Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Zereth posted:

... Okay. I'm reading this correctly, right? His "Four Dark Gods of Destruction" are... those hamsters?

:psyduck:

BEST.

CHARACTER.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
At last we're hearing Gundam speak. And he does not disappoint. :allears:

Souda reminds me of Leon in some ways, and of Hagakure in some other ways, but this expression kinda weirds me out:

Dat tongue. Those teeth. :stare:

He does seem like a pretty chill and (oddly) friendly guy though.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I don't think anything in the design of Radagast the Purple would have prepared me for that sort of voice or the hamsters, but goddamn. I would love to know the thought process behind them creating this character.

My suspicions are that the huge guy with the electric eyebrows and the grey-haired girl with the constantly wind-machined hair would have ridiculous stories too, but I don't know if they can even top this guy.

E:

orenronen posted:

Gundam Tanaka: Super High-school Level Animal Breeder

Hahahahahaha oh my god this guy is the best, look at that dogge.

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 16, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

orenronen posted:

Gyaaahahaha! Very well then! I will tell you my name! Prepare yourself!

Before you stands Gundam Tanaka. Do not forget that name... When I rule the world, to do so will be to invite death.

Gundam Tanaka: Super High-school Level Animal Breeder

"Animal Breeder" was probably the last thing I'd have guessed, but that just makes him all the more bad rear end.

Zereth posted:

... Okay. I'm reading this correctly, right? His "Four Dark Gods of Destruction" are... those hamsters?

:psyduck:

Do you dare challenge the might of the Four Dark Hamsters Gods of Destruction? :colbert:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

So Willard's on the island. I have to admit, "death by hamster" would be pretty hilarious.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Oh man, I didn't expect to be sold on both of their personalities so quickly.

It's a shame that they both only have a 33% chance of survival. :smith:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I honestly expected the huge guy to be 'Gundam.' I must have missed the little guy for some reason.

And for some other reason I half expected him to claim he was a wizard or a sorcerer or something. It's just the vibe I get from him; to find out he's a weird Invader Zim type that deals with hamsters is sort of funny.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Bellmaker posted:

So Willard's on the island. I have to admit, "death by hamster" would be pretty hilarious.

I'm hoping the hamsters turn out to be key witnesses as some point.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I want Kazuichi executed solely because he voiced Dio in VLR. Gundam though has an army of hamsters, and I think that's the kind of thing we can all support. I don't know if I can get behind him as best character yet though, Nagito's constant appealing for hope from our pessimist protagonist is endearing him to me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tomokazu Sugita finally got a Gundam (Tanaka) of his very own. Yes, there's an inside joke in that character's name and voice actor casting but there are probably people more qualified to deliver it than I.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Crowetron posted:

I'm hoping the hamsters turn out to be key witnesses as some point.

Oh no, I have a horrible feeling they're going to be playing the chicken role at some point now :ohdear:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Gundam is completely unhinged. This is fantastic. Maybe between his four Dark Gods of Destruction and Souda's mechanical expertise they can make a hamster powered engine and fly home!

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
All right, I'm going to do the two we've been introduced to.

Gundam: Appearence and his voice imply more of a Super High School Level Badass, his voice patterns seem straight out of a big Shonen anime, and I'm surprised to hell about the animals. It's a pleasent surprise, especially when you consider that this proves that the Dangan Ronpa cast are trying to go against expectations. :golfclap:

Souda: I expected a "Super High School Level Grafiti Artist" If anything from this guy, if only because he looks kind of scary. A mechanic, though, is interesting enough to consider. If there's any issues with the machinery, he can easily fix it, especially if they find the engiens.

Edit: Removed these and I'll resay this later, once we're introduced. I'm sorry about that.

I'm not on the same "Gundam is awesome" side as most people, mostly because I'm not a big fan of his hammy Over-the-top Shonenness, but the moment he was revealed to be an animal breeder (OR whatever it was in japanese) I went 'daw' and he's right above depressing as heck Hinata for my best character
Gundam>Hinata>Naegi>Monami>Souda, for the characters we actually kind of know, although none of them are really 'hated'.

HangedManArcana fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 16, 2012

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Autumncomet posted:

This rule seems to be suggesting that Usami can't really punish the students like Monobear did, if I'm reading it right. There seems to be no mention of punishment at all in the rules, in fact.

All of the rules seem pretty benevolent, but let's take a closer look at them:

orenronen posted:

Rule no. 1
Excess violence is forbidden on this island. Let's live peacefully and quietly together.

Note that it says "excess" violence. I don't know if that's a translation artifact, but if not it suggests that there's a certain level of acceptable violence.

orenronen posted:

Rule no. 2
Let's gather "Hope Shards" by deepening our bonds with our friends.

Nothing really bad about this one, apart from the fact that it'll hurt a lot more when it's your friends you have to murder/be murdered by/witness the murder of/put on trial.

Also, does this mean you are OBLIGATED to make friends with people? What happens if you don't?

orenronen posted:

Rule no. 3
Throwing garbage and damaging the environment is forbidden. Let's live in harmony with nature on this beautiful island.

Probably also forbids the destruction of any dangerous wildlife/plants/etc. Also, how severe will the punishment be if someone does this? Maybe we'll have our Junko-style early kill when someone drops a candy wrapper.

orenronen posted:

Rule no. 4
The supervising teacher will not interfere directly with student activities, unless any rules are broken.

"You can do whatever you want and I won't stop you unless you're littering or hurting each other too much." That's kind of an unfortunate rule.

I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill here, but those rules must exist to be subverted. It's just a question of how and when.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
This hand of mine is burning red! Its loud roar tells me to RAISE ANIMALS!

Sugita is one of my favorite male voice actors simply because he's having so much fun at work, which usually leads to some very impressive performances. Add to that the fact that he called the original Dangan Ronpa one of his favorite games of 2010, and you got yourself the best animal breeder you've ever seen.

And I guess I can repost this from the general discussion thread now:
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=manga&illust_id=31341518

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, I think I found my favorite character in this game, sorry Togami. Gundam so far seems like he'll be one of the comedic characters in this game, sort of like Hagakure in the first. Especially where Hagakure never realized how ridiculous he sounded.

Pyradox posted:

Got to agree - Gundam is amazing. Anyone who can summon hamsters from nowhere is a shoe in for best character.

I notice both character's we've been introduced to so far have talents that would be useful in rebuilding society. Even Nagito seems to be stepping into the hope role pretty quickly. It's early to tell but that'd make a lot of sense as a theme, assuming this does indeed take place chonologically after the events of the first game.

That said, I can't wait until we find out Togami's excuse for being back here.

That's an interesting idea. A mechanic and animal breeder would definitely be useful in rebuilding society. Maybe that'll be the theme of most of the students, and this is another supposedly televised game like Dangan Ronpa, only this time these are people with talents that could help the world instead of being SHSL Swimmer?

Although how is a SHSL Heir or SHSL Good Luck going to help the world out in a post-apocalyptic scenario?

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
I hate to admit it, but I squeed over that. I can't wait until we get more fanart, or in this case fan Plushies.
Souda in the official art is just as laid back and cool looking, and Gundam... Gundam is the over the top bad rear end with animals like he's been. Awesome!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

quote:

Rule no. 3
Throwing garbage and damaging the environment is forbidden. Let's live in harmony with nature on this beautiful island.

Why, hello, Chekhov's Rule.

I definitely think someone's gonna get punished for breaking this rule, possibly lethally.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

HangedManArcana posted:

All right, I'm going to do the two we've been introduced to, and the two that I've looked on the Tindeck account and found.

The fact that I uploaded some voice clips to tindeck before putting them in an update doesn't mean you can spoil them.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

"You can do whatever you want and I won't stop you unless you're littering or hurting each other too much." That's kind of an unfortunate rule.

I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill here, but those rules must exist to be subverted. It's just a question of how and when.
You raise some good points. It's just that, like Souda says, on the surface, Usami seems really nice and unwilling to hurt the students or let them be hurt. I absolutely expect these rules to be subverted and twisted by the murderers in the future (otherwise, no murder mystery game), but it seems like they were intended to keep the peace, as their surface reading suggests. The other side of this could be that Usami is just putting on an act and fully expects the students to exploit loopholes in the rules, but if so, she's doing a much better job than Monobear of hiding it.

edit: And yeah, rule 3 is just begging to be broken.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

quote:

That’s rather a pessimistic attitude, isn’t it? Don’t you think you should have more... hope... than that?
This line is absolutely hilarious. The developers are REALLY having fun with this pseudo-Naegi.

