Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Blast of Confetti posted:

What's all this about a special build just for Xenoblade? All the links a few pages back are 404's now that they moved domains.

Here you go buddy: http://www.mediafire.com/?hpwyyf2y20keysk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Alright, I managed to fix my issue by unchecking Render to Main Window and now I have Windwaker going in 720p (my laptop doesn't do 1080 unfortunately) and running full speed constantly so I can't wait to get into it on my day off.

I'm playing with a 360 controller too. Emulators have come a long way from the last time I used one.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

I can't check right now, but is this dolphin-x64-icc-sse41-xbpatch31 or something entirely different?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haha, thanks! I want to get the game, but my Wii has some serious lock up problems and I can't justify dropping money on a new one right now.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Megalixir posted:

I can't check right now, but is this dolphin-x64-icc-sse41-xbpatch31 or something entirely different?

It's called: "Dolphin 3.0-377-g04a7e33-build by vlakipn". Back when I was trying to play Xenoblade on my aging computer I scoured the internet looking for ways to make it run well because for some reason this is a thing I do. I couldn't give you the details as the original source of the build seems to have vanished, but some guy on a forum somewhere did some programming wizardry and made a build of Dolphin for x64 OSes that addressed specifically all the problems for Xenoblade and nothing else. All I know is that it worked for me.

Keep in mind this build is really old by now, compiled on Jan 28 2010. There's a good chance the actual Dolphin emulator has progressed past it.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 12, 2012

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-patch-xenoblade-hle-audio-hack-fix?page=35

Here's the thread for the hack on the dolphin forums. Newest build is on that page.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm having an issue when using Cheats on Radiant Dawn. The game loads, everything is good but with cheats enabled it crashes as soon as a battle begins to load (mostly black screen) and I get this horrible tone until I reset. I'm using the gecko codes right now (well, just one but any code crashes it, not any particular one). Has anyone else had this problem or solved it?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Levantine posted:

I'm having an issue when using Cheats on Radiant Dawn. The game loads, everything is good but with cheats enabled it crashes as soon as a battle begins to load (mostly black screen) and I get this horrible tone until I reset. I'm using the gecko codes right now (well, just one but any code crashes it, not any particular one). Has anyone else had this problem or solved it?

Is there a master code you forgot to add? A lot of games require a code to disable anything a game might do to ensure the memory isn't being tampered with.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ohtsam posted:

Is there a master code you forgot to add? A lot of games require a code to disable anything a game might do to ensure the memory isn't being tampered with.

No, it doesn't appear so. I'm using one or two from this list: http://geckocodes.org/?c=RFEE01 and using the Dolphin Cheat manager. I'm fine until a battle needs to load and then I'm stuck.

EDIT: I even updated to the newest release and it still does the same thing. It's really strange, all my googling doesn't turn up anything even remotely like my problem. I'd figure at least someone had seen this before.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 13, 2012

Xuuel
Feb 20, 2010

Levantine posted:

No, it doesn't appear so. I'm using one or two from this list: http://geckocodes.org/?c=RFEE01 and using the Dolphin Cheat manager. I'm fine until a battle needs to load and then I'm stuck.

EDIT: I even updated to the newest release and it still does the same thing. It's really strange, all my googling doesn't turn up anything even remotely like my problem. I'd figure at least someone had seen this before.

I've had really weird issues trying to use codes in Radiant Dawn as well, such as half the codes just straight up not working for no reason. I think it might be a pretty finicky game to cheat with in general. Sorry this probably isn't all that helpful, but you're not alone at least!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Xuuel posted:

I've had really weird issues trying to use codes in Radiant Dawn as well, such as half the codes just straight up not working for no reason. I think it might be a pretty finicky game to cheat with in general. Sorry this probably isn't all that helpful, but you're not alone at least!

Thanks! Yeah, I can't really find much help on the topic but I can get a few codes working as long as they don't require battle to function (perfect level ups, etc). The money codes should be enough for what I'm trying to do - forging ridiculously light weapons should let me really play with the dumpier characters early on so that's what I'm doing instead.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I've got a problem with using a wii remote. I have one that I can confirm is working. I can sort of pair it to my USB bluetooth device, where it sees the remote as Nintendo RVL whatever and will attach it to the computer, but the four lights on the Wii remote keep blinking until I pull up dolphin and tell it to pair up, at which point I only get the first solid light, as if it paired correctly. But then... none of the buttons work. I try loading up Xenoblade(only game I have right now, just for testing) and I can't get past "press any button". Any ideas?

edit: This is an official Wii remote with no motion plus.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 13, 2012

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I've got a problem with using a wii remote. I have one that I can confirm is working. I can sort of pair it to my USB bluetooth device, where it sees the remote as Nintendo RVL whatever and will attach it to the computer, but the four lights on the Wii remote keep blinking until I pull up dolphin and tell it to pair up, at which point I only get the first solid light, as if it paired correctly. But then... none of the buttons work. I try loading up Xenoblade(only game I have right now, just for testing) and I can't get past "press any button". Any ideas?

edit: This is an official Wii remote with no motion plus.

Don't take this as an insult, just covering all of the bases: how do you have the inputs configured in Dolphin? Do you have it set to real Wiimote rather than emulated wiimote?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I did. I figured it out just now, fortunately: I had to not sync it with Windows first. Not sure if that's a Windows 8 issue or what but it makes things a little easier because all I have to do is go into dolphin and hit "pair up" while holding the buttons down on my remote.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a way to make games look better besides changing the resolution? Xenoblade still looks like an early PS2 game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is there a way to make games look better besides changing the resolution? Xenoblade still looks like an early PS2 game.

That's a pretty massive stretch. I have a feeling you forgot what early PS2 games actually looked like.

Anyways, it's an emulator, there's only so much you can do. Per Pixel Lighting can make some games look better, but it can bit hit-or-miss in my opinion. There are people who make high resolution texture replacement packs for some games, but I'm unsure if there's one for Xenoblade, or if it's any good.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Well, people are working on a HD retexture.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Are you requesting Xenoblade screenshots, or what?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I know a lot of people think Xenoblade is gorgeous and it is in some ways but in others it really sucks that it had to be a Wii game because drat. On one hand the first time you emerge onto the leg is amazing, on the other hand look at that lip syncing. And everything is just a flat texture. And the grass. And they do what they can with the lighting but if you come straight off of a game on an actual HD console and then play Xenoblade you can really see the sacrifices they had to make.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Is there a foolproof way of having a wiimote automatically pair up with Dolphin? I have to manually pair it up with windows every time after either the computer or remote turns off. I've done some googling and there doesn't seem to be a standard way of getting it working.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I've never seen worse pop-in in a game than in Xenoblade Chronicles' jungle area. It's a pretty ugly game; also the character designs are pretty stupid looking.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

F. Lobot posted:

I've never seen worse pop-in in a game than in Xenoblade Chronicles' jungle area. It's a pretty ugly game; also the character designs are pretty stupid looking.

Well, there is a high-texture patch being made for Xenoblade - however, I would advise against insulting the game itself - many goons don't kindly to it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Low res textures are not really the issue. It is noticeable, but so is the sheer repetition of the textures, and a million other things. It's a Wii game, no fan patch is going to fix that short of porting all of the content to a new engine Black Mesa-style.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

RadicalR posted:

Well, there is a high-texture patch being made for Xenoblade - however, I would advise against insulting the game itself - many goons don't kindly to it.

Oh goodness. Goons like a game? Better talk about it positively at all times. I don't want the wrath of the goon.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

bunky posted:

Oh goodness. Goons like a game? Better talk about it positively at all times. I don't want the wrath of the goon.

Eh, no, I just get tired of seeing goons making GBS threads up a perfectly good thread with the white knights and detractors.

