderate Internet stardom" (her words).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Has the All Episodes page not been updated since The 13th Warrior?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

TrixRabbi posted:

Has the All Episodes page not been updated since The 13th Warrior?

Alas no, that's something I'm working on today - it's kind of gotten ignored (as has the Drink Recipes page); I'm having trouble getting formatting right, and the text on all the recipes keeps compacting on itself each time I enter a new one, which gets frustrating to reformat (especially as we have more than 70 recipes now).

EDIT: Both the All Episodes and Drink Recipes pages should be up to date. Next week, we're doing Felony (a very hard to find direct to video/DVD action movie starring Lance Henriksen and Jeffrey Combs, done by request). After that, we're doing our Valentine's Day episode, which we haven't quite decided on (we're thinking of doing Never Been Kissed). All we know is that we want to cover absolutely atrocious modern romantic comedies for V-Day each year, so if anyone has any better suggestions I'm open to them.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 2, 2013

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

I think the tourism industry in Dante's Peak is people coming to see the world's biggest suicide pact.

E: Or maybe he heavily invested in the town and is trying to maximize the body count so it's more attractive to future tourists.

General Ironicus fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 2, 2013

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

I'm catching up on old episodes I missed and the Hausu podcast is a lot better if you imagine it's a long-form improv exercise between the three of you.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

General Ironicus posted:

I'm catching up on old episodes I missed and the Hausu podcast is a lot better if you imagine it's a long-form improv exercise between the three of you.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that Hausu doesn't exist.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

General Ironicus posted:

Yeah, that episode was definitely one of the better instances of Recount the Plot we've had on the show (Recount the Plot already sounding like an interesting improv game).

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

This week, we took on a really obscure user request from a friend of ours - the 1995 DTV action flick Felony, where Re-Animator's Jeffrey Combs gets to try to do a straight action role along with a cadre of B-movie stars, including David Warner, Joe Don Baker, Charles Napier (in one of his only non-military general roles), and Lance Henriksen. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like a movie studio actually tried to make Michael Scott's Threat Level Midnight, and it vacillates between frustrating and hilariously baffling. Holy poo poo, it's a terrible movie, but we do have fun trying to piece it together.

Next week, we're doing the Warren Beatty 2001 rom-com Town and Country for Valentine's Day, and we've got our next couple months mostly figured out!

2/21 - Lincoln (Oscar Special)
2/28 - Bedknobs & Broomsticks

3/7 - O Brother, Where Art Thou?
3/14 - The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns (St. Patty's Day Special)
3/21 - Fantasy Mission Force
3/28 - A Fistful of Dollars

4/4 - Jurassic Park
4/11 - Robot Jox
4/18 - The Third Man
4/25 - The Game

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 9, 2013

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Can I invite myself into the O Brother episode?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

General Ironicus posted:

Can I invite myself into the O Brother episode?

Absolutely - it was your suggestion, too, as I recall. Would be glad to have you!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

ANNOUNCEMENT: We are having a bitch of a time actually finding Town & Country, so last night we recorded a podcast covering the Nia Vardalos vanity project I Hate Valentine's Day, which has to be one of the most odious, obnoxious movies I've ever seen. The cast itself is a treat.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Artist and forum user Voidburger just shared this second-hand experience of 2012, which I thought oddly matched your first-hand experience: http://i.imgur.com/aZq3kvm.jpg

"The sun's rays has too much rays" makes more sense to me than a mutated neutrino does at least.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

General Ironicus posted:

Artist and forum user Voidburger just shared this second-hand experience of 2012, which I thought oddly matched your first-hand experience: http://i.imgur.com/aZq3kvm.jpg

"The sun's rays has too much rays" makes more sense to me than a mutated neutrino does at least.

Very nice. I think it's hilarious that she thought the ex-wife died, because Amanda Peet does live at the end, but she does so little she might as well have been dead the whole time.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Just in time for Valentine's Day, we get together to watch the Nia Vardalos trainwreck I Hate Valentine's Day, which seems like aliens from another planet watched Sex and the City: The Movie and tried to replicate it with robots. Seriously, even for romantic comedies, the entire cast of this movie consists of robotic, psychotic, emotionally stunted man- and woman-children who don't know what a real relationship is, while playing straight these people's neuroses as if they were the new normal. The ever-Joker-grinning Vardalos writes and directs herself, and casts all ugly comedians around her to make herself look better, while John Corbett confusedly half-grins his way through this role, wondering when he'll stop being 'the boyfriend' or 'the husband' or 'the voice of Applebee's'. It's baffling to watch and infuriating to process, but we (along with Julia and returning guest Todd) do manage to get in a really good discussion about what specifically makes this movie hard to swallow. My personal favorite contribution to the podcast is the coining of the term "crotchos," which is defined as "the post-coital large plate of nachos an amorous couple puts on their lap and consumes between bouts of intercourse."

And yes, the image above is of Corbett's characters tapas restaurant, Comic Sans banner and all.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 14, 2013

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
General Ironicus introduced me to the podcast. I've only listened to a few episodes and I like it so far, but I was taken aback by how harsh you guys were on Labyrinth. :( No offense intended, but you guys seemed really uninformed about the movie (Hoggle != Hogwarts), its message, Jim Henson's muppets, and the 80s in general (calling David Bowie's hair anime? It was the 80s! And it was David Bowie! Those things were already like that.) You guys also seemed very dismissive of those who legitimately enjoy the movie, shrugging it all off as nostalgia and not valid opinion.

The movie doesn't hold up to criticisms about realism/randomness because it's a children's/young adult's fantasy movie. Not only that, but I would argue that one of the big points about the Labyrinth is that it breaks all rules of realism and IS very random in its nature. Sarah has to adjust to that, not whine about how it's unfair. I think the movie is intentional in creating a sense of confusion and feeling dreamlike in nature, hopping between many characters and situations. The viewer is encouraged to accept that atmosphere, just like you do when dreaming. In a movie based strongly around illusion, it succeeds in disorienting the viewer while still being fluffily entertaining.

Now - and this is just my opinion, and I could be entirely wrong - but listening to that particular podcast, I think you guys went into the movie with a bias. Because it's a cult movie that people have a ton of nostalgia for, you may have wanted to be more harsh on it; as another goon mentioned earlier, you praised Joe vs. The Volcano for using similar tropes as Labyrinth.

I might suggest that for movies that have a more cultlike status, you might want to bring on a guest that can explain the context of why people enjoy the movie. (Obviously, in an even-keeled way. Nobody wants the podcast to turn into a yelling match, haha.) A guest like that might also be interesting for trivia purposes. For example, I was hoping someone would mention that the role of Jareth the Goblin King wasn't set in stone for David Bowie ("Terry, write a script that's random and British and David Bowie in it!"). Sting and Michael Jackson were both considered to play Jareth. Imagine the distracting package situation if that happened. :gonk: Imagine how different the music would be! (Bowie scored the entire soundtrack, y'know.) That could have been an awesome topic to discuss/make fun of.

I'd be interested in what you guys would think about a similar movie brought to us partially by the Jim Henson company: Return to Oz. There's FAR less widespread nostalgia associated with it, probably because very few people even know about it, especially compared to Labyrinth. It's also surprisingly hosed up for a children's movie and shows how the 80s didn't give a gently caress about scarring little kids. It also came out the year before Labyrinth! The 80s were a busy time for puppets.

And by the way, you guys did a fantastic impression of Bowie. Amazing.

ninja edit: Oh hay, I didn't notice I just recently got mentioned in this thread, haha. Sup. :burger:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Thanks for listening! I always appreciate detailed responses and feedback about our episodes, since we honestly don't get it much.

For what it's worth, Labyrinth was one of our very earliest episodes - we were still getting the format and tone down, and the way we approach these films has definitely improved in the 70-some episodes we've done since then.

Also, to be completely honest, we only have the guests that we are available to work with; our guest for the episode was admittedly not the most talkative or informative (we've had guests/friends of ours say "Oh, I love that movie, I'd love to talk about it!" but then admit that they haven't seen it in ten years, which makes talking about scenes they don't even remember very difficult).

You also have to keep in mind that many of the remarks we make about the movie ("anime" hair, Hogwarts, etc.) are statements made in jest, and not legitimate misinformation or mistakes about the movie. We're not trying to be a film school, but instead a mildly-informative yet mostly-conversational roundtable talk about a particular film. We'll definitely cop to our preconceived biases about certain films, but that's just the framework we tend to have toward the movie. Jared in particular is much more curmudgeonly about the film, mostly because of that nostalgia. It can also just be the mood we're in when we watch the movie; things like that can affect anyone's reaction to a film.

Either way, I'm really glad you enjoy the podcast (for the most part) so far; I haven't thought about that episode in more than a year, so it's interesting to reflect on how much we've changed since then. (Also, you have no idea how happy we are that someone likes our Bowie impressions.)

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Ahhh, I didn't realize how old that episode actually was! My bad! :doh: Sorry if I gave dated criticism, whoops.

I know firsthand about that guest commentary thing - some folks don't translate to podcasts as well as they think they will, so that's pretty forgivable. And I understand that most of the silly remarks are meant to be silly, but perhaps it's just hard for me to hear certain ones that way... possibly because I feel like it's hard to make fun of Labyrinth for being frivolous because it seems to embrace that. For example: Making fun of 2012 is great because (I'm under the impression that) that movie played it pretty straight. But if someone were to critique, say, an older James Bond movie for not being realistic, that's crazy talk that's missing the point. Or getting caught up on nitpicky details when the bigger picture isn't affected at all by it. I dunno, I think it crossed the line a few times into that weird territory for me. But anyway, this might all be obvious stuff that you've tweaked since then and might not relevant anymore anyway~ :buddy:

Also, I daresay that you might want to watch more Bowie movies just to have an excuse to do more Bowie impressions.

• Locked thread