Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

retromonk
Nov 5, 2009

Verveces tui similes pro ientaculo mihi appositi sunt
I forgot Yuzo Koshiro did the music for LotW.

Is there any work he's done that isn't good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

retromonk posted:

I know the Streets of Rage 3 soundtrack is pretty controversial, and I can see a lot of people not caring for the tunes in Beyond Oasis.

I happen to love 'em both, since I am all about the crazyass FM Synth experimentation.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Crosspost from the 3DS thread - TRU has Retro Game Challenge for $8.99!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3588034

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Crosspost from the 3DS thread - TRU has Retro Game Challenge for $8.99!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3588034

Looks like it's not actually in stock there.

Yeah, obviously I have a copy but you can't have too many copies of Retro Game Challenge.

On the games I learned about on the show front, I found out yesterday that Irritating Stick had a PS1 port that was released in the US. Now I must have it.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 15, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh, crap. Hopefully someone will let you price-match it, I guess.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Even though it seems to be sold by only third party sellers (so I dunno if it'll work), I put in a price match request to Amazon since they seem pretty good about price matching stuff on sale at other stores.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

The White Dragon posted:

See, the thing about Legacy of the Wizard is that if you didn't own it as a kid, you'd imagine you would've played it and played and it played it, slowly progressing until you finally conquered it...

... but those of us who did have it as a kid know that the only thing you really do is play as Pochi until you got bored.

I doubt it: I played a LOT of games back then. I was one of those kids who played games to find all possible secrets and tricks, even if I didn't quite realize the rules (banging your head against a wall will eventually yield answers). Games held a sort of magical illusion over me that fed my imagination to come up with solutions to obtuse puzzles.

Granted, I appreciate the old, cryptic games better now when I'm an adult with a more objective perspective.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

retromonk posted:

His really recent videogame stuff (everything after Dance Dance Revolution) is probably some of the most unconventional, atmospheric and engrossing music in modern gaming :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AJMG5H1hKg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUhwmY1MByk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnDc2Sg4e9U

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Western games are so strange. But perhaps Arino has found one that he can enjoy in Super Donkey Kong Country.

This episode is brought to you by the woman who was prerendered by a farm of SGI stations with almost as much processing power as an iPhone; it's the three-dimensional zari-gani.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 758.27 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Western games are so strange. But perhaps Arino has found one that he can enjoy in Super Donkey Kong Country.

This episode is brought to you by the woman who was prerendered by a farm of SGI stations with almost as much processing power as an iPhone; it's the three-dimensional zari-gani.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 758.27 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Yessss! Also is that Nakayama? :gonk:

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Sweeeeet! DKC is pretty much my girlfriend's favorite game, I can't wait to force her to sit through this with me tonight. I kinda hope they do DKC2 someday, I liked it a lot more than the first.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you for the DKC translation! Can't wait for part 2. Best part was when Arino was carefully planning his approach in Stop & Go station and then promptly fell off the cliff even without making the jump...

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 16, 2012

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That was a great episode, I still hate that game as much today as I did when I first played it. Wasps and loving barrels! :argh:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
This. This is gonna be a good Saturday.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh man, consider me super excited. I've been hoping for this episode pretty much since I got into GCCX, thank you!

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011
I never liked DKC (except the music), but I usually enjoy watching it for whatever reason. This will hopefully be a good one. Thanks, team!

Oh, if only this worked on older games...

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

:stonk:

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Awesome episode. Like Erwin, I can't imagine playing DKC any time soon but it's always somewhat cruel fun to watch someone else go through it. :devil:

Man, did Arino look much more wrecked than usual by the end of this ep? He was having fun, but he was very visibly sweating and knackered by 12:20.

And now I want some Okonomiyaki.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Azazell0 posted:

Thank you for the DKC translation! SPOILER. Best part was when ANOTHER SPOILER

Aww, c'mon.

MikeTheWarrior
May 31, 2006
Butts on the internet
Super Donkey Kong Country is an amazing game, and I'm grateful to the SAGCCX for releasing it on my birthday of all days, both for nostalgia and greatness that is Game Center CX. Go Arino go :unsmith:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Can you not save in the Japanese version?

E: Oh, I forgot you had to save at Candy Kong. Been awhile since I've played.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 16, 2012

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the awesome work and everything, but could I make one request? On the torrents, I don't like that I have to put each episode in a season folder. If I try to delete the folder, then the client re-adds it before letting me download the ep and I have to stop seeding the episode to maintain folder parity. Could future episodes not have the folder selection in the torrent? Thanks again.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
what you need to do is just change the hyphen to a slash. then you get Game Center CX\Season 10, which is what I've been doing and if it changes my doctor says I will suffer a critical sperg attack. Please don't change it.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Vlaphor posted:

Thanks for the awesome work and everything, but could I make one request? On the torrents, I don't like that I have to put each episode in a season folder. If I try to delete the folder, then the client re-adds it before letting me download the ep and I have to stop seeding the episode to maintain folder parity. Could future episodes not have the folder selection in the torrent? Thanks again.

Many torrent clients let you change the destination directory before you start your download. I use uTorrent and it lets me do this. This seems a lot easier than asking SA-GCCX to change the naming convention they've been using across the board in all of their torrents prior to this.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Hokuto posted:

Many torrent clients let you change the destination directory before you start your download. I use uTorrent and it lets me do this. This seems a lot easier than asking SA-GCCX to change the naming convention they've been using across the board in all of their torrents prior to this.

I'm using utorrent as well and when I try to change the folder, it changes it back to what it was.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Vlaphor posted:

I'm using utorrent as well and when I try to change the folder, it changes it back to what it was.

In uTorrent you can right click the actual file after selecting the torrent and choose "Relocate..." to change where it's being saved and by what name (while still being able to seed it after it finishes)

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

In uTorrent you can right click the actual file after selecting the torrent and choose "Relocate..." to change where it's being saved and by what name (while still being able to seed it after it finishes)

That didn't work for me, but I still managed to get something else working.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What music is used for the 'Everything I Needed to Know I Learned From Strategy Guides' segment?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm hoping I'm not spoiling anything by saying this, but:

Holy moly I had forgotten how much sheer bullshit Mine Cart Carnage is. :stare: I don't think present-me could ever actually beat DKC. :(

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I'm kind of surprised that after he beat it once, nobody came by to show him the shortcut that lets you skip almost straight to the end of the level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6D9jKbHLCk

There's also a similar shortcut for Stop & Go Station. :goleft:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnhP6iL_UaQ

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Alpha3KV posted:

I'm kind of surprised that after he beat it once, nobody came by to show him the shortcut that lets you skip almost straight to the end of the level.

:stare: :tizzy:

I know smiley-only replies are frowned upon but what the gently caress else can I say?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Alpha3KV posted:

You have got to be loving kidding me.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
You guys did another amazing job on DKC part 1. I actually forgot how brutal this game can get pretty early on since I haven't really played it in years (I did test a copy I bought from some girl selling her or likely an ex-boyfriend's SNES and a bunch of games, including DKC2 which I've also played before, on Craigslist).

I can't wait for part 2 even though this is another challenge I've already seen. :)

Also, I totally want to play that minigame in The Chief is a Great Detective that involves chasing down Abe on a bike since the concept sounds loving amazing.

Alpha3KV posted:

I think I remember discovering that years ago back when the game was new-ish (maybe a year old at the most), but it's been so long that I thought I dreamt it or something.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, sorry about the spoiler. Edited it for future reference.

Count me in with those who never even knew about those shortcuts. I never had this game as a kid, but rather only played it quite recently. It's still unfinished for me... (I'm not as good a player as I remember being as a kid).

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 16, 2012

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Obeast posted:

Also, I totally want to play that minigame in The Chief is a Great Detective that involves chasing down Abe on a bike since the concept sounds loving amazing.

Dont forget Arino going Vroom Vroom! during the chase

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Given how Arino plays, I'm kind of surprised he didn't find that one himself.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Haven't watched the episode, but the first DKC is full of those shortcuts. Some years back I remember playing with my friend and getting stuck in one of the snow levels for ages, then at one point I accidentally fell into some random pit and it took me to the end. :toot:

Also anyone not loving the DKC series is obviously crazy.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Sweeeeet! DKC is pretty much my girlfriend's favorite game, I can't wait to force her to sit through this with me tonight. I kinda hope they do DKC2 someday, I liked it a lot more than the first.

Are you me because I've got the exact same thing going on. She loves DKC, I think the second one is much better.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I dunno how many people here followed this, but there was a fighting game charity tournament called Arcade Relief that just ended early due to the building it was held in being over occupied (people can still donate, though). It was to financially support the guy who ran two Los Angeles area arcades for nearly 40 years that are shutting down at the end of this year due to the owner's health/financial issues. One of them is Japan Arcade where the LA meetup happened. The event was held at the other arcade he owns called Family Fun Arcade, so I didn't know until I just read the website.

I'm pretty sad that this and Southtown Arcade are closing since I planned on checking them out if/when I were in the areas. At least Musée Mécanique in SF is still open for now, so all is not all lost. V:shobon:V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Obeast posted:

I dunno how many people here followed this, but there was a fighting game charity tournament called Arcade Relief that just ended early due to the building it was held in being over occupied (people can still donate, though). It was to financially support the guy who ran two Los Angeles area arcades for nearly 40 years that are shutting down at the end of this year due to the owner's health/financial issues. One of them is Japan Arcade where the LA meetup happened. The event was held at the other arcade he owns called Family Fun Arcade, so I didn't know until I just read the website.

I'm pretty sad that this and Southtown Arcade are closing since I planned on checking them out if/when I were in the areas. At least Musée Mécanique in SF is still open for now, so all is not all lost. V:shobon:V

Actually, as it turns out Japan Arcade will NOT be closing, which is great news.