Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Best craigslist encounter ever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

gently caress. I live in Arlington, that's right here. I gotta come up with some poo poo to sell on Craigslist. :stare:

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

drat, I need to reevaluate the contribution to my 401k plan.

Epic lunch run.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

A Good Dad :3:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I never knew those were hatches, that must make them actually quite practical...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

InitialDave posted:

I never knew those were hatches, that must make them actually quite practical...

The space isn't quite flat, but yeah, lots of space behind the seats.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Hit another PH meet today, this time at Goodwood:

On the way home we went through some respectable English villages...

:v:

Mystery car: What is this thing? We were guessing a Marcos:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

Mystery car: What is this thing? We were guessing a Marcos:

Yeah, it's a 1960s Marcos, but being kit cars makes them an utter sod to identify properly. I'm going to take a punt and say it's one of the ones running a Ford 4-pot - those are Lotus Elan rear lights, which is right for one of those.

Edit: I don't think these are repeats.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 16, 2012

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Nothing wrong with riding without a front plate, I've been doing it for 8 years and have yet to get pulled over for it.

Is there something odd about this picture or do the blades deflect that much while in motion?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Nothing wrong with riding without a front plate, I've been doing it for 8 years and have yet to get pulled over for it.

Is there something odd about this picture or do the blades deflect that much while in motion?

I'm sure it'll be because of rolling shutter on a phone or something like that?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

veedubfreak posted:

That's just how cell phone cameras work. Things that are moving very quickly get strange effects applied to them since the entire image isn't taken all at once. I believe it's called rolling shutter effect.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Safety Dance posted:

That's just how cell phone cameras work. Things that are moving very quickly get strange effects applied to them since the entire image isn't taken all at once. I believe it's called rolling shutter effect.

I just want to pet the droopy propeller one :(

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

This is one of my favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVwmtwZLG88

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
You've got to respect the nutterdom behind whoever drove that MX-5 speedster there in December weather.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

drgitlin posted:

You've got to respect the nutterdom behind whoever drove that MX-5 speedster there in December weather.

Run a duct from the HVAC vents to the inside of your clothes and a full face helmet :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I thought those things were supposed to resist body roll, or was that just the DS?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I thought those things were supposed to resist body roll, or was that just the DS?
No, the 2CV, Ami and Dyane roll like bastards, they just do a good job of resisting what you would think was inevitable. They really don't have enough traction to roll before they slide unless something astounding happens.

Kind of like double-decker buses. Watching those on a skidpan is :psyduck:.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbLy8KZQwtk

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 17, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Only Citrons with hydropneumatic suspension resist roll and only really from the XM on, when they added extra suspension spheres that would stiffen up under cornering.

The ultimate version of this was the Xantia Activa, which combined the additional spheres with computer control, resulting in a comfortable car that would nonetheless go through the infamous Swedish moose test faster than a Porsche 996 GT2.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 17, 2012

PreacherNutshot
Dec 8, 2005
I love children, but I can't eat a whole one.

You'd be surprised what you can fit in the back of a sports car. Gifts for 7 and clothes for 2 weeks.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

PreacherNutshot posted:

You'd be surprised what you can fit in the back of a sports car. Gifts for 7 and clothes for 2 weeks.

Wait are these both your Corvettes? Did you plasti-dip the base stock wheels? It looks like you and someone else had to take a road trip to visit family for the holidays and instead of going together I'm picturing you each racing Corvettes across the country and I have to know more. If you just googled "corvette full of stuff" I'll be sad so make something up.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Awesome or terrible? Beats me. It's not my thing either way but it was in immaculate condition.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Awesome, no doubt about it.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Looks like it belongs in a mob comic or something, I like it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

davebo posted:

Wait are these both your Corvettes?

Same car, different lighting.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

joat mon posted:

Same car, different lighting.

Ahh my mistake, the second looked like the spiral gray metallic color, and I had never seen a liftback with that cloth cover before.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LiquidRain posted:

Awesome or terrible? Beats me. It's not my thing either way but it was in immaculate condition.

This really looks like a cartoon Character. I'm thinking Benders face or maybe that Evil Robot Santa from Futurama.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

jonathan posted:

This really looks like a cartoon Character. I'm thinking Benders face or maybe that Evil Robot Santa from Futurama.
Funny you say that... (though not quite accurate to the original photo I posted)

You can see the real car's backside in this Flickr photo.

(and for the record I have no idea what the car itself is)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 17, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
XJ Cherokees while basically just a lifted station wagon, can fit a silly amount of cargo. Such a weird vehicle those. Mine was lifted 6.5" and was sitting on 33" tires, making it a solid 8 or 9 inches taller, and the roofline was still lower than a Dodge Caravan.

Anyways, I was able to pack in 10 wheels in summit racing boxes, and 2 lift kits packaged in multiple boxes. The best part, I declared it all at the Border coming back into Canada, expecting to pay around $400 in taxes. The border guard says "WHAT ? You fit 10 wheels in that thang ? I ain't doing all that paperwork!" And waved me through.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

LiquidRain posted:

This is what they call a lead sled, and they are awesome.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

VikingSkull posted:

This is what they call a lead sled, and they are awesome.

I'd never heard that term before. Thank you.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

88h88 posted:

I'd never heard that term before. Thank you.

:eng101: They used to use lead as filler where we'd use Bondo or something now.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Here's a good demo of lead filler

See the dude in the red jacket? That's Bill Hines. He's completely hosed up from decades using the stuff, and smoking a cigar while he gives no fucks. Safety gear is a must nowadays, never ignore it.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So the ad I got for that link was about substance abuse.

Also 23 years of wiping lead with a towel with no gloves might do that too.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 18, 2012

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I like at the start where he reminisces about the days before they stopped using mercury as an additive.

Jesus, old timers were loving crazy.

"Lemme heat up this lead and mercury"

*lights cigar with torch*

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He's 90 years old and still working, it can't be that terrible. :clint:

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

I like the reflection on the hood.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Here's a good demo of lead filler

See the dude in the red jacket? That's Bill Hines. He's completely hosed up from decades using the stuff, and smoking a cigar while he gives no fucks. Safety gear is a must nowadays, never ignore it.

Best bit is around 8:30 when he relights his cigar using the torch before he turns it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Powershift posted:

He's 90 years old and still working, it can't be that terrible. :clint:

The old timer at our shop has been standing in a cloud of dust from cleaning off rims for about 36 years breathing gently caress knows what. When I started bringing a dust mask he jokes "what you dont want to die?! But seriously that's a good idea, I've never seen that before" :stare: