Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

ManSedan posted:

I just got Arkham City. Hit me.

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Batman:_Arkham_City

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
Question about Final Fantasy VI

Just started playing, currently at Lethe River. I've played about this far and a little further before, but I've never beat the game.

I know that I want to remain as low a level as possible until a certain point in the game, but does the game make that point explicitly obvious?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Kind of. The reason people recommend staying at a low level early on is that eventually you'll come across a mechanic that allows you to gain stats when you level up. By staying low level you'll have more opportunities to increase your stats. The point when this happens will be obvious, but honestly don't sweat it. FF6 is pretty easy and there's no need to metagame that hard.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Question about Final Fantasy VI

Just started playing, currently at Lethe River. I've played about this far and a little further before, but I've never beat the game.

I know that I want to remain as low a level as possible until a certain point in the game, but does the game make that point explicitly obvious?

Beaten, but the only stats that go up on their own when you level up are Max HP and Max MP. However, having certain kinds of Magicite equipped when you level up will cause one of your "core" stats (Strength, Speed, Vitality, Magic) to also go up. As such the lower level you are when these Magicite become available, the more chances you have to pump your stats. But again, this game is easy enough where no min-maxing is needed.

Perfect painting
Nov 27, 2011

ManSedan posted:

I just got Arkham City. Hit me.

Don't mash buttons in combat. If you're attacking, push the button once, wait for batman's hit to connect, and then go from there taking each press one at a time. It seems weird at first but there's actually an upgrade you'll get fairly early on that will encourage you to do this. The only exception is countering, sometimes you'll get 2 or 3 dudes attacking you at once and you need to press counter the appropriate number of times not to get hit.

Do the Augmented Reality missions asap until you get a new gadget. The ones afterward are more difficult but you don't get much for completing them.

You can get a surprising number of riddler trophies using only the equipment you start out with, but there are definitely some you need to backtrack for.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

do girls poop posted:

The only exception is countering, sometimes you'll get 2 or 3 dudes attacking you at once and you need to press counter the appropriate number of times not to get hit.

Even if you are only countering one attack, you can press the counter button multiple times. It's a habit I got into when playing NG+, just because I was bad at spotting simultaneous attacks. Every time you get attacked, if you triple press the counter button, you will be much, much less vulnerable to multiple attacks later in the game.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

do girls poop posted:

Do the Augmented Reality missions asap until you get a new gadget. The ones afterward are more difficult but you don't get much for completing them.

It's not a bad idea to do them all right away; the ones after the gadget are a pretty good way to learn some fancy gliding techniques.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Male Man posted:

It's not a bad idea to do them all right away; the ones after the gadget are a pretty good way to learn some fancy gliding techniques.
Which you won't ever need in the actual game except maybe for a handful of Riddler trophies (and not everyone bothers with these to begin with), so don't sweat it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Any tips for The Real Texas?

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Anything for Epic Mickey 2?

Is it like the first one where you can't really backtrack?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I nabbed Planetside 2. Any of you guys got some tips? Or should I take this to its thread?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Just picked up Assassin's Creed 3. anything I should know?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

BrightWing posted:

I nabbed Planetside 2. Any of you guys got some tips? Or should I take this to its thread?

The 'new player' experience is a hilariously crappy placeholder for a real tutorial they will add in a few months. Suffer through it and die in confusion, then respawn somewhere else and get your bearings with regards to the UI and everything.

Play in an outfit with people you know or one of the goon ones. They know their poo poo and they will give you a bit of terra firma to learn from instead of you just farting around a huge battle on your own getting sniped. Plus it is just more fun.

Station cash (SOE's fun money) is not a bad deal if you grab a bunch on a day where there is a double or triple sale. Otherwise, it is probably not worth it to get any unless the money isn't a concern for you. Most guns are 700 SC (7 USD) but if you get it on a triple day, its about 2.40 which is more reasonable. I've spent a fair amount of SC on guns because I have limited time to accumulate the mass of certs (earned points) you need to buy guns. You can get a free gun if you buy a fifteen dollar SC card at Gamestop. Alternatively the Walmart cards are worth 2000 SC instead of 1500 like the ones you get anywhere else. The bonus points also double/triple so you can potentially get quadruple points if you cash in a Walmart bought card on a triple SC day. I am new to SOE stuff so I don't really know when these days happen. There was a triple one before the game came out and a double one on Black Friday.

Each faction plays differently, you need to know the limitations of your faction. I play NC which means I need to use burst fire in most situations in order to hit anything. VS and TR have other considerations that I'm not familiar with.

Give it time and play with people. It's a lot easier to get the feel for the ebb and flow of the battles if you are paired up with somebody who knows their poo poo, for example, being a tank gunner so you can just sorta ride along. It seems overwhelming at first but before long you will know how to read the battles.

Before you make any major cert/SC purchase (a gun or pricy upgrade), it's probably not a bad idea to ask in the PS2 thread to see if its currently bugged or underpowered or if there is another choice that is objectively better. It's a work in progress so there are some guns that are just plain useless.

Performance/FPS issues can really make you ineffective in large battles. I don't have any real issues but if you do, ask around the thread/outfit for tweaks that might help.

To change continents, go to a warpgate and then look towards the rear of the facility, there should be terminals with globes over them. Use those to switch to one of the other two continents.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

BrightWing posted:

Seriously, just join a goon outfit and take directions and ask questions in mumble. Its a social game and if you're not a creep our community is usually excellent.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Any tips on Don't Starve? I wanna figure out most of the game on my own, but if there's something incredibly counter-intuitive or anything of that sort, I'd like a heads-up on that at least. Vague advice that doesn't actually give anything away works, too.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Deep Winter posted:

Just picked up Assassin's Creed 3. anything I should know?
If you're a veteran of the series, "Counter" is no longer the "IWIN" button so combat may be more complex than before, but otherwise the game is pretty good about story-mandated tutorials as before.

As far as naval missions goes, use Take Cover (Square on PS3) whenever you see a red arc emanating from opposing ships, that's them preparing to fire and (at least before the Thanksgiving patch) there was no on-screen prompt for how to take cover until after your ship had already taken damage.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Just starting Dishonored. Anything basic I should know going into it? Anything early on I might miss?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McCoy Pauley posted:

Just starting Dishonored. Anything basic I should know going into it? Anything early on I might miss?

Don't Save Scum.

You'll get an item that lets you see all the secrets on a level, it's pretty chill.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

McCoy Pauley posted:

Go to options and get rid of the objective markers and poo poo.

A 100% no-kill no-detect run dampens the gameplay a bunch. Doing a mostly quiet, but somewhat bloody first run is a much better idea.

Blink up walls. Blink to slow falls. Blink from cover to cover. Blink behind the guy who's chasing you and throttle the guy before he knows what's going on.

The enemies in the prologue count for the non-lethal achievement. Just keep blocking their blows and they'll gently caress off after a while.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

You can kill a few dudes and still keep chaos low.

The first thing you buy with your runes should be the second level of Blink.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

McCoy Pauley posted:

-As said before, the second level of blink is supremely useful.
-Only turn off objective markers and stuff if you enjoy that sort of experience. It really doesn't ruin anything if you can locate secret doodads more easily
-Bone charms are generated randomly. They'll always be in the same place, but you won't always get the same one. I think it's done at the start of the game though, so don't trying save scumming or something.
-The bone charm capcacity upgrades are very useful
-If going non-lethal, don't bother with gun upgrades for obvious reasons. Crossbow upgrades (except bolt capacity) are what you want for sleep-darting.
-Don't bother with lethal powers either, of course. Blink, Slow Time, Dark Vision, Possession, and Agility are your bread and butter
-Slow time's first level is almost useless in a non-lethal run, but it's second level is Stop Time and it is super useful.
-The first mask upgrade also functions like a directional microphone and can pick up conversations from a distance if you're zoomed in on the NPCs.
-I don't know if they patched it yet, but there's a bug involving a certain elderly NPC that can gently caress up a non-lethal run. You can avoid it by simply not doing her side-quest when she first shows up.
-Incidentally, that side quest sounds like it would count toward your lethals, but it doesn't.
-You don't have to kill a single person in the game. There are ways to eliminate targets without killing them and the game doesn't go out of its way to hide them. Look and listen.
-There's a sidequest in the first real mission that can be a little confusing for some people. You have to get a person to safety. This involves saving them in the first place, then knocking them out and carrying them to a specified dumpster marked with a waypoint.
-There's a bug (again, don't know if patched) that actually does this for you. Non-vague spoilers forthwith:Save from the rafters after switching/dumping the glasses, then reload after the dialogue involving them. When you reload, there's a good chance all the NPCs will just charge out and the one that needed saving will automatically save himself.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

BrightWing posted:

Experiment with the different vehicles and find something you like. Same with infantry, play around with the different classes before you commit. Most people tend to spec in a class and a vehicle before expanding out.

There are three continents. You can use the terminal at the warpgates to switch through them or by accessing hotspots on your map for deployment.

You get free certs just for logging in once a day.

Weapon upgrades are separated by category. For example, you can equip a scope, a grip, and special ammo but not two from the same category.

You cannot respec your certs right now, so you may not want to invest in things until you're sure.

You can trial weapons from the shop. Select Purchase and you will see a blue button on the bottom that will allow you to trail the weapon for about half an hour. You can only trial once every 6 hours, and you cannot trial the same weapon more than once per month.

Ask the thread for more specific class or vehicle advice once you start getting your feet wet.

Finally for the love of god play with people. It's a much better game with a group of people.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
If you are a dopey idiot with too much money like I am, only one decorative item from each category can be equipped on a vehicle. So chassis lights exclude rims because both are in the Misc. category. Make sure you know what goes in what slot first. You can figure this out with the checkboxes in the store. I wasted a good amount of fun dollars by buying rims AND chassis lights AND a big obnoxious grill for my APC. Also if you are thinking about buying funbucks, then supposedly a triple sale is approaching on the 21st.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Anything for The Last Story?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

OilSlick posted:

- Immediately go into the menu and change "Attack Type" from automatic to manual. This will let you attack by pressing the A button in combat rather than attacking with the control stick when you're near an enemy.

- Don't neglect your crossbow! A decently upgraded crossbow with anti-magic bolts can usually one-shot enemy wizards with a well-placed head shot. You can also use it to pick off dangerous enemies before they get too close, or to stall while your mages are casting.

- Everyone can equip every kind of armor, so go with whatever looks cool. Upgrading armor makes it bigger, have more accessories, and just look flashier in general (for example, a heavy chestpiece might start as just a gauntlet, but eventually becomes a full chestplate), and you can change the color of any piece of armor with dye.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Anything for Far Cry 3?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OilSlick posted:

There are plenty of side-chapters lurking in Lazulis City, don't be afraid to go wandering through the town between story chapters. If you see the chapter count jump a few numbers, you've missed a sidequest or two (I'm pretty sure they're not permanently gone, though). Oh, and hunt the frogs. You get some good bonuses.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is more "things I wish I knew before playing this game", but for Persona 4: Golden here is a brief description of the bug-catching and fishing aspects of the game:

1). A boy at the shrine will ask for food or drinks, and if you give him some he'll give you a Tatsuhime Ladybug. You might as well visit him every day and get a Ladybug from him. After a while he'll stop giving them to you, and instead ask about his bug-catching net.

2). Once you have one Tatsuhime Ladybug, visit the pub at night and talk to the owner. She'll give you a fish hook and some bread crumbs. Now you can talk to the old man at the riverbank to get a fishing rod and start fishing.

3). As soon as you have a high enough Courage to enter the shrine at night (I can't remember if it's level 2 or 3), spend one night fishing. You want at least one Red Goldfish, though you might as well get two if your Diligence is high enough as you need a Red Goldfish for another sidequest.

4). In early June, the boy at the shrine will stop asking for food and instead start asking about his missing bug-catching net. This is your clue to check the shrine at night and talk to the lady in white. Give her a Red Goldfish, and then talk to her again to get the net. Talk to the boy again, you've now unlocked the bug-catching minigame.

5). Because the bug-catching minigame doesn't use up time, you should do it every single day. Build up a large inventory of bugs, going at night as well to get different kinds.

6). Visit the pub every single night when possible and feed the fish with whatever she asks for. Eventually she will say her fish is tired of a certain bug, and move on to the next one. Every time this happens, you will get a Ryugu Stone which can not to my knowledge be obtained anywhere else. You want these to buy a experiencing-boosting shinai for the main character.

7). The bugs can of course be used as bait for fishing, and if you catch Genji Ayu and an Amber Seema, you can give those to the lady in white at the shrine. You can now trade fish for stones by talking to her again.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 17, 2012

Velho!
Sep 12, 2011
Just bought a PS3 with my brother and will be blasting through the following games during the holidays:

- Assassin's Creed 1, 2
- Red Dead Redemption
- Uncharted series
- L.A. Noire

Any tips would be appreciated.

EDIT: We will be having limited time to play them, so we probably won't be able to do them all. Any priorities ideas?

Velho! fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 17, 2012

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Velho! posted:

- Assassin's Creed 1
Side missions are both unnecessary and genuinely a good way to get too annoyed to continue with the game. Skip them. In fact, don't feel bad about skipping AC1 in favor of 2 entirely, there's really little you'd be missing. (particularly since your time is limited)

I think the wiki mentions this, but you can safely ignore 90% of the combat stuff in AC1-2 if you can just time your instant kill counter-attacks properly. However, if you're having trouble with a particular fight, running up to a high roof and bashing everyone down to insta-death falls also works.

quote:

- L.A. Noire
I think the wiki mentions this, but still - you don't actually need to chase down and ram fleeing suspects. Just follow them without crashing, and they'll eventually have a scripted crash.

Something that caught me out several times - when you're presenting evidence that someone is a lying, the contradiction has to be incredibly precise. If you have to follow more than one logical step to connect the evidence to the suspect lying, it's probably not going to work.

However, there's really (IIRC) no way to "fail" investigations - you'll get fed the evidence that will let you conclude the case regardless, just not will all the information.

This is a spoiler for the very end of the game in the part where you get the flamethrower, you can just ignore the flamethrower and win the shootout much more easily

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Velho! posted:

- Uncharted series

- Don't turtle, the enemy are good at flanking you and flushing you out of cover using grenades; Make good use of the steel fist. As you run at an enemy, shoot a couple of bullets into him and then melee them when you're close.

-The run and gun autoaim is pretty useful, especially for a late-game enemy in uncharted 1. Blindfiring from cover is pretty useful too, especially if an enemy is advancing on you.

-In U1 only, the brutal combo (square, triangle, square) makes the enemy drop double ammo. Very useful if they've got a powerful/rare gun like the magnum.

-In 2+3, if the enemy haven't spotted you, see if you can get a few stealth kills before altering everyone. Stealth killed goons often drop better guns or an extra grenade or something.

-2 is so much better then 1 it's ridiculous, it improves on literally every aspect of the game. (not to say 1 is bad, of course)

quote:

Red dead redemption

-Do Bonnies missions first, and you'll unlock the lasso.

-Play honourably, you get discounts and better prices for your animal selling. As well as other useful perks.

-In most non-storyline duels, you can shoot the guns out of your opponents hands which gets you more fame/honour.

-One of the ambient challenges requires you to shoot off peoples hats. Aim for the brim or you're going to blow some poor sods brains out.

-When you reach what feels like the postgame, there's one more stranger mission in Blackwater that wraps up the plot.

Edit: If you have undead nightmare (which is awesome) Don`t play it until you`ve finished the main game.

Spalec fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 17, 2012

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Velho! posted:

- Red Dead Redemption

- If you're going to do all the hunting side missions you'll find this helpful https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvM4qe6df-8EdDJYWGJVRExYdzM5UEpCNUxlYXhhMkE&hl=en#gid=0
- Clearing out Gang Hideouts will give you free guns.
- If you want to keep high Honour but still want to be bad go to Thieves' Landing and buy the bandana from the clothing shop. When you wear it you can commit crimes and won't lose Honour (though if you're seen you will still get a bounty on your head. Just shoot everyone.)
- Enjoy yourself. It's one of the best and most atmospheric games of this generation.

- To add to what the Goon above me said, when you have to shoot hats off heads, there is a gang that wears a lot of top hats/stovepipe hats. They hang around in the Saloon in Armadillo, just aim at the top of their hat and it's a cinch.

e: beaten ^^ so edited to avoid repetition.

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 17, 2012

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Anything for Far Cry 3?

Buy the bow. Use the bow. Love the bow. The bow is probably the best early game weapon, it's silent and you can recover your ammo.

When you get rid of outposts enemy respawns more or less disappear in that area forever. You might see a jeep full of pirates if you're lucky, but they're a lot rarer.

There are only two things you can lock yourself out of. There's a relic (spider #1) in the cave under the doctor's house, and there's a skill you can unlock only if you take two outposts without being detected. Don't worry too much about the latter, since the skill unlocks a long ways into the story and by the end of the game taking out outposts without detection is child's play.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Velho! posted:

Just bought a PS3 with my brother and will be blasting through the following games during the holidays:

- Assassin's Creed 1, 2
- Red Dead Redemption
- Uncharted series
- L.A. Noire

Any tips would be appreciated.

EDIT: We will be having limited time to play them, so we probably won't be able to do them all. Any priorities ideas?

If you're pressed for time, skip Assassin's Creed 1 and go straight to 2. The Assassin's Creed formula wasn't well developed in the first game, and it gets dull quickly. You can read a plot summary of the first if you like, but you should be able to follow the story if you jump into 2 blind. If you end up wanting more, track down a copy of AC: Brotherhood.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Hey, so playing partway through epic mickey 2, and I have some advice/tips.

-This game is primarily meant as a co-op game. It is playable single player, but note that you will only be able to use co-op moves (like high jumping) where the game thinks you need them. It is pretty good about knowing when, but it also means you can't explore as easily.
-Unlike Epic Mickey 1, this game lets you fully backtrack. There may be a point of no return, but you can still normally revisit old areas.
-If you collect the movies inside of cartoons, you can then use the movie theater in mean street to fast travel directly to places, instead of having to hop from zone to zone.
-The game lets you make your own decisions on a lot of quests, but doesn't really reward being neutral. If you have the choice of turning in something to one of two quest givers, stick with one the entire quest.
-Don't destroy the air conditioning above the hat shop. It doubles the price of all clothes.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Any tips for resident evil 5? I really suck currently, I'm all thumbs with the controls.

A few questions though:

Is there any reason to keep a hold of the treasure I find and not sell them as soon as possible? Are they worth more if I sell them later?

Whats a good weapon to give to Sheva? She's only using the pistol currently despite here having a Rifle and 45-odd rounds. And which weapons should I work on upgrading first?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Spalec posted:

Any tips for resident evil 5? I really suck currently, I'm all thumbs with the controls.

A few questions though:

Is there any reason to keep a hold of the treasure I find and not sell them as soon as possible? Are they worth more if I sell them later?

Whats a good weapon to give to Sheva? She's only using the pistol currently despite here having a Rifle and 45-odd rounds. And which weapons should I work on upgrading first?

No, Sell treasure as soon as you need the money. Value doesn't increase.

As for Sheva, I usually kept her with a rifle and pistol. She usually won't use the bigger weapons unless you move her out of cover mode to attack mode.

Upgrade whatever you use the most, I usually upgraded my pistols before anything. I believe if you fully upgrade the first shotgun you find fully, you unlock another shotgun with triple barrels.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Spalec posted:

-[Uncharted] 2 is so much better then 1 it's ridiculous, it improves on literally every aspect of the game. (not to say 1 is bad, of course)
I just played 1 and started 2 and honestly I would say 1 is a bad game. It is still probably worth going through because the story and characters are so fun but the shooting and traversal gameplay is real garbage and doesn't hold up. The shooting in particular is just a total drag every time it comes up and was something I just suffered through. I was relieved to start 2 and find that it really does feel much better in every way, to me it feels like there is a console generation gap between the two games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Spalec posted:

A few questions though:

The best crowd control is shooting a dude in the head/knee to stun them, then running up and doing a roundhouse kick. Melee attacks do a ton of damage and knock everyone back.

e: Don't be afraid to headshot people because you fear a parasite will pop out. They're scripted and will always appear no matter where you shoot them. Save your flashbangs for these assholes for an instant kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bunleigh posted:

I just played 1 and started 2 and honestly I would say 1 is a bad game. It is still probably worth going through because the story and characters are so fun but the shooting and traversal gameplay is real garbage and doesn't hold up. The shooting in particular is just a total drag every time it comes up and was something I just suffered through. I was relieved to start 2 and find that it really does feel much better in every way, to me it feels like there is a console generation gap between the two games.

Oh thank god, it's not just me. The Uncharted games get so much praise I was starting to wonder if I was going insane.

U1's last few levels and final boss were so terrible that they killed any interest in the series for me, but if U2 is that much better I may at least rent it.