Anyways, I'll withdraw now. My apologies for stepping on anyone's foot.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

bunky posted:

I like the game, but certainly not for its graphical prowess. Keep in mind that this was a launch window game in Japan, so developers weren't familiar with what boundaries could and couldn't be pushed.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

F. Lobot posted:

I like the game, but certainly not for its graphical prowess. Keep in mind that this was a launch window game in Japan, so developers weren't familiar with what boundaries could and couldn't be pushed.

Yes, because it's a well known fact the Wii was delayed numerous times in Japan. They were lucky to get it as soon as June 2010, given how soon the Wii U came around.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

F. Lobot posted:

I'm not speaking on the game itself, but on RadicalR being scared to step out of bounds of what he/she seems to think a "goon" is.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

F. Lobot posted:

I guess I just don't understand the complaints. It's probably the best looking non-cartoony Wii game out there. I know that's not saying a lot, since the Wii has weak hardware, but still. I don't really know what people are trying to compare it against.

Also it's not even close to a launch window game.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
That's because people do not actually know what a comparison to a PS1 game is, it is just something that people say. "I spent like a million dollars on Black Friday" translates to "I spent around $150 on Black Friday". This gap.

Xenoblade could easily pass for a PS3/360 game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Megalixir posted:

Xenoblade could easily pass for a PS3/360 game.

I'll admit it seems kinda immaterial to be talking about Xenoblade's graphics, but seriously, no way, even with the internal resolution and AA cranked up in Dolphin. There's things it literally just does not do that current gen games do.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
You can definitely see the limitations of the Wii hardware when it comes to a game like Xenoblades, but I think it does its best to push the Wii to its limits and then some.

I am quite fond of how it looks, there are some low res textures and ginormous polygons for some of the environmental stuff but eeh, doesn't really detract.

Also this is a cheap excuse for a screenshot why not.

I think it holds up well. I had way way more screenshots, but for some reason, they are MIA.. I'm not sure what Steam did with them...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

F. Lobot posted:

It's pretty awesome actually, for a wii game. Don't troll.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'll admit it seems kinda immaterial to be talking about Xenoblade's graphics, but seriously, no way, even with the internal resolution and AA cranked up in Dolphin. There's things it literally just does not do that current gen games do.

No it'll never be on the same level as Killzone 3 or FF13/13-2 but it could easily be a release game if the textures were a bit better.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 18, 2012

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

There are graphically inferior games on both PS3 and 360 consoles at this point. Are you suggesting that this couldn't be sold as a PS3 or 360 title?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Megalixir posted:

There are graphically inferior games on both PS3 and 360 consoles at this point. Are you suggesting that this couldn't be sold as a PS3 or 360 title?

Which games on the 360/PS3 are technically inferior? I honestly can't think of any. Not saying they absolutely do not exist, but I can't think of them.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Deadly Premonition would be an obvious one.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Which games on the 360/PS3 are technically inferior? I honestly can't think of any. Not saying they absolutely do not exist, but I can't think of them.

Atelier Totori, Atelier Rorona, Ar tonelico 3, Darksiders, Oneechanbara, Agarest, Earth Defense Force 2017, Bullet Witch, Blue Dragon, Two Worlds, X-Blades, Lost Planet, basically any Dynasty Warriors game,

These are the ones that I have played. There are literally dozens of 2006-2010 releases which are graphically inferior, I just can't think of them at the moment or haven't played them, like Ninety Nine Nights or Folklore.

Not implying they're all bad games, but not something I would say are visually better than Xenoblade.

Megalixir fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 18, 2012

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

With Xenoblade, though, the thing that I think gives some of the graphics some breathing room is the stellar art direction. Because the environments are SO unique, I rarely noticed the fact that textures were muddy sometimes and there was pop-in.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I know for sure that Darksiders and Lost Planet would not run on a Wii. Haven't really played the others but are you confusing the technical aspects of the graphics with literally just looking good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I know for sure that Darksiders and Lost Planet would not run on a Wii. Haven't really played the others but are you confusing the technical aspects of the graphics with literally just looking good?

He's not saying the game is as technically impressive as 360/PS3 games, he's saying it looks better than some of them. You're the one bringing technical aspects into the discussion.

• Locked thread