He's behaving like a parody of Naegi, notably a slight exaggeration of his "gets along with everyone" personality. Naegi had very few rough edges (he got forceful when it mattered) and here they've apparently been shaved off, leaving someone... aggressively bland? I'm not quite reading him clearly.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Autumncomet posted:

You raise some good points. It's just that, like Souda says, on the surface, Usami seems really nice and unwilling to hurt the students or let them be hurt. I absolutely expect these rules to be subverted and twisted by the murderers in the future (otherwise, no murder mystery game), but it seems like they were intended to keep the peace, as their surface reading suggests. The other side of this could be that Usami is just putting on an act and fully expects the students to exploit loopholes in the rules, but if so, she's doing a much better job than Monobear of hiding it.

edit: And yeah, rule 3 is just begging to be broken.

I'm guessing the rules will change when Usami transforms into her alter ego, Monomi (whom we see standing with Monobear on the title screen.) Maybe this will happen once rule 3 is broken?

Zhauth
Sep 4, 2012
So let me get this straight.

There's a guy who looks like a ninja, he talks like he's going to take over the world, he's voiced by Kyon in his goofily serious voice, and his name is Gundam, and he turns out to be...
A Super High School Level Hamster Trainer.

This is the best game.

quote:

Rule no. 1
Excess violence is forbidden on this island. Let's live peacefully and quietly together.
I'm getting a very bad feeling about this.

I'm surprised we actually get to see our player character walking around this time.

Fedule posted:

Endless Video? Good god, man, you need to think bigger. Here is Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson as performed by Infinite Jukebox - a fascinating piece of machinery that takes your song and creates not just a dumb loop but an actual, varying, infinite mix. It's wonderful.
This is incredibly fun to play around with. Thank you.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Ratoslov posted:

Why, hello, Chekhov's Rule.

I definitely think someone's gonna get punished for breaking this rule, possibly lethally.

Didn't they have a similar thing in the first game, "you can't kill more than 2 at a time" was it? In any case one of those rules that sounded like a massive hint but never actually became anything.

Also what will happen to the hamsters if (when) that guy gets offed? :ohdear:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Folt The Bolt posted:

At last we're hearing Gundam speak. And he does not disappoint. :allears:

Souda reminds me of Leon in some ways, and of Hagakure in some other ways, but this expression kinda weirds me out:

Dat tongue. Those teeth. :stare:

He does seem like a pretty chill and (oddly) friendly guy though.

I think he's meant to remind us of Syo, especially with an expression like that.

SuRoXT
Feb 13, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
I hope that the Climax Interference artstyle stays the same between games.
These characters are just begging to be portrayed in that edgy over-dramatic style.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Anyone who said that this was getting too cartoonish and self-induldgent seems to have been right. Not to sound (too) whiny, but I'm pretty sure every student in DR was introduced in a third of the linespace Gundam here got. Or maybe I just don't like his gimmick.

Souda is cool though. His design is great, because it contrasts with and thus emphasises his chillness. We already have many intensely emotional characters, so a chill blue-collar type is refreshing.

While I see where you're coming from (I also like mechanic guy), I don't know about more self-indulgent. I already prefer Gundam to Hagakure, since I find him actually funny while Hagakure was just some guy who spouted random one-liners and spawned an "AliensJunkos" meme. Or Yamada, with his many long speeches on doujin culture.

Redmark fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 16, 2012

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Oh my god. Gundam is better than I could have expected. Unlike the rest of the thread, I get huge Ishimaru vibes from him.

orenronen posted:

In other words... yes, dear reader, your suspicion is correct.

What was this referring to?

draconianlaw
Oct 21, 2012

Loaded with logic. Literally.
Oh, Gundam. Oh, Gundam. Although the best part about him so far?

orenronen posted:

Hates: Earthly existence

Normal likes? Normal dislikes?
NO. GUNDAM TANAKA JUST WANTS TO WATCH THE WORLD BURN.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

What was this referring to?

Pretty sure it's referring to the suspicions that his name is a reference to the anime series.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The world map seems neat. Running around on a horizontal plain to go between different locations seems a bit more practical than having to hunt down stairs in first person view. That is, assuming you want to walk everywhere to raise that pet.

I'm not sure I get Nagito. He claims to be a bit pessimistic then starts lecturing Hinata about pessimism?

I'm liking how Hinata's reacting to the outrageous stuff he's run into so far. Doesn't seem like he'll be super accepting of things or want to go along with plans. Nice contrast from Naegi and Nagito.

We seem to be getting a hope shard simply by introducing ourselves to other characters, so it looks like you'll only actually have to work for five of them? Though I wonder if there's more stand-offish people like Togami who wouldn't immediately give you a hope shard.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is it bad I like the mechanic more? I mean yeah hamsters and dark lords are funny, but it's nice to see a character that's just kinda relaxed and friendly, which thinking about it now I don't think any of the guys from the last game aside from Naegi were.

I wonder if Gundam got his ideas from all the manga he probably ripped up for birdcages :v:

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

orenronen posted:

Hear what "Mirage Silver Falcon" Jum-P, one of my Four Dark Gods of Destruction, has to say:
"Do not anger us!” You should heed this warning, insignificant one. You will not find these four... merciful.

What? WHAT? :psyduck:

I have to say, I was not expecting Minsc to show up on this island. I was expecting... I don't know what I was expecting. But this was NOT on that list.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

quote:

quote:

Nagito Komaeda: Super High-school Level Good Luck

quote:

That’s rather a pessimistic attitude, isn’t it? Don’t you think you should have more... hope... than that?

This is about as subtle as a brick to the face. There's pretty much no chance that he's going to live up to any expectations they've set up for him unless they went off the deep end and this game isn't like DR1 at all. I'm guessing Totally-Not-Naegi is going to be the first one offed, they could do a nice little tie-in and say he was actually SSHL bad luck or whatever since someone with good luck wouldn't have been brought to the school (the complete opposite of Naegi's situation in the first game). I'm really liking how so far the game's using a bunch of little visual cues to remind us of old characters from DR1 and then going "ha ha, you chumps thought they would be familiar didn't you"

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Animal Breeder was... unexpected, but holy poo poo this is the best character currently. I'm expecting him to be topped by the chef though.

And look at this guy! Think of how many ways he can use those hamsters to assist in his murders.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

HGH posted:

I'm not sure I get Nagito. He claims to be a bit pessimistic then starts lecturing Hinata about pessimism?

I'm starting to wonder whether Nagito's 'I can't help having some negative feelings. It's a bad habit of mine' line wasn't putting himself down for having a generally pessimistic outlook, but was instead putting himself down for having any negative feelings ever. Maybe Nagito believes in constant optimism, in which case even occasional negative feelings would be a failing in his eyes. I suppose we'll get a better idea of Nagito's outlook soon enough, though.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Didn't they have a similar thing in the first game, "you can't kill more than 2 at a time" was it? In any case one of those rules that sounded like a massive hint but never actually became anything.

There was the rule about not going into the cafeteria after dark which never developed into anything.

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011

Tax Refund posted:

What? WHAT? :psyduck:

I have to say, I was not expecting Minsc to show up on this island. I was expecting... I don't know what I was expecting. But this was NOT on that list.

Even stranger, a villainous Minsc!

I can't wait to see more of Gundam's sprites, especially if the hamsters appear in every single one from now on. :allears:

I'm curious about if the tamagotchi pet will actually tie into the rest of the game at all. My initial thought was that the despair/ hope system was all for show considering how linear the last game is, but with the footstep mechanic added it does actually look like it can vary from play through to play through.

Catastrophics fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 16, 2012

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011

Rith posted:

I'm starting to wonder whether Nagito's 'I can't help having some negative feelings. It's a bad habit of mine' line wasn't putting himself down for having a generally pessimistic outlook, but was instead putting himself down for having any negative feelings ever. Maybe Nagito believes in constant optimism, in which case even occasional negative feelings would be a failing in his eyes. I suppose we'll get a better idea of Nagito's outlook soon enough, though.

Nagito gives me Kirigiri's vibe but at the same time he seems to be more social with other people. I think him being pessimistic was an act in order to get friendly with Hinata and him talking about hope was an act of being concerned.

Anyway, I can't help thinking that he is a cold calculative type of character who considers his every spoken line depending on a person he talks to, thus keeping his true feelings on the matter only to himself. I'm probably quick to coming to conclusions though.

MrCinos fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterid
Feb 20, 2012

As much as Gundum is cool with his adorable hamsters, I like Souda more overall since he seems friendly and relaxed. Plus, he has bright pink hair.

Although, his chances for survival are probably low because he's nice. :smith:

• Locked thread